Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2014 6:04 PM

Mar 2014
Wow that was a great episode! Didn't expect to find the Oedipus Sphinx riddle in anime and it was interesting how they added in the coke and mentos gag
Jul 17, 2014 6:31 PM

Aug 2011
For all the people complaining about how common knowledge the riddle was...it's probably not as commonly known in Japan. I'm sure most Japanese people don't study classical mythology as part of their normal education.

Other than that, it was better than the 1st episode but I'm still waiting for Lisa to be important.
Jul 17, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2009
Im really enjoying this series! And the soundtrack is perfect! *-*
Jul 17, 2014 7:09 PM
Feb 2011
anyone know...

the sphinx's videos are reference to a real terrorist video?
Jul 17, 2014 7:14 PM

Apr 2014
This is getting better with every episode !
Jul 17, 2014 7:30 PM

Feb 2013
The mysteries keep on adding up and unfolding.
I think Shibazaki-san had encountered this group, VON, before.

and also, there's no preview for the next episode. >.<!!

[i]Moderator Edit: combined posts
Suzune-chanJul 17, 2014 7:42 PM
Jul 17, 2014 7:36 PM

Nov 2013
It was pretty damn good considering it was only the second episode.

Apr 2014
This anime is beautiful.

The riddles and the mystery surrounding VON are so interesting! Can't wait for the next episode :3

Sep 2013
So far this anime has been amazing.
The riddle thing plus the twist were nice.

The animation is movie-like, and the OST is awesome too.
Jul 17, 2014 7:51 PM

Dec 2013
God this anime just keeps it coming with surprises, I love every single bit about it
Jul 17, 2014 7:57 PM

Aug 2013
This is f'ing awesome. That is all.
Jul 17, 2014 7:57 PM

Jan 2011
solid episode everything was very well thought out and explained

not knowing to much about Greek mythology i found the riddle interesting,but plutonium these guys seriously plan on leveling Tokyo huh.

the future looks grim for everyone.
Jul 17, 2014 8:10 PM
Oct 2012
Adair said:
For all the people complaining about how common knowledge the riddle was...

The funny thing is that most Japanese probably know the riddle, but the second version is something I believe that even most Greeks don't know. So even if the author made the first riddle seem too obscure, it really wouldn't have mattered since even if "everyone" knew it, they still would have drawn the wrong conclusion.

Adair said:
Other than that, it was better than the 1st episode but I'm still waiting for Lisa to be important.

While the first two episodes have been extremely good, I still haven't gone "all in" with this show. But I do know this, whether this show will be a 9-10 or a 5-6 will ultimately depend on Lisa.

Edit: on the Von, it may be me, but I have a feeling that the truth to it should be read upside down: Aon. Will be interested to see the true meaning behind it either way.
Jul 17, 2014 8:22 PM
Jul 2014
This episode was captivating. Feel sorry for Lisa right now though :( She doesn't seem to have a good life at home and at school.
Jul 17, 2014 8:43 PM

Oct 2012
I want Lisa to take the initiative, and either go against those guys or join them, but because she wants to (as revenge or as a way to protect her delirious mother), not because someone tells her to.

I agree with Takuan_Soho-- how good this anime will be mostly depends on what they'll decide to do with Lisa, imo.
Jul 17, 2014 8:52 PM
Jul 2013
Damn, the characters are interesting as f. I wonder if the guy who figured out the puzzle will join the police force.

Can't wait to see flashbacks of all those characters <3 <3
Jul 17, 2014 8:53 PM
Oct 2010
I can't really see Lisa being that relevant in the grand scheme of things to be honest. I've been thinking where she could fit in with all of this but she can't really be a moral compass for these guys or anything like that ( since they already haven't avoided killing peopled) and doesn't really have the knowledge or training to straight up join them (I'd imagine if she did they'd train her).

All things considered unless they really fuck up, at worst she is an annoying reluctant co-conspirator or a plot device (i.e getting kidnapped, killed or something like that). Hopefully she isn't a love interest or anything, that would be sorta lame considering how focused the guys seem to be.
GD1551Jul 17, 2014 8:56 PM
Jul 17, 2014 8:55 PM

Apr 2010
OK quick question if there are any Greek speakers here:

The episode made a big deal over the fact that the word Sphinx is pronounced "Spinks" instead of "Sfinx" as is normally done in English and that that is the proper Greek pronunciation.

Is that right?
Jul 17, 2014 9:02 PM
Jul 2014
Awesome episode, loved the riddles. They made me feel like this was the Davinci Code or something XD a race against time to decipher the riddle, find the bomb and identify the terrorists (although they still managed to fuck it up in the process)!

Nine still swag and chill as always, twelve still happy and twisted. Honestly, I think twelve is probably the more... "mentally-unstable" of the two, considering the imposing death threat made towards Lisa. Anyway, it's weird. I think the scene were twelve put the mentos in the cola-tea mixture he made Lisa hold was kind of odd foreshadowing. Like, with the bomb when they enabled it to explode by calling it, it's kind of like the mentos: it looked seemingly "innocent" but ended with a "bang" (the chemical reaction which caused it to explode). That something so little can cause such a big reaction- that's my take anyway.

Can't wait for more.
Jul 17, 2014 9:17 PM

Jan 2013
Another amazing episode! This anime has a massive amount of potential and is so far living up to the hype I've had about it for months! Can't wait for next week.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2014 9:23 PM

Apr 2012
That was a pretty sick episode. That Oedipus manga needs an anime adaptation ASAP lol. Really appreciated the small things like referencing Tor and explaining the destruction of the building using scientific explanations at the conference. The soundtrack was great as usual. I think I'm sold on this series ~
zzzeallyJul 17, 2014 9:27 PM

Jul 17, 2014 9:45 PM

Mar 2013
It's hard to root for both protagonists when they're terrorists.
Geniuses battling out! This is going to be really interesting :)
Jul 17, 2014 10:00 PM

Dec 2012
I'm calling it right now, anime of the season. It's just up to Fall to make me question if it's anime of the year.
Jul 17, 2014 10:02 PM

Jan 2014
Honestly this is beating akame and Tokyo ghoul by a landslide, can't wait till next week !
Jul 17, 2014 10:03 PM

Oct 2012
Zeally said:
That was a pretty sick episode. That Oedipus manga needs an anime adaptation ASAP lol. Really appreciated the small things like referencing Tor and explaining the destruction of the building using scientific explanations at the conference. The soundtrack was great as usual. I think I'm sold on this series ~
The usage of those terms was correct, too, which was a surprise, considering how often they fuck up the explanations in anime, lol.
Jul 17, 2014 10:22 PM

Aug 2013
Gotta say the story is fantastic and that's really the only thing that's saving me from dropping it. That and the OST

Every character is shit. They're either creepy weird, or boring as hell.
OP and ED are awful.

But the plot and suspense are good, and it looks like it's gonna be a solid 1 cour anime so I guess that's its saving grace.
Jul 17, 2014 10:36 PM

Oct 2011
So stoked for this show
Jul 17, 2014 10:36 PM

Nov 2012
seriously, am I the only one that got ticked off because of how dumb the cops are. Really, they can't even remember the riddle right. And even when they remember it wrong, they still can't solve it immediately. I mean that riddle with the answer "human", it's a really, really familiar riddle, almost everyone knows about it.

Beside that, great episode, the tension, the atmosphere, just excellent
Jul 17, 2014 10:39 PM
Jun 2013
Can't make a show where the protagonists are fugitives without making the authorities somewhat incompetent.

Still better than average. Curious where this is headed. One thing's for sure, I do not expect both 9 or 12 to survive.
Jul 17, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2013
Looks like one more week for those who previewed at Anime Expo and Japan Expo to finally continue Zankyou no Terror!

Love Touji (Twelve). He's that cool yet serious character.
Jul 17, 2014 10:47 PM

Apr 2013
Kuro_Kishi said:
seriously, am I the only one that got ticked off because of how dumb the cops are. Really, they can't even remember the riddle right. And even when they remember it wrong, they still can't solve it immediately. I mean that riddle with the answer "human", it's a really, really familiar riddle, almost everyone knows about it.

It is possible that the riddles we are familiar with are not common knowledge in Japan, especially if they refer to Greek mythology. Not too surprised that they didn't get it straight away.

However, it was definitely a lot of incompetence on their part to not remember the riddle correctly. Most likely they were so caught up with the riddle's answer and the fact that 4-2-3 links to a DNA facility that they did not realize they had been mistaken.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 17, 2014 11:35 PM

Nov 2013
Unlike you guys, I can't stand this show's art or music. It's all so...dark and bland. The OP is especially weird. They could take a lesson from NGNL's beautiful vibrant colors and epic soundtrack.

That being said, the writing and symbolism are god damn amazing and the only things keeping me watching. Everything that's shown was calculated and had significance. Can't say anything about the characters yet; don't know enough about them. They could get some more time to be fleshed out, but right now I don't like them.
Jul 17, 2014 11:37 PM

May 2014
Loving the guy who solved the riddle. This one has a very Death Note feeling, specifically the kids being Light and Shibasaki and a few other police members being L. Liking it so far. Adapting to the animation. The sound still doesn't sound godly in my ears.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jul 17, 2014 11:39 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I really enjoyed this one. Particularly excited for the "battle" between the detective and MC's. I'm always up for a battle of wits. Not too crazy for the characters, though.
Ston3_FreeN7Jul 17, 2014 11:44 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 17, 2014 11:43 PM

Dec 2010
Nice pacing, with underlying suspense...I like it.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Jul 17, 2014 11:47 PM
Nov 2013
The soundtrack, THE SOUNDTRACK! Man I love me some good anime soundtracks.
Oh, and this was a great second episode and this is only getting better so far. I honestly hope Lisa becomes a bomber as well, it seems like Nine and Twelve are doing it for a reason..
Jul 17, 2014 11:51 PM
Jan 2013
Not as exciting as the first episode, but still interesting. Really makes you think.

I wonder how Lisa will fit into all this. I remember Twelve said that Lisa had eyes like those kids at the institution, so maybe she'll eventually join them? I doubt that she'll work against them.

I'm still thinking about their motivations. They're lashing out against the establishment, right? It's revenge-driven.

Twelve somewhat disturbs me. He seems more dangerous than Nine. Especially that threat at the end... I wonder why Lisa would go after them though, if it was me, I'd stay the heck away.
Jul 18, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2014
Mythology. Riddles. TOR! Plutonium weapons! Thermite as a weapon, too. Wow! I'm thrilled! ❤
Jul 18, 2014 12:13 AM
Jul 18, 2014 12:27 AM

May 2009
I liked how Nine went into the police place in disguise, and him and Twelve playing rock paper scissors was pretty funny.
Jul 18, 2014 1:05 AM
Apr 2012
I'm totally the police, first heard the riddle "It human, easy."
But then they actually use 2-4-3 not 4-2-3
I love this episode so much. Usually when there is a story that the lead is villain, I would get bored when they focus on the "righteous" side. But this anime keep me on edge. I hope that Lisa won't stop them, but join them instead.
Jul 18, 2014 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
The intensity and suspense is getting into me, It's going to my top animes of the summer season :D.

Looks like Lisa have some horrible experience in her life. Nine and Twelve are like dominating the police with their riddles and tricking them to a different location. Seems like Nine knows Shibasaki, the suspense is killing me, now I need the next episode.

Jul 18, 2014 1:13 AM

Jan 2014
xxdeathx said:
Unlike you guys, I can't stand this show's art or music. It's all so...dark and bland. The OP is especially weird. They could take a lesson from NGNL's beautiful vibrant colors and epic soundtrack.

That being said, the writing and symbolism are god damn amazing and the only things keeping me watching. Everything that's shown was calculated and had significance. Can't say anything about the characters yet; don't know enough about them. They could get some more time to be fleshed out, but right now I don't like them.

As someone who likes NGNL, the colour scheme is the most detestable thing about that show and the reason I took so long to watch it. It would be absolutely ridiculous and insulting to the audience in a show like this.
Jul 18, 2014 1:18 AM
May 2014
Most importantly why did the adjustable spanner sound like a socket wrench! :P

Awesome eps of what has potential to be an awesome show
Jul 18, 2014 1:29 AM

Aug 2008
I'm rooting for the terrorists yo.

I haven't watched/read Death Note, but I'm sure this anime happens to be very similar in is basic elements. I didn't quite grew up in Western culture, so the first time I heard of this riddle was when watching an animated series way back in the day (Ghost Busters lol).

But what can you do with Plutonium? I don't think building a nuclear bomb from some Plutonium stolen from a civilian power plant is very feasible... But I'm no expert in the area, so I don't know.
Jul 18, 2014 1:31 AM

Apr 2013
xxdeathx said:
Unlike you guys, I can't stand this show's art or music. It's all so...dark and bland. The OP is especially weird. They could take a lesson from NGNL's beautiful vibrant colors and epic soundtrack

So uh... you don't like a realistic color palette?

An OST doesn't have to be "epic" to be fantastic.
Powerful eyebrows.
Jul 18, 2014 1:41 AM

Nov 2012
migohunter said:
Kuro_Kishi said:

It is possible that the riddles we are familiar with are not common knowledge in Japan, especially if they refer to Greek mythology. Not too surprised that they didn't get it straight away.

However, it was definitely a lot of incompetence on their part to not remember the riddle correctly. Most likely they were so caught up with the riddle's answer and the fact that 4-2-3 links to a DNA facility that they did not realize they had been mistaken.

Yeah, I kinda agree with you. If that riddle is not common in Japan, the fact that they remember it wrong is just unbelievable.

And seriously, no one thinks of googling the god damn riddle @@, but instead tries to solve it by reading a book
Hoshino_MariaJul 18, 2014 1:44 AM
Jul 18, 2014 1:54 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode! so far this and Barakamon are the best anime of this season for me. Can't wait for the next epsiode and hopefully this series keeps it up the hype.
bbboi90Jul 18, 2014 2:21 AM
A piece of my brain just shot out of my weiner!- Onodera Punpun
Jul 18, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
So much mystery toward Kokonoe & Hisami's motive.

To give a quick rehash of Oedipus's story is a win in my book.

Would also like know about Shibasaki, and his relevance to the first division

May root for the police force depending on the significance of Shibasaki's role

Jul 18, 2014 2:28 AM

Dec 2011
Lisa's mother is a freaking lunatic...

Ohooo, no fatalities, good job guys.

So Nine's infiltrating a police station now huh.

It sure took them long enough to solve that riddle lol.

Damn... Twelve sure was scary when he told Lisa that he'd kill her if she made a wrong move.

At least Shibasaki seems like a worthy opponent for Twelve and Nine.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

379 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 2:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.