Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2014 10:55 PM

Jun 2013
Ok episode, but since they are messing with the timeline I'm not even sure where they are going with this anymore.

Hinami cute as ever! Uta being Uta, and the Gourmet showing his smug face so early.

But censoring Hinami eating a "steak" with a side of fingers...sigh!

Enjoying the pics in the ED!
Jul 17, 2014 10:56 PM

Jun 2013
Wowzers I don't remember some of these parts from the manga :o but must keep watching on, this is too good.

Good to see Mado and Amon. Hope to see some badass fights in the future
Jul 17, 2014 11:15 PM

May 2014
Praying to god that they remove the censors. Also liking Hinami's character, really innocent like. Anyone else notice how Touka is acting really tsundere? Really hope they don't go that way.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jul 17, 2014 11:41 PM
Nov 2013
There was a lot going on, but it was all really fucking good. Are ghouls supposed to be that easy to kill?
Jul 17, 2014 11:49 PM

Jun 2014
That mask looks awesome, even though it didn't pop up this episode.
r0ykun said:
There was a lot going on, but it was all really fucking good. Are ghouls supposed to be that easy to kill?
I think those guys were just that awesome that they make it look easy. Like Levi from attack on Titan.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 18, 2014 12:50 AM

Feb 2013
This seemed like just a plot anchor to me. The first two episodes started out so strong and this episode just seems to be so mellow. Oh well, I'm excited to see what is in store in the future.
Jul 18, 2014 1:05 AM

Jul 2013
Uta and Toka are pretty much the spotlight in this episode. Uta's character was pretty something that has a calm nature and being to friendly to Kaneki, where he needs help of putting on a mask on.

Even though Toka is pretty harsh and cold to Kaneki, she has that soft side in here where she worries about Hinami and sometimes feel uneasy when hanging out with him. It's funny when she says Baka to him XD. Wait is Toka afraid of birds, well that's something :D.

Hinami feels like a fresh character when interacting with Kaneki, even though she is a ghoul in reality.

Those Dove detectives were pretty brutal to those Ghouls. Well the censorship doesn't bother me, don't care if it's that or uncensored as long as I am entertained with the story. Wonder who is that guy at the end of the episode...

Jul 18, 2014 1:06 AM

Feb 2014
that censorship >.<
Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers
Jul 18, 2014 1:20 AM

Feb 2010
Mado is so freaking creepy. >.<

I think my favorite scene in this episode was Kaneki having that conversation with Hinami. I honestly thought it was kinda sweet. :)
Jul 18, 2014 1:56 AM

Nov 2012
Nothing big happened on this episode, but seems next one is gonna be good.
Jul 18, 2014 2:35 AM
Jan 2011
OMG

At the very start of this episode they guy cracking his knuckles with the one hand I do that
Jul 18, 2014 2:41 AM

Sep 2011
I got a great idea, guys.

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Stop talking about the manga already. This isn't the place to do it.
Jul 18, 2014 2:41 AM

Nov 2013
I'm in love with that ED seriously.

Kaneki continues to be a wuss. Hope he doesn't end up like Ganta from Deadman Wonderland.
FunnyRatmanJul 18, 2014 2:48 AM

Jul 18, 2014 2:52 AM

Mar 2010
Chabe said:
Kaneki's screaming ruins every scene he's in. Really sick of anime characters who scream at everything, why are they so friggin common?

That's massive exaggeration. The parts where he freaks out are only when he sees something unsettling like Hinami eating or a random from out of nowhere corpse. This because he is not used to this type of things yet.

You forgot that literally just a day or two ago he was just human who would never encountered any of this under normal circumstances. So it's an entirely realistic that he adjusting to a new life.
Iron_MawJul 18, 2014 3:45 AM
Jul 18, 2014 3:14 AM

Oct 2013
illiara said:
I have to say, this one much better than the last week.
Good job. The cens part is not that bad

yeah. I like Uta.
Jul 18, 2014 4:22 AM

May 2013
The censorship is killing me. That Uta guy is really something. He's weird but he keeps his cool.
'Doves' are tracking down ghouls. I'm excited to see Kaneki wear his mask.
Jul 18, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
I like Uta :D

I think Kaneki's reaction to seeing uh..ghoulish stuff is normal. You live a quiet and normal life and then suddenly you find out you're not human anymore. You're thrust in a world where people eating other people and corpses are the norm. You can't adapt just like that. I'd be more worried about his character if he was instantly cool with it to be honest.

Also, red suit and purple hair? Someone call the fashion police.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 18, 2014 5:12 AM

Apr 2012
I think it's better for me to wait for the BD. I have enough other anime to watch :/
Jul 18, 2014 5:16 AM

May 2010
Touka is very cool, like her even more now. Hinami is a bit different than what I imagined from her first appearance, she is really cute!

So that's Gourmet. He has a narcissistic aura to him.
Jul 18, 2014 7:40 AM
Apr 2014
That censorship is still bothering me to be honest. I'm seriously thinking of dropping this and see whether the manga is worth it, and maybe rewatch it when it's finished and the uncensored episodes are available. And at least our MC realizes he's an ignorant pain in the ass for the rest, but he's working hard on it and slowly adapting, as his conversation with Hinami showed.

Rushed episode, but not bad. The mask guy is real chill, I like his type of character (reminds me a bit of Leeron - seemingly playful, but sharp, intelligent and really good at pr). I forgot who Hinami was already -_- Was that in the last episode, or was she introduced in this one?
UnleashTheGoatJul 18, 2014 7:43 AM
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Jul 18, 2014 8:21 AM

Jun 2014
Jagd84 said:
Chabe said:
Kaneki's screaming ruins every scene he's in. Really sick of anime characters who scream at everything, why are they so friggin common?

That's massive exaggeration. The parts where he freaks out are only when he sees something unsettling like Hinami eating or a random from out of nowhere corpse. This because he is not used to this type of things yet.

You forgot that literally just a day or two ago he was just human who would never encountered any of this under normal circumstances. So it's an entirely realistic that he adjusting to a new life.

If you scream more than once in an ep you're an annoying screaming pansy. It is not a natural reaction unless you're seven years old. Even family members who see their relatives in gory states only scream once. Most people have enough intelligence and experience to adapt after the first couple of times. It's frankly rude that he screams at people just trying to eat, they should be offended.

I didn't forget anything. Adjusting to something doesn't involve overreacting to it a thousand times beforehand. He could run off and wretch somewhere or close the door and hyperventilate, that'd be adjusting to his new life without the unnecessary noise. Real people don't just scream at upsetting things constantly. They'd be disgusted by them, but screaming is for kids. He's a little bundle of sticks.
Jul 18, 2014 8:46 AM

May 2013
Awesome episode c:
Jul 18, 2014 11:11 AM

Mar 2008
dat censoring..
fucking annoying
Jul 18, 2014 11:48 AM

May 2011
Bahhh. Hinami sounds really cute. MUST PROTECT.
Jul 18, 2014 11:54 AM

Jul 2014
well am glad that I got to see another episode , in this ep I saw more story Tbh but I guess there was less action over all I liked the episode can't wait for more :3
Jul 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Aug 2013
All the characters are so bland and boring. Main character is a typical anime guy but they expect him to be interesting just cause he's half Ghoul.

Predictable plot, inconsistent animation, and "psychological" elements that are obviously trying too hard. It's completely beyond me why the score of this is more than Zankyou no Terror...
Jul 18, 2014 1:53 PM

Apr 2014
rasenshiruken973 said:
All the characters are so bland and boring. Main character is a typical anime guy but they expect him to be interesting just cause he's half Ghoul.

Predictable plot, inconsistent animation, and "psychological" elements that are obviously trying too hard. It's completely beyond me why the score of this is more than Zankyou no Terror...

Predictable plot? Ok then please do tell what's so predictable about this? Not every character starts out op like Sora in NGNL and I would've seriously disliked this if mc was like Sora. I doubt anyone would've liked it if he acted fine and carefree. You have yet to see all the characters and you're already claiming they're bland. Sheesh..
Jul 18, 2014 1:56 PM

Nov 2013
rasenshiruken973 said:

Maybe because ZnT didn't do something that much better than TG?
Honestly, it's only running on staff names. And yes so is Aldnoah.Zero but in this one's case there are a lot of A-1 Pictures and Urobuchi haters so it balances out.
Jul 18, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2010
Welcome Hisoka from HxH to Tokyou Ghoul! xD

Good adaption :)
Jul 18, 2014 3:51 PM

Jun 2013
I started reading this manga because it was becoming an anime and I'm so glad I did! It's true that Kaneki sometimes annoys me but he's a cutie pie so I forgive him (tehe).

Uta-san! So different from what I thought ,in my imagination he was going to have a deeper voice but I still love it because he's a cutie.

But...I wanted to talk about THE GOURMET: I KNEWWWWW, in the moment he opened the door and just took a deep breathe I knew his seiyuu was going to be Mamoru Miyano, the character still a creep but the seiyuu so awesome! ♥
Jul 18, 2014 4:19 PM

Jul 2013
eXtacy67 said:
-470M5K- said:

You should drop it. MC never changes from his bland and pathetic state.

Really, no character development... that's disappointing. What about the story, is it any good.

He's probably trolling, from what I've seen Kaneki changes a lot.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jul 18, 2014 4:36 PM

Jul 2010
The new fancy guy looks fucking amazing.
So how is this faithful to the manga so far?
Jul 18, 2014 4:40 PM

Aug 2013
Ok, so it look like Toka is scared of bird. Sure is an odd thing when you have those surhuman power xD

A new guy appear. He seem like he's seeking trouble.

The little girl have such a huge death flag on her head. Maybe she'll not die soon, but she will die eventually, probably to act as a motivator factor for Ken.

That old jiji is too perfect to be true. I mean, he must be hiding a dark secret or something, he's just too kind...

We got to see how the ghoul in the old man faction (forgot the name) lives. They are pretty much like humans and doesn't seem too dangerous. But I guess they can make no distinction in the CGI...

The only flaw I see in that show so far (and it's sadly an annoying one) is the sensoring. It's weird because it was really light in the first episode, but now it's pretty much everywhere. I'm almost tempted to just wait for the BD but it would be too long...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 18, 2014 4:58 PM

Apr 2014
Akanezora said:

Some of the scenes have been reordered other then that its quite faithful so far.
Jul 18, 2014 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
ohai miyano mamoru
Jul 18, 2014 6:42 PM

Mar 2014
New girl is cute. That creepy white hair guy is well....creepy. Oh and that little ending with the bird, "Can we deep fry it?" lol
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 18, 2014 7:53 PM

Jun 2013
Hinami-chan kawaii~

That new guy is rockin the bright orange suit
Jul 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2014
what do have those bird dudes to defeat Ghouls? O.o
Also, if the blood is uncensored, why the damn flesh
is censored? xD well time to wait for a next episode
Jul 18, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2012
I was really looking forward to seeing Uta in the anime, he's one of my favorite characters and I knew he would look awesome in the anime version.

Liked the episode, wondering how the merge of both arcs is going to result, hoping won't mess up. And I'm not really sure but
that was the only thing that I noticed may be different from the manga.

Was the censorship really necessary? the steak could have gone unnoticed as human meat and the fingers wouldn't be recognizable from that distance. Still didn't bother me.
Jul 18, 2014 10:18 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty ok episode but Im really itching for a good fight scene; lots of blood and carnage and censoring.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 18, 2014 10:37 PM
May 2014
Akanezora said:

Well... They are skipping some scenes, they don't really matter for story progression though. They are also kind of changing the order of things happening, it looks like. They presented a character too soon. Hinami's father situation was a bit different in the manga as well.
Overall, I'd say it's pretty faithful. Not a direct copy, of course, but I think it's for the better if they are planning on fitting it in a low amount of episodes
Jul 18, 2014 10:43 PM
Jun 2011
LaHaine said:
Akanezora said:

Well... They are skipping some scenes, they don't really matter for story progression though. They are also kind of changing the order of things happening, it looks like. They presented a character too soon. Hinami's father situation was a bit different in the manga as well.
Overall, I'd say it's pretty faithful. Not a direct copy, of course, but I think it's for the better if they are planning on fitting it in a low amount of episodes

Remember we arent sure if its 12 episodes or not
Jul 19, 2014 12:04 AM

Sep 2010
I've been pretty unimpressed with how faithful the anime adaptation has been. The way jason and the doves are being shoehorned in at this stage is extremely jarring, and the character development has been a little rushed, making it feel forced.

The censorship is also ridiculous, considering the manga it is adapting. I've also been disappointed with the art and animation quality thus far, but that may be because I've been spoiled by the beautiful manga art for so long.

The episode was a 3 of of 5 for me. The last two have both been 3s too, so this isn't boding too well seeing as my response to each episode has generally been 'meh'.

I'd encourage anyone who is watching the series to give the manga a proper chance in case the anime ruins it for you.
Jul 19, 2014 1:56 AM

Jul 2011
IS IT JUST ME OR THAT UTA GUY IS REALLY SEXY?!!!!

That detective "Amon" is quite cute too, and that one guy who went on food shopping with Kaneki... and Hide too, omg this anime is filled with hotties or am i just horny??!!

btw i'm not a manga reader but so far this anime has been SUPER enjoyable and intriguing, but i saw some people whining about pacing... is it really that rushed? are there many stuff from the manga skipped in the anime? should i pick up the manga? So far the anime has been soooooo awesome and my only complaint is the censoring, i'm not a fan nor im afraid of gore or something but the gore aspect in this anime is an important aspect that compliments the atmosphere, so yeah, the censoring is unfortunate but as long as the anime follow the manga respectfully and not skipping any stuff from the manga, im fine with it, so, should i pick the manga?
Jul 19, 2014 2:51 AM
Oct 2012
Chabe said:
Jagd84 said:

If you scream more than once in an ep you're an annoying screaming pansy. It is not a natural reaction unless you're seven years old. Even family members who see their relatives in gory states only scream once. Most people have enough intelligence and experience to adapt after the first couple of times. It's frankly rude that he screams at people just trying to eat, they should be offended.

I didn't forget anything. Adjusting to something doesn't involve overreacting to it a thousand times beforehand. He could run off and wretch somewhere or close the door and hyperventilate, that'd be adjusting to his new life without the unnecessary noise. Real people don't just scream at upsetting things constantly. They'd be disgusted by them, but screaming is for kids. He's a little bundle of sticks.

You think he's gonna take a look at a messed up corpse and be like: meh, seen that before.
Seeing a little girl eating human parts on a plate isn't just 'upsetting' lmao.
Jul 19, 2014 3:11 AM

Sep 2013
Hinami was probably eating a penis, maybe that's why it was censored.

That guy at the end with his red tux must be a ladiesman. :p

Jul 19, 2014 3:15 AM

Dec 2013
Good episode, methinks. Haven't read the manga so all this talk about multiple arcs getting started is just flying over my head like *Whooosh~*.

Not that I mind though, I'll probably start the manga once this is over. The premises is interesting enough, and I could definitely do without all the silly censoring they put into this show.
I like how we're finally getting to know there are several factions like the Doves, which seem like a legit government organization that wants to eradicate the ghouls from Japan, the Ghouls themselves who are located in different zones/districts (some more dangerous than others, sounds like your typical human dynamic), the Jasons, who seem to be some sort of Ghoul hunting monster. Then you got ignorant humans who don't know better, and then you got those "in between" people like Kaneki and that Doctor's family (still don't know what white suit wanted from him though, I'm plenty curious).
Also can't wait to see the mask. I don't really get what they mean by needing it to hide themselves from the Doves though. So far in all the encounters that I've seen between those ghouls and the Dove guys, I haven't seen a single mask on the Ghouls. It seems like those dove guys already know how to differentiate ghouls from humans, so whats the point really?
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 19, 2014 3:29 AM

Mar 2013
zachfoss said:
That guy at the end with his red tux must be a ladiesman. :p

I'm pretty sure this is sarcastic, maybe not, but either way I'm laughing really hard omg. Tsukiyama is so ridiculous, he's amazing.
Jul 19, 2014 3:47 AM

Jan 2014
millo said:
IS IT JUST ME OR THAT UTA GUY IS REALLY SEXY?!!!!

That detective "Amon" is quite cute too, and that one guy who went on food shopping with Kaneki... and Hide too, omg this anime is filled with hotties or am i just horny??!!

btw i'm not a manga reader but so far this anime has been SUPER enjoyable and intriguing, but i saw some people whining about pacing... is it really that rushed? are there many stuff from the manga skipped in the anime? should i pick up the manga? So far the anime has been soooooo awesome and my only complaint is the censoring, i'm not a fan nor im afraid of gore or something but the gore aspect in this anime is an important aspect that compliments the atmosphere, so yeah, the censoring is unfortunate but as long as the anime follow the manga respectfully and not skipping any stuff from the manga, im fine with it, so, should i pick the manga?

Ikr? If there's one thing Tokyo Ghoul does right it's definitely its boys. All them bishounen and shit.

I suggest you pick up the manga: a tiny bit different from the anime as the pacing is significantly slower and the order of some events have been re-arranged, but it really doesn't feel dragged on(and the build up of events leading to Kaneki's realization that he's a ghoul was handled better imho). Oh and the outfits for all the characters change clothes regularly, and that's a totally valid plus.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jul 19, 2014 5:22 AM

Jan 2014
Urek said:
oh well, censoring again...

guess i'll rewatch the uncensored one later...
for those wondering what she is eating... it is human meat with finger as french fries (at least what i know from manga)

found it

also, quote from the wide internet:
"In most anime, when a male MC accidentally walks in on a girl, he sees her naked.
In this anime, when the male MC accidentally walks in on a girl, he sees her eating a corpse.
I like this show."

That quote had me cracking up. XD

This show is definitely one of the best of summer so far, just hope they keep up the good work for the remaining episodes.
Somehow, I feel like Zankyou no Terror gives off the same vibe, even though they're obviously different genres. Maybe it's the art? Not sure...
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.