Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2009 12:48 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was recommended this show as a type of mini Aria, and after watching this first episode it is truly a slice of life. It has the same feel as Aria and you can really feel yourself sitting back and enjoying the scenery, the music, and the characters. And like Aria I feel you don't watch it so much as you drift along with it soaking it in.

Though I wonder what the guns are for. They haven't explained the reason behind the onset of the Age of Evening Calm and so far everyone seems nice enough to help out, maybe in a later episode they'll shed more light on this.

Aug 17, 2010 5:43 AM

Jan 2010
the lack of background music made this boring as hell
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 2, 2011 2:58 PM

Jun 2009
I quite enjoyed this. Particularly the " there is no meaningless moment, 300 pictures aren't nearly enough" line. Pretty awesome stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 14, 2012 3:32 PM

Nov 2011
Tranquility.

And that's about it... I really don’t know what else there is to say…
I really enjoyed it; it's just very calming... Just relax and watch a fully blooming, post-apocalyptic world. Sure seems odd, but it’s really soothing! ^^
Oct 13, 2012 1:38 PM

May 2010
I agree with OP, the gun needs explanation. It didn't feel like it belongs in the setting. I am interested in knowing more.

This episode was very slow paced, but that's what I expected
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 19, 2012 5:56 PM
Aug 2007
This first episode was lovely.. I liked that they introduced Kokone early, but I also wish they had

Also, some really nice nods to the fans of the manga, like the airship going past above Kokone and Alpha as Kokone explains how to use the camera, or Alpha's moon harp in her room, or the "reader" visiting Alpha during the end credits...

I assume we've all read the manga? *slight spoilers about the gun*

Mod Edit: Please use proper spoiler tags. Not everyone has read the manga.
LunaOct 20, 2012 10:43 PM
Mar 24, 2013 9:16 PM

Feb 2012

Really peaceful and reminds me a lot of Aria, unluckily, not so much of the latter regard. Aria does this SoL thing somehow consistently better, but still this is a good start.
Feb 21, 2015 8:51 PM

Jun 2014
This is certainly different than anything else I've watched. I live in a rural area, and a lot of the scenery in this Anime is very similar to where I live.

Also, I have a sudden urge to go outside and take a bunch of pictures after watching this.

Apr 9, 2015 1:26 PM

Jul 2014
Found this as recommendation to Aria and I'm not disappointed :-)

It has the same relaxing feeling. It might be not as good as Aria: the Origination but it's good enough for me :-)
Jun 10, 2015 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
I have to say, captured the ethereal nature of the manga well, but there is something missing which i can't quite put my finger on.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 9, 2016 9:19 AM

Oct 2011
If this anime had a nice background music which it is the only element this anime completely lack, this anime could be on par with Aria.
Aug 1, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2014
This was slice of life in its purest form. The lack of background music during most of the episode made this even more peaceful and relaxing. I like when shows turn off all music and just use ambient noises like the sound of traffic, people's chatter, or the sound of wind, to bring out the atmosphere of a scene. It helps in making them much more immersive.
Apr 19, 2017 10:09 AM

Jun 2016
Holy shit, that was AMAZING. While the Iyashikei/healing element was well and good, what was truly arresting was the world - clearly post-apocalyptic and devastated by global warming and rising sea levels, and which has incredibly life-like androids blending in with normal people. So many subtle things that are unsettling in what is, on its cover, a comfy show - the gun which Alpha keeps on her before opening the door, the 'kiss', the camera that looks like an eye and indeed has a robotic eyeball, the futuristic radio which might just have been referenced in Portal.. all of that gave it a surreal feeling, like we were only getting to see a thin veneer of tranquility that is covering a deep sea of tragedy. Newer shows that used the same trick to great effect are Shinsekai Yori (which later dove into the tragedy), and more recently, Kemono Friends.

Oct 14, 2017 8:52 AM

May 2012
Very interesting atmosphere I must say, quite an interesting environment as well, looking forwards for the next episodes.
Apr 27, 2018 11:20 AM

Dec 2015
it was really boring and empty for me almost fell asleep
Sep 2, 2018 11:58 AM

Dec 2016
Exactly what I expected of an adaptation of the manga. I really, really liked it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 30, 2019 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
The environment this show takes place in is absolutely gorgeous. It's what I expect Heaven to look like. Was the setting based on any real-life regions of Japan? A tranquil coast-side rural/suburban neighborhood, filled with hues of bright blue and bright green. The setting is actually very, very similar to Faye's hometown seen in Episode 24 ("Hard Luck Woman") of Cowboy Bebop. During the CB segment, I got the same vibes that I'm getting now. But I reinstate -- does anyone know of a real-life environment similar to this one? Whether it be in California or Hawaii -- or was it perhaps based on an IRL region in Japan (as many anime settings can be based on). (I mean, surely there were some photographic references used to paint the settings of this anime, right? If that's the case, then that would certainly answer my question.)
Dec 30, 2019 12:21 AM
Jul 2018
As a "vintage poser" I've recently taken an interest in film cameras. Actually, as a whole, photography has always been a huge passion of mine. Throughout my life, I've constantly taken days to just walk through an environment and photograph "scene" after "scene". You can imagine the intrigue I felt as half of this anime revolved around someone walking through a gorgeous setting with a camera, searching for the perfect shot. Even though the protagonist took just two photographs with the camera (so far), it was quite pleasant seeing all of the other potential photographs. A great deal of this anime is truly just flashing scenic images (still or half-still) across the screen, and I'm not complaining. This is truly a piece of media with an intent to showcase the beauty of Earth, as well as its inhabitants and the various objects scattered throughout.
Dec 30, 2019 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
It's quite sad just how *obscure* this anime is, but its obscurity just makes the watching experience more interesting. A crew of humans worked together to conjure this art piece. It's not underproduced, but it's not full of movement or intense plots either. It was just created, period. And like the protagonist, this anime is leading a simple existence. I'm a sucker for trivial pieces like this. There's just too many aspects to appreciate it. Nevertheless, I'm saddened that this forum has such little written accounts. But I'm honored to be one of the few that has contributed to the "popularity number" assigned to this anime.
Dec 30, 2019 12:26 AM
Jul 2018
I'll shut up... I apologize for spamming the forum. BUT... and, come on, SOMEONE was bound to ask this:

Who is here from Kenny Lauderdale?

If you're into the more obscure nooks and crannies of the anime industry, I'd highly recommend his content. And like Kenny, if anyone else knows about hidden gems like this anime, lemme know. 👌
Mar 22, 2020 2:50 PM

Feb 2020
(I know barely anyone is going to see this post, but I felt like sharing my thoughts anyway.)

Well, this first episode was pretty good. I am very intrigued by the full extent of this post-apocalyptic world (and like OP said, what is that gun for) but I also appreciate the calm and relaxed atmosphere. I really like how this show makes the viewer consider how beautiful can be stuff we don't even pay attention to. Everything in life can be appreciated in its own way.
And Alpha's character is quite undearing for now, I like her, and I'm sure I'll do even more with the next episode.
May 10, 2020 1:59 AM
Jul 2018
"Age of Evening Calm"

..serene.. ah <3

Androids that listen to music, drink coffee, blush, kiss to pass on messages (that was so cute), enjoy all hundreds of scenes in every scene.. lovely lovely anime.. lovely Alpha :)

A beautiful AMV with montage from this anime, for anyone interested (:

Aug 7, 2020 12:29 AM

Jul 2016
Android girls exchanging messages through kisses? Seems fine to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice first episode. Alpha is an absolute cutie and I gotta say I really like how the relaxing atmosphere is being handled.

The lack of background music isn't a bad thing as other people say, by the way. It makes you feel even more immersed with the overall scenery and characters' dialogues. +1 from me in that aspect.
Dec 19, 2020 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
The one thing that confused me was that the episode starts on the 2nd of Feb and then later it is Jan 1st. I get that they were waiting a long time and they have no perception of time, but then just a little while later ojisan says he spoke to the delivery girl earlier the afternoon. So I'm confused as to if allot of time passed or not?
Jan 27, 2021 4:21 PM
Nov 2019
That was really nice episode, the art is gorgeous, and that kiss!
Feb 12, 2021 6:22 AM

Feb 2020
Nothing amazing, but I liked the atmosphere.

SerafosMar 20, 8:19 AM
Mar 29, 2021 5:05 PM

Aug 2018
The fact this is only in 480p is a crime
_______I like rocks__
Apr 3, 2021 9:35 AM

Nov 2015
hate it, this is and anime for the elderly of what? it made me feel like taking a boring one hour trip on train xD !/5

💢

May 14, 2021 11:09 AM
May 2021
I can't remember where or when I first heard of this anime, but the person who told me about it said it was one of the most beautiful he'd ever seen. I was finally able to see the first anime a year or two later and I agree. I loved it so much I got a friend of mine who was going to Japan pick me up copies of the manga. I later found scanlations online and was able to read it. I've just watched it again, and it still holds up.

"The Era of Twilight Calm" is what this age is called. When I watch the anime, I think simultaneously of two things: Ray Bradbury's "There Will Come Soft Rains" and Star Trek (OST) The Menagerie. There's a line in the ST episode about how the survivors of the crash are "just what we imagined them to be" (I think that's the line) carrying on with a quiet dignity despite their unfortunate circumstance. The Bradbury story is about an automatied house carrying on with its duties without question after its inhabitants have been killed by a nuclear war.

The Star Trek image is one of hope, and the Bradbury image one of despair at a lost world. Somehow, both here and in the manga, the author manages to convey both feelings at once, making for an unaccountably beautiful "slice of life" story.

Highly recommended.
Jun 26, 2021 1:34 AM
Dec 2017
5/5 Easily one of the most relaxing anime I've ever watched. If Aria is the Cannabis of iyashikei, then Yokohama is like injecting heroine into your open eyeball.
A psychic dwarf escapes from a prison. It was a small medium at large.

(×__×)
May 8, 2022 6:36 AM

Jul 2021
It's one of those relaxing SOLs where it does give a sense of tranquility with all the imagery but lacks substances in terms of its own narrative.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 22, 2022 5:59 AM

Aug 2021
There is nothing to feel but nostalgia.
Aug 6, 2022 5:36 PM

Aug 2018
I enjoyed that. It's got those "mono no aware" vibes that you just can't find anywhere else but anime/manga. Kinda surprised people here are asking for an explanation for the gun. Why do people carry handguns, hmm? Obviously Alpha experienced turbulent times as the world fell into ruin. but now in the world's twilight phase the gun is not as useful as it once was... but she still carries it out of habit.
epidemia78Aug 6, 2022 5:42 PM
Dec 12, 2022 12:12 PM

May 2022
The 1990s hand drawn animation creates a sense of nostalgia. The anime is quite faithful to the original source. We are left with the same peaceful feeling as at the end of a chapter of the manga.
Jan 23, 2023 12:13 PM

Jun 2020
This was quite slow so was boring at points but was still a nice little episode

Sep 3, 2023 7:02 PM
Mar 2018
Does anyone know if the pink-haired girl shows up in the first or second episode? I've been trying to find the series in order and it's very difficult for me.
Oct 7, 2023 1:11 AM

Aug 2018
It really feels like a calming type of anime at first, but it just doesnt have that calming magical beauty something like Mushishi has, a lot of things happening in this interesting world just don't feel interesting themselves.
May 18, 9:39 AM
Apr 2022
very relaxing and realistic in terms of emotions

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Episode 2 Discussion

stAtic91 - Nov 15, 2009

31 by Figva »»
Oct 7, 2023 1:13 AM

» Manga

Kafig - Oct 19, 2015

4 by OG_Otaku »»
Dec 12, 2022 2:13 PM

» Can I watch this before reading the manga?

Cowuser - Aug 7, 2019

4 by OG_Otaku »»
Dec 12, 2022 2:11 PM

» I think it deserves a full anime adaptation

Lain - Jul 29, 2016

3 by OG_Otaku »»
Dec 12, 2022 2:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.