Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2014 6:52 PM

Jun 2013
1anime4you said:
The poor little Princess though :(

-"Now I'll never get to see her grow up to become a real hooker"

It either wasn't her, or we have another Shoko.
Jul 5, 2014 6:53 PM
Jun 2013
skudoops said:

tatuhey said:
good ep

there are 2 things that made me got "what?"

the kid's wish at the end
and
the US military shouldve been able to intervene b4 the castle landed

Not really, judging by the one screen the castles were taking an hour and half (at longest) to land, that's just not enough time.

probably, but the 1 that found the hypergate was the US anyway. thats pretty sad if they didnt get any "boost" on their military technology.

im not bashing the anome, but its just boggling my mind somehow
Jul 5, 2014 6:54 PM
Oct 2010
tatuhey said:
skudoops said:

Not really, judging by the one screen the castles were taking an hour and half (at longest) to land, that's just not enough time.

probably, but the 1 that found the hypergate was the US anyway. thats pretty sad if they didnt get any "boost" on their military technology.

We need to see what UE forces look like, trying to do a scramble in an hour is a tough job. It also seems the martians have the better military solely because 37 of their orbital guards are surrounding the earth, which implies the earth forces got owned in the first battle.
Jul 5, 2014 6:56 PM
Oct 2011
Such an extremely strong and well-presented ending to the first episode of the show. (I'm not talking about the explostion, but the scene right after that and before the ending credits)

I really hope this show will end up being actually good and not get derailed to shit.
Candor123Jul 5, 2014 6:59 PM
Jul 5, 2014 6:58 PM

Jan 2013
ex_necross said:
1anime4you said:
The poor little Princess though :(

-"Now I'll never get to see her grow up to become a real hooker"

It either wasn't her, or we have another Shoko.

ex_necross said: http://www.heroes3.cz/games/img/screenshots/5932.jpg
Jul 5, 2014 7:00 PM
Jun 2013
skudoops said:
tatuhey said:

We need to see what UE forces look like, trying to do a scramble in an hour is a tough job. It also seems the martians have the better military solely because 37 of their orbital guards are surrounding the earth, which implies the earth forces got owned in the first battle.

yea tru that. if we consider the present day, thatd be hard to do.
Jul 5, 2014 7:02 PM
Jun 2013
OH, I KNOW WHY THIS DOESNT HAPPEN IN SYDNEY

it doesnt exist anymore
Jul 5, 2014 7:06 PM

Oct 2007
ex_necross said:
DPXJube said:

Okay no they weren't actual space colonies or atleast not blatantly said.
But they were giant self sustaining living quarters floating in space and then dropped onto Earth.

Hell the shots even look the same

Yeah. It did give that vibe. Just kinda sick of people saying this ripped off Gundam. Literally every new mecha in the past 10 years could be said to have ripped off Gundam.

it really isn't possible to do a war themed mecha show anymore without borrowing liberally from Gundam. Its just such a genre defining show. The time window for that sort of thing kind of passed in the early 80s with shows like Victims and Diagram although just recently Knights of Sidonia managed to do it so maybe its just a matter of imagination
Jul 5, 2014 7:12 PM
Dec 2013
Amazing first episode, loved the intense atmosphere and OST. Great OST indeed. The main character seems bland and sadistic.

Loved the way they showed the missile explosion with the whole city in ashes in seconds.
Jul 5, 2014 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
I just clicked on this show cause the poster looked sort of neat, without knowing anything about it. I wasn't expecting much, but holy moly, the crap hit the fan by the first episode! I like the premise, and who I assume is the mc is interesting cause he seems uninterested in everything. "We should leave, there's a missile coming." Anyway, this was a really good pilot! :D
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 5, 2014 7:16 PM
Oct 2010
tatuhey said:

it doesnt exist anymore

Potential castle landings from 15 years prior?
Jul 5, 2014 7:18 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
ex_necross said:

Yeah. It did give that vibe. Just kinda sick of people saying this ripped off Gundam. Literally every new mecha in the past 10 years could be said to have ripped off Gundam.

it really isn't possible to do a war themed mecha show anymore without borrowing liberally from Gundam. Its just such a genre defining show. The time window for that sort of thing kind of passed in the early 80s with shows like Victims and Diagram although just recently Knights of Sidonia managed to do it so maybe its just a matter of imagination

You can draw so many connections because Gundam has just touched all the bases already. That being said, I didn't get Gundam vibes from this show. Like, at all. I did get other mecha series vibes, but not Gundam. This didn't feel Gundam-y.

I felt some Valvrave (the setting, overall mood), I felt some Break Blade ( I guess the princess did it?), and some other stuff.
ex_necrossJul 5, 2014 7:23 PM
Jul 5, 2014 7:23 PM

Jul 2013
I'm going to hold my judgement on this one. The premise is top notch for a sci-fi anime so far.

However, I really have to say that the CGI is pretty damn close to being below average. I expected a lot more to come out of the production studio with the CGI. They even have the nerve to occasionally cock tease some awesome hand drawn mechs.
mitch3315 said:
This might be a bit hard for you to believe, I know I didn't at first, but the thing is that other people actually have different opinions to your own. Crazy, right? How dare they not conform to your opinion on this show, or any other, who the hell do they think they are?
Jul 5, 2014 7:31 PM

Jan 2013
I'm sitting here by myself,.. thinking: some small girl living in the Vers Empire is probably out there, thinking http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/001/194/833/original_i-m-going-to-be-a-princess-notebook.jpg
Jul 5, 2014 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
This is looking to be hella promising. Already like the large cast and the set up of the world. It's giving me Muv-Luv vibes. OST is already god-tier; Sawano is doing another masterful soundtrack. Let's hope A-1 didn't blow their whole budget on this pilot ep because it was looking beautiful. Since it's Urobuchi, I actually have hope that this will be one of the greats.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 5, 2014 7:40 PM

Jan 2013
I noted at this earlier, but the DEV team and Sawano Hiroyuki (amongst others): are the creators of Animes such as Guilty Crown.

Although there is another recent Anime I don't think many know was made by the same team... namely: http://www.nospoiler.com/y/4DI3v95PKsE

Ever heard of it? XD
1anime4youJul 15, 2014 11:23 AM
Jul 5, 2014 7:48 PM
Jun 2013
skudoops said:
tatuhey said:

it doesnt exist anymore

Potential castle landings from 15 years prior?

it could be

Jun 2014
This is probably my favorite premiere. The OST was really good, I expect no less from Hiroyuki Sawano. To bad we can't listen to the full tracks till September. I wonder if Akame ga Kill or Zankyou no Terror can top this.

Jan 2013
A Tip; If you ever hear a song which is made up of a mixture of English, German and Japanese... You can be fairly certain of it having been composed by sawano hiroyuki

Sep 2012
Holy shit. What a intense first episode. Got mass effect vibes when watching it. Really looking forward to more. The main character seems like a badass. Just stands there saying "A missile" rather than panicking and running for his life.
Jul 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
[quote=FlamingMangos]Holy shit. What a intense first episode. Got mass effect vibes when watching it. Really looking forward to more.
Liar_Zero said:
This is probably my favorite premiere. The OST was really good, I expect no less from Hiroyuki Sawano. To bad we can't listen to the full tracks till September. I wonder if Akame ga Kill or Zankyou no Terror can top this.

Nothing can top this, mates... Nothing.
(statement of fact)
Jul 5, 2014 7:52 PM

Jun 2013
phantom19 said:
I actually have hope that this will be one of the greats.

Let's hope the score is full of trolls then. 7.7 isn't promising even with there only being 600 votes so far.
Jul 5, 2014 7:53 PM

Feb 2011
2000/10

And yes the CGI is not good for our eyes.
Jul 5, 2014 8:03 PM
Dec 2013
Noob question: What is CGI and why is it important and what not?
Jul 5, 2014 8:04 PM

Aug 2013
Oooh that was a great intro episode O___O

That probably wasn't the princess. Could be the assistant?

"Oh look we have aliens with superior technology orbiting above us. Let's blow up their princess!" Humans...*smh*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 5, 2014 8:05 PM
Feb 2014
Urobutcher sending a message at the end of the episode? Conspiracy unfolds!
Jul 5, 2014 8:05 PM

Apr 2011
Why does anyone bother with the strikethru's on their posts? It's not like we can't still see what you wrote ... either delete it or just type it, it's annoying.

I have a feeling the princess' assassination is a 'false flag' operation, the Martians wanted an excuse to break the cease-fire so they intentionally blew up their own princess to disrupt her mission of peace.

Kinda crazy how the unobservant main character is the ONLY person to notice the missiles streaking in, and then his friends just kinda stand there without changing expression until about a half-second before it blows. Then the princess bites it, damn. I was hoping that the MC would step in to save her somehow.

Poor New Orleans. First it gets flooded by Katrina, now it gets nuked by Martians. LOL @ everyone here comparing it to Independence Day. They're writing a sequel to that you know :P

Interested in seeing where it goes from here, but 12 episodes doesn't seem like enough to tell the kind of story they seem to be telling ...

Nice OST too.
Jul 5, 2014 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
impressive first episode ^^
Jul 5, 2014 8:20 PM

Jun 2013
ScazoN said:

CGI is the thing that everyone loves to bitch about. It stands for computer generated imagery, which almost all anime has made extensive use of since the 21st century.

The ironic thing is a lot of people who bitch about it don't realize that even the 2D parts of anime are completely CGI. For instance, this entire episode was completely CGI, same as every episode of, let's say, Death Note or Fate/Stay Night. If it's an anime made after 2000, you can pretty much safely assume it's completely CGI.

Now, what most of the whiners mean when they say CGI is known as 3DCG. This is 3D computer graphics, such as the mechs you saw firing off rounds training in this episode. Sidonia no Kishi is an example of an anime that uses 3DCG for all non-static imagery (models).
Jul 5, 2014 8:20 PM

Mar 2014
Oh hey, eggs are on sale!
i don't know everything, i only know what i know

also your waifu is shit
Jul 5, 2014 8:22 PM

Dec 2008
I've logged over 200 days worth of watching anime and this is the first time I've ever seen New Orleans in an anime, and then it gets decimated lol. Usually its just LA or NYC that basically represent US cities.
Jul 5, 2014 8:26 PM

Oct 2012
im not really into the war/mecha genre, but ill stick around and try watching this series
wow that OST at the end with the explosion was intense
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 5, 2014 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You can draw so many connections because Gundam has just touched all the bases already. That being said, I didn't get Gundam vibes from this show. Like, at all. I did get other mecha series vibes, but not Gundam. This didn't feel Gundam-y.

I felt some Valvrave (the setting, overall mood), I felt some Break Blade ( I guess the princess did it?), and some other stuff.
yeah I didn't get Gundam vibes either, but some of it did remind me of Layzner, but I can see how people can draw connections to Gundam.
Jul 5, 2014 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
Finally. I've been waiting for a war themed anime. Actually, Aldnoah.Zero is on the top of my waiting list even though a lot see this as not worthy to be hyped about cause it's Aniplex (I don't know why tho, care to explain?).

But still, I'm gonna stick and find out if claims are true.
Jul 5, 2014 8:47 PM

Jan 2014
Exposition... I feel as though ten episodes worth of content happened.

I liked Ihano. "A missile's coming at us... I wonder if I left the stove on."
Jul 5, 2014 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
Okay I haven't watched a single episode of Gundam ever before but yea I am getting seriously Gundam vibes from this story about this mecha story about space colony humans vs. native humans who stayed on earth. Regardless it is an interesting enough plot thus far.

The dialogue is rather awkwardly written. Characters just seem to spout lengthy exposition about the history of the world and its characters that doesn't sound like natural conversation.

CG on the mechas honestly doesn't look too good to me but so far the action scenes are quite exciting and well executed. That bomb at the end destroying the city was beautiful.

Best aspect so far imo by far is Hiroyuki Sawano's soundtrack which is epicly fantastic as usual.

3/5
Jul 5, 2014 9:04 PM
Dec 2013
ex_necross said:
ScazoN said:

CGI is the thing that everyone loves to bitch about. It stands for computer generated imagery, which almost all anime has made extensive use of since the 21st century.

The ironic thing is a lot of people who bitch about it don't realize that even the 2D parts of anime are completely CGI. For instance, this entire episode was completely CGI, same as every episode of, let's say, Death Note or Fate/Stay Night. If it's an anime made after 2000, you can pretty much safely assume it's completely CGI.

Now, what most of the whiners mean when they say CGI is known as 3DCG. This is 3D computer graphics, such as the mechs you saw firing off rounds training in this episode. Sidonia no Kishi is an example of an anime that uses 3DCG for all non-static imagery (models).
Oh i see haha, thanks!
Jul 5, 2014 9:11 PM

Mar 2013
Poor New Orleans. They get enough shit from the Earth itself, let alone Mars.
Jul 5, 2014 9:12 PM

Jun 2013
straggy said:
Poor New Orleans. They get enough shit from the Earth itself, let alone Mars.

It's all the voodoo and shit they do down there.
Jul 5, 2014 9:12 PM

Jan 2013
Person #1: Somebody, call an ambulance!
Person #2: Is this her?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-foaRjsSA3RQ/Ta7sN2wVWjI/AAAAAAAAACQ/bfs6InnXqo4/s1600/036.JPG
Person #1: Yeah that's her!
Jul 5, 2014 9:13 PM

Dec 2013
That ost when the bomb dropped... As expected of Hiroyuki Sawano!

So far so good. Looking forward to more.

"Eggs are on sale" - We sure have an interesting protagonist!
KeiSooJul 5, 2014 9:19 PM
Jul 5, 2014 9:16 PM

Mar 2014
is a mix thing this first episode, by the fact that they created a empire in a era where
the big countries like USA and Russia exist and let them keep all those marcian techn
is beyond of my understanding (is not like play the age of empire LOL).

but the last part of the episode is what really like, the anticipated war declaration
between the 2 planets and MECHAS!! <---- the best hype thing of the episode!!!
Jul 5, 2014 9:17 PM

Jan 2013
[/quote]
KeiSoo said:
That ost when the bomb dropped... As expected of Hiroyuki Sawano!

So far so good. Looking forward to more.

Yeah, I was like... -"This shit can't be none other than mah manh Sawano Hiroyuki."
Jul 5, 2014 9:20 PM
Dec 2013
Here are my big questions leaving this episode:

1) How is that kid who said "the missiles are coming" going to wind up piloting one of the robots we saw at the end of the episode?
2) Is the princess still alive?
Jul 5, 2014 9:22 PM

Apr 2014
Hahaha. I see everyone else realized who made the OST the second we all heard it. I was like "YES!, you know it's going to ATLEAST have a great OST!"

I don't really watch too much mecha. I don't know why, I'm not really interested in it, and it just kind of makes me look the other way, but I decided to give Aldnoah a shot cause it was Saturday and I had nothing to really watch that was airing.

Well, so far so good. I liked it, but it IS A1-Pictures, so I'll hold my enthusiasm until the final episode. Hopefully they don't B-line it like their recent anime, Nanana.
Nop.
Jul 5, 2014 9:23 PM

Oct 2008
Typically poor first episode. 90% exposition, and bad exposition at that. What's worse is that hideous Engrish song that plays as New Orleans gets bombed. Hiroyuki Sawano is already old hat. His music hasn't evolved at all since he started out.

At least the male protagonist (I assume) doesn't look like some wimpy pushover. His indifference to the missiles was the only really exciting thing about this.
Jul 5, 2014 9:25 PM

Jun 2013
I'm calling it now: that was definitely an inside job by the Martians to kill Princess Asseylum in order to jump start the conflict for the Knights.

Whether she's dead or not, I'm leaning towards not, but I'm nowhere close to 100% sure on that one.

And that atomic-bomb-like wrecking of New Orleans certainly had a bit of a "payback" vibe to it...

Unfortunately, I have to agree that Sawano's OSTs are starting to run into each other, which is sad because I'm in love with his style, but when you hear the same thing over and over... and yet I still find it to be very effective for a show like this.
-Trippwire-Jul 5, 2014 9:31 PM
Jul 5, 2014 9:26 PM

Oct 2011
Kalafina as the OP........ wow. But couldn't help to think of Gundam while watching that first episode.
Jul 5, 2014 9:27 PM

Aug 2013
Well that was fucking intense.

I find it hilarious how absolutely trounced earth got by the martians. Like we are literally nothing to them. They even call earthlings terrans which basically seems like their N word for earthlings. That lieutenant drinking at the bar really put into perspective how fucked the earth is.

Already the terrorists attacked the princess. Being urobutcher I wouldn't be surprised if she died, but it seems like the whole event was too vague and obscured. You never once see her face, or if she's wearing the pendant.

Already don't like this MC at all. Seems on par with Akashi from M3.

Sawano OST amazing as always.

This is only going to be 12 episodes? Hard to imagine them fitting all this epicness into a small window.

I liked this first episode and hopefully it doesn't disappoint. The show has a lot of potential to be amazing, but it's also setting itself up to fail. With Aniplex bragging and bragging about who they hired for directing, and who they cast for seiyuus and who came up with the concept, they're setting the bar tremendously high. They'll only have themselves to blame if they fuck up and drag the show downhill.
Jul 5, 2014 9:34 PM

Jun 2013
Jonesy974 said:

This is only going to be 12 episodes? Hard to imagine them fitting all this epicness into a small window.

Split cour, 24 episodes. And with how they talked about Aldnoah.Zero before it aired, it sounds like they intend to make a franchise out of this. In any case, they have high hopes for this and are obviously putting a long of money towards it. The production values are insane.
Pages (13) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.