Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 22, 2014 10:48 PM

Oct 2011
Intense past
Jul 22, 2014 10:59 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty good OVA, I hope the movie is better.
Jul 23, 2014 1:13 AM

May 2013
Now I know how Hiroomi got his scar at his back. And good backstory between the three.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 24, 2014 4:29 PM

May 2014
I really wished the main series didn't have Mirai Kuriyama and a less cheesy main villain. The relationship between Akihito and the Nase siblings is much more interesting imo.
Jul 27, 2014 4:04 PM

Jul 2009
Wow! Izumi is amazing, I love it when she fights!
And we were able to see Kuriyama after the ending! I really wish they could make a 2nd season!
Jul 30, 2014 11:57 AM
Aug 2013
is it bad that I actually found this OVA enjoyable solely because Mirai wasn't there, i would prefer Hiroomi as main character any dayy
watching anime was only meant to be hobby... I says whilst I neglect my studies and post on forums
Jul 30, 2014 8:12 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, if they could have made the series as good as this OVA. If only if the series was as polished and serious...If only. :/

fanfanfanatic said:
is it bad that I actually found this OVA enjoyable solely because Mirai wasn't there, i would prefer Hiroomi as main character any dayy

#truth
Aug 2, 2014 5:03 AM

Dec 2011
I think a lot of people would be more hooked if this was the real first episode of the TV series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
Fiji said:
I think a lot of people would be more hooked if this was the real first episode of the TV series.

I don't think it should be the first episode because it spoils a lot of the "mystery" in the series.
Aug 12, 2014 6:57 AM

Nov 2010
Greatly executed prequel with some heavy packed action as well starting from the Nase clan
Akihito is so sad with his immortal ability

A glimpse of Mirai in the end of nice
I hope the upcoming movie has compleet new content and outlook to a second season
Oct 8, 2014 11:29 AM

Sep 2012
So that's how it all started. That ripples, so cool.
I miss this show T^T Mirai, Akithito, Hiroomi, Mitsuki, The Op & Ed, everything.
Izumi is still hot x)
Oct 9, 2014 12:20 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Lyfa said:
Strange how I love this OVA and didn't rlly love the anime xD

Same same. Was good to finally see how the whole thing began, as well as everyone's first encounter. Also, that ED really has a nostalgic feel to it. Haven't listened to it since my iTunes wiped everything out ._. Must listen to it on replay now.
Oct 21, 2014 8:13 PM

Feb 2012
I wish they aired this first or something. Things make much more sense now.

As expected, KyoAni's quality is top notch!
Dec 2, 2014 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
Although I didn't like the series, this was an enjoyable OVA. Makes me look forward for the movie now ^^
Jan 6, 2015 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
Wow this was awesome, I seriously can't wait for the movies now. Akihito as a demon is so badass!
Jan 7, 2015 1:42 AM

Feb 2013
Kinda funny to have Mirai in the OP and ED when she's in it for like 30 seconds. Also the person who gave Mitsuki the pill with blood in it was Akihito's mom. I don't know if they showed it in the TV series but the person who was hurt was Hiroomi when Akihito looks at his hands with blood on it. This was a really good prequel OVA.
Mar 4, 2015 1:32 AM

Aug 2010
The OVA reminded me of how much I missed/liked the series in the first place. This is nicely done as expected of KyoAni, explained somethings that were in the series. Looking forward to the conclusion of this wonderful anime.
May 3, 2015 11:49 AM

May 2012
Quite packed prequel ova of the series, this is pretty cool but it's one of those you better watch after watching the main series. Either way it was pretty good!
Aug 14, 2015 5:20 AM

Aug 2014
Izumi keeps being amazing.

the glimpse into the past was good. makes you understand the characters more. akkey is still my fav. the animation is great as well. (akkey's transformation is always a++)
Mar 16, 2016 1:05 AM

Apr 2015
Better than the series itself imo.

DGemu said:
Yep. Hiroomi should have been the main protagonist.
Agreed.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 22, 2016 3:13 AM

Jan 2014
IMSadBiscuit said:
Better than the series itself imo.

I thought it was very different in tone; much darker. Yes the series itself had that Black World finale, but it was all contained, it was all about the characters we allready knew, and we knew weren't really bad guys. Shinonome hit it off with a downright scary youmu, Akihito's other self is actually a surprise for the other characters, and he's much less passive.

Alltogether I think it was a really good prequel, but one that should definitely be watched after the main series. It showed us a whole other side of Mitsuki and her relationship with both Hiro'omi and Akihito, and it made Izumi's motives much clearer. She seems much less like a villain, and much more forced to take action the way she would.

dekopinn said:
7/10

I liked it better than the actual anime lol.

I don't hate Mirai but it was more enjoyable without her.

Yep, I've always had the feeling that Mirai kinda intruded upon the Hiro'omi-Mitsuki-Akihito relationship, and in particular stole the limelight from best girl Mitsuki. Shinonome only reïnforces this feeling.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 15, 2016 6:03 AM

Mar 2015
Thats how Hiroomi got a scar huh?

4/5
Apr 22, 2016 4:37 AM
Aug 2013
So that is how they met..

This is one of the few series i never skip the OP/ED.
Apr 30, 2016 11:08 AM

Apr 2013
Uhm... Guys, I'm a bit confused after watching this "prequel".

To conclude, I think this special's plot was either created by someone who didn't even watch the whole series, or they took the original plot from the source material and forgot to account for the changes they had made in the picturization (TV).
Jun 8, 2016 11:37 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
~_~ Episode was pretty nice, even though I didn't like the series.
Aug 4, 2016 2:38 PM

Nov 2015

It was good but still weird. Let's see:
  • I still don't know what's the deal with Miroku with Izumi and the Beyond the Boundary youma inside Akihito
  • I still have no idea what happened with Akihito's parents. His mother made a 2 seconds appearance in this OVA but... nothing major, if something it would be very minor.
  • Mitsuki understood very quickly what to do with that pill... HOW?
  • Shizuyu and Ayaka appeared from nowhere...
  • Izumi is still pretty hot.
  • Apparently Izumi and Miroku knew each other, but they talk like nothing of this happened in the main series... wth?

The only things I learned here is what was Akihito doing 3 years ago (apparently), how Hiromi got the scar and... not much really...
Still was a good OVA but it's pointless for a prequel.

SuperSoldier said:
Uhm... Guys, I'm a bit confused after watching this "prequel".

To conclude, I think this special's plot was either created by someone who didn't even watch the whole series, or they took the original plot from the source material and forgot to account for the changes they had made in the picturization (TV).

Exactly, then it wasn't just me that spotted those inconsistencies.
I tried to assume it had to make sense since this is part of a Light Novel but... is this really that messed up? I mean, there are quite a few inconsistencies.
HumbertoZeroAug 4, 2016 2:47 PM
Oct 31, 2016 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
Great special right there.
Lotta cool action and connecting the present to the past, I loved it.
Hope the two movies are equally awesome *.*
Jul 7, 2017 11:03 PM

May 2013
hiroomi with white hair <33
nice eps :3
made by bunnyama
Sep 9, 2017 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode.
It was cool seeing how everything came to be in the main series.
Especially how Hiroomi got his scar and how their weird albeit funny relationship came to be.
Sep 26, 2017 8:09 AM

Oct 2015
someone suggested I watch the series first than this special and I am glad to say he was right because that would have spoiled the series for me. It was a fine special and Akihito showing his Yomu side was epic and Mirai being shown in the end made me miss the series.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 15, 2019 8:39 PM

Jun 2015
a hell of a first meeting
this special makes me miss the anime, the opening and ending are so nostalgic for me
Jul 2, 2020 9:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A lovely momentary between Hiroomi and Mitsuki in background. Surely, Mitsuki's 'onii-chan' cute sounds really adorable, and her shyness for not acknowledged it making her habit looks even cute af. Oh, well!

Thats all the puzzles behind the fateful meeting of Mirai and Aki. Its because that shit megane man, actually. Fuck him up and his half youmu power of craziness. Still, Izumi over thinking, and her scary perception over Aki's hidden power of KnK really bad. She absolutely never had my emphacy after watching this, really.

I aggreed with some plot hole and inconsistency on this little episode. Such a shame. I even put a 3, after realizing that shit. So lets take some justice at my scores here:
3 for the story wise decision, the art at a 10 level of the same main story styles, a sounds looks in the same parts, so its in a 10 too, characterization in 10 scores too no complaint, the enjoyment was a bit decreasing with a nonsense plot holes, so its in a 7. In the end, my judgement is in the 8/10. Lmao. So thats it, then. Hopefully its a good decision. But, whatever. Lets see the other two movies, then!

Editted commentary :

The story sections got an increasing state of judgement after watching the first movie of the KnK. The decision to stay true to this specials make me wonder, the story board was not wrong at all.

I keep alerting someone while reading this:
Watch this first, then, the movie KnK i'll be here part 1, watch the TV series if you want some detail (please ignored some holes there that may actually bugged your mind. Especially with the Sakura's problem of revenged arc. Its was unnecessary and out of order. Because, yeah, like my comment on the first movie, i take the reason as the another story telling that may lead some distorted plot. Maybe its take as a whole dissapointment for some criticus. But to me, it was okay. So thats my only reminder.)
After that, ofc the movie part 2 as a finale. Thats for now, as the chronological order to watching this great serialization.

I changed my scores again while i am remembering to changed something and had a time. So, its a 9/10 for this prequel episode. A great was an absolute word to describe this episode too. So, why not? Thats my biassed commentary afterall.
badabassJul 2, 2020 6:42 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 13, 2020 8:20 PM

Jan 2020
this was actually a great episode <3
i felt so bad every time aki mentioned that he wanted to die TT

great episode 8/10 (★ ω ★)
3099Dec 13, 2020 8:55 PM
Sep 30, 2021 8:42 AM

Jul 2013
This OVA builds more and better the main cast than the actual TV series lol
This is how we do.

Sep 30, 2021 1:42 PM

Nov 2013
Funny, I liked this ova more than the original series!
Jun 14, 2022 6:53 PM
Nov 2020
Here's the story begins . Thankfully someone said to watch this ep before watching ep 1 . Mitsuki is cute haha . Akihito badasss
Apr 23, 7:00 AM
Mar 2021
Great episode with Akihito andHiroomi bonding
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Question about the Kyoukai no Kanata Special

Gunism - Jul 19, 2015

5 by Yaggamy »»
Nov 15, 2021 2:33 AM

» Question

bloodiemonster - Jul 21, 2014

2 by bloodiemonster »»
Jul 21, 2014 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.