Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 6:14 PM

Sep 2011
jimjameswhatever said:
I love it when animes get children RIGHT. None of that typical loli stuff.

Yeah! Isn't it awesome when a child sounds like a child rather than an adult that has been huffing helium? By the looks of it the voice actress is actually a child. She's doing an amazing job for her first work!
Jul 5, 2014 6:15 PM

Apr 2013
Very pleasant start to this series. I love it. Lots of cute and hilarious moments, and the OP and ED are nice. Naru is adorable.
Jul 5, 2014 6:27 PM

Oct 2012
ive been waiting for this anime for so long, definitely not dissapointed
loving ono daisuke as handa
naru is so energetic, her accent is cute too

really love the art, they did a great job!
cant wait for the next episode xD
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 5, 2014 6:29 PM

Jun 2013
What a nice first episode to enjoy. A guy (kinda) hitting rock bottom and get his life turned around once he sees a innocent and good nature girl as well as a kind and close community to brighten up his "slice of life".

The ending theme is good too (thanks Ryo) and for some reason Naru and the crying girl reminds me of Ritsu and Mio from K-on!
Jul 5, 2014 6:30 PM

Feb 2014
THis was a pretty good episode. Naru is really something. My favourite scenes was the way she was kicked out of the house and when she was pushed into the sea. It was too funny! OP and ED are pretty good. Episode 2 will be enjoyable.

NaughtyNoddy said:
Nice start! It reminds me of Yotsubato, which is already in my favourites, so I think I'm going to like this.

That's my reason for trying this^
Jul 5, 2014 6:35 PM

Apr 2014
It was cute, and I can tell this series is going to end up being really touching in some way.
It was funny, too.

I really liked the opening and ending songs as well!
Jul 5, 2014 6:48 PM

Apr 2013
Very good job!
Good characters, beautiful art and amazing OP and ED.
Best first episode of the season.
Jul 5, 2014 6:50 PM

May 2014
i loved this! the girl is so cute >.<
Jul 5, 2014 7:13 PM

Dec 2013
was funny, Naru is lovely and so spontaneous. The old man at first spoke arrogantly, but Seishuu realized he spoke the truth, his father must be very wise to send him cool off in this island.

One of these days I'll test that trick of the air jacket that Naru did hahaha
Jul 5, 2014 7:23 PM

Aug 2012
OH MY GOD! An anime that actually looks like it will be good, in this season!
Jul 5, 2014 7:29 PM
Feb 2014
I really liked it. Much better than Glasslip, which was one of the other SoL anime I was looking forward to.

So far, I really like the 2 main characters, Naru and Handa. Handa doesnt seem like a bad guy at all, he hust seems a bit too young and under exposed to the world. His character seems pretty realistic and relatable to. Naru is just cute, and fun to watch.

The episode was nice and relaxing, and was pretty funny at times. The after credits scene was pretty funny, haha. I like the direction this story is taking.

Liked the OP. The first OP I've noticed this season.

I'm surprised this series isn't particularly popular. I thought t was one of the more anticipated shows, but I guess I was wrong. I guess this could be considered a hidden gem. I betted on Hanayamata being one, but tknowing how underwhelming the response has been for this anime, I'm adding this to my list of dark horses for this season.

In any case, looking forward to the next episode. This has replaced BwMK as my weekly dose of cheerfulness.
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 5, 2014 7:31 PM

Dec 2012
Always love watching the shows that don't have a ton of hype. It pretty much means I'm in for a pleasant surprise. Silver Spoon in the winter, Isshukan Friends in the Spring, and now this :)
Jul 5, 2014 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
I'm surprised the MAL rating of this is only in the 7s right now. I just went over all four pages in this thread and mostly everyone except for one person is giving positive feedback. I guess we're all the type of people not to rate based off one episode.

Anyway, that was fantastic. I expected this show to be good since it was announced and it went even beyond my expectations. Heartwarming and deep with strong Gin no Saji/Wolf Children/Usagi Drop vibes, which is great. This is my favourite non-sequel of the season so far.

Looking forward to next week.
Jul 5, 2014 7:47 PM

Jul 2013
Wow nice episode!
I can already tell how much I'll love this.
Funny stuff
Dat punch XD
Naru and Hina are both cute
Hina's reactions XD
This will be amazing.
Such a heartwarming episode.
Can't wait for more.
Jul 5, 2014 7:55 PM

Nov 2012
Nice punch,that guy deserved it.

Dat adorable loli.Though her voice sounds rather boyish (and well uncute),but I guess their trying to be realistic because not all japanese people sound like KanaHana).

Hina is annoying,too much cry.

FUN
http://imgur.com/UdSijLN
He sure seem happy :).

Adorable picture spotted in the OP
http://imgur.com/mGKKJtt

Very atmospheric,hope this'll be as good as Non Non Biyori.Also the ED was fantastic.
Jul 5, 2014 8:00 PM

Nov 2011
This was my most anticipated show this season, and I really liked this first episode. Very charming. Naru is bubbly, while not annoying, and her VA is doing a great job considering she is only a child. Handa needs to mature, and Naru and the island help him develop as a person and character; a simple and familiar story in the slice-of-life genre, but always effective. The main characters' chemistry is great so far, and the comedy is good as well.
Jul 5, 2014 8:02 PM

Sep 2013
MissileSoup said:
This was my most anticipated show this season, and I really liked this first episode. Very charming. Naru is bubbly, while not annoying, and her VA is doing a great job considering she is only a child. Naru and the island develop Handa as a person and character; a simple and familiar story in the slice-of-life genre, but always effective. The main characters' chemistry is great so far, and the comedy is good as well.

Ya I didn't even notice Naru's voice was an actual child, probably because it sounded so professionally done. Really impressed, and love that they went for a more realistic approach to children, rather then just pandering to the masses by making them moe cuteness and nothing else.
Jul 5, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2012
Keten said:
MissileSoup said:
This was my most anticipated show this season, and I really liked this first episode. Very charming. Naru is bubbly, while not annoying, and her VA is doing a great job considering she is only a child. Naru and the island develop Handa as a person and character; a simple and familiar story in the slice-of-life genre, but always effective. The main characters' chemistry is great so far, and the comedy is good as well.

Ya I didn't even notice Naru's voice was an actual child, probably because it sounded so professionally done. Really impressed, and love that they went for a more realistic approach to children, rather then just pandering to the masses by making them moe cuteness and nothing else.

Exactly my thoughts. This show doesn't need any of that otaku pandering stuff to stay quirky and fun.
Jul 5, 2014 8:06 PM

Jan 2012
Having read the first 25 chapters of the manga before the anime was even announced for this series I had high expectations and so far the show hasn't disappointed. I'm also thrilled Funi licensed it, definite purchase.
Jul 5, 2014 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
I was waiting a lot for this and it didn't disappointed me!
Naru and her voice are adorable, Handa is pretty cool. I'm feeling this will be one of the best animes of this year! Can't wait for next episode.
Also, that post-ending scene with Handa's laugh and the poor village leader was hillarious.
「喜びも悲しみもあなたさえ五等分なんです!」

Jul 5, 2014 8:35 PM

Nov 2010
Oh YES, this is what i wanted.
now i have something to look forward to, every week. this is gonna be fun.
Jul 5, 2014 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
Nice series, I love it so far.
I like Naru, she is so cute.
Jul 5, 2014 8:44 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Very pleasant to watch. I was honestly worried that the little girl was a boy, I had to pause the episode and check her character page to be sure.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 5, 2014 8:46 PM
Aug 2011
One of the series I was looking forward to the most this Summer and it didn't disappoint at all!

Thank god Naru acts like a child and not something like she's a super haxxor genius gamer (shimapan wearing) BS- ugh.
Yes it is very charming indeed. Oh this will bring some joy to me every week.
standJul 5, 2014 8:54 PM
Jul 5, 2014 8:58 PM
Aug 2013
This was a really sweet episode. It gave me an "Aishteruze Baby!" vibe to it. Ono Daisuke is amazing. I had a feeling that it was him, but wasn't completely sure until I looked it up and he definitely did an amazing job as usual. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jul 5, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
That was fantastic! MCs funny and Naru <3 Wait what, her VA is a kid? The acting was really good, I thought it was done by a veteran O__O
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 5, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2008
marian11 said:
I think this will be like a funny version of Usagi Drop, which would be awesome cuz I love Usagi Drop.

That's what I was thinking too. Barakamon looks more fun and light-hearted, without all the serious overtones of Usagi Drop. Hopefully without the questionable romance as well, since that ruined it for me in Usagi Drop's latter half.
Estoy_GordoJul 5, 2014 9:17 PM
Jul 5, 2014 9:12 PM

Oct 2009
Very enjoyable! Glad I looked at this show and watched the ep-made me smile quite a lot.

Jul 5, 2014 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
Great first episode. Little girl is so adorable and her interaction with Handa had me laughing quite a bit.
Jul 5, 2014 9:25 PM

Apr 2012
Very good start and I think we will have a lot of fun with the show ^^
Jul 5, 2014 9:40 PM
Jul 2014
Love the manga for this and was so excited to see an anime for it! So far its good, the comedy and cuteness is all there, although they switched the scenes up a bit. Naru's voice is also different than what I imagined. Oh well, I'll get used to it in no time. Can't wait for the next one~
HuaXueJul 5, 2014 9:44 PM
Jul 5, 2014 9:43 PM

Jun 2012
Gonna be a good season
Jul 5, 2014 9:45 PM

Apr 2008
A most pleasant anime I've seen for a while! Absolutely loved the music and the whole idea in general! This could be a hidden gem of this season!
Jul 5, 2014 9:52 PM

Jul 2010
For me, hands down best first episode of the season.
Even beat Tokyo Ghoul.

I was dreading watching this - I mean, how could an anime about calligraphy be interesting?
God I was so wrong. And I'm so glad that I was.

This was so heartwarming, relaxing, hilarious, and just an incredibly beautiful start to what I know will be a great series.
The episode gave me a Gin no Saji vibe, with the difference in an urban and rural lifestyle.

I'll totally be looking forward to this every week.
As he was laughing and writing "Fun" at the end, I couldn't help but grin as well. I can't wait for him to be humbled even further.
Not to mention, the little girl is absolutely adorable.

I have a feeling I'll be coming out of this anime with an experience similar to that of Usagi Drop. Totally can't wait. :)
Jul 5, 2014 9:56 PM
Apr 2014
MC look resembles a lot like a grown-up version of Oreki Houtaru.

Naru is adorable :3

T'was a good start, made me smiled all the way till the end :)
Jul 5, 2014 10:13 PM

Dec 2013
between this, tokyo ghoul and aldnoah zero it feels like we're off to a pretty damn good season, and thats before zankyou no terror which is the show i'm the most hyped for.

last season we had one excellent show (ping pong), 2 decent shows (kawaisou, sidonia) and a the rest were either forgettable or otaku pander-fests.
Jul 5, 2014 10:19 PM

Jul 2012
thedryness said:
last season we had one excellent show (ping pong), 2 decent shows (kawaisou, sidonia) and a the rest were either forgettable or otaku pander-fests.

You missed out on Haikyuu, Kindaichi, Soredemo, and Baby Steps, but okay.
Jul 5, 2014 10:20 PM

Dec 2012
Wow! That was absolutely hilarious and cute! I haven't laughed this much from an anime in a long, long time. ALL of the music I heard in this episode was fantastic, including the OP and the ED. This is the best anime for me this season as of right now, and I can easily see this making it onto my favorites IF it keeps up this quality (almost positive that it will).

10/10 for this episode, best this season. On a side note, the preview for the next episode made me crack up quite a bit! Can't wait!
Uber_DewberJul 5, 2014 10:26 PM
Jul 5, 2014 10:20 PM

Nov 2013
tis' was a mighty ep'
( ˘ ³˘) ♥ (0‿0✿)
Jul 5, 2014 10:22 PM

Mar 2013
This turned out exactly how I hoped. I knew the anime'd be better than the manga (just because I think comedy anime is a million times better than comedy manga due to how visual it can make things), and it already is. Naru is super cute and I love her voice!
Jul 5, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
aw, this was funny and relaxing. i think this show will be a really comfy one. c: can't wait for the next episode!
Jul 5, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2013
HybridMBL said:
Gonna be a good season
Jul 5, 2014 10:30 PM

Sep 2010
This is gonna be an amazing feels good show. The songs are great, the character art is adorable, and the background art is stunning (That ED was gorgeous). Surprisingly it's also funny without being forced and the last scene (after the ED) had me rolling. 5/5 excited for more to come!
Jul 5, 2014 10:37 PM

Aug 2009
The kid is soo cute!~~~ > u <

also loving the op and ed !
Jul 5, 2014 10:54 PM

Mar 2012
This was in my top 3 of most anticipated anime for this season and it hasn't disappointed, probably my favourite to air so far.

The animation was great. Very fluid and consistent. Pretty funny as well, the comedy wasn't flat and hopefully the recurring gags in the first episode aren't going to be always in the future episodes, hopefully new gags introduced regularly. The ending scene after the ending song was probably the funniest part of the episode.

I really like the characters and the atmosphere of the anime. I'm an avid Slice Of Life fan and in my personal opinion Barakamon will be the better Slice Of Life anime this season compared to Glasslip. I can see this being a very heartwarming anime, the first episode was.

The characters are all really likable and the interactions between them seem promising. I want a Naru. >.< (Naru does give me a Yotsuba kind of vibe while the anime itself has hints of Gin No Saji).

The opening and ending song were both great and suited the show.
Jul 5, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2012
Am I the only one thought OnoD's voice is so suited well for Seishuu?
When I'm reading the manga..
I instantly thought OnoD's voices xD

A bit different from manga.. Well, it's always nice to see this animated :)
Dat punch.. though xD

Grandpa, why you no stop the cars?? Only in manga xD

Naru!!! Awww, she's cuter in anime
Naru.. Naru everywhere xD

Nice countryside people are nice..
Lol scary.... xD

Btw, the ED.. Noisycell? Ryo??
Rayl1ghtJul 5, 2014 11:01 PM
"Signature removed"
Jul 5, 2014 10:57 PM

Dec 2012
This might become one of my favorite this season.

Naru's voice is cute.

The ED was great.

I can't wait to see him interact with other villagers. This will be probably a fun ride.
Jul 5, 2014 11:11 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
That was fun, adorable, and heartwarming. Everything what a slice of life should be. I love Naru's voice because the VA is undoubtedly a child as well! It just sounds so much more genuine and makes Naru even more lovable. She's a fun and honest character, I like how she went to apologize to Handa and when Handa also apologized, she told him he had nothing to apologize for. I wish my little brother was more like Naru ;_;

But yeah, near the end when everyone in the village came to help Handa out, my eyes filled with tears because it's one of those moments where the MC realizes that the world may not be as bad as he/she thinks. The very last scene though was hilarious, Handa did sound kind of like some weird psycho XD Go OnoD! I also really liked the ED song, and the animation reminded me a little of Ping Pong's ED.
Jul 5, 2014 11:20 PM

Jul 2013
downright adorable.

loled a lot @ the girl who wouldn't stop crying and the kancho.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jul 5, 2014 11:30 PM
Sep 2010
Reminds me of Usagi Drop.

Lighthearted and funny. Cant wait for more.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

153 by Term4738 »»
Apr 25, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

335 by Devonnius »»
Feb 21, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

147 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 10:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.