Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 1, 2014 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
Crez said:
Look here series! I know you want me to be touched by this episode and you want me to care for this guy. The thing is: I don't!
He comes out of nowhere, they call him the ace, and you expect me to feel for him. Not happening in my case.

Besides, YOU'VE SPEND 9 FUDGING EPISODES SETTING MORE AND MORE CHARACTERS UP, HOW COME THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED AN OFFICIAL GAME YET!?!??!

I have 1 episode to go until I according to my own rules can drop it. You'll get rid of my rants by then! Promise!

You like Kuroko no Basket right? So I believe that you don't care about Teppei right? He appeared out of nowhere as well, and it was in episode 19 not in episode 8 like Asahi.

Not all sport anime go right to the big tournament, in reality is in fact the opposite. Did you ever played any sport? It takes really a long time until you get to the big tournament, before that you have some practice matches and you get enough time to know the other members of your team and to prepare for the tournament. Not all sport anime are only about playing against the teams in the big tournament! Some are even slice of life as well, making things longer still.

1 more episode will not change your mind, given that will continue in this practice match.
Jun 1, 2014 4:21 PM

Feb 2014
Amazing.
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Jun 1, 2014 4:22 PM

Aug 2009
Wonderful episode! This series continues to deliver. So many feels in one episode. My only gripe would be the flashbacks that were within this episode. There were far too many and they were flashbacks of what we had just seen.
Aside from that this episode was great. No pacing problems for me I felt it was unfolded in a nice way, a way in which people can appreciate the characters and their struggles. Can't wait til next week!!!

One of my favorite parts is where Ukai asked for a setter and Suga stepped forward, then Tobio questioned him if he was doing it for him. I felt that was very intense and needed. Good job!

Jun 1, 2014 4:28 PM

Apr 2014
bigivelfhq said:
Crez said:
Look here series! I know you want me to be touched by this episode and you want me to care for this guy. The thing is: I don't!
He comes out of nowhere, they call him the ace, and you expect me to feel for him. Not happening in my case.

Besides, YOU'VE SPEND 9 FUDGING EPISODES SETTING MORE AND MORE CHARACTERS UP, HOW COME THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED AN OFFICIAL GAME YET!?!??!

I have 1 episode to go until I according to my own rules can drop it. You'll get rid of my rants by then! Promise!

You like Kuroko no Basket right? So I believe that you don't care about Teppei right? He appeared out of nowhere as well, and it was in episode 19 not in episode 8 like Asahi.

Not all sport anime go right to the big tournament, in reality is in fact the opposite. Did you ever played any sport? It takes really a long time until you get to the big tournament, before that you have some practice matches and you get enough time to know the other members of your team and to prepare for the tournament. Not all sport anime are only about playing against the teams in the big tournament! Some are even slice of life as well, making things longer still.

1 more episode will not change your mind, given that will continue in this practice match.

Yeah, what bigivelhq sad, I'm guessing you don't realize that people don't usually dive facefirst into a tournament without any practice...

But anyways, you gave Free! a 10, so I am definitely kinda going lol since one of your complaints here is about the lack of a tournament.. Not only did Free take such a long time to get to the tournament itself, and most of the time before was also spent going over personal-relationship issues instead of sports related issues, but once it got there, how long did the actually tournaments even last...? Like 5-10 minutes for each one?

But yeah.. bottom line is, either just drop it now(no one is stopping you lol, so you can stop it with the complaining in caps) since I have doubts that your opinion is going to change after the next episode, or... you can put it on hold and watch it all at the same time so you don't have to wait as long for the tournament

I personally think it's a great thing that the mangaka develops each character thoroughly, and if you do reach the end of this anime and still don't care for any of the characters, then I have nothing else to say to you lol..
DreamingLilyJun 1, 2014 5:38 PM
Jun 1, 2014 4:38 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
LOAD said:
I thought the drama in this ep was fitting. When I read the manga, this scene didn't inspire that much emotion in me but watching it again really made me feel for the characters.

I agree, they made the anime so much more emotional and touching. I was nowhere near crying when I read the manga, but damn, they did a great job here, especially with the bgm. Was crying the whole last part. I guess I can see why people think it's dramatic, but I thought the drama was well placed here, just because it seems like something that someone could really go through...how you fear getting blocked again and that your spikes won't go through, you want people to blame it on you for losing, but no one does. Anyways, beautiful episode. And lol at Tsukki calling Kageyama do-S.
Jun 1, 2014 5:32 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty emotional heart warming episode. I really liked it :D
Jun 1, 2014 5:39 PM

Dec 2012
Love everyone's spirit for the game. Asahi's spike at the end was great.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jun 1, 2014 5:43 PM

Mar 2009
I didn't realize there were so much angst and feelings involved in playing a fucking game.

At least knb interspersed their training and drama with tons of blood pumping games. But here it's already episode 9 and there's only been 3 practice games sandwiched between wangst wangst wangst and more crying and wangst.
Holy shit, this anime needs to stop building shit up and start doing.
Jun 1, 2014 6:13 PM

Jan 2014
This is probably one of the best sport anime I've seen.

That spike at the end though, damnnnn.
Jun 1, 2014 6:14 PM
Aug 2011
Crez said:

Who are you again?
Jun 1, 2014 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
The ace is back to fuck some bitches.

The eyecatch with the manager was hilarious xD
''Deal with it''

Now they look like a real team : a coach, a bunch of veteran, some promising rookie and some meat to patch the rest.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 1, 2014 6:23 PM

May 2014
Really enjoyed the episode, especially the flashback. Pretty emotional.

ARE YOU SEDUCING ME??? lolol
Jun 1, 2014 6:56 PM
Feb 2014
Great episode
Especially the time he asked the ball :3
Jun 1, 2014 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
That was one Great ending!
Jun 1, 2014 7:43 PM

Feb 2009
TragicRomance said:
Am I seriously the only Daichi fan? I feel so alone.

Nope, he's my favorite character from the series! :) And Suga's my second favorite! So the part where he points out that Suga is a full-fledged setter and is all proud is <3 <3 <3

Definitely a lot of emotions going on in this episode between quite a few of the characters. Asahi is one of my least favorite characters, but I do like Nishinoya a lot and it was great to see his spirits pick back up. And I definitely like that Suga is stepping up to the plate too!
Jun 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Oct 2008
To see this part of the manga animated was awesome, can't wait for the next episode.
Jun 1, 2014 8:37 PM

Aug 2013
Haikyuu! is very motivational, you know what will happen and twists for what happen
this episode was slower than the others, especially during the game
is impossible to talk much in the middle of the game, but it is much better than to use special powers to play
the team is getting stronger and stronger, and the anime is very good
Jun 1, 2014 8:39 PM
Mar 2014
this anime gets me hot
Jun 1, 2014 8:55 PM

Jul 2010
This episode got me tearing up a little, but at the same time I had a huge smile on me. I love it.

Tanaka who was crying was fucking hilarious btw.

Crez said:

>he comes out of nowhere
wait, did you actually watched these 9 episodes or not?
If you don't like him that's your call, you're free to say whatever you want but, don't say untrue things.
AkanezoraJun 1, 2014 9:01 PM
Jun 1, 2014 9:22 PM

Sep 2012
He's back!
Jun 1, 2014 11:03 PM

Mar 2014
Episode felt a bit dragged, a few things were a bit corny but good episode overall. That spike at the end was so worth it, so satisfying.

Also, I really like Nishinoya's character. The things he said to Asahi in that flashback, very heavy words. I could feel what he was saying, despite my lack of interest in actual volleyball. He just might become my fave!
Jun 2, 2014 2:25 AM

Jun 2008
This episode was so emotional! That flashback.

Loved the moments with Suga, he'll probably end up being my favorite character.
Jun 2, 2014 2:37 AM

Jan 2009
I can't say much more rather than just "WOW" (and that spike;) "so much freaking FORCE there."
Jun 2, 2014 3:22 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was a little slow.
But this show is literally consuming my life force bye everyone.
Jun 2, 2014 3:49 AM

Jan 2010
I love this anime!
Jun 2, 2014 3:58 AM

Oct 2013
SUGAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Now this is sports anime done right.

Love the feels!

I cry. Errytim

10/10
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jun 2, 2014 4:09 AM
Jan 2014
seriously Tanaka and Nishinoya are the biggest emotional crybabies. I love how they get teased by Tsukishima so easily. :P
I found this episode quite motivational, but I must agree with some people that the "return of the Ace" did not really hit me hard. Lol
Oh well I really like Sugawara.
Jun 2, 2014 4:14 AM

Dec 2012
Tanaka is the fucking best. I fucking love this dude, I hope he will still have screen time in the future. My favorite character by far.

Didn't care too much for this ace drama, thought it was cheesy. Still good episode. 4/5
Jun 2, 2014 4:44 AM

Mar 2013
MoeGod said:
All those screaming and "emotional" stuffs were so over-the-top cliche it made me cringe.

The funny thing is they will call back to it next episode on how it was really "youthful" and cliche sounding it was when they were shouting it in the game :P
Crez said:

Well yeah you'll probably drop it next episode then, most of the 1st half will be adapting the part where they are setting up and developing the characters personal issues such as Kageyama's egotistic issue, Asahi's reluctancy to come back to the team, and Hinata's confidence. The main tournament will probably start in the 2nd half of the tournament at episode 13-14ish and end on the
... Since the preorder sales are really good we can expect a 2nd season so we can't really get the better part of the manga (imo) until a second season.
SalmonSandwichJun 2, 2014 4:53 AM
Jun 2, 2014 6:21 AM

Aug 2008
starkmad said:
I didn't realize there were so much angst and feelings involved in playing a fucking game.

At least knb interspersed their training and drama with tons of blood pumping games. But here it's already episode 9 and there's only been 3 practice games sandwiched between wangst wangst wangst and more crying and wangst.
Holy shit, this anime needs to stop building shit up and start doing.
I'm all fine if you don't like the feelings involved or you don't like how the mangaka is building up the characters. Different person have different level of expectation, that's why there is nothing is the world that is loved by every person on the planet. In my case, it's working perfectly and I'm loving every character is the series, I even like every opponent they will play against, which is rare for me in the sport genre. So, if you don't like those feelings involved, I can tell you that Haikyuu might not be your cup of tea.

BUT can you guys stop comparing it to KnB? As if it was supposed to be the standard of the sport genre. Don't you see the way you don't like how Haikyuu is executing their build-up is something that many of us like and enjoy.
Jun 2, 2014 8:35 AM

Jul 2012
The build up is awesome. :) Really like how they're exploring each character instead of just looking at the main two! Awesome game. As I've said for Yowamushi pedal and other sports anime, "if the practice matches are already this intense, the actual matches will be amazing."
Jun 2, 2014 9:48 AM
Dec 2013
didnt it look like he was in the zone at the end of the episode? way to go Asahi!
Jun 2, 2014 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
The most dramatic volleyball ever.
Good episode though
Jun 2, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2013
Dem Manly tears at the end
Jun 2, 2014 11:45 AM

May 2014
Simply magnificent episode. Starting to like volley ball more. Ost which played at the end was simply awesome. I was actually moved by the ending's epic spike. 5/5
Jun 2, 2014 1:49 PM
Mar 2014
I am so falling in love with this serie!!!!!
Jun 2, 2014 1:59 PM

Feb 2013
slow pace with so much development.... that's my taste... \^^/
Jun 2, 2014 3:15 PM

Jun 2012
I love this shit, my first sport anime ever :D

Now to eagerly await the next episode :'(
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jun 2, 2014 6:35 PM

Oct 2011
Asahi and Noya MANLY TEARS !!!!!!! TT__TT
Jun 2, 2014 9:28 PM

Jun 2013
So Asahi returned to the volleyball team, nice. Was epic when he spiked the ball at the end.
Jun 3, 2014 12:30 AM

Apr 2013
That was beautiful emotional episode
I really like the bgm at the end
When I read the manga, I didn't really care about Asahi, but now I've changed my mind
and I'm happy the quality of the anime since ep 1 has been very consistent
Love it
Jun 3, 2014 5:20 AM

Oct 2013

I definetely did not have manly tears running down my face at this moment. Nope.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jun 3, 2014 7:28 AM
Oct 2013
Beautiful episode!!!!

It was really nice to finally see Suga play. Also, I'm excited to know what the coach's evaluation would be~

I really love the animation of Haikyuu, especially them epic ones in specific spikes/serves (Asahi's, Kageyama's, Oikawa's)! And the bgm /always/ matches the atmosphere, it tugs on my heartstrings (read: FEEEELS) ;u;

Tsukishima narrating the next episode's preview too, hehe Tsukki <3
Jun 3, 2014 11:49 PM
Mar 2014
This episode was so emotional ! That soundtrack !!

Glad the ace is finally back but will him and Hinata have a rivalry for ace?
Jun 4, 2014 3:25 AM

Oct 2007
I felt something warm and liquid wanting to escape past my eyeballs in those closing scenes... must be the AC drying up my eyes...
Jun 4, 2014 3:36 AM

Aug 2013
GAWD EVERYONE IS CUTIEPIE IN THIS EPISODE

Kyouko should join the team lmaooo that serve (and peace sign) during eyecatches

THE ACE'S TOSS!! Another superb animation by Production I.G, loving the style for super awesome spikes

Haikyuu!! Episode 9? more like Haikyuu!! Episode FEELS.
Jun 5, 2014 2:55 AM

Apr 2011
I felt that the pace was quite slow, but I enjoyed this episode a lot. I can't wait for the next one! >w<

(I wholeheartedly admit that I did a bulk moments of fangirling over Yuu while watching this ep...LOL)
mshitsugaya10Jun 5, 2014 2:59 AM

Jun 6, 2014 6:33 AM

Dec 2010
Please don't even joke like that
Jun 7, 2014 5:33 PM

May 2013
Nice episode :D
Asahi is awesome.
Jun 16, 2014 5:30 PM

Jun 2011
I wish the pacing catches up again.

And woah Asahi's strong!
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

325 by Carpal_Tunnel69 »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2014

171 by Arizona89 »»
Mar 27, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

262 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 13, 7:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.