Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2014 2:35 AM

Jun 2013
Realistically, they would have checked both places. Even if the police didn't know the second version of the riddle (which is already ridiculous because the internet exists), SOMEBODY would have known it, the video was public after all. It wouldn't have just been that one jackass in the office who solved it.

Stuff like this just bug me, because this show actually tries to take itself seriously then gives a retarded police force.

tl;dr if this happened IRL the bomb would have been immediately found.
Jul 18, 2014 2:57 AM

Aug 2013
I'm going to go ahead and say the OP and ED of this show is the best this season (imo). And I shouldn't have listened to the whole soundtrack (from the other thread) because now the epicness has been spoiled haha >__<

I'm looking forward to what else Nine and Twelve are going to do but at the same I can't help but feel disgusted at myself. When the bomb went off I was like "Ha! They got you good!" Then I remembered they're terrorists. Holy shit wait I shouldn't be thrilled. I guess this is what the show's been aiming for huh?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 18, 2014 3:05 AM
Oct 2013
migohunter said:
xxdeathx said:
Unlike you guys, I can't stand this show's art or music. It's all so...dark and bland. The OP is especially weird. They could take a lesson from NGNL's beautiful vibrant colors and epic soundtrack

So uh... you don't like a realistic color palette?

An OST doesn't have to be "epic" to be fantastic.
It's not realistic. It's more like movie colour palette.

But the fact is the stories and moods are so different so I don't get why these two should be compared. It simply won't fit.
Jul 18, 2014 3:15 AM

Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
Realistically, they would have checked both places. Even if the police didn't know the second version of the riddle (which is already ridiculous because the internet exists), SOMEBODY would have known it, the video was public after all. It wouldn't have just been that one jackass in the office who solved it.

To be fair, I tried to google up the second variation of the riddle with the Oedipus answer and I could not find it at all. Either the variation is extremely obscure or the anime made it up.

Also keep in mind the second part of the riddle the police had to get right, and that was realizing that the bombers directed the riddle towards them. So even if the police knew the answer, they also had to pick up the hint that the bombers were targeting a specific police station at the 243 address. Hell, the police were fortunate in the first place to pick up the fact that the numbers in the riddle represented an address. I don't blame the cops for not figuring out the correct location in so short a time.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 18, 2014 3:20 AM

Jun 2013
migohunter said:
ex_necross said:

To be fair, I tried to google up the second variation of the riddle with the Oedipus answer and I could not find it at all. Either the variation is extremely obscure or the anime made it up.

Also keep in mind the second part of the riddle the police had to get right, and that was realizing that the bombers directed the riddle towards them. So even if the police knew the answer, they also had to pick up the hint that the bombers were targeting a specific police station at the 243 address.

It's a pretty well known riddle, and I'm sure out of the tens of millions of people who would have seen that video, several thousands would have figured it out.

It's just a classic example of incompetent police forces in media. This is still my second favorite show of the season, but a show that takes itself so seriously needs to be more, well, believable.
Jul 18, 2014 3:24 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, dat' was pretty cool. And the riddle...

First I was like "Okey, we know the answer... not funny. But still, why did he put the bomb there ? No sense !"
Then I learned there was another version :)
Jul 18, 2014 3:29 AM

Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
migohunter said:

Also keep in mind the second part of the riddle the police had to get right, and that was realizing that the bombers directed the riddle towards them. So even if the police knew the answer, they also had to pick up the hint that the bombers were targeting a specific police station at the 243 address. Hell, the police were fortunate in the first place to pick up the fact that the numbers in the riddle represented an address. I don't blame the cops for not figuring out the correct location in so short a time.

It's a pretty well known riddle, and I'm sure out of the tens of millions of people who would have seen that video, several thousands would have figured it out.

It's just a classic example of incompetent police forces in media. This is still my second favorite show of the season, but a show that takes itself so seriously needs to be more, well, believable.

You kinda missed my point. Yes, the 4-2-3 variation is very well known, but the 243 variation? Seriously, try googling the second version and see if it exists. It's really not easy at all to find.

How do you know tens of millions of people have watched the video? I forget the time span between the video upload and the bomb going off but it doesn't appear to be very long. Finally, the riddle might be simple on the surface but there are several layers to it that the police have to nail to figure out that particular police station will be bombed. Hindsight is 20/20 after all.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 18, 2014 3:45 AM

Jun 2013
migohunter said:
ex_necross said:

You kinda missed my point. Yes, the 4-2-3 variation is very well known, but the 243 variation? Seriously, try googling the second version and see if it exists. It's really not easy at all to find.

How do you know tens of millions of people have watched the video? I forget the time span between the video upload and the bomb going off but it doesn't appear to be very long. Finally, the riddle might be simple on the surface but there are several layers to it that the police have to nail to figure out that particular police station will be bombed. Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

The viewer thing is pretty obvious. This "youtube" uploader would be the center of the world's and news organization's attention and everybody would be watching the uploads. Imagine how many views videos uploaded by the 9/11 guys would have gotten if they were to do a series of attacks.

The rest is irrelevant. Critical thinking is these guy's jobs, and supposedly they are good if not the best at it. They can figure out riddles. This would be a world event. People would just figure this stuff out. It's as simple as that.

Humans are pretty good at figuring shit out, especially millions of them. Not gonna get into this further though.
Jul 18, 2014 3:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show is so well directed and put together so far. Best of summer 2014 until now. Having said that, I'd like for us to start having some background on the MC's.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 18, 2014 3:55 AM

Apr 2013
ex_necross said:
migohunter said:

The viewer thing is pretty obvious. This "youtube" uploader would be the center of the world's and news organization's attention and everybody would be watching the uploads. Imagine how many views videos uploaded by the 9/11 guys would have gotten if they were to do a series of attacks.

The rest is irrelevant. Critical thinking is these guy's jobs, and supposedly they are good if not the best at it. They can figure out riddles. This would be a world event. People would just figure this stuff out. It's as simple as that.

Humans are pretty good at figuring shit out, especially millions of them. Not gonna get into this further though.

Yeah, I agree with you to some extent.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 18, 2014 4:23 AM

Oct 2013
theanimelover26 said:
i was surprised that the police didnt know the answer to the riddle since its one of the most common riddles in Western culture

they did figure it out, but the wrong riddle
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jul 18, 2014 4:43 AM

Mar 2012
This is turning out to be pretty realistic o_o They used Tor browser to upload the video, good work until here. Thermite reaction, also realistic. I'm really liking this omg
Jul 18, 2014 4:47 AM

Sep 2013
This is seriously badass.
Jul 18, 2014 4:56 AM

Oct 2012
Who discovers Oedipus Rex through a manga? Lisa needs to straighten out her life.

But yeah, I like the direction the anime's gone for. We're now seeing the acts of terrorism being treated on a more "real" level. The duo are no longer the glorified badasses they were in episode one, but look more sinister. Like they should.

Still not sold, but I'm getting there.
Jul 18, 2014 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
TOR reference caught me kind of off-guard,it was unexpected that they would actually mention it.
Though I had not heard about thermite reaction before but it's never too late to learn something.
Jul 18, 2014 5:26 AM

Aug 2009
Amazing episode, definitely better than the first one. Can't wait to see what this anime has in store for us.
Jul 18, 2014 6:00 AM

May 2013
They're geniuses when it comes to turning technology into weapons. Especially for destructive ones. Perfect for sabotaging governments which they can dominate. Sooner or later, they'll likely get caught, I think. But wow, they sure are clever. It seems that Arata is challenging someone to come after him.

Really great. Keeps getting better. I hope this keeps up.
Jul 18, 2014 6:06 AM

Jan 2011
Never knew there was a second version of the riddle.
Jul 18, 2014 6:13 AM

Jun 2013
xxdeathx said:
Unlike you guys, I can't stand this show's art or music. It's all so...dark and bland. The OP is especially weird. They could take a lesson from NGNL's beautiful vibrant colors and epic soundtrack..

It's meant to be dark and bland (even though it really isn't bland). Do you really think this show will be better if the animation was the same as it was in NGNL? It'd be downright strange and unfitting. Dark and bland doesn't mean the animation is bad either, in fact it's better animated than NGNL.

The music is perfectly fitting for the series also and is composed brilliantly. NGNL's OST isn't bad, it's fitting for the atmosphere of the show as is ZNT's.

The OP is fantastic. There's a part of it where 12 smiles nicely and then more sinister and the lyrics says something about a smile, I can't remember exactly but that sticks in my mind.

It baffles me how you compared to two in the first place and I really thought you were trolling but I don't think you are. Each to their own I guess.
Jul 18, 2014 6:32 AM

Apr 2013
brilliant

love the atmosphere
Jul 18, 2014 6:42 AM

Apr 2009
From all the meetings I can conclude that the special forces and the police in this anime are once again pretty dumb... why must 90% of all anime reduce all adults besides the main characters to absolute idiots all the time? I mean that Oedipus reference is something every middle schooler can get right, same for a few of the details in the meeting.... That obvious 9/11 imagery was well directed though and I think the manga art was a clear reference to Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's works.
Sadly, I can already see a lot of potential wasted by making the protagonists too young and the opponents in this mind game too weak. Above average so far, but only because of the production. Watanabe is better at directing visuals than plot and characters in recent times.
NidhoeggrJul 18, 2014 6:57 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 18, 2014 7:52 AM

Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

Sadly, I can already see a lot of potential wasted by making the protagonists too young and the opponents in this mind game too weak.

One of the opponents hasn't officially joined the game yet. I think the police will step up their game after that.
Jul 18, 2014 8:05 AM
Apr 2013
So does anybody know if the second variation of the riddle is actually a thing?
I mean in all fairness that second variation of the riddle is super hard to find if it is even a thing so that gives some reason that they could not find out the riddle.
I prefer if the terroist were older though but it is still pretty good.
Jul 18, 2014 8:28 AM
Apr 2014
mfw they mention Tor xD Be careful if you use that irl, it's one of the most dangerous things on the internet. Killers for sale, human traffic, that kind of shit.

I honestly don't know who to root for here. I'm hoping the police figure something out, but on the other hand I don't want the boys to get caught, no matter how cruel they may be. I wonder what they have gone through though. Maybe VON was some governmental cover-up, and they survived that project or something. I like the name they chose, it's most probably very symbolic.

Speaking of which, I'm honestly surprised to learn something new about the story of Oedipus, we covered that quite extensively in high school. A second riddle, huh? I'll remember that one, although I was surprised that most didn't know the answer to the first one. Here in Belgium that's common knowledge.

I like Shibazaki (he's my favourite character in the show for now), but I'm interested in Lisa too. She hasn't had much time to shine yet, but with this anime touching on parental abuse (mental in this case) and bullying too, I have no doubt that she will play a pretty big role, if she doesn't get killed by Twelve first.

Now the real question is, what will they use the plutonium for? Will they truly make a bomb with it, or use it to pressure the government? Although making anything but a dirty bomb out of plutonium is impossible without some really specialized equipment. I'm seriously interested in this series, I can't even start to guess how it will turn out.

Edit:
athetosis said:
theanimelover26 said:
i was surprised that the police didnt know the answer to the riddle since its one of the most common riddles in Western culture

Do you know most of the common Eastern riddles? Being Chinese-Canadian, all the riddles I know of are western.
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for pointing it out, although with their school system being build by the Americans, you'd think there'd be some classical European literature in their curriculum.
storm_king1 said:
you can clearly see in this episode the world trade center was used as a model for the rubble. some of scenes looked exactly the same, not to mention the 2 mains names are nine and twelve which is just one day off from 9/11
Nice catch on that.
Nidhoeggr said:
Why must 90% of all anime reduce all adults besides the main characters to absolute idiots all the time?
I have asked myself that very same question all too often already. To be fair though, it's not only anime that does that.
UnleashTheGoatJul 18, 2014 8:50 AM
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Jul 18, 2014 9:26 AM

May 2014
Always interesting to see the investigation process at work, but I'm getting huge Death Note vibes. It's just me I guess, as the anti-heroes seem to have an interesting background story to be told, unlike Light Yagami, who just turns evil over time as the show goes on.

Love Shibasaki's character design.

I REMEMBER TOUCH. PICTURES CAME WITH TOUCH. A PAINTER IN MY MIND.
Jul 18, 2014 9:32 AM

Jun 2014
The music in this anime is superb, definitely noting that on my review. This is finally a psychological that seems much more promising than what I've watched so far.
Great episode, can't wait to see what happens next week.

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jul 18, 2014 9:35 AM
Mar 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
Who discovers Oedipus Rex through a manga?
I think it's one of the weirdest things I have seen in anime (a similar thing was pressing on the analog phone dialers numbers).

So, if it's normal to learn about greek literature through manga, why not learn history using manga instead of books? Herodotus works in manga form would be faster to read... And if we're going that far, I wouldn't mind reading a manga adaptation of Almagest...
Jul 18, 2014 9:37 AM

Jan 2010
Another great episode! Reminded me of death note, that nostalgia.

Almost perfect direction, besides animation, soundtrack and characters. Only I did not like the seiyuus, rest is the best anime this season, fired. I hope soon to know the motives of terrorists, and hopefully nothing as 'personal'.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Jul 18, 2014 9:52 AM
Jul 2014
Awesome atmosphere, awesome characters, awesome OST, awesome build up which makes for an awesome episode!
Keep it up, I'm ready for this wild ride.
Jul 18, 2014 9:56 AM

Nov 2013
wow what a great riddle incorporation. Didn't expect Oedipus Rex at all.
Jul 18, 2014 10:20 AM
Dec 2011
junpants said:
The music in this anime is superb, definitely noting that on my review. This is finally a psychological that seems much more promising than what I've watched so far.
Great episode, can't wait to see what happens next week.

Yeah, the ending is perfect.It grasp the meaning of this anime pretty well consider only 2 eps have been release so far.In the OP, the lyrics suggest the broken wings or something, but in the ED,Lisa was drowning and there is presence of the ravens so I really hope Lisa will make it into the duo's plan and become one of them as well.I haven't been excited like this for a while thou lol.This is gonna be a great serie for this summer.
Jul 18, 2014 10:51 AM

Oct 2013
Well the riddle was really common and they probably did that on purpose or sth? So the police would surely find them? Idk... Good episode though and good music.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 18, 2014 10:59 AM

Dec 2013
This show is freakin awesome. Nothing else. Can't wait for more. Opening and Endings are GREAT! So good. 5/5 from me for this episode.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jul 18, 2014 11:20 AM

Mar 2013
Very promising.
I didn't know there was another answer to the riddle.
The OST is growing on me, which is always a great sign.

12 and the ex-detective (the one who solved the riddle late) are probably related.
Jul 18, 2014 11:31 AM

Jan 2014
Watanabe and Kanno do it again, i'm hooked so far.
Jul 18, 2014 11:42 AM

Sep 2008
Oh! I know that riddle xD
Jul 18, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
brilliant and refreshing
Jul 18, 2014 11:54 AM

Feb 2011
that was good. i want to know what's the reason for them doing thisss, what is he "waiting" for?
Jul 18, 2014 11:55 AM

Feb 2011
OST SO GOOD MAN.
Jul 18, 2014 12:10 PM

Apr 2012
It probably wouldn't have mattered if the cops found out the meaning behind the riddle sooner anyways. They were just taunting them because IIRC the bomb was not on a timer. They accomplished just that.

Jul 18, 2014 12:24 PM

May 2012
Pretty good episode. This along with Space Dandy are definitely my favs this season so far.
I must be one of the few that didn't know that riddle. I guess I'm not as cultured as you nerds.
Jul 18, 2014 12:27 PM

Apr 2013
Damn this is getting me hyped up more than the other animes currently out there.
Can't wait for the next!
OST is great
5/5
Jul 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Oct 2011
Amazing first 2 episodes!
Jul 18, 2014 12:52 PM
Oct 2010
Ducat_Revel said:
Who discovers Oedipus Rex through a manga? Lisa needs to straighten out her life.

What? Why would she need to straighten out her life?

Nidhoeggr said:
From all the meetings I can conclude that the special forces and the police in this anime are once again pretty dumb... why must 90% of all anime reduce all adults besides the main characters to absolute idiots all the time? I mean that Oedipus reference is something every middle schooler can get right

And the police figured it out instantly, they just over thought about the situation and connected man to DNA which made them assume that they had the correct answer.
Jul 18, 2014 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
This anime is going to be amazing, I just know it! I love it so far.
Jul 18, 2014 1:24 PM

Mar 2011
Ah, I'm enjoying this series so much. Great episode.
Jul 18, 2014 1:49 PM

Dec 2010
Lol am I the only one who isn't too impressed by this anime? I mean the visuals and soundtrack are great and all, but the characters are clichéd and it feels pretentious. I really wanted to like this ughhhhghg. It's nowhere near Death Note imo.

sykodelic-ninja said:
I feel like they're trying too hard to come off as an "intellectual" anime. They just throw out words like thermite, phreatic, and tor and then call the terrorists "extremely intelligent" for predicting a phreatic reaction. Please, the area wasn't confined enough to cause a massive steam explosion, if those really are super pillars they won't be melted by thermite, and tor isn't some infallible protection. Also, did they make up the 2nd version of the riddle? I can't find references to it online.

My thoughts exactly. And I found it funny how the guy figured out the bomb was in that building because the terrorists said "so, everyone, especially those of you from the police, here's a riddle for you." Yeah right lol.
SunkenShipJul 18, 2014 5:01 PM
Jul 18, 2014 2:02 PM
Oct 2010
SunkenShip said:
Lol am I the only who isn't too impressed by this anime? I mean the visuals and soundtrack are great and all, but the characters are clichéd and it feels pretentious. I really wanted to like this ughhhhghg. It's nowhere near Death Note imo.

Cliche and pretentious huh? Normally those two don't go together, but for the sake of discussion, what do you mean by that?

SunkenShip said:

sykodelic-ninja said:
I feel like they're trying too hard to come off as an "intellectual" anime. They just throw out words like thermite, phreatic, and tor and then call the terrorists "extremely intelligent" for predicting a phreatic reaction. Please, the area wasn't confined enough to cause a massive steam explosion, if those really are super pillars they won't be melted by thermite, and tor isn't some infallible protection. Also, did they make up the 2nd version of the riddle? I can't find references to it online.

My thoughts exactly. And I found it funny how the guy figured out the bomb was in that building because the terrorists said "so, everyone, especially those of you from the police, here's a riddle for you." Yeah right lol.

Huh? He only made an assumption from that statement, and used the address from the number sequence to back up his theory. He even stated if (emphasis on IF) the number sequence was an address it would most likely be the police station.

Although he figured it out he wasn't even sure if he was right, he merely gave an alternative answer. Also a show trying to explain things to the user doesn't make it try to be intellectual, it just tries to make it more believable.
Jul 18, 2014 2:27 PM

Apr 2013
This anime seems really interesting.

I wonder what the real purpose of their terrorism is.
Sure something about their past (looks like they were used for experiments or so) - but does Shibazaki has anything to do with them (seems like twelve was waiting for him to come "back").
At least, one can say that they do not want to kill anyone. Therefore I think that they were playing on the fact that the police would only know the first riddle. This way the police left the station and they could blow up the police station without killing anyone. (Sure, the fact that EVERYBODY left the police station is maybe a bit unrealistic but well... let's be not to exact).
Furthermore, I think that the black out was not only for planting the bombs but also a way to prevent the deaths of thousands of people. (The news said: "Only 27 with minor injuries - miraculous.")

I wonder if VON has anything to do with "Volatile Organic Nitrogen". At least, you can say that Nitrogen is often involved in explosive material...

Oh my~, what are these kids planning on doing with the plutonium *gulp*

tingy said:
sweetdrops said:

Yay Pandora hearts!

Oh nice :D I think I see Yotsubato and Kimi to Boku too!
"

Don't forget Black bird.
Jul 18, 2014 3:03 PM

Dec 2010
skudoops said:
Cliche and pretentious huh? Normally those two don't go together, but for the sake of discussion, what do you mean by that?

Um yeah.
- Quiet, genius bishounen with glasses.
- Quirky and playful high school boy who looks 12.
- Depressed pretty girl.
- Dumb police. Everyone is dumb, really (apart from the "extremely intelligent" high school kids and the guy who solved the riddle).

skudoops said:
Huh? He only made an assumption from that statement, and used the address from the number sequence to back up his theory. He even stated if (emphasis on IF) the number sequence was an address it would most likely be the police station.

Although he figured it out he wasn't even sure if he was right, he merely gave an alternative answer. Also a show trying to explain things to the user doesn't make it try to be intellectual, it just tries to make it more believable.

The sentence felt more like a challenge to the police than an indication of some location. He said "so they probably mean the bomb is where the police themselves are". What?

Also, I might have missed something but why was it necessary to solve the riddle in the first place? 2-4-3 was already there. They could have said the bomb is at a store called Oedipus and it would have still worked loool. And also, when the police thought the answer was 'man' and apparently did not notice that the boys said 2-4-3 not 4-2-3 I cried. Seriously? I was waiting for someone to correct him while he has explaining that bad riddle everybody knows about but no. Nothing. Our "brilliant" friend did at the last minute.

I'm sorry, I thought that was a bit cheap. It may get better, but so far I'm not liking it. And reread what sykodelic-ninja wrote; that's what made it look pretentious. But it's great that everyone enjoys it, I guess.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

379 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 2:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.