Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Mar 2014
Selamat pagi mina! It's about time I put up an actual anime discussion thread so here it is.

Name your favorite anime titles based on the following viewpoints.

[The best anime]: This is the anime you feel is the best. Not necessarily your favorite but you feel as though it was so well made that even someone who dislikes the genre would find it amazing. Although it might not be your #1 favorite you find it hard to imagine that anyone would not put this anime on their top 10.

[The turning point]: This is the anime that left the biggest impact on you as a person. It completely changed the way you view anime and perhaps even the world.

[Personal Preference]: Your favorite anime based on your own personal preferences. Some people may like it, some people may not. You do not care because nothing will take away from how much you enjoyed this anime. For whatever reason, this anime just made you way to happy.

[Honorable mention]: One of your favorite anime that seems under appreciated. This is similar to personal preference except for the fact that you feel people should like it more than they do.

[Over rated](Extra): The anime that everyone seems to love but you just can't handle it for whatever reason.

I look forward to seeing your responses. You may add as much or as little detail as you wish.

Feel free to comment on peoples opinions. You may criticize or praise other viewpoints.

Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 12, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2014

[The best anime]: I was deciding between FMA:B and Steins;Gate but I had to give it to Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It is simply to well rounded in every aspect. The characters, their development, the music, the art, the plot... They were all way to good. In terms of sheer anime powerhouse, FMA:B is the most solid piece of art in the anime industry.

[My turning point]: For me this would be Princess Mononoke. This movie was my introduction to anime. If it were not for this movie (as well as Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli) I would have never become the anime fan that I am today.

[Personal Preference]: I would give this to the Monogatari series as a whole. More specifically Monogatari: Second season. Loved by many, disdained by a few, nothing can take away from how much I love this series. I love all the characters (fuk you Hanakawa you don't count). I love the animation style as well as top notch quality. I love the music and of course, it has the best dialogue of any animu.

[Honorable Mention]: Nichijou... Yes I created the honorable mention tag just so that I could include Nichijou

[Over Rated]: Man there are a lot for this one... I would put SAO but that would be too cliche... For now i'll go with Neon Genesis Evangelion. This anime was so boring and annoying. Waah waaah QQ whatever, i'm over it.
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

1 2 3 4
Jul 12, 2014 6:06 PM

Dec 2013
The best Anime: I'm going with Steins;Gate it's hard to see anyone disliking it, the OST is great great the character designs are appealing in an artistic way and amazing writing which in a time travel anime is unexpectedly hard to do...

My turning point: Strangely my turning point was the Full Metal Panic series before that i watched ''cartoons'' that weren't really anime yu-gi-oh and Naruto

Personal Preference: Definitely Katanagatari the journey of acquiring your humanity driven by love, was charming and i could never stop watching it finished it in one sitting despite it's episode length

Honorable Mention: The xxxHolic series, i love supernatural and nothing screams supernatural like xxxHolic the usual clamp art style didn't stop me from loving the myths of old shown in a modern setting

Over Rated: Gintama, i'm sorry but it's not as good as everyone says it is the pace seems to drag and since i don't understand Jpanese, the puns fly by me making it very boring
Jul 12, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2011
The best anime: Its legend of the galactic heroes hands down sure its 110 episodes and its old but my god it keeps you entertained and gives you 5/6 of the best characters in anime

My turning point: Elfen Lied without this show I wouldn't be into anime sure the characters are shit bar one but I cant dislike this show and it has the lillium op which is just fantastic

Personal preference: okay im gonna be awkward and pick two here Code geass Lelouch Lelouch Lelouch I love the guy I love the ost and it reminds me ot LOTGH and the second White Album 2 im a massive romance guy and I loved everything about this show the two girls are likeable the guy has basic human intelligence and the soundtrack oh my god its amazing

Honourable mention: Gankutsuou a show that doesn't get the amount of attention it deserves story had me gripped and has a unique art style

Over rated: can I just list like 100s....I was gonna say gintama but hawkeye got there first so.... Number 1: Clannad the characters in Clannad are piss boring Nagisa I just hate her the ending was stupid go watch Kanon 2006 its far superior. Second one Attack on titan I just dont get it im sorry Erens annoying as hell and him being able to turn into a titan just ruins the show for me.
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jul 12, 2014 6:45 PM

Mar 2014
earnshaw30 said:

Over rated: can I just list like 100s....I was gonna say gintama but hawkeye got there first so.... Number 1: Clannad the characters in Clannad are piss boring Nagisa I just hate her the ending was stupid go watch Kanon 2006 its far superior.

Okay I could see how some might think Clannad is over rated but Kanon 2006 is in no way superior.

I need to finish Gankestu, I hear a lot of good things about it.
Shiny_GoomyJul 12, 2014 7:27 PM
Redheadphones said:

1 2 3 4
Jul 12, 2014 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
The Best Anime - Death Note. Need I say anything else?

My Turning Point - My choice will be the first anime I watched and rewatched 3 times: Naruto. This anime was the one that made me realise: "OMG, are all animes as epic as this one? (clearly a faulty assumption but whatever)". If it wasn't for this anime I most certainly would not be here.

Personal preference and Honorable Mention - Naruto: Shippuuden. Well, for me it is the best (forgive me, but I've not watched many anime). The fights, the emotions, everything. For me, this anime is happiness itself. Why did I include this anime in Honorable Mention as well? It's all about the fillers. Fillers, fillers, fillers. People hate fillers. Therefore, they start hating anime that have them. Hence the under-appreciation (in my humble opinion) of this anime. Well, I love fillers. I'm sorry, I just do I would marry those sons of bitches. People can't see that fillers keep the dream alive; they allow you to keep watching those amazing characters and fell that home-like feeling for longer. What else could I ask for? We all get so sad when an awesome show ends (Death Note, for example) because we loved it so much, BUT, when some anime throws some fillers out everybody loses their minds! They can't see that fillers are like angels that keep us away from the sadness of the end... (sorry if I got too emotional or slushy there, I just had to get that out of my system.)

Over Rated - Elfen Lied (I got a short list; couldn't think of another one). Yes, I liked this anime, I really did, but I just didn't like it enought to give it more than 6/10 (MAL's curent Score is 8.06). Yes, I admire the emotional part of the anime but I just didn't like it that much ok? (don't murder me)
Jul 12, 2014 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
Shiny_Goomy said:
earnshaw30 said:

Over rated: can I just list like 100s....I was gonna say gintama but hawkeye got there first so.... Number 1: Clannad the characters in Clannad are piss boring Nagisa I just hate her the ending was stupid go watch Kanon 2006 its far superior.

Okay I could see how some might think Clannad is over rated but Kanon 2006 is in no way superior.

I need to finish Gankestu, I hear a lot of good things about it.

You should finish gankutsuou its amazing....and ye kanon 06 is better
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jul 12, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2014
earnshaw30 said:

You should finish gankutsuou its amazing....and ye kanon 06 is better

Yeah i'll try, there are a lot of things I like about it... and lol
Redheadphones said:

1 2 3 4
Jul 13, 2014 6:16 AM

Jun 2013
The Best Anime - Mirai Nikki: At first I was gonna say Ookami to Koushinryou but as it was the only anime I liked enough to go and read both it's novels and manga however when I re-watched it again after reading the novels it seemed much less interesting and it was kinda depressing how much they changed the relationship of the two MCs. But this is about Mirai Nikki and not S&W and so I'll leave that rant there. Moving on Mirai Nikki is IMO the best anime because of its cast of characters character Yuno; probably my favourite girl in anime and the character to show me that Yanderes are the best archetype I've put this as my favourite anime. Also I should mention that up until the very end the story was great and I marathoned it as much as my life would allow.

My Turning Point - Any of Teinu's works: It was this guy here who made me realize that anime is going down the wrong path and if any of you spare a few minuites to watch his stuff I assure you that so will you.

Personal Preference - Neon Genesis Evangelion I've put this here because it incorporates everything I like in an anime whilst skewing it all around to make it both confusing and interesting (Also to cuss Gloomy a bit). Another thing I loved about this show was it's opening.

Honorable Mention - Tasogare Otome x Amnesia: I was stuck between this and Yosuga no Sora but in the end chose this because it's what made me really love romance anime and is one of the few anime that I still re-watch and wouldn't mind doing so multiple times. Also Emily Neves is one of my favourite VAs ; much better than Kana Hanazawa IMO.

Over Rated - Ao no Exorcist: Admittedly I haven't read the manga for this but most of the people I've seen have rated this pretty high up and I personally found it a chore to watch at times as the characters were annoying.
Which knght are you?
Give an internet?
RedHeadphones said:
Please, why would I play skyrim if there wasn't a nude female mod? Gameplay? Pfft.

Jul 14, 2014 12:15 AM

Jan 2014
The best Anime: Steins;Gate, the chemistry between the characters is the strongest aspect, and the soundtracks were a complete bonus to an epic series. It's hard to hate any of the characters, as they all had a role to play into making what the show what it was.

My turning point: I'd say Neon Genesis Evangelion, being only a toddler and watching this every night at 10:30pm on Monday changed my perception of what anime is. I couldn't go back to anything on Cartoon Network (Except maybe Pokemon)

Personal Preference: Nichijou. Can't help but smile at how random this show can get.

Honorable Mention: Since I've only recently started getting back into anime, Fate/Stay Night gets an honorable mention into drawing me back. It also helped that I'm a sucker for action, supernatural, fantasy, etc. Even though the adaptation was not great, I became interested into finding out why it was heavily criticized, thus enters the VN. I haven't looked back since.

Over Rated: Golden Time. Good lord, this has ruined my mood in finishing Toradora and I hope one day I can bring myself to watching the last 8-9 episodes of it. I could not comprehend the character's decision at how they choose handle the problems. Just ridiculous.

Jul 14, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2014
The best anime: I think Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the best anime. I say that because it's so easy to get invested in. Even though I usually don't much care for action series, and I usually prefer series with complicated plotlines, I still rate this as one of my top 5 favourite series. The characters are enjoyable, the action is fast, the pacing is great, too. The humour works well and the art style is beyond awesome. I'm sure the manga is probably the more popular, but I've never had the opportunity to read it. Even though Jojo's isn't my personal favourite series, it is the one I consider to be the 'best'.

The turning point: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. It has to be. Even though I enjoyed anime before this series, this was the one that had me waiting, baited breath, for the next episode. This was the first series that I knew I would've enjoyed even if I wasn't an anime fan. There have been other series that have made me feel the same since, but this was certainly the first.

Personal preference: I usually prefer more obscure series, and I generally avoid the popular shounen series, so when I heard about Attack on Titan, I didn't think it would be my kind of thing. I watched the first episode and I thought it was contrived. But then there was heaps upon heaps of hype, and I went back and tried the series out again. I know there are plenty of flaws in this series, and I know my favourite probably should be some classic, underrated anime. Still, I think AOT is great! Despite its problems, I found myself more gripped than with any other anime. Every emotion, I felt. I could almost feel myself moving with the characters during those action scenes. There is no other show that has hit every single right note with me. AOT is, for that reason, my favourite anime.

Honourable mention: I can't fathom why Keroro Gunsou, or Sgt. Frog, isn't more popular. I think it is one of the rarest anime shows you could possibly get. A comedy anime with a great American dub that makes the Japanese-only jokes now funny to the whole world. This show is hilarious, and it's another that I think people who don't like anime could still enjoy. I've known people who hate anime that still enjoy Sgt. Frog. It's so underrated!

Overrated: Cowboy Bebop is the series I wish was my favourite. I like the concept, I like the characters, I like the art, I LOVE the music... But, no matter how many times people tell me how wonderful it is, and no matter how many times I watch it, it just doesn't strike a chord with me. Don't get me wrong, I know how good the series is, and I especially love Edward, I just never felt invested in it as a series.
Aug 7, 2015 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
[The Best Anime] It's a tie for me so I'll put down two. Steins;Gate and Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners). At the moment, I've seen KnK way more recently so I'm leaning towards it a tad. The storytelling, ost, animation is absolutely masterful and opened my eyes as to what anime could achieve. It's a true masterpiece.
Now, Steins;Gate: It's Steins;Gate.

[My Turning Point] Shaman King, an anime that I don't think many have heard of. I watched it when I was five and the only reason I ever got into anime and manga is because, years later, I decided to by the volumes for it. Also, it's fucking awesome.

[Personal Preference] I like quality, not trying to sound like a scrub, so my personal favourites are the two mentioned in 'The Best' section. However, a very high honorable mention for Hunter x Hunter. I marathoned all of it in four(?) days over summer holidays and it was one of, if not the, best experiences I ever had watching anime. I'm not so much making a statement for its quality, but as far as shonen goes it's pretty fan-fucking-tastic, I just found it immensely fun and enjoyable.

[Honorable Mention] Sound of the Sky (Sora no Woto) and Last Exile. They were both excellent, near-masterpiece shows (Last Exile had some troubles, namely a rushed ending) that I really don't see many people talking about. I mean, Sound of the Sky was absolutely brilliant and has a score of less than 8 on MAL which is absolutely insane.

[Overrated] I'm new to anime so I've been decidedly avoiding shows that were over-hyped and had a reputation for being rather shit (Lookin' at you SAO and Akame ga Kill). However, on the topic of overhyped shows, I was surprised that AoT turned out to be an excellently executed series that stayed faithful to the source material and, to an extent, lived up to its hype. So yeah.

Eral-LeaAug 7, 2015 12:40 PM
Aug 7, 2015 9:34 PM

Jan 2014
[ The Best ] Wolf's Rain - The animation is beautiful, the music direction is superb, and the character interactions feel genuine. The plot twists and turns through an interesting and organic world of differing cultures and class systems. Good dubbing as well.

[ Turning Point ] Neon Genesis Evangelion - While I had watched some anime before this show (namely Ghibli movies and anything that came on Cartoon Network) I had never really thought of them as such. My friend who is into anime continuously suggested it to me. When I did decide to finally watch it, it was the first time I sat down and cognitively understood that "I'm watching an anime".

[ Personal Preference ] Mirai Nikki - It was the first anime I decided to watch on my own. It had the first OP I actually enjoyed (I didn't like NGE's OP the first time I watched it, but I do now) and a fantastic story full of intrigue and deception. The fact that it was the first anime I decided to watch of my own volition coupled with the fact that it provided a lot of enjoyable aspects which I simply hadn't experienced before then in anime vaulted into being my favorite show. I can understand why other's don't enjoy it at much or think it's very good, and I could go on for a very long time about why I enjoy it as much as I do, but I'll leave it at that for now.

[ Honorable Mention ] Blue Submaine No. 6 - Yes, the cgi looks worse than a ps1 cutscene. Yes, 4 episodes is not a very long time to tell a complex story. However, I believe Blue Submarine No. 6 delivers with beautiful hand-drawn animation, exciting action, and wonderful character interactions. Not many people have seen this one, but seeing as it's so short, I highly recommend everyone take a night out of their week to watch it.

[ Overrated ] Gurren Lagann - People are going to be giving others a lot of flak for this Overrated section, but such is the nature of this segment. I dislike this show because... I can't really explain why. It might be because I feel like the protagonists are never really in danger of losing. It might be because I feel like I'm suppose to take the show more seriously than it allows me to. Then again, I really enjoy Kill la Kill and yet I don't have these same gripes with it. So really, I can't explain why I don't like TTGL, despite how well loved it is.
There is an exception to every rule, including this one.
Oct 6, 2016 7:56 AM

Aug 2015
i like hotarubi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» MAL-fic ''Delusional edition''

MrHawky - Jan 8, 2015

33 by Hydre_Ito »»
Apr 23, 2022 5:33 AM

» [Game] Random Words ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shiny_Goomy - Jun 29, 2014

1781 by Nyarly-Kanamin »»
Apr 23, 2022 5:21 AM

» [GAME] Rate the Song ♪ ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jul 31, 2014

74 by Moonspeak »»
Dec 8, 2021 7:29 AM

Poll: » Le group discord

earnshaw30 - Aug 13, 2016

28 by earnshaw30 »»
May 2, 2020 12:28 PM

Sticky: » Song of the Week Nominations. ( 1 2 3 )

Shiny_Goomy - Jun 14, 2014

103 by Purban »»
Mar 29, 2020 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.