Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2014 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
ChoiDalDal said:
gust11 said:
Wait what? So Tokyo ESP takes place in the same universe as Ga-Rei: Zero? Didn't know that, I was so confused when I saw Yomi and Kagura, looking forward to more about Rinka~

Not the same universe. This is only a reference, a cameo.
And there are plenty of them from many others mangas,comics, TV shows, movies...in Tokyo ESP

Ah gotcha, thanks for the info, but man am I glad to see Yomi and Kagura alive and well together~
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 11, 2014 1:32 PM

May 2010
Amarrez said:
Kerozinn said:
pretty intense first episode with some sweet fights but i couldnt see SHIT in a bunch of scenes because it was way too dark..like the whole episode.

It was perfectly fine for me. Adjust your video settings.

my videos settings are perfectly adjusted for watching anime and this is the episode that was this dark. i watch over 30 eps a weak of 30 different anime and its not my player or any plugins.

it was just a fucking dark episode.
Jul 11, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2013
Um, can anyone explain why Rinka has brown hair here?

Everyone was going on about White Girl, White Girl, but it turns out she's light brown hair girl? :/
Jul 11, 2014 1:34 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wasn't expecting an action-packed episode. Once the action started, it didn't stop until like around the middle when the citizens were talking about the "White Girl." I mean I liked it, but I guess they did this just to hook people.
Sourire said:
Darklight0303 said:
So they pretty much showed the end of the manga in the first ep? Woooooooow
as someone who didn't read the manga... LOL

Okay well, now this makes sense...meh, hooks are always difficult I guess. It was the same thing with Tokyo Ghoul when they started with an intense scene. But I still liked the episode, it was definitely interesting :) Will probably start reading the manga too. Also, really liking the bgm so far.

Kerozinn said:

it was just a fucking dark episode.

I agree, I was thinking that too while I was watching it. Probably because the whole thing happened during the night and outside where there aren't too many streetlights :/
Jul 11, 2014 1:38 PM

Apr 2009
kikohunter said:
Do I really have to watch Ga-Rei: Zero before watching this? Because I really don't feel like doing so.

You should, though, since GRZ is great.
Jul 11, 2014 1:42 PM
Jan 2014
eh, this was slightly disappointing, wish they would've just went from chapter 1 or am I totally confused and this is what happened in chapter 1 because I don't recall any of it.
Jul 11, 2014 1:45 PM

May 2013
SalemWitch said:

Everyone was going on about White Girl, White Girl, but it turns out she's light brown hair girl? :/

Think its just the lighting or something
"Why the hell is it so easy to make people mad, and so difficult to make them smile?" -Kurosawa Dono
Jul 11, 2014 1:46 PM

Jul 2010
WTF is wrong with those espers ? I read the manga, and i don't recall seeing any fancy tools over their bodies when they use their powers. And it's ugly anyway, so why ?

SalemWitch said:

Yeah, she's supposed to have white hair. Well, the chara design is totally fucked up anyway.
Jul 11, 2014 1:47 PM

Dec 2011
Didn't expect them to start with the end lol, I was scared they were going to straight to the '2nd Generation' arc. Thank god it was just a tease. Woulda lost my shit if they did.

Though it was a good decision from them to do it, In order to draw the non manga readers from the get go. As the beginning does start of really slow imo.

I like how they used this episode to set up the audience's expectations of Rinka and what she will become.

They did Minami and Kobushi justice so far<3, still undecided on Rinkas 5 sec appearance. Hopefully they'll do Azuma well to.

For the confused non mang readers: About episode 1. It's based on manga chapter 23 (though changed a lot), but from the episode 2 preview title, They will go back to the beginning - manga chapter 1.
AsakurabakaJul 11, 2014 2:24 PM
Jul 11, 2014 1:50 PM
Jan 2010
3need said:
is this tokyo esp or ga-rei?
they must be kidding =_=

Thank you!! I was confused when I saw them again. I'm like wait did I click on the right link?

They couldn't make another Tokyo world w/o them... since this series has nothing to do with them.
Jul 11, 2014 1:55 PM
May 2014
Despite all the chaois going on it felt really underwhelming. Fight scenes felt sloppy and the blood at the beginning looked really weird. Don't really know why all this is happening either. It was meh. 2/5
kikohunterJul 11, 2014 1:58 PM
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jul 11, 2014 2:15 PM
Feb 2013
My jaw dropped at seeing the one-episode wonders from Ga-rei zero and even the song from that same episode, especially since during its original run I thought it'd be neat to see more of them. While I would enjoy seeing them more here, that would likely bloat the already pretty big cast. I'm not much for "dropped in the action" kinds of first episodes but if the next episode title is any clue things might go back to the beginning (which would be much like Ga-rei zero did, actually) which might go well.
Jul 11, 2014 2:16 PM

Aug 2012
Wow, that was bad, really, really bad. I didn't get anything but ''White girl will save us'' I don't even know the name of the main character, it feels like I've just watched the 5th episode of an anime I've never seen before.
Jul 11, 2014 2:19 PM

Feb 2014
I always feel at a loss when a story suddenly starts at the middle and then goes back to the "proper" beggining. Loads of characters and unexplained stuff, but it sure did a good job making me want to know what happened beforehand, so I'll have to stay to see it. 4/5
Jul 11, 2014 2:19 PM
Mar 2013
In fairness to those saying it started towards the end of the manga, didnt ga rei do the exact same thing?
Jul 11, 2014 2:20 PM

Feb 2012
So this is like Gungrave in that some idiot director thought a flash-forward towards the end would be a good idea for a first episode, but then the later episodes flash right back to tell us how we got here, ultimately rendering the premiere completely pointless?

It didn't even have the slaughter at the end that made Ga-Rei Zero's first episode awesome despite the confusion.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 11, 2014 2:35 PM

Jun 2014
Most braindead special forces I've seen. Their commander gets stabbed right in front of them and they say "how dare you?" and don't even raise their weapons? Seriously, what the fuck. That's just one of many immersion breakers.
Jul 11, 2014 2:37 PM

Apr 2014
It was pretty awesome, and I like what I saw, but am I supposed to understand what's going on at this point? O.o
Jul 11, 2014 2:38 PM

Mar 2014
Intense first episode, I bet they're going to go back in time back to the actual start next episode!
Jul 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Aug 2008
It's not a good idea to start series with a reminder of utter crap like Ga-Rei Zero. Anyway, with all these expositions instead of dialogues, bland characters and boredom seeping from every minute, this episode not only failed to entice me to continue watching, but actually made me want to not watch it.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 11, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
Rly nice episode. Now I have t9 watch gai rei zero...too much watch to do haha.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jul 11, 2014 2:51 PM

Apr 2013
Should I watch Ga Rei Zero before? I've read that it's the same universe but is there more in common between this and Ga Rei?
Jul 11, 2014 2:52 PM

Jan 2012
Kagura? Yomi? I was quite suprised to see them here ^^" Didn't know it was in the same world and so same author oO

Seems like it happened before the events in Ga Rei Zero though since the guy with motorbike girl is alive...
Jul 11, 2014 2:54 PM
Apr 2013
Espers are human aswell blah blah blah
Honestly if espers were a thing they should definetly be monitored or atleast registered in some way and a task force made in 2 seconds and research to find out how to surpress the genes or whatever that makes this happen. If they are all loving humanity they would have zero problems having their power taken away. And if their power is useful they can be utilized. If I was born with the power to kill anyone I see I would definetly want it taken away because in a fit of rage or emotion, bam I killed someone because i can just kill people. As they are still human as the shows love to show then this will inevitably happen to many people. It is like letting nukes walk around without any control. It can blow at anytime so it is not going to happen.
Jul 11, 2014 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
I've been told that this is like the x-men anime, and so far, i'm loving it.

Girl who could teleport reminded me of the main chick from Kara no Kyoukai (just her appearance though)

I think white girl's going to be best girl, dunno why, just have a feeling >_<

and honestly, I was getting BIG yozakura no quartet vibes. WHICH IS GREAT.

Will defo be keeping up with this show, man this summer's great :D
Jul 11, 2014 3:00 PM

May 2014
YumeNoMonogatari said:
Should I watch Ga Rei Zero before? I've read that it's the same universe but is there more in common between this and Ga Rei?
It's just from the same mangaka, simple fanservice for those who've seen Gai Rei Zero. Has nothing to do with these characters or plot wise.

@ponygon123
Even though I support that kind of thinking, and I'd have a similar reasoning for such things, I managed to turn my brain off and not question much just enjoy the shallow action and explosions. Because this is a battle shounen with x-men flavor lol.
Jul 11, 2014 3:03 PM

Apr 2013
T3hSource said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
It's just from the same mangaka, simple fanservice for those who've seen Gai Rei Zero. Has nothing to do with these characters or plot wise.

Ok, thanks.

I'm gonna like this anime version of X-men :3
Jul 11, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2012
Yeah I was reminded of X-Men too with people hating the Mutants Ahem "espers" , there being "Good" espers that try to defend humanity and "Bad" ones trying to attack humanity. They also seem to have a good variety of special powers, and according to what one character said Espers are humans too, so that again reminds me of something like mutants haha. Okay I'm done with x-men comparisons..

That dual wielding teleporter girl is cool as fuck, and the esper villan group leader dude looks has some interesting powers, like illusion powers or some such.

Overall a very fun episode, even if there wasn't really much explanation, character building in this episode. Guess we'll find out more about what's going on in future episodes.
Jul 11, 2014 3:11 PM

Dec 2011
Can't wait to see how this episode will pan out!

Wow... so many flying fish hmm...

Lol, the parliament house is flying because of espers XD.

At least there's no censorship (at least for now) and we can see blood gushing out /o/

They have some pretty interesting powers there.

White Girl hmm?

The captain really lasted long and did a lot of useful things lol.

Special defense division 4 hm? Another division that will get obliterated right away?

They at least seem to more competent that the last bunch.

Halfway into the episode and still no sight of the main characters lol.

So only 3 good confirmed espers besides Rinka hm.

Oh look, Rinka finally appeared and executed a cool named kick on that dude lol.

A rather weird start since I don't know anything about Rinka and the world just seems to have plunged from the start into chaos lol.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Jul 11, 2014 3:11 PM

Mar 2010
I liked it, but I feel like I would have been really lost if I hadn't read the manga. I suppose they did it that way to try to pull in viewers who haven't read it, but without any context it was all over the place. Why should anyone care about these characters if they don't know them? And they even brought up the Esper containment area. If they wanted to have an In Medias Res first episode, they should have started with manga chapter 11. I probably would have stopped halfway through the episode if I didn't already know what was going on. But I really like this story, so I guess I'll watch a few more episodes.
Jul 11, 2014 3:13 PM
Apr 2013
T3hSource said:
@ponygon123
Even though I support that kind of thinking, and I'd have a similar reasoning for such things, I managed to turn my brain off and not question much just enjoy the shallow action and explosions. Because this is a battle shounen with x-men flavor lol.

Although i get annoyed by the whole oh lets trust them even though that trust gets millions killed crap and all but it doesn't destroy this show to me. Although I would totally praise a show that actually looked at super powers intelligently and controlled it but blah trust blah not very human (even though it isn't bad because they aren't getting murdered, just controlled a tad to prevent unnecessary deaths) and blah good guys with power saved us even though we wouldn't need them if the powers did not exist.
Jul 11, 2014 3:18 PM

May 2014
ponygon123 said:
and blah good guys with power saved us even though we wouldn't need them if the powers did not exist.
Hence the appeal of Slice of Life stuff. You don't need such convoluted explanations for something fictional to make it believable, but then it wouldn't be as entertaining seeing a guy kick a bus into the air just for sake of it.

I managed to turn my brain off and enjoy this shallow entertainment, which I knew it was going to be exactly that and nothing more.
Jul 11, 2014 3:46 PM
Jul 2013
Exciting first episode. There are to many characters to follow around.. and it's ONLY the first episode.

This white girl, I want to see what she can do ;)
Jul 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Feb 2014
T3hSource said:
ponygon123 said:
and blah good guys with power saved us even though we wouldn't need them if the powers did not exist.
Hence the appeal of Slice of Life stuff. You don't need such convoluted explanations for something fictional to make it believable, but then it wouldn't be as entertaining seeing a guy kick a bus into the air just for sake of it.

I managed to turn my brain off and enjoy this shallow entertainment, which I knew it was going to be exactly that and nothing more.

Given that its goal is entertainment I don't see the point in approaching this as anything other than an entertainment source. Anime does not necessarily have to convey moral and philosophical questions meant to make you rethink things or to be so utterly beautiful that it appears art. As long as it entertains it has done its job, so why do you make it sound as if it being "nothing more" was a bad thing?
Jul 11, 2014 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
I did not exactly liked it,nor disliked it.
Well,I'll keep watching...but I surely did not expect this..it seemed kind of...cliché.
Maybe it was just my expectations that were wrong.
Jul 11, 2014 4:10 PM

Jul 2013
Oh wow. Exciting way to start off the anime.
Curious to see what Rinka is capable of.
I guess they'll start from the beginning - how she got her powers in the next ep.
Jul 11, 2014 4:10 PM

Dec 2008
For the time being the anime bears a strong similarity to X-men, with the difference that the espers wear more preposterous clothes than Xavier's menagerie.
Jul 11, 2014 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
iffy premise/story, but loving the superpowers. Really feels like X-men, Marvel stuff. Me likes.
Digging the OP

Jul 11, 2014 4:36 PM

Nov 2013
Ok I paused at minute 16 because I have no idea what the fuck is going on, which chapter of the manga is this? I only read up to chapter 13...

Well since I'm here, I am liking how this is turned out, I'm specifically talking about the powers. I wanted to see them animated and Xebec did not disappoint.

I was also surprised by the lack of comedy and all the violence because the chapters I read where almost the opposite of this. Pretty cool episode 4/5
Jul 11, 2014 4:54 PM

Apr 2014
And thus, one of the worst adaptations of a manga has begun...
Jul 11, 2014 4:55 PM

Oct 2013
So this is basically Ga Rei: Zero's equivalent of Soul Eater's Soul Eater NOT.
Jul 11, 2014 5:07 PM

Aug 2012
It's not a good thing when the canon plot escalates quicker than Black Bullet. I figured it was starting at the end, since I really felt like I was thrown into the story like a fire. It was like they couldn't decide whether to add exposition("White Girl will save us, she always does"), or just make you figure everything out on the fly, so it ended up an awkward mixture of both. I could definitely get into the story, but the direction was pretty bad. Just not a good choice to make the entire first episode an intro into the final battle, especially with the way it was executed.
Jul 11, 2014 5:10 PM

Jun 2014
Im liking the fact that they didn't take the censor-heavy route like Tokyo Ghoul

Also great to see Kagura and yomi again
--l--Jul 11, 2014 6:38 PM
Jul 11, 2014 5:12 PM

Jul 2010
Yomi ;_; so happy to see her again.Kagura too.
Jul 11, 2014 5:18 PM

Apr 2009
i know nothing about the manga.. but i believe it is a right decision that they made it like this for the anime only viewers.. why? the true beginning of the story might attract less attention because it would sound like another shounen LN or manga adaptation where boy meets high-powered girl which seems to be overdone in the past seasons and usually devolves into harem fodder (given the number of girls around good esper dude, it could be).. and from the way manga readers describe it as having lots of SoL moments on the early parts, that misconception might become more apparent..

this one, however, gives us something to expect of in the latter parts of the anime.. a large cast of characters duking it out ala X-Men.. and that's a good kind of entertainment to look forward to..

but of course, the disadvantage of this kind of presentation is that it's not for those used to watching things not in chronological order.. but having ties to Ga-Rei -Zero- kinda gives it the excuse..
Jul 11, 2014 5:23 PM
Dec 2012
Can anyone tell me what is the name of that guy with a scar on his face ?
Jul 11, 2014 5:28 PM
Jul 2013
Huh, thought I was watching Ga-Rei Zero for a moment.Gory, explosions everywhere, "Dark Side of The Light" playing, and most importantly Yomi and Kagura.

So this happens before Ga-Rei Zero, right?
Jul 11, 2014 5:35 PM

Jun 2013
Thkoory said:

Hokusai Azuma

maxiliban said:

No.These scenes are anime exclusive, only fanservice, references and cameos. Not the same story, not the same universe and not the same timeline.
Jul 11, 2014 5:39 PM
Jul 2013
ChoiDalDal said:
Thkoory said:

Hokusai Azuma

maxiliban said:

No.These scenes are anime exclusive, only fanservice, references and cameos. Not the same story, not the same universe and not the same timeline.

I see. This show seems OK for now. Hopefully I'll enjoy it much as I did when I was watching Ga-Rei Zero a while ago.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Revenant_ - Jul 18, 2014

183 by doliwaq »»
Nov 1, 2023 3:30 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2014

83 by Kristiwazhere »»
Aug 27, 2023 2:18 AM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2014

66 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 29, 2021 3:27 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2014

77 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 29, 2021 2:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Karoshi- - Aug 1, 2014

107 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 24, 2021 6:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.