Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2014 1:18 PM

Sep 2008
tingy said:
I also am a little sad that there's no cops and robbers

Check out PV 3 :)
Jul 7, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2011
SalemWitch said:
Great first ep! Anyone know how many chapters they adapted?
i think its just the good ones. (: before they ruined the manga
dunno in number tho
Jul 7, 2014 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
anyone is there a love triangle ?
Jul 7, 2014 1:23 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
LittleStar said:
tingy said:
I also am a little sad that there's no cops and robbers

Check out PV 3 :)

Ohh there it is! Lol. Well I did say that we'll probably see it later though XD But thanks ^^

SeTzu said:

There is but we probably won't get to it. Or actually we'll get to at least one of them.
Jul 7, 2014 1:25 PM

Aug 2013
hmm i wait until the whole anime is aired i dont like love triangles and mabe its not so good but thx tingy
Jul 7, 2014 1:30 PM
Mar 2014
It was an awesome first episode, it showed more emotion than most shoujo anime show in a whole season.

Apr 2014
The first episode was good despite the story having an unhappy theme in the end of the episode. (What I can do if that was the story?) But for sure there will be a development between Yoshioka, Futaba and Kou, Mabuchi (Tanaka).

The Story was really good and the Animation was really amazingly good too.
The Character designs/illustration was good and cute! Also the ED (or OP?) having a Male singer too! (Yes, at last!!!)... I hope this will keep up until the last episode. Will still watch this Anime and will wait for the next episode next week!
RayzerJul 7, 2014 1:39 PM
Haters always gonna hate.

Jun 2014
I loved the first episode and will definitely be watching the rest of the season!

I think this is going to be my favorite "slice of life" anime this season!

I love how the characters have changed from the beginning to when they reunite, but still realize that they are attracted to each other after all that time has passed.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jul 7, 2014 1:32 PM

Jun 2013
I was kind of worried of how it would turn out, but that was a great first ep. The animation was just beautiful and the ost was beautiful as well.
Jul 7, 2014 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
I would say it was a pretty good start for a first episode.

Tanaka changed his name to Mabuchi.

Mabuchi covering for Futaba at the school store.
Jul 7, 2014 1:34 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
SeTzu said:
hmm i wait until the whole anime is aired i dont like love triangles and mabe its not so good but thx tingy

No problem :) Yeah honestly I'm not a fan of love triangles either (I think I've read enough of that with all the shoujo romances out there..), but I think it's handled pretty well here, at least the first love triangle.
Jul 7, 2014 1:46 PM

Mar 2012
kawaii-despair said:
Toucanbird said:

Considering this is Production I.G., I get a feel this is an Ano Hana-esque series (w/o the supernatural elements) mixed in with similar artwork to Usagi Drop.

The thing is,AnoHana was made by A-1 Pictures.

I'm aware of that considering Ano Hana is one of my favorite all-time anime and A-1 Pictures has made their fair share of some of my favorites (such as Shinsekai yori and Senjou no Valkyria.

That's why I mentioned Usagi Drop. Usagi Drop IS a Production I.G. anime and it has a very similar artistic style.
Jul 7, 2014 1:47 PM
Dec 2012
This anime is deliciously filled with great drama. I love it.
Jul 7, 2014 1:54 PM

Jan 2011
Nice start. 7/10 for now.
If the rest of the characters prove to be as interesting this might turn out to be a really good show.
Jul 7, 2014 1:55 PM

Jan 2014
SeTzu said:

tingy said:
There is but we probably won't get to it. Or actually we'll get to at least one of them.

:) Will there be a lot of misunderstandings throughout this anime? (Perfect example: Nisekoi)

I'll give this episode an 8/10 :)
Jul 7, 2014 2:13 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I love everything about this

This and Glasslip are def without a doubt my two fav Rom/Com/SoL for this season
Jul 7, 2014 2:19 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
dubanimeshows said:

:) Will there be a lot of misunderstandings throughout this anime? (Perfect example: Nisekoi)

Haha, Nisekoi. Nisekoi is riddled with cliches, but it's meant to be that way. Fear not, there aren't too many misunderstandings (iirc). There's one that comes to mind, but I don't think we'll get to it in the anime. That all depends on the pacing though.
Jul 7, 2014 2:20 PM
Jan 2014
I was very hyped for this and I didn't get dissapointed.
Beautiful art and character designs.
I couldn't stop thinking about Yukine and Hiyori from Noragami during Kou's interactions with Futaba. Since they do share the same seiyuus.
Anyways, good developement so far. The pacing is stable as well.
Cannot wait until the next episode!
Jul 7, 2014 2:23 PM

Jun 2012
fishergirl16 said:
I was a little sad that the game of cops and robbers was cut out, but that's okay.

I remember seeing that scene in one of the PV's so maybe they're just rearrenging a little so the flashback won't be too long :)

I'm glad with the adaption so far, the animation and OST is good and I especially like the ED. It's really pretty with all the watercolour effects ~

It's Makita's turn to enter the story next episode, can't wait >w<
Jul 7, 2014 2:35 PM

Jun 2012
Beautiful art, but I'm still waiting for my Touma <3 (that of course it's probably going to appear in the last episodes T^T but still I want to know his seiyuu e.e)
Jul 7, 2014 2:49 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode

Kou ;__;

Taking me a while to get used to the fact that Ao Haru Ride is now an anime and I just watched episode 1
Jul 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Jun 2009
I'm crying so hard rn
Jul 7, 2014 2:51 PM

May 2009
Interesting.
Lots of drama to look forward to.
I like the honesty-in-your-face of Tanaka. Interesting change.

I've tried to change too.. but I could never do it. I realised that changing places does not change the person you are. You are you. So this is interesting to see how they're handling themselves, adapting to new roles... and being fake to themselves... Let's see how much they can keep up.

But haha.. they both bring out the old selves in each other..

What is real, what is fake... It's interesting.. the question this anime tries to cover.
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Jul 7, 2014 2:55 PM

Apr 2012
damn lots of drama already

This gonna be gewd. Good first episode

Jul 7, 2014 3:01 PM

Oct 2009
Very good so far.
Jul 7, 2014 3:03 PM

Dec 2011
That scene from middle school, when Kou, Futaba and other kids played cops and robbers was cut out. ;_; Maybe they will add it later. I hope.

Didn't really like the voice of Tanaka-sensei and FUtaba, but I'll probably get used to it. Also, I always imagined Kou's voice a little bit different, but it wasn't so bad overall.

Well, I've been following Ao Haru Ride manga since 2012, so I was really excited to see this. I liked the first episode, it gave me Kimi ni Todoke vibes (well, both are made by Production I.G). But yeah, definitely looking forward to the next episodes.^^
Jul 7, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2013
Great first episode, gave me the feeling that something good will come out of it, although I must confess that the first few minutes I found slightly odd Futaba's eyes, found them way too large, but then after the half time, they didn't bother me that much.
Jul 7, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2012
Great episode.

For some reason I got the feels and I don't why. Like the characters so far. Tanaka or Mabuchi is pretty cool. Futaba is cute, but not being true to herself. Really love the animation and ost. Can't wait to see next episode.

5/5.
Jul 7, 2014 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
God bless the art. It's perfect. The watercolours are great.

I'm just really afraid my score will be biased (lower) because I can't really get the sensation of watching it blind because I already know what's going to happen and most likely, the anime won't go further than how much I've read.

Anyway, Yuki Kaji fits Kou pretty well. I'm still dying to know who's gonna voice Touma!

Solid adaption so far. Cool stuff. Lovely.

I'm surprised the MAL's rating so low because I looked over this thread and everyone's thoughts are positive (yes I did the same with Barakamon who's rating shot into the 8s a few hours later after my post..)
Jul 7, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2012
I love me some pure shoujo romances, and i think this'll be a great show. I've only read 3-ish chapters, way back when the scanlators first started translating this, but then stopped for some odd reason.
Anyways, most people who are caught up say its great, so i'm stoked for whats to come.
Loved the artwork, especially during the flashback (This show's gonna give me them feels, I can... feel it ;_;)
and also, DAT INSERT SONG BY MIWA. That was Miwa right?
Jul 7, 2014 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
SeTzu said:

Jul 7, 2014 3:36 PM

Apr 2011
I like animation. Dislike the bitchy friends & Damn old hag.

Will continue to watch.
Jul 7, 2014 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
Well done. This really caught my interest right away which I like. It'll be fun going forward and seeing how they deal with their fake selves.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jul 7, 2014 3:47 PM
Jan 2014
Nice first episode.
I really liked it. Cant wait for the other characters to be introduced. Lookjng forward for kominata.
Jul 7, 2014 3:47 PM
Nov 2013
That was really beautiful, I loved the art. It reminds of watercolor painting.
I've never really watched shoujo before but I think I'll really enjoy this.
Jul 7, 2014 3:50 PM

Jan 2014
I was waiting this show with some trepidation but.. didn't deliver.
The little hints of romance and drama didn't get to me at all, as well as the characters, everyone is pretty annoying.
I like the art, with that dirty and colorful background like Isshuukan Friends was (even though those were prettier). From the preview seemed the animation was quite well-done, but actually is pretty average.
Nah I'm a little bit disappointed. This is the only show this season that's making me feel like this, remains only Zankyou no Terror.
Jul 7, 2014 3:54 PM

Aug 2010
I came across this anime on accident. Haven't read the manga yet, so from my point of view, the first episode is pretty good! (^.^) I'm excited to see how all this unfolds!

I just hope that it's not as frustrating as Kimi ni Todoke. (T_T)
Jul 7, 2014 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
The water color backgrounds definitely enhance the mood of this anime. Another shoujo with a bit of twist. There's definitely some potential here.

I like the theme this episode brought us. Nothing is ever the same and a second chance isn't absolute. Looking forward to it.
Jul 7, 2014 4:03 PM

May 2014
See how you don't like it when the guy is the tsundere.

First actual shoujo romance anime, nothing mind blowing, but I got into it.

4.5/5 - Basic feels.
Jul 7, 2014 4:17 PM
Feb 2014
Pretty good episode

Animation was good. One of the bettrr ones this season so far. I wished they had expanded a little more on Kou and Futaba's past a little. I just didnt get enough of a feel for who they used to be andhad not expectations for who they could've been.

I've got mixed feelings abt Kou. I think he's a bit annoying... all Futaba said was she hated all boys... and he abandoned her and left her waiting which I thought was an extremely stupid thing to have done. And now he acts all cool and aloof... but then, it sounds as if he has a really good backstory in that 3 yrs he was gone. And he seems reliable n shrewd enough in some ways (eg the bread paying incident, noting Futaba's shallow friendships)

Futaba is quite likable. A bit clueless in some ways tho... Wish I got a bit more insight into her middle school past

Story is being built up quite nicely. I expect good developments later. Kinda wanna read the manga now
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 7, 2014 4:28 PM

Jan 2012
Oh at least it's here! I loved this first episode. The animation, the pacing, Kou's voice (Kaji Yuki is surprisingly fitting for him) and gosh...the watercolors! It was really beautiful.
"I don’t know what you want out of nationals, but who sets their goals on something anyone can go to? We try because it’s hard. It’s a dream because it takes a lot of work." - Jun Isashiki, Diamond no Ace S2E51.
Jul 7, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2012
Great episode ! Went in blindly kinda hoping for a decent shojo anime all lovey-dovey and cheesy as it had been awhile I hadn't watched one and surely not disappointed !

As one would expect from Production IG the animation is on point, it took me a few minutes to get used to the singular art and chara design but I eventually grew rather fond of it.

The MC is a little on the annoying side of noisy and loud but meh, that much I can deal with, Tanaka/Mabucchi comes off as an interesting character that I can't wait to find out more about though.

Hyped for more ! 5/5.

Jul 7, 2014 4:32 PM
Jan 2013
At the beginning, I wasn't sure about this episode - just another average slice-of-life/romance. But this just got better and better as it progressed. The end left me with so many feels omg

I wonder what caused Mabuchi/Tanaka to change like that. Maybe his parents' divorce has made him more cynical? Why did he transfer out? Is it just because Futaba said she hates boys? Or is that because of the divorce too?

Whatever the reason is, his words hurt. Even more so because they're the truth. Futaba really is keeping up a facade with this fake personality and fake friends, and it's hurting her.

I hope she finds some real friends soon (the ED certainly points to that!), because I really can't stand these idiotic middle/high schoolers. Girl is cute and well-liked? Better isolate her. The guys are terrible too. So superficial. And eating a lot somehow brings down femininity? Okay.

Anyway, I didn't know anything about this anime before watching it, but now this is gonna be one of the few I'm really excited about. Can't wait :D
Jul 7, 2014 4:38 PM
Jul 2013
That was so fucking cute.

I want to eat anime
Jul 7, 2014 4:38 PM

Jun 2014
Oh my god feels on the first episode ;-; -still crying-
Notice me Senpai
Jul 7, 2014 4:39 PM

Nov 2012
Good episode.This was back when the manga seemed promising...

So far liking this anime better than the manga.

Like the character designs,they look just like the manga except colored in.

Also really liked the insert song that played when Kou said thing couldn't be the same as before.
VanishingKiraJul 7, 2014 4:44 PM
Jul 7, 2014 4:42 PM

Jan 2013
The anime wasn't bad but I'm not feeling the art.

While the water colors were cool they were too blurry and my biggest complain are the characters.

They are the most generic shoujo designs. They look just like every other shoujo manga.
Looks just like pupa except with generic shoujo girls.

Jul 7, 2014 4:50 PM

Feb 2008
Tsundere male for the shoujo audience :o. Okay episode
Jul 7, 2014 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
Visually this shit looks exactly like kimi ni todoke if it was blurry as fuck like Pupa.

Otherwise it has cute colors and i guess its cool seeing the same shoujo romance plot for the 20th time.

6/10.
Jul 7, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:
They are the most generic shoujo designs. They look just like every other shoujo manga.
Looks just like pupa except with generic shoujo girls.

The anime killed the colours. Instead of the pinkish colours, they stuck to brown. :/ It looks a lot better in the manga tbh.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

176 by cooldogmom »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.