Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2009 1:27 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so how future trunks lived with the threat of the androids, it was interesting seeing gohan fighting with only one arm. I'm surprise he didn't think of using intense training either
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 18, 2010 1:40 AM
May 2010
where can i see it? theres no player or whatever..
Feb 5, 2011 9:03 PM

May 2009
+1 for having Dream Theater in the soundtrack.
Mar 21, 2011 1:29 PM

Aug 2010
karlosloot said:
where can i see it? theres no player or whatever..

Dude, it's on VHS, DVD, and even Blu-Ray.

I enoyed this TV special. Those androids REALLY shobed Trunks around to the point where he was hiding from them. Those androids reminded me of Buu in how they had fun while killing people. Gohan is still a good fighter even with just one arm.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 3, 2011 10:02 AM

Feb 2009
One of the best Dragon Ball movies story-wise.

Future Gohan is badass, he had it rough.
Apr 10, 2011 11:16 PM

Mar 2011
Nice TV special, they didn't explain where Trunks got the sword in this time line he just appeared with it. Gohan's death scene was intense.
Apr 5, 2012 10:02 AM

Nov 2011
Best special/movie of the entire dbz series
Nov 3, 2012 11:22 AM

Apr 2011
I love it!! OMG!! TRUNKS!!

Now I know what kind of future does another trunks raised in....Those androids are so harsh!

P.S. The ending credits are so awesome! Love it!

Jul 27, 2013 1:36 PM

Dec 2012
I always wondered. Trunks got his sword from 13th movie so after bubu but it was back then when Goku and Vegeta lived so how come Future Trunks got his sword even if Goku got a disease and others were killed by Androids.
Nov 26, 2013 1:38 PM

May 2012
Really nice to see the other timeline of Trunks! Pretty sweet and straight forwards, lets see what the OVA's has to offer!
Jan 12, 2014 6:57 AM

Jun 2009
That was interesting. Trunks sure got his ass handed to him, though.
Mar 3, 2014 2:05 PM

Jan 2013
Most interesting special so far.. I could almost say it was better than the first special of DBZ, I could say it is!
I enjoyed it all the way 10/10.
Apr 15, 2014 9:42 PM

Dec 2013
That was a really interesting special. Those damn androids were evil. They had it coming to them when they got absorbed by Cell in the past world.
Aug 10, 2014 2:52 AM

Oct 2013
this one was pretty cool
idk but for some reason I though he beat the androids
been a wile since i saw the series itself
good though 7/10 for me
[/quote]
Sep 11, 2014 8:40 AM

Oct 2009
Why not share senzu bean halvsies?
Why does he become normal Trunks in the middle of the final fight, and then Super Saiyan again?

keroroslayer said:
I always wondered. Trunks got his sword from 13th movie so after bubu but it was back then when Goku and Vegeta lived so how come Future Trunks got his sword even if Goku got a disease and others were killed by Androids.

I haven't watched 13th movie yet but you must realise that those are alternative timelines, i.e. what happens in one doesn't change what happens in other
SerhiykoSep 24, 2015 3:37 AM
Apr 29, 2015 2:54 AM

Mar 2013
Serhiyko said:
Why not share senzu bean halvsies?
Why does he become normal Trunks in the middle of the final fight, and then Super Saiyan again?

The reason we see Trunks switch on and off numerous times from SSJ to normal is that he has been damaged and weakened and it's even harder than normal for him to maintain SSJ form. It also conserves energy to power down when he is not fighting but rather trying to hide and run away since confronting them at that point was not going well at all. It is possible that it's an animation mistake, but considering it was for numerous scenes, it's hard to believe that there would be an error of that caliber constantly repeated and not having gotten noticed. Much more logical is that he was rotating from powering up to SSJ and then switching it off when not needed. We just don't see the process since that is unnecessary.

Another possible animation mistake that can be explained away is when Android 18 is shopping and posing with different outfits. In one of the scenes her eyes are RED, so strictly speaking that would be an error. However Imo it's symbolic of her evil and demonic self in this timeline, as opposed to in the main series where she also is trying on dresses but is nowhere near as evil.

Lastly regarding the senzu beans- While it's true that we have seen split sensu in the past, the size must have an effect on the healing power/amount. If not than why wouldn't ALL senzu beans be split into half parts or even smaller fractions to "increase" the total of senzu heals? Clearly there must be a correlation between mass and the heal effect. In this case if Gohan tried to split it it's possible that would not have been enough for Trunks to recover. Also a half or even a full senzu wouldn't have helped Gohan regain his arm and the permanent power level decrease and fighting efficiency downgrade that he would suffer from it, since Senzu can't regrow limbs. Sure it would have got him out of danger and healed him back to as much as possible, but as we saw a natural recovery was possible. Compound that with this being True Gohan who prioritizes others more than himself, and ultimately trusts the Future to Trunks, so it makes sense why he would give him the whole senzu.

Sure in a perfect world (or if this was the dbz main series timeline where things ultimately work out ideally for the protagonists) the senzu would be split, and it would even fully heal gohan back to full including his lost arm, and with a Zenkai to boot due to being near death. If that happened it's fair to assume that Gohan may have won the next decisive battle as opposed to dying due to being armless and desperately needing the extra power he lost due to having to defend Trunks in the previous struggle and sacrificing his body.

Whats unique about this Special and timeline is that things don't work out and aren't magically solved, and it's all just despair and harsh reality. Ultimately this makes History of Trunks likely the best out of all the specials/movies/ova, and it's at a similar Power Level to the main series, namely one of the greatest anime ever.

Lastly I and many other Loyal DB/DBZ Fans consider this to be True Gohan, not the pathetic failure he becomes in DBZ post Namek (or according to some post Cell, although he did fail royally against Cell causing the death of Goku). Unfortunately there is nearly no chance that our timeline Gohan will ever reach anywhere near these heights, even with the new Dragon Ball Super coming out to advance the plot past Buu and lay the abomination GT filler to rest (including the even more pathetic than ever Gohan showcased there).
SlickDAug 15, 2016 9:39 AM
Aug 11, 2015 1:21 PM

Apr 2014
keroroslayer said:
I have the same query too.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Jan 20, 2016 9:32 AM

Aug 2012
My second fav movie after Broly the legendary super saiyan one (Movie 8)...

Just because I love Trunks and he gets so much (comparatively to DBZ in general :p) character development here.

I also love Android 17 & 18 (especially 17) so it was nice seeing more of them, in their future evil versions...

And I just love time travel stuff in general, so it was nice seeing this movie to tie up loose ends with the anime.

Also, this is one of (if not the only one?) CANON MOVIE since it's based on a side story in the manga :) (Trunk's Story) somewhere around the Cell era.

Jan 20, 2016 9:33 AM

Aug 2012
vasilis0602 said:
keroroslayer said:
I have the same query too.

It's been confirmed forever that the SWORD TRUNKS GOT IN TAPION/HILDEGARN MOVIE IS NOT HIS FUTURE TRUNKS ONE !

Can't be arsed to find all the clues and proofs atm, but there was one website with all the claims and debunks somewhere, hopefully it's still up.

Feb 27, 2016 8:10 PM

Dec 2014
Best OVAs .... good to see the different side of the story
Feb 27, 2016 8:11 PM

Dec 2014
Best OVAs .... good to see the different side of the story
Aug 12, 2016 6:31 PM

Sep 2013
A lot of what happened in this special could be pretty much inferred from what was explained to us during the android saga...but it was still really cool to actually see what happened in Trunks' future!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 9, 2016 5:41 PM

May 2015
I saw this special long ago and I think this is only DB (not main series) that i gave 10/10. Death of Gohan was really touching, not to mention Trunks transformation. Too bad that main timeline Gohan and Trunks turned out as big failure.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 9, 2018 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
wasn't there a mal page on the dragon ball super future trunks special. I could've sworn i saw a page of it.

coming soon
May 9, 2019 1:36 AM
Jan 2019
kage-bunshin said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
so how future trunks lived with the threat of the androids, it was interesting seeing gohan fighting with only one arm. I'm surprise he didn't think of using intense training either
if gohan had taken more time in training....the entire humanity can be wiped out
Mar 22, 2020 7:13 PM

Nov 2016
Watched this special so many times as a child and till this day it has to be my favorite among the Dragon Ball Z movies. The tone and bleakness of the story are seriously depressing which is a nice contrast to the majority of the franchise. Only thing that could've been better was Z fighter vs cyborgs or rather the lack of it. Would've loved to see at least a few minutes of a horrifying battle.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2020 7:31 AM

Jan 2015
Damn that was so depressing. I reccommend it to everyone watching it after episode 117 of Z.
Aug 31, 2020 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
This was both tragic and bittersweet to watch, seeing Gohan all grown up, having the looks, the gentle nature, and power that Goku was renowned for felt sad and sorrowful. He even wore his father's style of clothes, making his resemblance to his father all the higher. I was honestly impressed with how Gohan managed to stay his ground, even gaining the upper hand on several occasions, when he fought the two merciless Androids with just one hand. Gohan's alikeness to Goku was just beautiful.

It is a shock to see how villainous Android 17 and 18 are compared to the current timeline. While they do retain a few of their distinguishable characteristics, such as 17's childish desire for fun and 18's fiery focus regarding her looks, they are extremely wicked, highly contrasting their current, currently absorbed within Cell, counterparts. It seems like Cell and Trunks' actions from various timelines truly did make a difference in more ways than one.

What a great, tragic special, I was engrossed with Trunks' story from the beginning to the end. It was riveting.
Mar 10, 2022 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
This was a great special. Despite it being old, the animation for the fight scenes was excellent. It also gave me a different perspective on how frightening Androids 17 and 18 can be when they let loose and wreak havoc for fun. The Androids 17 and 18 of the Past only caused harm if people got in their way.
Feb 16, 2023 3:49 PM
dieggstahondaweb

Apr 2022
this is unironically this my favourite thing about dbz i think
" nya... baka..... is this.... what life truly.... is about.... nysa.......... " - Your name
Oct 11, 2023 9:21 AM

Nov 2012
absolutely peak dbz
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 20, 2023 6:35 AM
Nov 2023
very good my chirrenhood
in ly sứ, in ly su, in cốc sứ, ly sứ in logo, in hình trên ly, in ly sứ giá rẻ, in hình lên ly sứ, ly sứ quà tặng, in ly sứ tphcm, ly sứ in hình, in logo lên ly sứ, in ly sứ tại chỗ, , in ly sứ theo yêu cầu, in ly sứ lấy liền , in chữ lên ly sứ, in ảnh lên cốc, cốc sứ in tên, xưởng in ly sứ, in cốc sứ lấy ngay, cốc sứ đổi màu, ly sứ in logo giá rẻ, đặt làm ly sứ in hình, in hình lên cốc sứ, đặt cốc sứ in logo, in logo lên cốc, cốc in logo, ly sứ đổi màu, sản xuất ly sứ in logo, in ly sứ cao cấp, ly sứ in hình theo yêu cầu, in hình trên ly sứ, in logo ly sứ, in trên ly sứ
In Ly Giá Rẻ Đẹp Tp.HCM
Quà Tặng In Hình Trên Mọi Chất Liệu
Xưởng In Hình Logo Lên Ly Sứ Đẹp Giá Rẻ TP.HCM
In Cốc Sứ Cao Cấp Theo Yêu Cầu
USB SÁCH NÓI - SÁCH NÓI MP3 - 160 Sách Nói Kinh Doanh Làm Giàu Hay Nhất Mọi Thời Đại
Dec 14, 2023 2:49 PM

Apr 2021
I liked it, it's good to know what future Trunks' life was like. Lots of chaos, lots of deaths, and a terrible future.

More topics from this board

» Look up trunks

jyagan0 - Mar 27, 2015

3 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 9:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.