Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2014 3:22 PM
Oct 2012
ollythirteen said:
Um, there's just the little problem of anime being a form of art and the fact that the whole point of art is to emulate (copy) (real) life...

I take it that you are not a fan of impressionist art, surrealistic art, abstract art, fantasies, science fiction, superhero comics, or comedy (which relies on the overthrowing of reality).
Jun 4, 2014 3:28 PM

Sep 2011
well that was a satisfying ending to the episode. I like the short cut that was used to get the elf on their side. you have having a copy of each others memories leaves no room for guessing each others motives and alliances. they can't hate each other anymore and are more willing to help each other out. looking forward to next week. oh and the four of them just starting to ball their eyes out was a cute touch.
Jun 4, 2014 3:28 PM
Feb 2014
yaHzee said:
ollythirteen said:
* Yahzee,

Wow you're so right! Silly me! Of course anime isn't real life!

Um, there's just the little problem of anime being a form of art and the fact that the whole point of art is to emulate (copy) (real) life...

There's also the small problem that anime emulates real life so well that some people, REAL PEOPLE, do things like date, wank to and even celebrate the birthdays of fictional characters.

So yeah, I'm not sure your argument is a very strong one.

Of course it isn't real life. It borrows heavily from it, though, hence my hypothetical scenario of dull OP always winning game players being uninteresting BOTH in anime and real life.

I wouldn't say that the WHOLE point of art is to emulate real life. Isn't art a form of expression from it's creator? Something to show an idea or perhaps produce emotion? Surely you've seen some forms of art that hardly emulate real life by your grand "definition".

And you're definitely quite alone on your opinion regarding winning people in real life are boring. Are you kidding me? Name me one type of winning game/winning sport team that isn't popular. Floyd Mayweather hasn't lost a boxing match, yet somehow A LOT of people keep watching him. The Miami Heat could very well be doing a 3-peat, and there are so many more examples.

So, "silly me" for me bringing up an OBVIOUS fact, that you still fail to see.

Well whether art is close to real life or not strongly depends on the age/type of art you look at.
In the naturalism you had the motto Art= Nature - x and the x was to be as small as possible, the same is true for the realism.
On the other hand if you look at Surrealism that was obviously the exact opposite :D
Another example would be the expressionism ;-)

So it is indeed wrong to say that the whole point of art is to copy real life.
Jun 4, 2014 3:33 PM

Aug 2008
Watching this episode made me remember the siblings' biggest weakness: they can't be apart from each other. With such an obvious weakness like this, I wonder why no one who has ever challenged the two ever thought of exploiting this weakness?

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 4, 2014 3:41 PM
Feb 2014
guyklc said:
Watching this episode made me remember the siblings' biggest weakness: they can't be apart from each other. With such an obvious weakness like this, I wonder why no one who has ever challenged the two ever thought of exploiting this weakness?

Well yes I also guess that this will be used by an opponent sooner or later but the opponents they played against till now either didn't have the chance to decide the rules or didn't know about this weakness.

Against Kurumi both times she challenged him so she had to accept both of them playing if she wanted or not; Jibril didn't care for it as she thought she would win no matter what and the EF had no chance to change that as Sora had them in a corner ;-)

But ye I think this will be used at some point of the story.
Jun 4, 2014 3:45 PM
Dec 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
-snip-

I guess my "football fan" comparison is too dumb for great wise Kaioshin sama to understand that he simply ignore me eh?

I guess I will give you another situation similar to you and hope you can understand this one:

A coffee "connoisseur" went to StarB*cks and ordered the most popular drinks(lets say the most popular drinks is frappucino). When he got it, he was disappointed that it wasnt to his liking. He then complained and state his "opinions" to customers around him who bought and enjoyed frappucino, saying that the coffee is basically"blended shake", too sweet, too cold and other "flaws", and didnt deserve to be the most popular drinks. Furthermore, he then came to StarB*cks almost daily to voice his complaints and "opinions" to those people who like frappucino.
When those people ask him to stop, or present their own opinions, he said that he deserve to have his own opinion and then condemn and insult those who like frappucino, saying that they lack taste and finesse. And he kept doing this daily.

Can you understand this comparison, Kaioshin?

Honestly, every time I read your post, I got the feeling that, they are full of self-righteousness, that you are entitled to be treated better, and that other people who disagree with you are wrong.

You said somenone like takuan "forced" you to accept their opinion. The way I see it, it is the other way around. YOU are the one who forced your opinion to others

So yea, you are the wrong one here
Jun 4, 2014 3:50 PM

Nov 2011
ollythirteen said:
the fact that the whole point of art is to emulate (copy) (real) life...

gee, i didn't know people had death notes, could summon swords from the sky and breath underwater in real life.

the whole point of art is to convey one's (or a group of people's) imagination, nothing more. sometimes the art represents real life in one way or another, but these are just a very small subset of what can be considered "art".
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 4, 2014 3:52 PM
May 2014
Yet another great episode. Dat ending tho... XD . Also, could someone explain what they were saying in the episode preview (not the episode preview itself)?

And looks like the "if me say bad its bad" people emigrated from the locked thread, lol.
Jun 4, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing episode, the ED is back to normal :'D
Jun 4, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2011
oneroaddict said:
Yet another great episode. Dat ending tho... XD . Also, could someone explain what they were saying in the episode preview (not the episode preview itself)?

And looks like the "if me say bad its bad" people emigrated from the locked thread, lol.

you mean this?
"It's way faster than salamander" (Jibril?)
"Shut up" (Sora)
"It's a sad thing, growing up"

random conversation (not sure if that's the right word) is random.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Jun 4, 2014 4:05 PM

Jan 2014
That was something! Damn it Sora... So crazy yet so brilliant. This episode doesn't top the one against Jibril but it's close.
There are some amazing thoughts put into this, i'm impressed with this anime.

Nov 2013
oneroaddict said:

Be more explicit... I don't remember what they said... if you say what they said, I'll explain with a spoiler tag
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

Apr 2012
Anyone who noticed that Shiro is already checkmate before he make her move? Weird.....
Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Jun 4, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2014
guyklc said:

the thing is that only steph(since ep 1), jibril (since ep 9) and maybe chlammy(since she got sora's memories) know they cant be apart from each other

so far the "enemy" dont know about their weakness
Jun 4, 2014 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
Sora was crazy to make that bet. It was good to see Sora and Shiro reunite again.

Kurami was on their side now.
Jun 4, 2014 4:10 PM

Sep 2013
My guess from the last episode was way off.

That was an interesting episode, a bit over the top though.

The tears :3
Jun 4, 2014 4:10 PM

Nov 2011
getting an Elf on their side was a great move. Warbeasts will be a peace of cake now.

Jun 4, 2014 4:15 PM

Nov 2010
DarkMoonWolf said:
Aurioch said:
DarkMoonWolf said:

Don't forget to read the rest of volume 2 first... you need to know how and why the new companions will join Imanity.

Well, if the translation of Baka-Tsuki is complete, I already did it (it ends with ep8, right?) ^^ Volume 1 as well. I simply couldn't resist X)

You are absolutely right!!
Sorry I mistakenly said volume 2 when I should have said volume 3. Mea culpa!!

Anyway, please add that to your manga/novel list... It's easier to find out what you read before.

Done. I completely forgot that Manga side of MAL tracks LNs as well... too bad I'm reading crazy fast so I'll finish it in two days.

Augh, now 1 week of painful waiting...
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Jun 4, 2014 4:16 PM
Nov 2013
I'm so glad Sora and Shiro were reunited (even if it all happened in one episode, lol)
Seeing Shiro cry is so sad. But it was hilarious when Sora, Shiro, Kurami, and the elf all crying together.
So I assume the real game begins next? Can't wait!
Jun 4, 2014 4:23 PM

Sep 2013
Hmmm, I wonder if it hurts to cease existing? Great episode. I had thought it was the work of the Phantasma (I think thats their name) but a fucking crazy plan by Sora himself also works!
Jun 4, 2014 4:24 PM
May 2014
DarkMoonWolf said:
oneroaddict said:

Be more explicit... I don't remember what they said... if you say what they said, I'll explain with a spoiler tag

Erm, basically everything in that episode preview:

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with plot...I think. But I don't want to miss what seems to be a reference.
Jun 4, 2014 4:28 PM

Jul 2010
Well i did not freaking expect this.As Kurami said, Sora is pretty insane, but that's what i think makes him one of better MC's out there.
Scene when they were all crying was great, but yeah, in general it was another damn good episode.Im going to rise my rating for this show once again, because i can.
Jun 4, 2014 4:34 PM

Nov 2011
oneroaddict said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
oneroaddict said:

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with plot...I think. But I don't want to miss what seems to be a reference.

a simple google search and found http://lang-8.com/206086/journals/686402
could be a reference to Bahamut Lagoon (a 1996 rpg for superfamicon), in which the heroine says "Salamander(Dragon's name) is ... very fast!"

...or maybe it's a meme of some sort

Jun 4, 2014 4:35 PM
Feb 2014
oneroaddict said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
oneroaddict said:

All episode previews had either japanese or western game references; this one was from a japanese one and well I don't want to post it but whatever :D

From Cyprene from animesuki:

EDIT: Argh got ninjaed ;-)
Jun 4, 2014 4:36 PM

Nov 2013
oneroaddict said:

you can ignore it... it's convencional blablabla... just ignore it

Jun 4, 2014 4:48 PM
Mar 2013
This was such a cute episode I can't T__T widdle bby shiro child I wanna smother you in my bosom such an adorable flower i CANT HANDLE THE LOLI THAT IS SHIRO IM DEAD. I am gradually seeing Sora in a better light, he is kinda cute. Maybe I'll end up loving him in the end. It'd be a first, to have a husbando from a ecchi genre.

I guess Shiro and Sora aren't actually blood related? This elevates some of the awkward incest parts then haha! I'm happy there wasn't much fanservice, just a few pantsu shots but that's it. Overall, eerie but great episode. I might pick of the LN after the series is done. Hopefully there are some translations out there !
Jun 4, 2014 4:58 PM
May 2014
DarkMoonWolf said:
J87 said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
Too tired to write... gonna copy paste instead:

I'll also add the rest of the chapter, since it will probably answer many questions most people seem to have:

Edit: added references and the rest of the chapter

thank you. This show is amazing and this episode is one of the best that i have ever seen and there is a lot of information compressed in 20 min only (i can understand why though).

I don't understand why people complain about it!

Actually today's 20 minutes covered the complete 1st chapter of volume 2 of the Light novel...

I only posted the 5th and 6th part of chapter one.... believe me, a LOT of information was lost during todays episode.

I am just done with reading the whole chapter (started after i saw your reply) and i can only say this: amazing!
Jun 4, 2014 5:18 PM

Nov 2013
J87 said:
I am just done with reading the whole chapter (started after i saw your reply) and i can only say this: amazing!

Told you so.... also sorry for my screw up saying it was volume 2 when in fact was volume 3... my fail there, sorry!!

Anyway, glad you like it, try reading the rest or wait for the anime episode, it's up to you....

As I said before, I'm now anxiously waiting for episode of the game against Izuna. It will probably be the best one of this whole season (of NGNL ofc).

Edit: typo

Jun 4, 2014 5:18 PM
Jul 2013
I wish there were more explanation for how Shiro was able to determine where the board was and what moves both Sora and Kurami made throughout the entire match besides "Kuuhaku is awesome and also magic othello pieces with 'way to win' so they will win", but this show manages to make it entertaining enough to the point that I don't mind.
The main weakness of this show is that it does not give you much of a chance to understand the rules of the game before it reveals how Sora manipulates the rules to his advantage. It doesn't give the audience a chance to contemplate how they would approach the game themselves and compare their own conclusions with what Sora ends up doing. Rules and effective plays come up from left field without preface a little too much; it bothers me slightly at times.

...But again--! Somehow, I'm still enjoying it. I think I'm...thinking too much when this show actually is best watched without thinking too hard and just letting it take you for its ride.
(Although...still...! Really, I don't mind knowing a little bit ahead of time what's going on. ...Goddamnit, I can't make up my mind about this show. It's both really stupid and really enjoyable.)
Jun 4, 2014 5:23 PM

Nov 2013
NorseFTX said:
Although...still...! Really, I don't mind knowing a little bit ahead of time what's going on. ...Goddamnit, I can't make up my mind about this show. It's both really stupid and really enjoyable.)

Read the first transcript I put here...
You'll have the answers you want about this episode... as for the spoilers, well only by reading the LN will you fully understand them

Jun 4, 2014 5:24 PM
Jul 2012
Wait so if that girl has Sora's memories now wouldn't she know all of Sora's techniques to game?
Jun 4, 2014 5:27 PM

Nov 2013
jjrocks24 said:
Wait so if that girl has Sora's memories now wouldn't she know all of Sora's techniques to game?

If you had Cristiano Ronaldo memories, would that make you the world best football player??

Guess this answers your question...

Memories =/= Art and Skill

Jun 4, 2014 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
jjrocks24 said:

it doesn't really matter at this point, since she's an ally now.

edit: also what DarkMoonWolf said above.

Jun 4, 2014 5:34 PM

Nov 2010
NorseFTX said:
The main weakness of this show is that it does not give you much of a chance to understand the rules of the game before it reveals how Sora manipulates the rules to his advantage. It doesn't give the audience a chance to contemplate how they would approach the game themselves and compare their own conclusions with what Sora ends up doing. Rules and effective plays come up from left field without preface a little too much; it bothers me slightly at times.

I blame time restraint for that, thought it can only be applied to only this particular game, as the adaptation had to leave out critical information in order to manage to finish the chapter in one episode (as next chapter has different mood). Rest of the games Sora partake in were pretty straight forward. Hence my hope into blu-ray versions of the episodes being extended, like they were for one critical episode of Fate/Zero (Episode 10 I think, King's Banquet).

jjrocks24 said:

Having knowledge about something and having ability to utilize it properly isn't the same ;) For example, Bronze StarCraft 2 player might know all the build orders professional players are using, but if he cannot execute it as pro player, that knowledge's usability is pretty small.
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Jun 4, 2014 5:35 PM
Oct 2012
NorseFTX said:
Goddamnit, I can't make up my mind about this show. It's both really stupid and really enjoyable.

Why can't something stupid be enjoyable?
Jun 4, 2014 5:35 PM
Feb 2009
YES!!! the ending is back to normal again
Jun 4, 2014 5:37 PM

Jul 2013
That was great! This show just gets better every week! Erasing their existence? I wouldn't have expected that honestly.

Can't wait for next week!
Jun 4, 2014 5:57 PM
Jul 2013
Thanks to all the people who posted links to the original translations of this chapter's content; it helps make the events in this episode seem less like they come from nowhere.

Takuan_Soho said:
NorseFTX said:
Goddamnit, I can't make up my mind about this show. It's both really stupid and really enjoyable.

Why can't something stupid be enjoyable?

=P Oh, something totally could be both stupid and enjoyable.
In this case, I mean that I both hate NGNL because it's not showing everything I need to know to understand what's going on, and I love it at the same time because what's going on is so crazy and out of the box that it's just fun to watch.
I'm still kind of torn about how I feel about this show--I really do enjoy the show, but I think this show requires more time to explain all the stuff that's going on. There's a delicate balance that needs to be considered to avoid bogging the entire show down with explanations, of course. Right now it's straddling the thin line of "just barely enough explanation" and "it looks like ass-pulling because there's too little info provided". Given how few episodes this is, I suppose I can understand, although I hope that (if there's a second season) they will slow down a little bit to give the show the time it deserves.

Also, I don't know why but right now Kurami is my favorite character. It had been that way since the first episode she was introduced. Yeah, it's probably strange, but eff it, she is awesome.
NorseFTXJun 4, 2014 6:03 PM
Jun 4, 2014 6:01 PM

Aug 2013
very good this episode, the focus the series has changed a bit and brought Shiro as the protagonist also
episode focused on the psychological and past of the character, very interesting trusts between the characters, not only as Shiro and Sora like Kurome and Feel
seems that the harem Sora will increase
Jun 4, 2014 6:03 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
An excellent thought provoking episode. Kept me interested throughout despite no action or anything.

I'd like them to go more in-depth with Sora and Shiro's past even more so than they did this episode. But the mystery of it is a really nice touch to the characters, it keeps one invested in them.

Great episode all around. AOTS.
Jun 4, 2014 6:30 PM

Apr 2011
jjrocks24 said:

I'm gonna assume she took the "memory" portion of the brain
Jun 4, 2014 6:31 PM
Oct 2012
NorseFTX said:
Also, I don't know why but right now Kurami is my favorite character. It had been that way since the first episode she was introduced. Yeah, it's probably strange, but eff it, she is awesome.

Why strange, she has a great character design, good Yaoi vibe, and wants what is best for humanity and did the best she could with the very poor hand she had been dealt. The negative comments by the "critics" of her back during the chess game completely missed on understanding anything about her character.

I will admit that this show does only give a minimalist explanation, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally love to try to figure things out, and I have to say this show at least does give you the stuff to work with.

Edit: Just was watching the English subtitles, saw something that I missed. It made it sound like Sora and Shiro are, at the least, half siblings. Probably bad sub, but it said that Shiro was reunited with the woman who was supposed to be her mother.

If I think about it, I don't think that this has been said that they were adopted siblings, oh it was implied when Sora was talking about first meeting Shiro eight years ago, but if Shiro was sent to the orphanage at a very young age because of her intelligence, then there is a chance that Sora had just never met her.

Takuan_SohoJun 4, 2014 6:39 PM
Jun 4, 2014 6:32 PM

Mar 2014
Great episode and dat end xD

Only 3 more episodes T_T
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Jun 4, 2014 7:01 PM

Jan 2011
Fine Sora you were pretty clever with this idea risky&insane but clever

i feel as though if i tried to just nitpick on everything i would just anger myself and find this less enjoyable so i'll give it a break however i won't ignore fact this would of been all over if Shrio didn't somehow figure all Sora's plays to the point in which she didn't even need to see the board to win but whatever those 2 are 1 and blank never loses right?.
Jun 4, 2014 7:04 PM

Aug 2013
Beside the stealing existence part (I thought it was altering memories), my guess was spot on about the on-going game with Kurami yay! Insignificant achievement of the day haha :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 4, 2014 7:04 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, very clever.
Jun 4, 2014 7:05 PM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Edit: Just was watching the English subtitles, saw something that I missed. It made it sound like Sora and Shiro are, at the least, half siblings. Probably bad sub, but it said that Shiro was reunited with the woman who was supposed to be her mother.

If I think about it, I don't think that this has been said that they were adopted siblings, oh it was implied when Sora was talking about first meeting Shiro eight years ago, but if Shiro was sent to the orphanage at a very young age because of her intelligence, then there is a chance that Sora had just never met her.

To make it clearer (dunno if they'll explain better next episode, but this was already explained in the LN at this point of the story)
DarkMoonWolfJun 4, 2014 7:35 PM

Jun 4, 2014 7:06 PM
Jan 2014
I was expecting something else from those four at the last seconds of the episode. Was dissapointed. Dosen't matter though, this anime is awesome.
|My current achievements /// What the olden times taught me|

Best Anime Opening, all arguments invalid.
Second Best OP down here

Jun 4, 2014 7:23 PM
Oct 2012
DarkMoonWolf said:

Thank you, having not read the novels, was curious if it was explicitly spelled out since it would resolve one lingering problem with how I know this series is going to turn out.

Oh, on the Kurumi front, love her look when she got what Sora's ultimate aim was. She knew she could be true to both humans and to her best friend. Nice writing there.
Takuan_SohoJun 4, 2014 7:27 PM
Jun 4, 2014 7:44 PM

Nov 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Oh, on the Kurumi front, love her look when she got what Sora's ultimate aim was. She knew she could be true to both humans and to her best friend. Nice writing there.

Actually Kurumi and Fii (the Elf) also have a interesting backstory, although there was only a very short explanation. But this will probably be addressed next episode, when they formally have a meeting for their presentation and strategize the game against Izuma.

If you really want to know this "soft-Spoiler" then be my guest:

I won't reveal more, since it would affect the story... but this big-small information is sufficient to give us a idea of how the Elves realm works.

DarkMoonWolfJun 4, 2014 8:12 PM

Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.