Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 8, 2014 6:56 PM

Aug 2013
So everyone is back in the team and heading to Tokyo! It's time for some real match bitches!

Hinata-Kageyama combinaison is so nice to watch. He just explode in every ways. Asahi power is impressive too :P

The two others seconds that always seem bored make me laugh so much x)

It was a great game, but their reception versus those experianced server was too much of a gap. To had to their misfortune, there was on the other side Asahi-Noya combinaison.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 8, 2014 6:57 PM

Oct 2011
Bromance <3

Nekoyama !!!! OMG !!!
Jun 8, 2014 7:24 PM

Oct 2013
minouneetzoe said:
So everyone is back in the team and heading to Tokyo! It's time for some real match bitches!

Hinata-Kageyama combinaison is so nice to watch. He just explode in every ways. Asahi power is impressive too :P

The two others seconds that always seem bored make me laugh so much x)

It was a great game, but their reception versus those experianced server was too much of a gap. To had to their misfortune, there was on the other side Asahi-Noya combinaison.

You didn't included Suga in the combination :(

Is the other way around! Is Nekoma that is going from Tokyo to Miyagi! That is why you seen them walking in the station!
Jun 8, 2014 7:37 PM

Jul 2009
go kagehina goooooooooooo!

CAT TEAM NEXT WEEK LET'S GO.
Jun 8, 2014 7:40 PM

Jul 2009
Mirorin said:
LOL. Loved how they were embarrassed by the older guys saying how cool they were.
"Call the toss, Ace!"
" As long as I'm here, you're invincible!"
Ahaha. That was cute.

Great episode as always.

I loved that too! (:
Jun 8, 2014 8:18 PM

Oct 2008
Great episode, happy to see the team finally come together and work through their difficulties. And heck yes Nekoma in the ending, can't wait for the training camp episodes.
Jun 8, 2014 10:07 PM

Jan 2011
Don't you hate when this happens?
Jun 8, 2014 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
An animated Nekoma team...this is going to be awesome <3
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 9, 2014 4:09 AM

May 2014
Vexper said:
I think I preferred how Kageyama's speech went in the manga but still, good episode!

AGREE THIS!

Lol at Asahi-san's face after Hinata got hit! XD
Jun 9, 2014 1:41 PM

Jun 2013
I love the teamwork in this anime! So heartwarming c:
Can't wait for the nest episode like always.
If you feel attacked, you're part of the problem.

Even if things are painful and tough, people should appreciate what it means to be alive at all. — Yato
Jun 9, 2014 6:51 PM

Feb 2009
It's funny because at first I really did not care much for Kageyama at all, now he's easily my favorite character... Well, except for maybe Tanaka.
Jun 9, 2014 11:22 PM

Apr 2014
I LOVE EVERYONE ON THAT COURT ; A ;

Hinata had great expressions this episode. Articulates without a word. As a shorty, I know his pain. All my hearts, bruh. </3

Kageyama, you're low in social skills but high in bro power. Such bro. <3

Hands down, best episode yet.

parfaited said:
Oh one thing that came to my mind while watching this is that I actually like how sometimes when the focus is on someone you'll hear the others speaking over them in the background.

It is and can be annoying but it's the closest to being natural.

Sometimes other series can feel so calculated(?), I don't know if that's the word i'm looking for.
Speaking, and nothing but silence even with others standing around them.

Anyway, these are some of the things I think about while watching this show.
I may or may not go overboard...
^ Yes, yes. Have to rewind the layered scenes to catch the side jokes but it's totally worth it. A little direction can go a long way to give life to what could be a stale scene/scenes in which characters stand around take turns talking. As you say, calculated... perhaps scripted?

Cheap anime should take advantage of this....
currycurryJun 9, 2014 11:32 PM
Jun 10, 2014 7:52 AM

Mar 2014
Man I'm loving all the characters in this show so much. Really funny how all of their different personalities were showing in the way they reacted to Hinata being hit in the face. Kageyama's angry face 0_o
Jun 10, 2014 8:52 AM

Feb 2012
If there's one thing that irks me about this show, it's the fact that it plays too heavily into everyone insecurities. Being sensitive isn't a bad thing, but is this a soap opera or what?

I really hope they shift their focus elsewhere, because if they keep up the trend of players second guessing themselves the show is going to get a little boring.
Jun 10, 2014 10:29 AM

Jul 2013
jimjameswhatever said:
If there's one thing that irks me about this show, it's the fact that it plays too heavily into everyone insecurities. Being sensitive isn't a bad thing, but is this a soap opera or what?

I really hope they shift their focus elsewhere, because if they keep up the trend of players second guessing themselves the show is going to get a little boring.

This is what really brings down the show for me. The drama is way over-the-top! I know this is a sports shounen but do they always have to resort to cliche shounen shouting and "seishun" drama? I swear these guys can be replaced by girls and wouldn't be weird at all because they act like a bunch of pre-pubescent girls instead of you know, real high school boys.

Why can't every sports anime be like Baby Steps? realistic, technical, passionate, and intense without having to resort to over exaggerated drama and the characters actually behave like real people.
Jun 10, 2014 12:21 PM

Feb 2012
MoeGod said:
jimjameswhatever said:

This is what really brings down the show for me. The drama is way over-the-top! I know this is a sports shounen but do they always have to resort to cliche shounen shouting and "seishun" drama? I swear these guys can be replaced by girls and wouldn't be weird at all because they act like a bunch of pre-pubescent girls instead of you know, real high school boys.

Why can't every sports anime be like Baby Steps? realistic, technical, passionate, and intense without having to resort to over exaggerated drama and the characters actually behave like real people.

I think if you're going to go over the top, do it right. Dia no ace and yowamushi pedal comes to mind. There's something about those two that makes the over the top stuff endearing and not annoying
Jun 10, 2014 1:26 PM
Mar 2013
Everyone's a broooo :D

Nice touch at the end with the veterans poking fun at the highschoolers! It puts things into perspective quite nicely.
Jun 10, 2014 6:59 PM

Jun 2012
MoeGod said:
jimjameswhatever said:

This is what really brings down the show for me. The drama is way over-the-top!

agree, I also feel there's too much unnecessary drama and it's starting to get really exasperating to be honest :/
NemuriNezumiJun 10, 2014 7:03 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jun 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
Aozumi said:
MoeGod said:

This is what really brings down the show for me. The drama is way over-the-top!

agree, I also feel there's too much unnecessary drama and it's starting to get really exasperating to be honest :/

Drama or no drama, feeling of insecurity or not, this anime is win! :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Jun 2013
A bit on the overly dramatic side, but still awesome. I think the sports anime are really taking the cake this season. Ping Pong in first followed by Haikyuu and then Baby Steps.
Jun 11, 2014 9:34 AM

Feb 2012
shanimebib said:

ummm so basically you have no standards? lol

Trippwire01 said:
A bit on the overly dramatic side, but still awesome. I think the sports anime are really taking the cake this season. Ping Pong in first followed by Haikyuu and then Baby Steps.

I really do like the actual sports aspect of the show, it's just the fact that these boys are more melodramatic than the ones from Free! (who were basically gender swapped kyoani girls).

If you're going to mention ping pong, that truly does take first when it comes to the drama department. It doesn't over do it, but it's there's actually something fascinating to be dramatic over.
Jun 11, 2014 2:20 PM
Oct 2013
I'm just so happy with how the teams coming together, at least it was faster than free when it comes to regaining old team members/reconciling. But their receiving sucks (not as much as me) compared to the normal teams. The picking of potions is going to really be hard....
Jun 11, 2014 2:56 PM
Jan 2014
I really liked Kageyama in this episode. The way he manages to motivate Hinata and how he is able to scare the hell out of everyone when he is mad..well made!
It was nice to see that the trainer thought the two of them were childhood friends because they work so well together. Hinata is even taking Kageyama`s yells nicely. Looking forward for the camp!
Jun 11, 2014 4:02 PM

Jul 2013
Kipcha said:
It's funny because at first I really did not care much for Kageyama at all, now he's easily my favorite character... Well, except for maybe Tanaka.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jun 11, 2014 4:07 PM

Jul 2013
jimjameswhatever said:
shanimebib said:

Trippwire01 said:

I really do like the actual sports aspect of the show, it's just the fact that these boys are more melodramatic than the ones from Free! (who were basically gender swapped kyoani girls).

If you're going to mention ping pong, that truly does take first when it comes to the drama department. It doesn't over do it, but it's there's actually something fascinating to be dramatic over.

More melodramatic than the Free! boys? That's definitely an exaggeration. I see what you guys mean with the whole insecurities thing, but I feel they're trying to show how imperfect they all are on their own and they come together to form a nearly invincible team :) & now that they're done with showing each individual grow they're going to now focus on the team growing as one. And I for one think guys yelling at each other to indirectly show their worry for each other is way more realistic than Free where the guys hug things out and compliment each other way too much. Am I right? (Probably not).
"Komugi, are you there?"

Jun 11, 2014 7:16 PM

Jun 2013
jimjameswhatever said:
shanimebib said:

Trippwire01 said:

^ Exactly, in Ping Pong it feels like the drama naturally a results from the situations themselves. The characters don't have to get overly emotional (which is basically like holding up a sign that says "THIS PART IS SUPPOSED TO BE DRAMATIC") for the drama to be portrayed to full effect. This is my only criticism of Haikyuu so far; otherwise it's great and supremely enjoyable either way.

But what I love about the each of these sports shows is that they take the time to explain the sports they're about, yet still make the focus on the characters. It's interesting from a pure "wow, I didn't know that about table tennis/volley ball/tennis" standpoint, but still very easy to relate to the feelings of the characters.

P.S. I died at the "gender swapped kyoani girls" comment. XD
-Trippwire-Jun 11, 2014 7:23 PM
Jun 11, 2014 9:59 PM
Jun 2014
so many people complain that Haikyuu!! character were so insecure and over dramatic

They are human dude not robot nor did they are soldiers. They are teenager and for them to feel insecure is making sense.
I am not Haikyuu!! fanboy and I am not being tsuntsun here.
There is something more vexing than being insulted, humiliated, and abused.

Having a slow internet connection
My time give back my Time T-T
Jun 12, 2014 8:14 AM

May 2012
this little giant guy is mysterious and it seems like ukai kun used to be his team mates
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Jun 12, 2014 12:41 PM

Feb 2012
K1dfor3v3r said:
so many people complain that Haikyuu!! character were so insecure and over dramatic

They are human dude not robot nor did they are soldiers. They are teenager and for them to feel insecure is making sense.

humans don't act like that. At least not overtly.
Jun 12, 2014 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
jimjameswhatever said:
K1dfor3v3r said:

I disagree! When it comes to Japanese high school students and their sports, the emotions come out.

Have you ever watched the Summer (Baseball) Tournament/Koushien? Grown men, young adults, cheerleaders all of them crying. I'm not even kidding.

Sports are serious business.
Jun 12, 2014 2:45 PM

Feb 2012
currycurry said:
jimjameswhatever said:

I disagree! When it comes to Japanese high school students and their sports, the emotions come out.

Have you ever watched the Summer (Baseball) Tournament/Koushien? Grown men, young adults, cheerleaders all of them crying. I'm not even kidding.

We are not talking about the emotions that occur during a game, so far we are only dealing with, what it seems, insecurity issues.

I've played soccer since elementary school till the end of high school, club and school teams. People work hard and get pissed and/or ecstatic during games but we never had group therapy sessions during practice games...

It would make more sense if this kinda thing happened after games in the lockers or something
Jun 12, 2014 4:02 PM

Oct 2013
jimjameswhatever said:

It would make more sense if this kinda thing happened after games in the lockers or something

So the problem is the place and time? It happen in a practice match, after plays! There is nobody forcing them to rapidly return to the game after a play. Normally when I played basket and Volleyball in practice games after some plays we would spend sometime discussing what a player or team was doing bad and right and about tactics and strategies. If the coach or the person responsible allows, than basically is a time where you can spend doing anything. I believe that at least two times they apologized to Sawamura about stopping the training match, once in the 3 vs 3 game and once in the recent game, you should be angry with Sawamura and/or coach Ukai, for allowing them the time.

Note that in the practice match against Seijou they didn't had those times at all(they spent a little time when changing the set, where Hinata served at Kageyama head, but nothing significant), the practice match against Nekoma will not have nothing similar nor the games in the tournament, if that makes you feel happy!(They even get a warning during a game because they are taking to much time to start a play).

There is nothing that isn't realistic about it. What you're talking about isn't lack of realism but the fact that isn't the most usual thing to happen. Usually people don't even talk that much while playing and normally when they talk are simple comments about things in the game.
bigivelfhqJun 12, 2014 4:15 PM
Jun 12, 2014 4:23 PM

Oct 2013
currycurry said:
jimjameswhatever said:

Is not only Japanese High School Students! If you take your activity seriously, than emotions come out, I saw and at some time was part of it as well, and I life in Portugal. Japanese people aren't different than the rest.
Jun 12, 2014 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
bigivelfhq said:
Usually people don't even talk that much while playing and normally when they talk are simple comments about things in the game.

truth. I dunno, just the subject matter of the conversations seemed to lean too far into emotional territory for me. I'm also hoping this insecurity issue will actually develop over time, and not hinata always being worried about his height, or kageyama always being haunted by his bossy urges. I hope it becomes more than that.
Jun 12, 2014 5:43 PM

Apr 2014
jimjameswhatever said:
I'm also hoping this insecurity issue will actually develop over time, and not hinata always being worried about his height, or kageyama always being haunted by his bossy urges. I hope it becomes more than that.

Lol.. if they always stayed exactly the same mentally, would there even be a story?
Of course there's going to be development, why do you think the mangaka created characters with flaws in the first place *___*

As a whole, Haikyuu is a very lighthearted and humorous story with very entertaining matches(in a lot of manga followers' opinions), rarely does it get extremely dramatic at all
DreamingLilyJun 12, 2014 5:52 PM
Jun 12, 2014 10:27 PM

Feb 2012
CopicColors said:
jimjameswhatever said:
I'm also hoping this insecurity issue will actually develop over time, and not hinata always being worried about his height, or kageyama always being haunted by his bossy urges. I hope it becomes more than that.

Lol.. if they always stayed exactly the same mentally, would there even be a story?
Of course there's going to be development, why do you think the mangaka created characters with flaws in the first place *___*

As a whole, Haikyuu is a very lighthearted and humorous story with very entertaining matches(in a lot of manga followers' opinions), rarely does it get extremely dramatic at all

I say that because people throw the phrase "character development" around too generously. I feel like I've seen plenty of shows like this where a problem is seemingly resolved but constantly comes back with every tribulation. A side effect of sports stories, I guess. Like I have a feeling this is not the end of kageyama's bossy side or hinata's height insecurities (which honestly seems will become a motif in the show). I want these see these two encounter more interesting conflicts than what we've seen so far...
Jun 13, 2014 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
I love this so much.
Jun 13, 2014 11:13 AM

Aug 2009
jimjameswhatever said:

I say that because people throw the phrase "character development" around too generously. I feel like I've seen plenty of shows like this where a problem is seemingly resolved but constantly comes back with every tribulation. A side effect of sports stories, I guess. Like I have a feeling this is not the end of kageyama's bossy side or hinata's height insecurities (which honestly seems will become a motif in the show). I want these see these two encounter more interesting conflicts than what we've seen so far...

What do you mean "seemingly resolved" insecurities don't go away that easily or that quickly. Of course Hinata's height issue will always be an issue for him and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Given that he wants to be taller in order to fully utilize his capabilities, it is something he wishes to do in order to play the sport that he loves. Frankly, I can tell you aren't sympathizing nor are you trying to understand but you are exclaiming this to be dramatic instead. If you sat down and thought about why he is insecure in the first place then you wouldn't have such opinions. It will comeback which is natural and realistic, that is how insecurities work.

On to Tobio's bossiness.....read the manga.

The only dramatic (overly emotional) part was that yell Asahi made to Suga for him to toss him the ball. Other than that it's been fairly okay with the drama. And like someone else has pointed out there will be character development. But even so you can develop different parts of your personality and yet still feel insecure. So that truly doesn't help when we say that. All in all, if it is not your cup of tea I could ask you to either A) read the manga or B) drop the show entirely but pushing my thoughts onto you and telling you what to do is not something I wish to do. So I suggest you do as you feel. I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying this nearly as much as I am over something so trivial.

Jun 13, 2014 12:04 PM

Feb 2012
lovexLuffy said:
jimjameswhatever said:

What do you mean "seemingly resolved" insecurities don't go away that easily or that quickly. Of course Hinata's height issue will always be an issue for him and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Given that he wants to be taller in order to fully utilize his capabilities, it is something he wishes to do in order to play the sport that he loves. Frankly, I can tell you aren't sympathizing nor are you trying to understand but you are exclaiming this to be dramatic instead. If you sat down and thought about why he is insecure in the first place then you wouldn't have such opinions. It will comeback which is natural and realistic, that is how insecurities work.

On to Tobio's bossiness.....read the manga.

The only dramatic (overly emotional) part was that yell Asahi made to Suga for him to toss him the ball. Other than that it's been fairly okay with the drama. And like someone else has pointed out there will be character development. But even so you can develop different parts of your personality and yet still feel insecure. So that truly doesn't help when we say that. All in all, if it is not your cup of tea I could ask you to either A) read the manga or B) drop the show entirely but pushing my thoughts onto you and telling you what to do is not something I wish to do. So I suggest you do as you feel. I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying this nearly as much as I am over something so trivial.

"seemingly resolved" as in the way the story executes the resolution (in this case, it's kageyama giving hinata a lecture on his importance to the team). Sure, if hinata showed some sort of reluctance in his response, by all means, bring up the topic of his insecurities again. I have dealt with people way more extreme than hinata, so I know exactly how it these things go. But that is not the case here, where the problem seems "resolved," when it clearly can't be, realistically speaking, as you said. So putting that aside, I was hoping they'd move on from this, because if not, what was the point of kageyama's lecture? It's not trivial, it's quite important to me that events that happen actually play a role in a character's dynamic, not just isolated events pieced together into a plot.

Either way, we haven't gotten to that point yet, and I'm not judging the show for what hasn't happened yet, I'm just discussing here since that's the whole point of the forum, right? But no, I'm not going to read the manga because I want to see the anime on it's own merits, I'm not going to supplement the story with the manga.
Jun 13, 2014 1:35 PM

Jul 2012
That last part of the game where all the key players got to touch the ball, was so epic.

So far this is my AOTY :)
Jun 15, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode but always so dramatic.
Can't wait to see the interhigh.
Jun 16, 2014 5:55 PM
Jun 22, 2014 4:01 AM

May 2012
04:55 LOOOOL

09:51 waabo!

16:21 it's youth, isn't it

20:46 Eesu Mooningusan!!

24:10 dat cateye

8.5/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 16, 2014 11:40 AM

Nov 2010
Those floater balls coming from the veteran were cool
it looked like a bananashot
Aug 16, 2014 8:53 PM

Dec 2012
LittleStar said:
This series give me so many feelings!*.*
Can't wait to see next episode!
Oct 10, 2014 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
The adults making fun of the youngsters with theyr speechs. That was hilarious.

Good match, the team is really good, but I see that the other guy didn't played any match until now, poor guy. But he seemed interested on that secret ball shot.
Dec 10, 2014 2:08 AM
Nov 2013
Hinata was hit by that ball so hard straight on face
I wish they give more time frame to Tanaka I am missing his high temper comedy
Jun 25, 2015 4:48 PM
Mar 2015
Im really eager to know who is that Little Giant guy >_<
AruLeeJun 25, 2015 4:54 PM
Jul 30, 2015 1:47 AM

Mar 2012
Seems like things are going to get complicated soon. Either Kageyama or Hinata probably won't be able to play in the upcoming match, especially Kageyama since Suga is the team's main setter.
Aug 4, 2015 1:48 AM

Dec 2013
Damn this animu loves being extremely over dramatic :/

The bit at the end with the older guys teasing them about their speeches was funny.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.