Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 22, 2014 1:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

What a beauty. No wonder some of the guys are falling for her.

Great OST this episode. I also like the overall pacing too. The match itself was also good too imo. Although Hinata's skills wasn't hardcore, I see improvement in the kid. His spike was awesome and I especially liked the way Hinata "flies" through his moves.
Stark700Jun 22, 2014 2:31 AM
Jun 22, 2014 1:24 AM

Nov 2007
lol @ his reaction for familiar face (KajiKaji's character). even more @ two members of the each team that looks like yakuza. Also the result of that bet about the manager being female or not.

They surprised the opponent team with those shots from the beginning. Though despite being lazy feel, KajiKaji's character has a sharp observation and found ways to block him. Seems like Nakamura-san's character was his only friend.

So he began to think of the way to hit than depending on ex-prince because he was actually excited to get blocked.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 22, 2014 2:33 AM

Apr 2013
The similarities between some of the Karasuno and Nekoma players were pretty funny. This part was hilarious.

The game is enjoyable so far. Nekoma already got used to Hinata's movements and have been shutting him down, but thanks to that he is finally learning how to adjust his spikes in mid-air instead of completely relying on Kageyama's tosses. He's definitely improving as a player.
MillsJun 22, 2014 3:40 AM
Jun 22, 2014 2:40 AM

Apr 2012
Loves Hinata's improvment. <3
Can't wait for next week.
Jun 22, 2014 2:43 AM

Jul 2013
HAHAHA Yamamoto and Tanaka
Was just as funny in the manga
Yamamoto falling for Kiyoko XD

Hmm, nice game so far... with Nekoma getting used to Hinata's attacks.
That last one by Hinata was awesome though, even though it went out.
Jun 22, 2014 2:59 AM

Sep 2008
Tanaka his "copy version from Nekoma" xD
Tanaka ver.2 reaction on Karasuno's manager
was much funnier than I expected xD

Daichi and NakaYuu's chara meeting was also pretty cool and funny :D

Oh.. my... poor Hinata... ;(
But that smile...
and this hard work!
Aww... Hinata <3
You're the best!

Oh... that preview
(Nakamura-san! Nakamura-san! Nakamura-san! So cool voice~! *.*)
Jun 22, 2014 3:27 AM

Oct 2013
Hinata, never give up!!!
Jun 22, 2014 3:37 AM

Aug 2008
Love Hinata's smile in the manga better, it felt more menacing.

Nice to see Hinata's new move!! :D
Jun 22, 2014 4:09 AM

Oct 2013
As an anime viewer I say this episode was excellent!

But as a manga reader I say that they cut to many stuff, even if it wasn't any important plot point. The pace of this episode was to fast, they adapted 3.5 chapters, and given that Haikyuu!! is a manga with a lot of content per chapter, they had to remove a lot of stuff.
For Example:
They didn't said that the year Karasuno wasn't able to go to the national phase, they lost in the prefecture finals against Shiratorizawa, nor that the next year they went was the team of the Small Giant.

They didn't showed the Eternal bench-warming club(Current Ukai Coach and the current Nekoma young coach).

The explanation of Libero substitutions was simplified as well.

Kenma in the flashback talked with Kuro, they removed that as well.

They didn't showed all the audience. The guy with an hat in the Ukai and Nekoma coach flashback, also appears to see this match.

They didn't said that small Giant wasn't the better player in Aerial Battles, basically the Ace of the team, until the guy that was left the team(probably a 3rd year that graduated).

Well, I will assume that will make the reading experience, for the ones reading the manga only after watching the anime a lot better and enjoyable.
bigivelfhqJun 22, 2014 11:24 AM
Jun 22, 2014 4:23 AM

Jun 2012
This was a really well crafted episode. No complaints here!
Jun 22, 2014 4:35 AM
Feb 2013
I'm in love with the soundtrack. The track when Shoyo was smiling is so gooooood.
Funny start which each team having their stereotypical characters.
Kageyama is a monster but Shoyo is improving fast.
Jun 22, 2014 4:44 AM

May 2010
Man, the OST of this anime is so awesome! It gives me goosebumps.

Hinata kept his eyes open while spiking, finally! And man, he spiked it really well!

Hinata's passion for volleyball is really something.

Awesome episode again *applauds*
Jun 22, 2014 5:45 AM

Jul 2010
Taketora is way too similar to Ryuu/.
Kagayama wanting Hinata to be underestimated!
Nekoma utilizing their strong receives!!!
Hinata constantly getting block. Gaining encouragement when people expect him to lose his will!
Hinata now coordinates his own spikes!!! That last spike with all that spin!
Jun 22, 2014 6:51 AM

Nov 2013
this was an excellent episode. what a match
Jun 22, 2014 6:59 AM
Jan 2014
The confrontation between Tanaka and Yamamoto was priceless.
Kenma is awesome.
I just love it when Hinata messes up a serve and all you hear in the background is Kageyama yelling : "Hinata boke!" xD.
Their relationship is stronger than ever. The last spike that Hinata made was amazing.
Jun 22, 2014 7:02 AM

May 2013
Lol Tanaka "City boy"

Great episode, Hinata is starting to become the Little Giant already c:
Jun 22, 2014 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
Loving this friendly rivalry.
Jun 22, 2014 7:28 AM

May 2013
Tanaka and that other guy are so alike that it's funny lol. Hinata trying to do something new with his spikes.
Jun 22, 2014 8:06 AM

Nov 2012
great episode as usual! kenma's a really interesting character, can't wait to see more of him and the rest of nekoma~
Jun 22, 2014 8:30 AM

Jun 2011
I want to see the Little Giant's face already >_<
Jun 22, 2014 9:18 AM

Apr 2014
The last spike was beautifully animated T^T

I'm glad they decided to include the beginning rivalry storytelling in the beginning after all

Lol! The intimidation scene~!

I think Kenna's cat eyes look my intimidating in the anime

The pacing felt pretty fast, which I think I like in matches~
Jun 22, 2014 9:33 AM

Aug 2010
Epic episode!!! Beautiful >.< The emotions were done perfectly and DAT OST when Hinata was getting blocked <3!! Loved how it just stopped when they saw Hinata smiling (DAT CREEPY YANDERE SMILE of having fun) XD Chills down my spine >.<

Lol'd so much at Yamamoto vs Tanaka XDXD So hilarious lol And Yamamoto's reaction to Kiyokou was so lololol XD

Kageyama's reaction to Kenma being the Setter XD And Daichi vs Kuro were both priceless XD

Nekoma's cheer before the match totally fits their team and Kenma's importance.
Loving Kenma a lot ^^ His calm analysis is awesome.

Kageyama's "Tch, underestimate him a little" was gold XD

As usual, the reactions to Hinata and Kageyama's quick are so fun to see

And Hinata trying to learn how to spike while his eyes are open the last time was epic! Too bad it was out.

Total loving Nekoma animated :D
Jun 22, 2014 10:15 AM

Nov 2013
this might just be my favorite episode so far
Jun 22, 2014 10:32 AM

Feb 2013
this was so amazing!
hinata growth in the match was animated sooo~ good
nekoma is a great team I really can't "hate" its members

No Blood! No Bone! No Ash!
Jun 22, 2014 11:09 AM

May 2011
This adaption is going pretty well, especially production value wise but...
I hate to be one of those people, but the anime keeps on skipping out on lesser, and then more important things so... if you're an anime-only watcher but are invested and wondering if you should read the manga from any point, do so right from the start because there is so much that's crucial.

It seems they're trying to adapt up to or at least near the official Seijou match, and getting to that point is important as well so the changes aren't unfounded but. They're enough that some of the charm and depth is getting lost which is a bit disappointing. Not that what's presented in the anime is absolutely awful, but it is definitely better and more structured in the manga.

(just as one important example, back during the noya/asahi crisis they skipped out on a whole two pages of conversation between daichi and suga so. yeah)

oh, also
Jun 22, 2014 11:52 AM

Apr 2014
wow what a great episode. Can't wait for next week.
Red is the color of a hero
Jun 22, 2014 12:05 PM
Aug 2011
Takeda and Yamamoto, such bros.
Jun 22, 2014 12:21 PM

Mar 2014
Great episode, it was such a pleasure seeing Hinata's growth. The art and animation were superb with some really powerful movements and expressions. Can't wait for next week
Jun 22, 2014 12:24 PM

Apr 2014
Man, I am just loving this series. This episode was just great.
Jun 22, 2014 12:52 PM

Nov 2013
I played volleyball throughout high school and I love how realistic the series portrays the sport ("there's no such thing as an unblockable spike") and they offer appropriate strategies as well as counter-strategies. Also, I know that a lot of people don't know many of the rules, especially since volleyball is quite a technical sport, I appreciate that the series includes drabbles on the positions, positioning, basic rules... etc. so that all watchers can enjoy it even more :)

on a side note: love how Hinata is developing (he's deffo gonna get his hits passed that blocker next epi!)
& I just about bust a gut laughing at the comedic gold nuggets.
Jun 22, 2014 12:57 PM
Nov 2009
I'm interested to learn more about this "Little Giant" fella.

I like that the coach is willing to let Hinata try out and improve his skills even if it means losing some points. It really goes with the saying of "Fall down seven times, get up eight."
Jun 22, 2014 1:05 PM
Mar 2014
ugh this anime gets so fucking stupid sometimes
Jun 22, 2014 1:14 PM

Dec 2009
Such a good episode. This series has been phenomenal so far.
Jun 22, 2014 1:52 PM

Feb 2014
I think this was the funniest episode so far, but I disagree with "Hinata's smiling," because it looked more like a look of mass murder than anything.
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Jun 22, 2014 2:19 PM

Apr 2013
Dang, that last spike was almost in >.<

Jun 22, 2014 2:31 PM

May 2012
5/5 for me

i wanna see more of Tsukishima
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jun 22, 2014 2:40 PM

Mar 2013
Most of all, I'm proud of Hinata not getting discouraged and steadily growing. Really looking forward to the conclusion of the battle at the garbage dump.
Jun 22, 2014 3:16 PM

Oct 2011
The Match so good!!!

Karusuno and Nekooma so much similarities XDDD
Jun 22, 2014 4:05 PM

Apr 2014
For some reason, it took me twelve episodes to realize there's a lot of talking between plays.

I don't particularly mind it, since the characters are fun and the sport realisticly engaging (to me, at least), but I can see now why some people might be turned off by Haikyuu!! and consider it slow.

Small Giant!! <3

Developing past the trick play is hella interesting. As is Kenma. May we see even more into the Nekoma Team please?? Favor de gozaimasu.
Jun 22, 2014 4:13 PM

Jun 2014
Well you do talk a lot in group sports, for support and strategy though this is also to make the episode last longer since otherwise it would go fast ! :)

Thankfully all the characters are pretty fun and entertaining to listen to :)

Hinata smiling... gah epic ! And its just a training match, can't wait for real competition ! :D
Jun 22, 2014 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Yamamoto and Tanaka looked so much alike...lol.
Jun 22, 2014 4:37 PM

Jul 2010
Getting better and better...Hinata might be one of best sport anime MC's out there.Last scenes were amazing, and that OST.
Tanaka and Yamamoto - lmao.They are seriously so similair to each other.I have a feeling they could become good friends if they were on the same side tho xD
So, we might see new OP and ED next episode? or maybe in 14? well, either way i can't wait, even tho i love current ones.
Jun 22, 2014 5:20 PM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:
For some reason, it took me twelve episodes to realize there's a lot of talking between plays.

In this episode game they had minimal talk between plays! The only really big one was Hinata explaining to Kageyama why he was smiling even though he was getting blocked all the time.
Probably you're talking of Time-outs, each time-out takes 1 minute! Normally that time is spent talking!
Other situations with conversation was in the middle of the game by the coaches, audience and players on the bench(If you didn't noticed, Hinata, Tsukishima don't play in the rear, when they rotate to it they sub with Noya and go to the bench, they return when Noya goes to the front, subbing with him).

So, NO, There were little talk between plays in this game.
Jun 22, 2014 5:30 PM

Apr 2014
Oops! Quick question: Could could someone explain how and when the Libero exchanges positions? I keep replaying the Coach's explainations and it makes as little sense now as it did the first time.

(An aside: Hinata's yandere expressions are back! How I've missed them. Hasn't it been like eleven episodes??)

StormBoi said:
Well you do talk a lot in group sports, for support and strategy though this is also to make the episode last longer since otherwise it would go fast ! :)

Thankfully all the characters are pretty fun and entertaining to listen to :)
Agreed!

I don't find it unrealistic, especially for a practice match, but I see how it slows the pacing of the actual sport down. Hence some people's complaints re: slow. Might it have to do with the casual atmosphere of practice matches? Wonder about the contrast between those and official matches, in which more will be on the line. Atmosphere~

bigivelfhq said:
currycurry said:

In this episode game they had minimal talk between plays! The only really big one was Hinata explaining to Kageyama why he was smiling even though he was getting blocked all the time.
Probably you're talking of Time-outs, each time-out takes 1 minute! Normally that time is spent talking!
Other situations with conversation was in the middle of the game by the coaches, audience and players on the bench(If you didn't noticed, Hinata, Tsukishima don't play in the rear, when they rotate to it they sub with Noya and go to the bench, they return when Noya goes to the front, subbing with him).

I wasn't referring to just this episode but Haikyuu!! as a whole in comparison to the action/sports genre. Like I said, I don't mind it myself but I can see where those who prefer more SERIOUS ACTION could find this show an exercise in frustration. But Haikyuu!! is personable and chatty and wants to bind a ragtag team of disparate personalities. There's nothing at all wrong with that. :)
currycurryJun 22, 2014 5:52 PM
Jun 22, 2014 5:45 PM

Jul 2013
Tanaka and the other guy's intimidation faces was pretty funny XD. The Volleyball match was really entertaining, and addictive to watch. Looks like Nekoma knows about Karasuno's movements and gaining the upper hand.

I think Hinata will do much better in the next episode. Enhancing his accuracy for the spikes :D.

Jun 22, 2014 5:46 PM

Jun 2013
Wow this was one of my favorite episodes by far. So energetic and very inspiring!
Jun 22, 2014 6:37 PM

Feb 2009
I can't help but smile when I hear this show's awesome OST at really great moments.

I like the scenes where they show the similarities between the characters on Karasuno and the characters on Nekoma.

Plus more Asahi abuse from Daichi XD "Besides, the ace says he'll make up for lost points." :D
Jun 22, 2014 6:41 PM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:

bigivelfhq said:

I wasn't referring to just this episode but Haikyuu!! as a whole in comparison to the action/sports genre. Like I said, I don't mind it myself but I can see where those who prefer more SERIOUS ACTION could find this show an exercise in frustration. But Haikyuu!! is personable and chatty and wants to bind a ragtag team of disparate personalities. There's nothing at all wrong with that. :)

No, you said that you noticed in this episode! The thing is that it doesn't happen in this episode! While it happens in others.
A lot of people were complaining about other episodes because during the practice matches, the 3x3 and against the Karasuno Neighborhood association, they took to much time after a play talking(specially about emotions). This doesn't happen in this episode(well, there is one time, as I said before when Hinata smiled).
Note that his a fault to take to much time between plays. This is true to all sports(All that I know). It only allowed during a practice match because is not a real match, and normally a practice match against another team/school is treated as a real match. So, no spending time talking between plays.
bigivelfhqJun 22, 2014 7:09 PM
Jun 22, 2014 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:
Oops! Quick question: Could could someone explain how and when the Libero exchanges positions? I keep replaying the Coach's explainations and it makes as little sense now as it did the first time.

In Karasuno and probably all of Haikyuu!!:(Simplified explanation)
- Right After the Middle Blocker ends serving, he is substituted by the Libero.
- Right before the Libero rotates to the front, he is substituted by a Middle Blocker.

Pages of the manga: (Detailed explanation) They are from this episode, but the anime removed the majority of the conversation.
- Page 1 -> http://img.batoto.net/comics/2012/11/24/h/read50b0c7c4aa258/img000015.png
- Page 2 ->http://img.batoto.net/comics/2012/11/24/h/read50b0c7c4aa258/img000016.png

Note:
Middle Blocker don't play in the rear, except when they serve and the Libero doesn't play in the vanguard/front. Because of this, the Libero never serves, blocks or spikes. The players can spike from the rear(but they have to jump behind the line in the middle of the court), but the Libero is also prohibited of doing it. The only thing he can do is jump(behind the line in the middle of the court) and toss the ball.
bigivelfhqJun 22, 2014 7:14 PM
Jun 22, 2014 6:56 PM

Jan 2011
another Tanaka appears ! lol still sounds like hes saying "Shitty boy"

Hinata is growing!,love how the first person to comment on his new curved spike was his opponent!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.