Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 20, 2014 10:51 PM
Jul 2014
does anyone think that the art of the action during matches are too static like it doesn't convey enough emotion, like it does in the manga, and its hard to follow the play on screen because it doesn't show an overhead display like it does in the manga

this is a great manga but idk if it will be a successful anime.....

any thoughts on this guys?

PS. im new here made an account just for this lol
Jul 20, 2014 11:24 PM

Aug 2009
Well I do consider the animation to be lacking in some aspects and not as fluid as other recent anime. But I just consider it to be the style in which the production company chose to go with. Usually they try to stick close to the manga in terms of style, tone, setting etc. So even though it is static at moments, I don't feel the need to complain about it because it's like that for a reason.

Every anime is unique within its on right and most of the time it can or will be different from its source material. I just accept it for what it is. I'm just grateful it's an animation and not just a manga anymore. Although I love manga!

So I think it is a successful anime. It gives us the experience of witnessing an intense match close up along with Ei-chans monologues. Also allowing us to visualize the tennis match through another medium. Even if some of the plays are static I've always understood what was going on and where the ball went.
So those are just my thoughts about it :)

Jul 20, 2014 11:29 PM
Jul 2014
lovexLuffy said:
Well I do consider the animation to be lacking in some aspects and not as fluid as other recent anime. But I just consider it to be the style in which the production company chose to go with. Usually they try to stick close to the manga in terms of style, tone, setting etc. So even though it is static at moments, I don't feel the need to complain about it because it's like that for a reason.

Every anime is unique within its on right and most of the time it can or will be different from its source material. I just accept it for what it is. I'm just grateful it's an animation and not just a manga anymore. Although I love manga!

So I think it is a successful anime. It gives us the experience of witnessing an intense match close up along with Ei-chans monologues. Also allowing us to visualize the tennis match through another medium. Even if some of the plays are static I've always understood what was going on and where the ball went.
So those are just my thoughts about it :)

oh no im not complaining here its just that i feel that this anime only appeals to people that have read the manga and imo i think that this is because of the art being lacking and i think with some touch up it could be a popular anime...

with a plethora of anime coming out this season baby steps lack appeal to viewers compare to anime like haikyu, pingpong, etc it just doesn't pop you know?
Jul 21, 2014 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
I've never read the manga, but I can still understand it fine. I don't think you really need overhead shots to understand tennis unless there's a close out (like Wimbledon's hawkeye), so long as you're reading the subs for the calls. I do watch real life tennis regularly though, so that might be helping me out. I definitely didn't need to pay attention to any of the rule explanation to understand the terms/why they were doing what they were. In fact, this anime's so realistic with the tennis it portrays that I don't think it's really possible for it to be hard to understand when you understand tennis itself. It's more just a case of listening to the rules, like any sports anime with an unfamiliar sport. It's not like they weren't successfully making sports animes in the 70s and 80s with similarly jerky animation.
Jul 21, 2014 4:51 AM

Jul 2010
Indeed, there is a lack of quality and good animations but for me that doesn't hinder my enjoyment for this show so that's fine.
Jul 24, 2014 6:19 AM

Mar 2010
I agree with the OP.

The manga is AMAZING!!! While i just get slightly disappointed while watching the anime :(

But i can assure you that if you like the anime you will love the manga even more.
Jul 26, 2014 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
Akanezora said:
Indeed, there is a lack of quality and good animations but for me that doesn't hinder my enjoyment for this show so that's fine.

^
Jul 26, 2014 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
There are times when I find the manga expresses its point more dynamically, but I find it hard to fault the anime for anything more than a low budget. It's a serviceably enjoyable adaption of a fantastic sports manga, and it's great to experience the matches (and Eiichiro's growth) all over again.

Also: I didn't start as a manga reader. I think I got maybe four or five episodes in before deciding that the experience was too good to wait it out; I had to find out what happened next.

So in that way, I think the show's succeeding. :)
Jul 27, 2014 10:50 PM
Jul 2014
currycurry said:
There are times when I find the manga expresses its point more dynamically, but I find it hard to fault the anime for anything more than a low budget. It's a serviceably enjoyable adaption of a fantastic sports manga, and it's great to experience the matches (and Eiichiro's growth) all over again.

Also: I didn't start as a manga reader. I think I got maybe four or five episodes in before deciding that the experience was too good to wait it out; I had to find out what happened next.

So in that way, I think the show's succeeding. :)

wow its great you pick it up glad its drawing in viewer even tho the animation is low budget, i do hope it gets better budget for the animation if it gets popular

so i just saw ep17 araya vs takuma match and the animation seem to got better its more fluid, i like where they are going with this
BossVinnyDXJul 27, 2014 10:59 PM
Jul 27, 2014 10:54 PM
Jul 2014
straggy said:
I've never read the manga, but I can still understand it fine. I don't think you really need overhead shots to understand tennis unless there's a close out (like Wimbledon's hawkeye), so long as you're reading the subs for the calls. I do watch real life tennis regularly though, so that might be helping me out. I definitely didn't need to pay attention to any of the rule explanation to understand the terms/why they were doing what they were. In fact, this anime's so realistic with the tennis it portrays that I don't think it's really possible for it to be hard to understand when you understand tennis itself. It's more just a case of listening to the rules, like any sports anime with an unfamiliar sport. It's not like they weren't successfully making sports animes in the 70s and 80s with similarly jerky animation.

i follow tennis in real life too i can follow it fine in anime actually but my point is it isn't great animation compared to others sport anime this season and that might put it at a disadvantage, for those that haven't read the manga the might choose shows like haikyuu and ping pong over it. just wondering what other thoughts were
Jul 28, 2014 4:28 AM

Apr 2013
The animation fluctuates a bit. It could just be my imagination but it looks as though the animation is better during the matches than during normal screen time when you can clearly see the poor quality of animation. There is another problem too, the onlookers of a match look a bit like mannequins. The pace is slower too, if you compare it to other sports anime like Slam Dunk or Prince of Tennis but that does not mean it has no good points. Compared to Prince it's waaaaaay more realistic and the matches are pretty interesting ( though not as exciting) and thus IMO it's a good anime. Now as to whether it's great or not, well I suppose we must wait to see how it ends, though to be honest it doesn't look like it'll be much successful.
Oh well ( shrugs and then posts the comment).
Jul 28, 2014 7:11 AM
Jan 2014
I personally don't have any problem with that, as an anime-only watcher.
But I'm not a big fan of the character designs. Due to the animation quality, I have a feeling that I'm watching something from the early 2000s. Also paired with that oldschool sounding OST. But hey it's Pierrot, after all.
Jul 28, 2014 11:04 AM

Jun 2014
Well the character design comes from the manga ^^'...
They are actually really well adapted in my opinion.

Isin't tennis a kind of old school sport anyways ? :P

The animations aren't amazing, but its hard to animate a full tennis match i'm sure.. i hope a future season might get a bigger budget ^^
Jul 28, 2014 9:30 PM

Jul 2012
BossVinnyDX said:
so i just saw ep17 araya vs takuma match and the animation seem to got better its more fluid, i like where they are going with this

Yes definitely. I really liked the usage of CGI there. They have redeemed themselves from those shitty CGI audiences a few episodes ago. LOL
Aug 1, 2014 11:14 AM
Jul 2012
i feel the same, as someone who loves the manga this adaptation feels rather lackluster
Aug 5, 2014 7:37 PM

Jul 2012
So I'm also watching Prince of Tennis which is the other biggest tennis anime and Baby Steps has better tennis animation overall, even if everything else has flaws (CG audience, proportional errors etc.). So overall, the animation is solid for Baby Steps, as long as the sports are animated well.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.