Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Strike the Blood (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 20, 2014 10:47 AM

Mar 2014
ok so in ep 3 the MC drinks Astarte's blood at the end saying he is "bringing her familiar under his control" to extend her life... because they drain life force so mortals can't have them (for long anyway) like vampires can since vampires are immortal so have "infinite" life force or whatever

does that make Rhododactylos his 13th familiar? unless I missed it he never actual uses Rhododactylos later on... and every time they talk about him having familiars they keep saying 12 which is how many he had before that.... plus Astarte apparently can still use it even at other people's order and she doesn't appear to be under Kojou's orders.. so how is it under his control?

just wondering if maybe I missed something or if they elaborate further in the LNs since I haven't read them yet
LiquidacidJun 20, 2014 3:03 PM
Jun 21, 2014 3:42 AM

Jun 2013
Liquidacid said:
ok so in ep 3 the MC drinks Astarte's blood at the end saying he is "bringing her familiar under his control" to extend her life... because they drain life force so mortals can't have them (for long anyway) like vampires can since vampires are immortal so have "infinite" life force or whatever

does that make Rhododactylos his 13th familiar? unless I missed it he never actual uses Rhododactylos later on... and every time they talk about him having familiars they keep saying 12 which is how many he had before that.... plus Astarte apparently can still use it even at other people's order and she doesn't appear to be under Kojou's orders.. so how is it under his control?

just wondering if maybe I missed something or if they elaborate further in the LNs since I haven't read them yet

I took it more to mean that he tamed the familiar, but did not actually take it. Think a dog trainer comes over to deal with your unruly pup, he basically makes it easier to deal with by subduing it.
Jun 21, 2014 12:33 PM

Mar 2014
krownklown said:
Liquidacid said:

I took it more to mean that he tamed the familiar, but did not actually take it. Think a dog trainer comes over to deal with your unruly pup, he basically makes it easier to deal with by subduing it.

but that wouldn't solve the actual problem... the problem wasn't that she couldn't control it or that it was unruly and needed to be "tamed" it was that familiars suck life force and unlike vampires she isn't immortal so has limited lifeforce... simply having it was killing her extremely fast as it ate her limited lifefore... he drank her blood saying he was specifically taking control of it so presumably it would feed off his life force thus not killing her... so why would she still have full control over it? if it's feeding off his life force it should be under his control

that's what I'm saying doesn't make sense
LiquidacidJun 21, 2014 9:26 PM
Jun 22, 2014 1:47 AM

Jun 2013
Liquidacid said:
krownklown said:

but that wouldn't solve the actual problem... the problem wasn't that she couldn't control it or that it was unruly and needed to be "tamed" it was that familiars suck life force and unlike vampires she isn't immortal so has limited lifeforce... simply having it was killing her extremely fast as it ate her limited lifefore... he drank her blood saying he was specifically taking control of it so presumably it would feed off his life force thus not killing her... so why would she still have full control over it? if it's feeding off his life force it should be under his control

that's what I'm saying doesn't make sense

Its not sucking his force. Trust its what I said the first time. Its even implied during the interactions with the combat deacon, the problem wasn't that she had the familiar the problem was the way he used her, forcing her to continuously use the familiar which her body was not adapt at.

Her is another analogy, the familiar was just thrown into her body, think of this as a stock car, or a out of the box computer or something similar. She is not compatible with the settings in this mode, therefore anytime she uses the familiar the cost is greater because its not on the optimal settings. What Kujou does is come in and kind of rewire the system, puts it on the settings that allow the familiar to work with her body the best.

If it had become his familiar and he was feeding it, which I don't think that is actually how familiars work, there would be no way for her to keep it.
Jun 22, 2014 9:46 AM

Mar 2014
That kind of contradicts what was said tho... they specifically said that the whole reason she was using it so much was because they were attacking random vampires so they could steal their magical power to sustain the familiar and keep her alive till they could find a way to get into the city core to steal the artifact, he even says without doing that she will die in a few days... if using it a lot was what was killing her then they could have just not used it till the final attack and running around randomly killing vampires would have been counterproductive since all she would be doing was replenishing the energy she was using to attack them in the first place... "rewiring" it to be more attuned to her contradicts what was said to since it's specifically said it should be impossible for her to have or sustain a familiar at all... if all it took was a simple bite from a primogenitor to fix that issue and make it usable than there would be a lot more non-vampires with familiars as the other 3 could do the same thing just as easily... there is also the fact he specifically says he's taking control of it

maybe he sapped out a lot of the familiars strength lessening the toll on her so it wouldn't kill her as fast... but then again that would contradict what he said he was doing and the thing doesn't seem any weaker or to have any negative toll on her when she uses it freely later in the series... it's like they just completely forgot/were ignoring everything they said about it in later episodes because nothing they say matches what happens

it's probably just a plot hole I'm over reading into tho
LiquidacidJun 22, 2014 10:01 AM
Jun 22, 2014 5:08 PM

Jun 2013
Liquidacid said:
That kind of contradicts what was said tho... they specifically said that the whole reason she was using it so much was because they were attacking random vampires so they could steal their magical power to sustain the familiar and keep her alive till they could find a way to get into the city core to steal the artifact, he even says without doing that she will die in a few days... if using it a lot was what was killing her then they could have just not used it till the final attack and running around randomly killing vampires would have been counterproductive since all she would be doing was replenishing the energy she was using to attack them in the first place... "rewiring" it to be more attuned to her contradicts what was said to since it's specifically said it should be impossible for her to have or sustain a familiar at all... if all it took was a simple bite from a primogenitor to fix that issue and make it usable than there would be a lot more non-vampires with familiars as the other 3 could do the same thing just as easily... there is also the fact he specifically says he's taking control of it

maybe he sapped out a lot of the familiars strength lessening the toll on her so it wouldn't kill her as fast... but then again that would contradict what he said he was doing and the thing doesn't seem any weaker or to have any negative toll on her when she uses it freely later in the series... it's like they just completely forgot/were ignoring everything they said about it in later episodes because nothing they say matches what happens

it's probably just a plot hole I'm over reading into tho

They were attacking them because her body was not wired for it. Dude let it go. The familiar has no connection to Koujo. Because she couldn't handle the familiar they attacked the demons to extend her use, but at the same time he needed her combat ability which is why he forced her to use it, which was what was eating her lifespan. Have you ever played video games, like those old racing games where you needed to pick clocks to keep your lap going. It was a double edge sword, do you go out of your way to pick up a clock and gain more time, or do you hope you have enough to make it to the starting line.

Think of it like this, she has a meter that is slowly draining, if she uses an attack it accelerates the speed of the drop, but at the same time if she kills the demon, she gain a portion to the life bar which makes up for what she lost, but not my much, ultimately with each kill she is only gaining back really small amounts, so overall she is still falling. However what Koujo does is stop the meter from falling, and because this is a anime/light novel, it magically works out that he was able to stop it at a point where she would have a normal life, or if that doesn't work for you, by doing what he did, the familiar gave back all her life used kind of like with the clones in Index.

You have to realize its harem action fantasy, I don' t think the author put in that much thought to it. But like I said, as far as I know other than witches, and only through one exception, you cant pass familiars, so there is no way for it to be Koujo's familiar in astarte. And even if it was she would serve him and not Natsuki.

More topics from this board

» Will I get to see Minamiya, Natsuki... (Question for a spoiler)

CrazyButNot4U - Apr 4

3 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 7, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Strike the Blood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2014

149 by EinTheVariance »»
Feb 20, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Strike the Blood Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2014

97 by EinTheVariance »»
Feb 19, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Strike the Blood Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2014

101 by EinTheVariance »»
Feb 19, 7:06 PM

Poll: » Strike the Blood Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2014

143 by EinTheVariance »»
Feb 19, 6:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.