Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 31, 2010 2:22 PM

Jun 2009
wilfried said:
A quick hi from Sweden!

I'm rather new to anime/manga having started about 18 months ago.

Hi Wilfried n welcome aboard the crazy train :P

Jan 31, 2010 2:34 PM

Jun 2008
Guess it's time for me to come outintroduce myself.

My name is Steve and I"m 43 years old single male living in Central Ohio.

My earliest recollection of anime was when I was a young lad in the early 70s when Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion were THE anime at the time (also at the time it was called Japanation). All I knew was that I loved these shows. I didn't know they were anime. I would run home from school just to watch Speed Racer on a local channel in the Detroit area.

I had watched others along the way, again not knowing they were anime, or at least bastardized cutting up of animes. Such as Battle of the Planets and Card Captor Sukara. I remember a bit of SDF Macross. Other than these, my interest did wain because of the lack of anime on regular tv.

It wasn't until Cartoon Network and them showing Pokemon, then Naruto that my love for this animation style returned. That and seeing how bad US animation had become. I now watch at least 5-10 series at a time (not all at one). I already filled 750G of anime and working on another 1T worth. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I never did feel embarressed about my love of anime and manga. I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm not that odd. I might be one of a very small handful of people in the plant where I work that watch anime. We don't get into a lot of discussion mostly because we are very busy.

I"m glad to see I'm neither the oldest nor youngest fan of anime. I hope to have more discussion about it. Thanks for reaffirming that one never needs to grow up and leave this behind. I'll be watching this until they bury me in the ground.
Dodecahedron-O24Feb 15, 2010 4:18 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 31, 2010 3:08 PM

Aug 2006
Welcome Steve!! ^_^ Aaaahhh... Speed Racer. My earliest memories of fangirlism. Of course, I just didn't realize it then, either! Great to have you. :)
Jan 31, 2010 4:48 PM

Jun 2009
sbyrstall said:
I already filled 750G of anime and working on another 1T worth.

Ohhh *drools* ... n eyes ur hard drives.....
<< calculates costs of gas to Ohio n back. (well I did do the trip several yrs ago :P)

Hi Steve and Welcome
Nice to see someone else remembers .. "Battle of the Planets" I think however to completely shatter that wonderful childhood memory, you gotta dl the original - Gatchaman ..... It's like night n day between them, and what was cut out n changed to be able to show it on TV in North America will make u cry : /
But.... I think we'll get along very nicely.... yes...... yes indeed :D
Dragon-ScalesJan 31, 2010 4:52 PM

Jan 31, 2010 7:12 PM

Nov 2007
sbyrstall sed:
" I already filled 750G of anime and working on another 1T worth. I have a lot of catching up to do."

it doesn't take long to fill up a few tb, especially with everyone's obsession with hd releases.
devilbunnies are comming! soon we will be leigon!!
Jan 31, 2010 7:18 PM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
Invisigoth said:
is list size realy *that* improtaint? id worry less about a bunch of numbers and more about just enjoying what you watch :) sheesh its like a bunch of school boys comparing size

I have aways said size is not imortant - its the quality
Agreed Slend...

it's really more about the quality of what you see.. and more importantly, what you get from watching...

I see some lists that list "Currently Watching" like well over 30 titles and I am only left wondering if even an ounce of that is actually comprehended the way it was meant to come across???

I really can't truly take in more than a couple of titles at a time and try for just one

guess everyone has their own methods, I just think some are a little counter-productive ;-P
Jan 31, 2010 7:34 PM

Nov 2007
jg sed: "I see some lists that list "Currently Watching" like well over 30 titles and I am only left wondering if even an ounce of that is actually comprehended the way it was meant to come across???"

<blush> have you been peeking?

as you say , everyone has their own methods... i bounce around from series to series because the whole series doesn't get aired in one hit, nor subbed in one hit. so.. you watch what you can, when you can. in some cases episodes are slow in coming out, but not so slow they need to be moved into "on hold".

the down side is , if you happen to watch single episodes of a lot of series in one hit, you run the risk of loosing track of what's happening , and it becomes a big , jumbled series. lol
Jan 31, 2010 7:43 PM

Sep 2009
Invisigoth said:
<blush> have you been peeking?
Ha! ...maybe ;-P

Invisigoth said:
if you happen to watch single episodes of a lot of series in one hit, you run the risk of loosing track of what's happening , and it becomes a big , jumbled series. lol
That's precisely my point... if it all get's mangled up in ones head .. then perhaps that method is counter-productive to the watcher actually getting from the series all that the series might have to offer (if watched in a different method).

I'm sure that's why I see a lot of people waiting until it's completed before watching
Jan 31, 2010 7:53 PM

Jun 2008
Dragon-Scales said:
sbyrstall said:
I already filled 750G of anime and working on another 1T worth.

Ohhh *drools* ... n eyes ur hard drives.....
<< calculates costs of gas to Ohio n back. (well I did do the trip several yrs ago :P)

Hi Steve and Welcome
Nice to see someone else remembers .. "Battle of the Planets" I think however to completely shatter that wonderful childhood memory, you gotta dl the original - Gatchaman ..... It's like night n day between them, and what was cut out n changed to be able to show it on TV in North America will make u cry : /
But.... I think we'll get along very nicely.... yes...... yes indeed :D

Yeah, I well aware on how they butchered that and butchering together Macross and two other anime into becoming the God-awful Robotech and how some scenes were deleted from Card Capture Sakure for the US audience. *sighing*

Oh, and you keep your dirty paws off my external harddrive. It's an antique. Bought it in '08.

Invisigoth said:
it doesn't take long to fill up a few tb, especially with everyone's obsession with hd releases.
I'm downloading either the blueray or HD of some of the animes I have. Lot of work and time.

Feb 1, 2010 2:18 PM

Jan 2010
A new year means new resolutions to keep my online identity under control, so for now I'll just say that my name is "seasons" and that I'm glad to be here.

30 years old, been watching anime almost every week for the last 4-5 years, although I've probably been a fan for about 10 years or so. Watched what I could get my hands on in high school and started exploring further while in college. I try to buy as much as I can, although I know I need to cut back for a few months if I know what's good for me. Looking forward to going back to Anime Central this May, which would be my third trip there. Won't be staying overnight or anything, though. Can't help but feel that I'm already too old for convention hotel hijinks.

Working at a job I don't really enjoy, hoping to go back to school soon, which would likely mean cutting back on watching anime, blogging, internet, and most of the time I spend on this hobby. Been making AMVs on and off since last year. Also started a blog recently (link posted in my profile) that's been fun to keep up. Hopefully it stays that way and doesn't turn into one of those anime blogs that stagnates and dies an undignified death after three months.

Glad to find a community like this, I guess I've been looking for something catering to the "older" fan for a while now. Nothing personal against them or anything, but it's just hard to participate on forums when the average age of the people there is 16 or so. It's good to find proof that you can still enjoy this stuff when you're, say, older than 23.

I don't think I'm quite ready to start drinking Geritol and using Just For Men quite yet, but I'm glad to be here.
Feb 8, 2010 4:05 PM

Jun 2009
Hi Seasons, and welcome aboard :)
N since u don't need a walker or anything yet.... It would be appreaciated if u could help those who do :P

Feb 8, 2010 9:34 PM

Jan 2010
Do you want one with or without tennis balls on the bottom?
Feb 8, 2010 11:50 PM

Dec 2008
Got one that's self-propelled?
Feb 9, 2010 12:00 AM

Jun 2009
seasons said:
Do you want one with or without tennis balls on the bottom?

Um.... I don't need one yet... just lots of Tequila and I'm good to go :P

Feb 9, 2010 7:14 AM

Dec 2009
Is it evil of me that every time I see a walker with tennis balls I just want to slick the floors up?

late-Welcome Seasons. (I have an excuse and a note from Epstein's mother).
Feb 10, 2010 3:17 AM

Dec 2008
seasons said:
I don't think I'm quite ready to start drinking Geritol and using Just For Men quite yet, but I'm glad to be here.

Awww, nothing wrong with getting an early start on enjoying Geritol and Just For Men! HA! Anyhoo, welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the experience!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Feb 10, 2010 9:53 AM

Jun 2009
@ seasons ... Watch out for Philly dude... she's a prune-pusher!!
lol

Feb 10, 2010 10:46 AM

Dec 2008
Hakujou said:
late-Welcome Seasons. (I have an excuse and a note from Epstein's mother).
Now if you can have seasons read it without you moving your lips along with him, we might even believe that she wrote it.
OrlahEhontasFeb 10, 2010 10:53 AM
Feb 14, 2010 9:30 PM

Feb 2008
Hi, my name is Derrick... Belated self-introduction (I joined this club around Jan 25th). I just have to say it, "When I was a kid we didn't call it 'anime'". Yeah, that was true when I was watching "Oba-Q" and "Sazae-san" when we lived in Japan from 1971 to 1973. Oddly enough, I don't remember watching much of "Mazinger-Z" other than the OP.

Anyways, I will be out of work at the end of March and am thinking of going to Japan with some friends...so I can get them into trouble! Heck there was at least one night on my last trip there where I wasn't sure if I had paid the bar bill when I got back to my hotel room. (^o^)
Feb 15, 2010 10:51 AM

Dec 2009
Welcome to the club Derrick. Bummer about the job thing but a trip to Japan sounds just like the perfect solution. We will all look forward to many stories and pictures of that trip.
Feb 15, 2010 2:18 PM

Feb 2008
Thanks Hakujou... Yeah, losing ones job sucks but 18 month salary continuance helps to ease the pain. I do have some questions about my pension which I need to get cleared up. Hmm, "Pension". A word I've never seen in discussions amongst young anime fans. :P
Feb 16, 2010 5:11 AM

Aug 2006
Hmmm... since my admin/officer staff has changed so drastically recently... and since we've had so many new members coming in... it's time to update the welcome picture. I must think on this for a bit. >.<
Feb 16, 2010 10:05 AM

Apr 2008
Hello! I'm a Ducky who's been on MAL for almost 2 years now. I got into anime in 2004. Some coworkers on the night shift got me started and I've been hooked ever since.
I do have memories of seeing some anime when I was a very little girl ("The Sea Prince and the Fire Child" - anyone?). I do remember hearing about Sailor Moon when it came out but considered myself way too old for that sort of thing at the time (I've still never seen any of it).

I'm happy that I found anime as an adult. I am glad to buy dvds and hopefully give a little back to something that brings me hours of entertainment.

It's nice to meet you!
Feb 16, 2010 10:28 AM

Aug 2006
Welcome mizducky!! It's great to have you! I agree w/ finding anime as an adult. It's giving me so many great series that I can go back and try to find to watch. Although, like you, I've never seen Sailor Moon. Honestly, I probably never will. LOL. Welcome, again!!
Feb 16, 2010 10:59 AM

Dec 2009
Hajimemashite mizducky! Welcome to the madnees. it will envelop you, keep you warm, whisper crazy talk into your ear... no wait wait, thats just Chelle PMing me again.

I have to say I like your anime list, it's huge. Ambitious. daunting. <random adjective generator failure #33> . You have been here for 2 years and no profile? sad stalker is sad.
Feb 16, 2010 3:11 PM

Jun 2009
Welcome Mizducky
And trust me... the craziness is real...
Least that's what the voices keep telling me :P

Feb 16, 2010 3:58 PM

Apr 2008
Hakujou said:
Hajimemashite mizducky! Welcome to the madnees. it will envelop you, keep you warm, whisper crazy talk into your ear... no wait wait, thats just Chelle PMing me again.

I have to say I like your anime list, it's huge. Ambitious. daunting. <random adjective generator failure #33> . You have been here for 2 years and no profile? sad stalker is sad.

Hajimemashite. Douzo yoroshiku. (I have taken 3 courses of Japanese in college so I like to think that I might not fail completely if I HAD to make a trip there.)

Thank you very much! I really have been watching a lot in the few short years that I have been into anime. I seem to have a much larger range of anime that I watch in comparison to live action anything. I can usually get through most anime that I start, even if I don't like it very much.

What should I put in my profile? I really have no idea.
In my intro post I told you the same things that I put in my "about me" section of my Anime-Planet profile (http://www.anime-planet.com/users/mizducky). I try to keep both sites up to date, but MAL has a much more complete database.

My friends on this site know me on other sites or in person, so I guess I have used this one as simply a tracker until now. This is my first club so I'll do my best to keep up!
Feb 18, 2010 2:05 AM

Dec 2008
Welcome aboard, mizducky! There's chilled Geritol and Ensure in the community fridge for newcomers to enjoy! Drink up, friend! ^_^

Feb 21, 2010 5:22 PM

Apr 2008
Oops! I thought I posted here already for some reason. It's got to be that darned old age kicking in. :P

Hiya! ^_^ I'm duotrouble. Many people call me DT for short. It's easier to type too. I got into anime in 1995 with Sailor Moon but I got hooked for life in 2000 with Fushigi Yuugi. I watch all kinds of anime. I'll never put anything on a "won't watch" list but I have no problems dropping ones I can't stand or am bored with.
Feb 21, 2010 7:00 PM

Jun 2009
Welcome aboard DT :)

Feb 21, 2010 7:19 PM

Aug 2006
Welcome DT! It's never too late to say hi!! Hope to see you around more of the club discussions!!

And that's the great thing about this club... we all suffer from CRS from time to time due to that nasty Father Time. O_o
Feb 21, 2010 9:45 PM
Dec 2008
I first started watching anime before I realized it was from Japan. Back in the 70's I'd get up at 3am to watch Starblazers(Uchuu Senkan Yamato). Then when I was in college it was showing in the mornings before class. during Navigator training with the Air Force in 1990 I finally discovered where all the stuff I liked came from. In 1992 I formed a group here in Kansas (Central Anime) and we started to fansub. We are still running strong, especially now that I'm retired after 20 years in the Air Force. If you're in our neck of the woods, please stop by on the weekend and join us.
Feb 22, 2010 8:34 AM

Jun 2009
Heibi said:
In 1992 I formed a group here in Kansas (Central Anime) and we started to fansub. We are still running strong, especially now that I'm retired after 20 years in the Air Force. If you're in our neck of the woods, please stop by on the weekend and join us.

I LIKE U!! I think we need to be friends :P
* Cozies up all nice and close to Heibi .... n pets her central anime /scarywater bookmark*
Yes.... yes... we could be good friends....mwahahahahahah O.O

Welcome aboard :) Heibi

Feb 22, 2010 9:30 AM

Dec 2009
Is that all it takes? Just start your own fansub group???? I think you should hold out for more DS, like a fansub group in a sunny location.

Hajimemashite Heibi-sama. We shall endeavor to destroy what sanity is left in you.
Feb 22, 2010 9:56 AM
Dec 2008
Hakujou said:
Is that all it takes? Just start your own fansub group???? I think you should hold out for more DS, like a fansub group in a sunny location.

Hajimemashite Heibi-sama. We shall endeavor to destroy what sanity is left in you.

Did I mention the 1000+ LDs and about the same number of DVDs? Not to mention the capsule figures I buy and trips to Tokyo.
Feb 22, 2010 10:06 AM

Feb 2007
Heibi said:
In 1992 I formed a group here in Kansas (Central Anime) and we started to fansub.

Oooh, it's the master of Central Anime! Welcome!:D I'm gonna be eternally grateful to you for subbing LoGH though i put it on hold midway through because merciless spoilers broke my heart...but i'm sure i'll be able to pick it up again...sooner or later...
Feb 22, 2010 6:23 PM

Jun 2009
kuroraka said:
Oooh, it's the master of Central Anime! Welcome!:D I'm gonna be eternally grateful to you for subbing LoGH though i put it on hold midway through because merciless spoilers broke my heart...but i'm sure i'll be able to pick it up again...sooner or later...

HEY HEY NOW... I laid dibs first!! ... :P~~

Hakujou said:

No... that's not all it takes, that's just a really nice bonus, if I were to dl something with no subs :P lol And Hakujou, I don't like sunny locations ... I melt in the heat... I'm definitely a Canadian kinda gal that way.

But since Sbyrstall said...
sbyrstall said:
Oh, and you keep your dirty paws off my external harddrive. It's an antique. Bought it in '08.

Then
Heibi[ Did I mention the 1000+ LDs and about the same number of DVDs? Not to mention the capsule figures I buy and trips to Tokyo.[/quote said:

Will definitely do it :P
Hey Heibi... If I go to Kansas... do I need ruby slippers??? O.O
lol sowwy :P

Feb 22, 2010 6:57 PM
Dec 2008
Dragon-Scales said:
kuroraka said:

HEY HEY NOW... I laid dibs first!! ... :P~~

Hakujou said:

No... that's not all it takes, that's just a really nice bonus, if I were to dl something with no subs :P lol And Hakujou, I don't like sunny locations ... I melt in the heat... I'm definitely a Canadian kinda gal that way.

But since Sbyrstall said...
sbyrstall said:

Then
Heibi[ Did I mention the 1000+ LDs and about the same number of DVDs? Not to mention the capsule figures I buy and trips to Tokyo.[/quote said:

Will definitely do it :P

Nah, no slippers required. Central Anime is like Hotel California. ;) I'm from Alaska originally. Tired of shoveling snow, plus my anime group is here, so I stayed after retiring.
Feb 23, 2010 6:14 AM

Jun 2009
Dragon-Scales said:

Heibi said:
Nah, no slippers required. Central Anime is like Hotel California. ;) I'm from Alaska originally. Tired of shoveling snow, plus my anime group is here, so I stayed after retiring.

lol Hotel Califorina is one of my fav songs by the Eagles :P
Very cool... n I bring my own slippers ;) Actually my feet started getting cold last yr visiting ppl's homes, so I carry some blue sheepy ones in the car now :P
Dragon-ScalesFeb 23, 2010 6:18 AM

Feb 23, 2010 3:12 PM

Nov 2008
Heibi said:
I first started watching anime before I realized it was from Japan. Back in the 70's I'd get up at 3am to watch Starblazers(Uchuu Senkan Yamato). Then when I was in college it was showing in the mornings before class. during Navigator training with the Air Force in 1990 I finally discovered where all the stuff I liked came from. In 1992 I formed a group here in Kansas (Central Anime) and we started to fansub. We are still running strong, especially now that I'm retired after 20 years in the Air Force. If you're in our neck of the woods, please stop by on the weekend and join us.

I went to one of your guys' showings about ten years ago (drove down from the Omaha area). It was a lot of fun.
Feb 23, 2010 5:31 PM
Dec 2008
JELEINEN said:
Heibi said:

I went to one of your guys' showings about ten years ago (drove down from the Omaha area). It was a lot of fun.

The core group is still here. Still the same address. Now we(I) have two 46" LCD REGZAs to watch everything on.
Feb 23, 2010 7:31 PM
Dec 2008
I first (knowingly) watched anime thanks to Heibi, probably in 1993 or1994. I'm sure I saw stuff as a kid that I had no idea was anime.

So, many years and dollars/yen later I'm still at it with Central Anime(Kansas), editing scripts as we get them from the translators so Heibi can time them, and then edit some more on our watching runs. I feel like I can take some of the credit for us doing all of Galactic Heroes because he showed me the 1st movie and the few episodes he had on VHS, and I promptly started buying the LDs because I HAD TO HAVE MORE.

I don't have even close to as many LDs & DVDs as he does but I do have over to 1700 Japanese language manga and over 1300 translated manga... so far...as well as all the stuff I've read online '_;;

And I'll second Heibi's invite - come on by if you're in the area !!
Feb 24, 2010 9:38 AM

Jun 2008
I remember when it wasn't called anime but Japanation. Anime is a mid-80s creation.

Mar 10, 2010 1:32 PM

Mar 2010
Hello to all. My name is Rose, I'm 33, tho I think in my into to the forum I said 32. not sure on that heh... Anyway, I'm a married mom of two and have been watching anime pretty much all my life starting with Voltron. I even got my kids hooked on anime and manga. I've been married for almost 14 years (next month). I also play video games. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching anime, reading manga, and playing games til the day I die. Any questions? Just ask!
Mar 10, 2010 1:47 PM

Apr 2008
Hello Yuki76 we are about a month apart. :)
Mar 10, 2010 2:06 PM

Dec 2008
Welcome aboard, Yuki76! Hope you enjoy the experience! And there's nothing wrong with watching anime at an, *ahem*, "advanced age", I'm 51 and I'm as heavy into it as anyone! Meanwhile, there's chilled Geritol and Ensure for all newcomers in the community fridge! Enjoy! ^_^

Mar 10, 2010 5:27 PM

Jun 2009
Hey there Yuki76 :)
Welcome aboard :)
and keep training those kids right :P

Mar 10, 2010 7:05 PM

Dec 2009
Welcome to the Club. What video games do you play, currently Im looking for someone to shoot in COD4:MW
Mar 10, 2010 8:21 PM

Nov 2007
welcome yuki76 :)

"and have been watching anime pretty much all my life starting with Voltron."

hehe good luck constructing your list..... i'm thinking its going to take a while to enter all those titles up to the current day
Mar 11, 2010 2:04 PM

Mar 2010
thanks everyone.
@Hakujoiu - I'm and rpg person, but my son likes COD and Halo.
@Invisigoth - I know! My mind goes blank when I work on my list. So many titles, and I don't remember some until after I log off. I really ought to write them down.
@Dragon - That kind of training they like lol
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (17) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002)

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

22 by whiteflame55 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2878 by jdvz »»
9 hours ago

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

51 by whiteflame55 »»
Apr 28, 5:34 AM

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
Apr 25, 7:50 PM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.