Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2009 12:41 PM

Dec 2008
Wuntvor said:
poljaff said:
I like mystery, military, sci-fi and mecha animes, stuff that I don't usually find in the real world. Not a big fan for drama, although my favorite characters are female officers with a bit of a drama in their lives - those who are tough on the outside with a touch of a soft side, the tragic past/future is a must!

You like military Sci-Fi with female characters? Ever read anything by Elizabeth Moon? If not, look into it, especially the Familias Regnant universe line of books.
Or try David Weber's Honor Harrington series which is also very good (IMO).
Nov 29, 2009 5:16 AM

Nov 2008
Ok ... I forgot to introduce myself. I know i'm lazy ^^

My name is Bartholomew. I'm 36 years old. I live in Warsaw (Poland). Actually i'm unemployed and i have time to watch to much anime. What's more ? I like books (sf&f) and asian cimenatography (Kurosawa, Kitano, Wong Kar Wai and others). Hmmm ... and my english is still no good :)

Nov 29, 2009 5:22 AM

Mar 2009
otonashi_ said:

My name is Bartholomew. I'm 36 years old. I live in Warsaw (Poland). Actually i'm unemployed and i have time to watch to much anime. What's more ? I like books (sf&f) and asian cimenatography (Kurosawa, Kitano, Wong Kar Wai and others). Hmmm ... and my english is still no good :)

Oh another person I keep on bumping into along the corridors of MAL - welcome to the club and hey your English is fine - I am half way through Hidden Fortress - if you have not seen it I totally recommend

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Nov 29, 2009 5:50 AM

Aug 2006
You're english is fine, otonashi. At least you (unlike some people *cough*slender*cough*) know how to use punctuation! Heh!

Welcome to the madness. ^_^
ChelleNov 29, 2009 6:47 AM
Nov 29, 2009 6:18 AM

Oct 2009
Doh, I didn't notice this thread but since Chelle included it in the newsletter, here's a a quick and lazy intro.

I'm male, became 34 years old only recently, I live in Europe in the southeastern area. I'm employed in a company which owns a store chain all over the country, we sell mostly computers and the relevant stuff.

Except from anime themselves, I really enjoy scifi TV series and movies. Reading is something I used to do, but not anymore, except from some rare occasions. Lack of time...

Regarding music, I listen to a variety of genres, anime OSTs included ofcourse, but my preference is towards Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

That's it!
Nov 30, 2009 1:31 AM

Nov 2008
slenderfall said:
otonashi_ said:

Oh another person I keep on bumping into along the corridors of MAL - welcome to the club and hey your English is fine - I am half way through Hidden Fortress - if you have not seen it I totally recommend

Hidden Fortress is on my plan to watch list. I want to watch all Kurosawa movies ^^

Chelle said:
You're english is fine, otonashi. At least you (unlike some people *cough*slender*cough*) know how to use punctuation! Heh!

Welcome to the madness. ^_^

~Ara, ara~

My english is fine ? Thanks. I say You one thing ... I never learned english in school. Only myself ^^

Nov 30, 2009 4:47 PM

Jan 2007
The name is John, I live in Houston, Texas. I'll be 30 on Feb. 16th 2010.

Aside from the stuff I watched on TV as a kid, the first anime that I watched that I knew was anime was Ranma 1/2. I had a few Chinese friends in middle school back in the early 90's that got me into it. Ranma, Macross plus, Gunbuster (Hell yea!),Ah! My Goddess, 801 T.T.S. Airbats, Macross II, Evangelion, etc... they opened a world of wonder to me.

Enter the internet. Found a nice little channel on Undernet called #Anime. Had some good times there. I went by a few names. Nagisa, Habiki, maybe another one... Can't remember, too damned long ago.

Then came the Fansubs and the influx of anime that I wanted to watch. But, as life goes, the amount of stuff I want to watch is inversely proportional to the time I had.

I do have a habit of passing up an anime due to the first glance at the 'movie poster', which, time and time again I've smacked myself in the face for putting a series off so long (I.E. Code Geass. What the HELL where you thinking?!)

Anyway, I'm a fairly humorous guy that loves guns and military aircraft. Oh, and beer. I love my beer =P

... I don't want to know how much cash I blew on Ranma stuff back in the day... x.X
"...Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms. No, not me, not when death lasts forever."

Nov 30, 2009 6:12 PM

Sep 2009
Arixx said:
... I don't want to know how much cash I blew on Ranma stuff back in the day... x.X
Ha! ... I don't want to know how much cash I STILL blow on Ranma stuff to this very day ;-D

Welcome to the club Arixx :-)
Nov 30, 2009 6:15 PM

Aug 2006
Yes, Welcome Arixx. **gives a big hug** It's gonna take some time for me to get used to seeing your mug around all us old folk. :P
Nov 30, 2009 6:31 PM

Jan 2007
Chelle said:
Yes, Welcome Arixx. **gives a big hug** It's gonna take some time for me to get used to seeing your mug around all us old folk. :P

Hey! I have aches! I have pains! My friggin shoulder won't stop hurting. I've crossed the threshold, damnit! The amber hue of the golden age beckons me.

Oh, shit, that was the beer I had on the table =P
"...Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms. No, not me, not when death lasts forever."

Dec 6, 2009 9:17 AM
Nov 2009
Hi all

So there is life after 30.

If you want you can find out all about me by having a look at my profile page but here is a bit of general chat of why I’m into Manga and Anime.

I had to do some research into Manga and Anime just over a year ago and discovered I liked it! I started off with the easy fighting ones like Naruto and Bleach then moved on the darker ones like Elfen Lied (is that really only a 15 cert!) Gilgmesh, (still only a 15 cert!) Blood and Gantz and I was surprised at how dark you can get Anime films and also surprised that some people still call them cartoons! They are defiantly not cartoons.

So that’s how I got involved

bye
Dec 19, 2009 2:20 AM

Dec 2008
chocolatemanga said:
Hi all

So there is life after 30.

Oh yes there is! I've been saying that for the last 20 years! HA! Welcome aboard!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Dec 22, 2009 6:21 PM

Dec 2009
Hajimemashite! I'm Drew a recently turned 40 year old (horrible number). I've been watching Anime for a very long time now. In fact I can recall back to my youth watching Starblazers and Ultraman imports (wow that's awhile ago. I'm gonna depress myself).My interest for manga never developed sadly. That could always change if I found the right story but it has yet to appear.

I started collecting Anime in graduate school when I was in Texas, which is where I met my wife. Sadly (or not) she doesn't share my Anime fascination. When it comes to the other continent I am content for all things Eastern while she is a die hard Paris-ian wannabe. We compliment each other and her ability to speak French came in handy during our honeymoon in France. I am hoping to go back to college this next fall to take Japanese lang and lit classes. My reward for that will be trip to Japan and to Akhaibara, Whooot!

I currently work form home, writing software (Which is not what I received my doctorate in, go figure) and spending all my time online, chatting or IMing people. Hopefully we can spend some time together and talk, that would be cool.
Dec 22, 2009 6:25 PM

Aug 2006
Great to have you, Drew!! I see Clannad and Kimi ni Todoke and Kanon (2006) on your plan to watch list! GREAT series, all!! And you have Toradora! as your signature. You're just earning more and more points with me!! I'm thrilled to have you!!! ^_^ (And if you can help me keep slender and Archaeon in line... all the better ^_^)
Dec 23, 2009 2:15 AM

Dec 2008
Hakujou said:
Hajimemashite! I'm Drew a recently turned 40 year old (horrible number). I've been watching Anime for a very long time now. In fact I can recall back to my youth watching Starblazers and Ultraman imports (wow that's awhile ago. I'm gonna depress myself).

Nahhh! Don't feel that way! I'm 50 and can remember watching REAL old school stuff like Speed Racer, Marine Boy and Prince Planet! Now THAT goes back a ways! HA!

I am hoping to go back to college this next fall to take Japanese lang and lit classes. My reward for that will be trip to Japan and to Akhaibara, Whooot!

I've been to Tokyo and visited "Electric Town" and it's beyond amazing! You'll love it! And don't forget to visit Tokyo Tower, that's incredible too! From the observation deck, on a clear day, you can literally see forever!

I currently work form home, writing software (Which is not what I received my doctorate in, go figure) and spending all my time online, chatting or IMing people. Hopefully we can spend some time together and talk, that would be cool.

Work from home, eh? Sounds interesting! Welcome aboard!

Jan 6, 2010 6:01 AM

Feb 2007
Hi all!

40 yo female from Germany here, nice to meet you! I've been into anime and manga for quite a few years now and the older i get the stronger my obsession seems to become, scarily enough.XD

If you want to find out more about what i like, it'll probably be the easiest to look at my lists. Currently i'm working - well, it's really more fun than work - my way through the Slayers series (i'm at Next now), but since it's back to work for me tomorrow that might take a while.

Anyway, i'm happy to have discovered this club and hope to be able to get along with everyone.
Jan 6, 2010 8:30 AM

Dec 2009
ooo Slayers. Old School Lina Inverse. Haven't seen that anime in so long. You have one heck of a COMPLETED list.

Willkommen (did I spell that right?)
Jan 6, 2010 8:55 AM

Feb 2007
Hakujou said:
ooo Slayers. Old School Lina Inverse. Haven't seen that anime in so long. You have one heck of a COMPLETED list.

You did. Dankeschön!:-)

As for my completed list, well, i did mention the part about obsession, right?;-)
Jan 6, 2010 12:35 PM

Dec 2008
kuroraka said:
As for my completed list, well, i did mention the part about obsession, right?;-)

WOW!! That's quite a list you have there! Makes mine look puny by comparison! Color me greatly impressed! Welcome aboard! ^_^

Jan 7, 2010 10:13 AM

Feb 2007
PhillyFlash said:

WOW!! That's quite a list you have there! Makes mine look puny by comparison! Color me greatly impressed! Welcome aboard! ^_^

Thank you!:D
Jan 7, 2010 5:25 PM

Feb 2009
kuroraka said:
Hakujou said:

You did. Dankeschön!:-)

Not bad at all! I'm mostly impressed by -26- currently watching series... I try to keep mine to single digits.

Jan 8, 2010 6:21 AM

Feb 2007
ArnoldK said:

Not bad at all! I'm mostly impressed by -26- currently watching series... I try to keep mine to single digits.

Well, at least half of those are currently on hold (i always forget that status) or very slow and some are those 5-min-series like Hetalia or Higepiyo, so it's all relative.
Jan 8, 2010 6:41 AM

Sep 2008
That's nothing. I have 58 in my currently watching list. ;-)

My reasons are much the same as kuroraka's. Plus I have this friend who keeps feeding me shows to watch.

Jan 8, 2010 7:38 AM

Dec 2009
And the funny thing is, he IS actually watching those. His whole list has viewed episodes. That there is dedication, or a very short attention span.
Jan 8, 2010 10:08 AM

Sep 2008
No, it's too much I want to watch with too little time to do it in. And I've got a substantial on-hold list too. ;-)

Jan 8, 2010 10:43 AM

Mar 2009
AccipiterF1 said:

Plus I have this friend who keeps feeding me shows to watch.

Yes that same friend has certainly increased my list too

I have about 24 watching and 3 or 4 are over 100 eps - as my on hold list is just growing everyday as I tend to download full series at a time then just let them sit on my externals

Jan 8, 2010 8:49 PM

Dec 2008
Greetings to all and sundry, I am Nixops, an ageing Otaku (48) from South Africa. I was originally a comics and animation fan, soits only really been the last 2 years that I have started watching anime. My early years were tainted by things like Heidi that kind of ruined it for me. I have to admit that a lot of the stuff I have been watching now is really impressive from a visual and story point of view. My tastes are slightly strange as you will see from my lists, but I have done the gambit of a few of the greats, recently being astounded by Clannad and Clannad After Story. They definitely left an impression on me.
Hopefully I will find a few like minded souls here who can say "I remember when..."
May the Uguu be with you.

Jan 8, 2010 10:00 PM

Sep 2009
Welcome nixops... you & I (as well as a few others in the club) have a fairly high anime-compatibility rate :-)

I'm definitely big into the Key series' Air, Kanon '06, & Clannad (especially AS)

you should check out Haibane Renmei, didn't see it on your list and I'm thinking you'd prolly really like it :-)
Jan 8, 2010 11:43 PM

Dec 2008
Hmm.. I like the sound of Haibane Renmei, the reviews are interesting. I shall add it to my list. The Key series' are amazing, each was an emotional roller coaster that I rode and I wont forget them in a hurry. I am a sucker for great visuals and an excellent soundtrack, anmd none of them dissapointed. Sadly though, the VN's are not available localy for any of the Key works so I can experience those.
May the Uguu be with you.

Jan 9, 2010 1:03 AM

Nov 2007
hi all :)

i guess i should do one of these introduction thingys (is this one of those high school animes?).
i'm...... old enough to remember that marine boy always ran out of oxy gum at critical moments (wavies to phillyflash). (i still think they ripped that off from astro boys' always running out of energy plot device)...
umm... i used this nick as a fallback since rabbit and usagi were both taken. i've watched one or two pieces of anime, but have no manga list (i like movement and my anime would probably be disappointing if i read the manga). it still amazes me that i have over 700 people view an empty list <giggle>.
as for the rest about me...........himitsu desu ;)
devilbunnies are comming! soon we will be leigon!!
Jan 9, 2010 2:01 AM

Dec 2008
Invisigoth said:
i've watched one or two pieces of anime, but have no manga list (i like movement and my anime would probably be disappointing if i read the manga). it still amazes me that i have over 700 people view an empty list <giggle>.

I think in my case they finally took the hint when I hid the status on all the manga I've read (0) and I stated clearly in my comments that I don't read it. I only had 38 people view mine.
Jan 9, 2010 3:12 AM

Dec 2008
Invisigoth said:
hi all :)

i guess i should do one of these introduction thingys (is this one of those high school animes?).
i'm...... old enough to remember that marine boy always ran out of oxy gum at critical moments (wavies to phillyflash). (i still think they ripped that off from astro boys' always running out of energy plot device)...

HA! Glad to read you remember all the fun stuff from the good old days! Humorous aside: I remember going to the local store when i was a kid and asked the cashier for oxygen gum. Needless to say, I confused the heck out of that guy! Double HA! Ahh! Memories!

Jan 9, 2010 5:25 AM

Aug 2006
nixops said:
recently being astounded by Clannad and Clannad After Story. They definitely left an impression on me.

OMG, I'm in love!! ^_^ Marry me? (Just kidding :P) Clannad and ~After Story~ are my absolute favorites!! You have great taste!! Welcome, again!!

And also, welcome, Invisigoth!! Marine boy? Oxy gum? Dunno what that is. >.> But I'm still relatively new to anime, as I've only been watching about 3-1/2 years. So I'm mostly familiar with the new stuff!! Forgive my ignorance. :(
Jan 9, 2010 5:50 AM

Dec 2008
Chelle said:
Marine boy? Oxy gum? Dunno what that is. >.> But I'm still relatively new to anime, as I've only been watching about 3-1/2 years. So I'm mostly familiar with the new stuff!! Forgive my ignorance. :(

Allow me to educate you, my dear! Marine Boy was a real old school anime show from the 60's, here's some info on the show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Boy

Short and sweet, the star of the show chews on special gum that allows him to breathe underwater.

Jan 28, 2010 12:01 PM

Jun 2009
bah... I missed this forum previously.. so let me give u all a lil bit of info :P
Firstly Hi to all the other newbies, and Hi to all the regular members :)

I'm Sheilah (don't leave off the h at the end.. I'm VERY fussy bout it).. :P
I'll be 46 shortly (Feb 7) and I'm the youngest of 4 kids (2 sisters n 1 brother) I have 3 nieces (all over 20) and 6 nephews (ranging from 24 to 3). I'm single (well divorced and not looking!!), but have a very healthy but spoiled kitty cat (she's my baby!!) And yes... single siblings are meant to spoil their kin's kids!!

It was the insistence of my oldest nephew and second oldest niece that go me here on MAL. (They actually set up the account for me cause I won't :P ) They just got tired of my excel spread sheet with my list :P.

I live in a little town called Bradford, bout 30 - 45 min north of Toronto, in the "great white north" to quote our ambassadors Bob & Doug McKenzie. Currently unemployed due to the crash of the automotive market, but I've recently gotten some nibbles so I'm hopeful :P Oh and as I'm sure you can all tell from some of my other posts... I'm very opinionated :P but I try to be open minded. I know not everyone shares my opinions *mumbles - they're just all wrong*.... lol

Earliest memory for anime? Who else remembers Battle of the Planets aka G-Force?
Yep I was watching them on TV in my early teens, along with Dangard Ace, Spaceketeers (Starzinger), and Daikuu Maryuu Gaiking.... hmm.. ya those definitely date me!! Anyway I was thrilled when RoboTech came on TV later.. it was my first taste of Macross, and I got hooked big time. Later on when I began to work I would take an entire paycheck a couple times a year and buy nothing but anime. First series I bought was Ranma 1/2, entire first season special box set on VHS. It was bout 10 yrs ago when a friend on line introduced me to BitTorrent, and I've been dl'ing ever since!!

Now this is what's weirdest about me I guess, but makes it somewhat convenient for my niece n nephew who are also anime-addicts. I make sure to burn everything as a data disc before deleting it from my computer.... So everything on my completed list is either burned to disc, or on VHS. Now I do believe in supporting the industry so I do buy my favorites, and I try to make sure they're original discs whenever possible.

Manga are kinda new to me.. I just didn't bother with them so much until a couple years ago. and it was my niece who introduced me to yaoi!! So I guess that explains the size different in the lists :P Ohh and one more thing... I'm trying to hit 900 completed anime by my birthday this year... I wanted to hit 1000 but decided sleeping might be good after all :P So if I'm quite for the next week or so... u'll all know y :P

Now THAT is long winded :D (sowwy)
Dragon-ScalesJan 28, 2010 12:16 PM

Jan 28, 2010 12:29 PM

Dec 2008
Dragon-Scales said:
So I guess that explains the size different in the lists :P Ohh and one more thing... I'm trying to hit 900 completed anime by my birthday this year... I wanted to hit 1000 but decided sleeping might be good after all :P So if I'm quite for the next week or so... u'll all know y :P
After checking your profile, I don't see any major size difference between list. Size difference is my list. . And trust me, sleep is vastly over-rated. Having said that, welcome to MAL:TLY!
Jan 28, 2010 12:49 PM

Jun 2009
OrlahEhontas said:
Dragon-Scales said:
So I guess that explains the size different in the lists :P Ohh and one more thing... I'm trying to hit 900 completed anime by my birthday this year... I wanted to hit 1000 but decided sleeping might be good after all :P So if I'm quite for the next week or so... u'll all know y :P
After checking your profile, I don't see any major size difference between list. Size difference is my list. . And trust me, sleep is vastly over-rated. Having said that, welcome to MAL:TLY!

Well I've got 1017 total anime listed, 822 of which are completed, compared to 286 manga listed, 159 of which are completed :P
*shrug* They've both been viewed reletively the same amount tho

Jan 28, 2010 1:20 PM

Nov 2007
dragon scales sed: "Well I've got 1017 total anime listed, 822 of which are completed, compared to 286 manga listed, 159 of which are completed :P
*shrug* They've both been viewed reletively the same amount tho"

lol believe me .. the size of your list has no bearing on the number of views you get ... i have double the views on my manga list ... hint.... i have *no* manga list!
Jan 28, 2010 3:23 PM

Feb 2009
Dragon-Scales said:

Well I've got 1017 total anime listed, 822 of which are completed, compared to 286 manga listed, 159 of which are completed :P

Good lord, your list is impressively long! Makes mine look tiny in comparison...

Jan 29, 2010 1:57 AM

Dec 2008
ArnoldK said:
Dragon-Scales said:

Good lord, your list is impressively long! Makes mine look tiny in comparison...

That makes two of us! YOIKS!!

Jan 29, 2010 8:15 PM

Nov 2008
My goal was to make 500 by the end of the year. I feel woefully inadiquate now.
Jan 30, 2010 1:57 AM

Dec 2008
JELEINEN said:
My goal was to make 500 by the end of the year. I feel woefully inadiquate now.

Don't feel bad. We can only do the very best we can! ^_^

Jan 30, 2010 3:25 AM

Nov 2007
is list size realy *that* improtaint? id worry less about a bunch of numbers and more about just enjoying what you watch :) sheesh its like a bunch of school boys comparing size
Jan 30, 2010 3:47 AM

Mar 2009
Invisigoth said:
is list size realy *that* improtaint? id worry less about a bunch of numbers and more about just enjoying what you watch :) sheesh its like a bunch of school boys comparing size

I have aways said size is not imortant - its the quality

Jan 30, 2010 9:28 AM

Jun 2009
Invisigoth said:

Thing is .. I have enjoyed 98% of what I've watched. There's been a few that just make my brain feel as if it's oozing out my ears, but even in those I find something I liked. I have been watching and collecting pretty steadily for around 20 yrs now.

.. oh.. and Slenderfall.... as a woman... sorry, but size does matter >_< lol
Dragon-ScalesJan 30, 2010 9:33 AM

Jan 31, 2010 12:35 PM
Nov 2008
A quick hi from Sweden!

I'm rather new to anime/manga having started about 18 months ago.
Jan 31, 2010 12:45 PM

Feb 2007
wilfried said:
A quick hi from Sweden!

Hi, fellow European!^^

Wow, looking at your lists, i can hardly believe you've watched/read all that in just 18 months! That's pretty impressive!
Jan 31, 2010 1:17 PM

Mar 2009
kuroraka said:
wilfried said:
A quick hi from Sweden!

Hi, fellow European!^^

Wow, looking at your lists, i can hardly believe you've watched/read all that in just 18 months! That's pretty impressive!

Yeah very impressive for 18 months - good to see Kaiba as on of your favs to - its one of those titles I find people either hate or love

Jan 31, 2010 1:20 PM

Dec 2008
wilfried said:
A quick hi from Sweden!

Welcome aboard! I must agree that your list is pretty impressive! Way cool! ^_^

Jan 31, 2010 2:20 PM

Aug 2006
Welcome Dragon-Scales and wilfried.

A note to each:

@ Dragon: Nice Fai signature. *gives seal of Fai fandom approval*

@ wilfried: You live too close to slender. You may want to relocate across the pond to save yourself the trouble. ^_~
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (17) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

23 by 23feanor »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2878 by jdvz »»
Yesterday, 2:25 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.