Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 20, 2009 1:57 PM

Mar 2008
Mediocre anime. Good action but I hate the overuse of the "shining" in every sentence at the end.

6/10
"Asa! Asa daiyo! Asagohan tabete! Gakou iku yo!"
Oct 22, 2009 5:37 PM

Jul 2008
I knew Alphard would not die just like that, and for that I give this 9/10.
Cummings as monk; Super win xP
I slightly feel uneasy about the fact that it was never revealed why Liang was really so obsessed with Alphard? I'm very interested in her story...

I also agree with Static91. The ending episode was great, but not PERFECT. I just have a feeling something is missing. Maybe I just want a sequel...but the fact that Canaan is after Alphard again means that there can very likely be one right? I may just be too hopeful xP

But yeah, maybe it was missing AlphardxCanaan...Haha xD
Bleed for me.

Oct 25, 2009 12:19 PM
Jul 2009
What just happened?
Oct 31, 2009 4:43 AM

Dec 2008
stupid ending i give it a 3/10
Takeshi-sanOct 31, 2009 11:30 AM
Oct 31, 2009 5:44 PM

Apr 2009
Huh, pretty impressed with Alphard. Dunno how she survives shooting off her own arm and falling that far in the middle of nowhere. Still, she was pretty cool so I guess I'm happy she's alive. But I guess she's still up to mischief.

Canaan in a ponytail. Aww. Looks like she's doing pretty well in the future. Good for her.

Never cared for Cummings or Liang. I'm surprised he survived. He seemed very at peace with everything as a monk.

Nov 1, 2009 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
I thought it was an ok series. The animations were very consistent and I love the fight scenes.

I will say that the ended was a little bland but it does tie things off. I guess they decide to end it all with Canaan being sent after Alphard... since her next mission involved a woman with "one arm."
Nov 4, 2009 6:52 PM
Oct 2009
This show is soooooooooo ridiculously overrated. The plot sucks, and was poorly explained. The characters showed no development until the very very end and still got extremely stale. Character motives were just bad, or illogical. The only good thing about this anime is the action especially in the first three episodes.

Seriously, how in the hell does this anime have a rating greater than 7? The first three episodes are decent, but after that, it suuuuuuucks.

So yeah, I gave it a 5. I probably could have given it a lower rating considering how lame it is in general, but that would be unfair to the fact that the first three episodes were alright.

This last episode...honestly the more I try to understand what Alphard was up to, the less sense it makes. It makes all the conflict in this anime seem really petty.
A2ZOMGNov 4, 2009 6:55 PM
Nov 4, 2009 9:44 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, way too much bashing for this show. I don't even understand what people want from anime anymore; they hate moe shows, but when an action show like this finally shows up, they whine and find some reason to hate on it anyways. You freeloaders are so hard to please...

I liked the series. 8/10 from me. The plot at many times was confusing (still pretty confused about the UA virus thing and why American troops were in China the whole time; that would NEVER happen in real life). Nonetheless, it's just one of those action shows that always keep you on the edge of your seat. It's supposed to be more action than drama anyways, so I forgive the show's cheesy drama-ness and cliche for the awesome action scenes.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Nov 5, 2009 2:17 PM
Oct 2009
The action is only good for like the first three episodes, and then the show tries waaaaaaay too hard to develop a rather mediocre plot.

And the characters are boring, and extremely annoying at times, and had very little depth to speak of. Generally speaking, the bad quality of the characters in this show is a huge letdown.

All in all, nothing about this show stands out. Except for the first three episodes really.

I fail to see how this show deserves higher ratings than something like Element Hunters, which on the other hand is a good example of a decent show that is bashed undeservingly (always by people who only watch 1-3 episodes).
A2ZOMGNov 5, 2009 2:22 PM
Nov 8, 2009 4:48 PM

Feb 2008
There's just too many things that weren't explained, and the way the episode ended felts like they're making a 2nd season. If they do, I would definitely like to find out just who that 2nd canaan was that was under the ice or whatever.
Can anyone who has played the game confirm whether theres more material/storyline to this?
Nov 14, 2009 10:12 PM

Dec 2007
I figured out that Alphard is still alive. I finally learned more about Alphard and Canaan's past. It was very good episode and ending, indeed. Canaan looks more mature, and I really liked Canaan's new hair style. I'm very disappointed about they didn't explain anything why Alphard killed Siam. I hope there's a second season.
Nov 17, 2009 9:00 PM

Sep 2007
I hope there's a 2nd season also, but less yuri and more battles. ^^

Nov 17, 2009 9:52 PM

Nov 2007
I was really hoping that in the last episode Maria would've gotten her memory back and they showed how she lost it in the first place and why everyone from Snake knew her and kept telling her that she was evil and deceitful before.

During the airport scene it occurred to me, what did Canaan do with the left arm? I mean it was a really symbolic moment and all so you wouldn't just throw it away, but then again what are ya gonna do with a extra left arm anyways? Then it hit me, Canaan's going to fade into the credits with two left arms and tatoos on each one, who needs a right arm anyways right??....Yup.

Oh yea, and I liked the after credit thing with Canaan and the one-armed target.I really would've wanted to see Canaan hunting that lady down for continuing Snake's experiments instead of taking her phone calls like that too.
silentknight0083Nov 17, 2009 9:56 PM
Dec 4, 2009 9:44 AM

Sep 2009
So that was the very end, I really liked it!
Dec 20, 2009 6:52 AM

Jan 2009
Decent show, characters were awful, plot was somewhat engaging, ending left to many questions. Overall 5/10
Dec 24, 2009 3:57 PM

Aug 2009
Left me wondering if they were going to add more to the story, the ending made for a lot of questions.

Also, all through the moments with Alphard and Canaan fighting, I couldn't help but feel I was missing something awesome (YunYun saving Maria). I SERIOUSLY wanted to see how that went down.

I love how Alphard does things that you wouldn't expect, (I'm kind of wondering how she's still alive.)

I also love how Canaan adopted Alphard's hairstyle.
Dec 25, 2009 9:25 PM

Oct 2009
Hopefully there will be a Season 2. The story was great and I loved it, but now I wonder what will happen next, and if we will ever figure out about Maria's past. =/
Jan 10, 2010 10:58 AM

Dec 2008
Too many things that weren't explained, weak plot, terrible characters with the exception of Taxi Driver. The animation was pretty good, though.

The first 2/3 episodes were okay, the rest was just meh.

4/10
Jan 25, 2010 8:50 PM

Aug 2008
Many unresolved plot points, and several episodes that fell flat for me. Plus I hate it when they"kill" someone & they don't actually die. But that was counterbalanced by some INSANE fight scenes, Liang Qi and some tense & stellar episodes. I don't think they'll continue this, but if they do I'll be anxiously awaiting at the train station for a ride.

This was one hell of a scene here.
Feb 17, 2010 6:14 AM
Sep 2008
stAtic91 said:
That was fucking sugoi. Loved this ending! It had taxi driver and everything.
Alphard and Cummings survived, yay! :D

I kinda feel like I want to give CANAAN an 8/10, with its great last few episodes.. But there's something that just doesn't click for me. Don't know.

Yeah,feel the same way.
Feb 27, 2010 3:16 AM

Feb 2010
I think that, despite the confusing plot, it was great. The fight scenes were waaaaaaaaaaay above average.

Mar 6, 2010 9:22 AM
Jan 2010
To be honest, I was quite disappointed with the series in general. And being an admirer of past Type-Moon works, I REALLY tried hard to like Canaan. There were a few great action scenes, but the story was waaaaaay too forced. I think the epic taxi driver was the best part of the last episode :P
Mar 12, 2010 5:27 PM

Jun 2009
The whole anime was extremely average and i left watching it at ep 11 almost half a year, came back and finished it now and it seemed awesome.

so i guess the whole anime was above average (7/10) but the ending was good (about 9/10) so an overall score of 8/10 i'd say.

one of the reasons i give it an 8 is b/c the flow of the story was great, few animes can actually get the flow right; even some really great ones can seem to drag along or rush by.

EDIT: Best character = TAXI GUY ftw !!! \m/ woohoo
Chai_Mar 12, 2010 5:32 PM

Mar 14, 2010 6:45 PM

Sep 2009
Huh. I never really had any intention to watch CANAAN until a few friends from Japan recommended it to me since I enjoy badass-ery + yuri. I guess they pretty much hit the mark with that suggestion.

I really liked this show! I managed to watch it all in one day, which is always fun. Although I'm still left with a lot of questions unanswered, I still enjoyed the show immensely. The art style is absolutely one of my favorites, as is the opening.

I kind of wish at least Maria or Alphard died... something that would give depth to plot. Not that I hate those characters; quite the opposite in fact. I just wish they didn't go with the "nice-boat" ending, having everyone still alive in the end. The only way this ending can be okay is if we get a second season, which I'm 99% sure we aren't going to.

All in all, 9/10. Earns a spot on my favorites for now. It'll be hard to resist the urge to write Canaan x Maria stories... .-.
-
Mar 25, 2010 5:27 PM

Jan 2010
Cliched much? And well, I was hoping for some girl on girl, but alas... 7/10

Still, overall it was a very enjoyable series.
werrstonMar 25, 2010 5:30 PM
Mar 26, 2010 5:15 PM
Mar 2010
werr-y said:
Cliched much? And well, I was hoping for some girl on girl, but alas... 7/10

Still, overall it was a very enjoyable series.
Apr 3, 2010 11:28 PM

Oct 2008
Not the best storyline but animation especially during fight scenes were above average. The only thing I really loved about this anime was Alphard. 7/10
The_Cloned_OneApr 4, 2010 2:39 PM
Apr 27, 2010 10:23 PM

Jul 2009
Agh, Maria survived, god dammit.

At least Yun Yun was still there.
May 5, 2010 10:50 PM

Mar 2007
Man i was expecting something like Canaan pledging to stay with Maria forever and embracing her when she wakes up from the hospital bed. Then have Alphard dead. Then have Canaan try to live a normal life maybe work with her in Photojournalism. And more skinship between Canaan and Maria. But instead, the producers opted for an anime ending.

...Everyone lives and everything is reset with a little bit of change from episode 1. BULLSHITSKI!

Well that ending was perfectly fine and it felt like a proper closure... THEY BETTER MAKE A FUCKING MOVE! Or i will /wrists vertically. The photo gallery at the end got me to tears. I just wish there was a tad or a LITTLE more love between Maria and Canaan instead of this distant love crap (although the copper wire eiffel tower at the end was a nice touch). When I mean a little more love, I mean personal displays of affection nothing hentai or anything close to them lezzing out. A perfect example of this would be Candy Boy. Although Canaan and Maria had a few of those Candy Boy moments, they really didn't feel like the emotions were conveyed as well or openly as I have hoped.

Other than that, the ending was worthy of my approval dispite a few flaws. It would have been cool when Canaan was aiming at the plane she was holding a framing board (like the ones for artwork the the 3x2 wire grid) instead of crosshairs. That would've been a nice touch.

Still... 10/10 for the guy whos a sucker for Hong Kong Opera and noteworthy drama/romance/suspence.

burntlettuce said:
Decent show, characters were awful, plot was somewhat engaging, ending left to many questions. Overall 5/10

Quoth the guy that loves One Piece. man are all anime critics hypocritical (me included but not as obvious)?
RanivusMay 5, 2010 10:54 PM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
May 7, 2010 7:53 AM

Jun 2009
Not bad of a show. I'm dissapointed in some areas, and very impress with others.

The plot and character is not exactly strong... but the animation and artwork is a heck of a lot more than strong.

6/10 ^_^lll
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2010 9:56 PM

Sep 2009
glad of how this series ended :)
i liked seeing Alphard was still alive and also was happy to see Maria and Canaan living their lives seperetaly and happily i really liked this series probably more than other people :)

Jul 12, 2010 12:56 AM
Feb 2008
lolwut?

Had a feeling Alphard would survive (if you don't see the body....) yet another page out of Liquid Snake's book even down to the arm thing

Maria surviving was lolwut kinda got confused there but Yunyun always comes through I guess...somehow

The fight was nice wished it was longer but now that Alphard is no longer a Snake or whatever the fuck is she going to do?

Cummings surving was a nice little twist. A loled at Minow's "emotional" reflection on Hakko's ass. And Mr. Taxi Driver is also cool. I loled at Yunyun's melon antics.

Overall the plot was a bit weird. Maria was too ditzy and yet she was the major focus. I didn't get the whole mercenary handler backstabbing with Canaan and Natsumi did she really know from the start? I think the show was best when Alphard was doing her bio experiments and political intrigue was going on instead of the faux lesbian relationship building they had with Maria and Canaan.

We get it you want to be independent and not such a burden on Canaan, Maria. But wtf do you expect when you guys are always getting shot at and attacked by terroists? Of course she's going to have to save you! Ugh got annoying.

There were subtle references to the original plot for the game maybe that explains things better. The show's strengths were definitely in the action scenes and mysterious political dealings. Should've focused more on that. By the animation was indeed dynamic. But the director did make Sword of the Stranger and that movie was stellar.

7 out of 10
Jul 13, 2010 7:13 PM

Oct 2007
wtf was the point of this? >_>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2010 10:05 PM

Aug 2009
gerard0986 said:
Hopefully there will be a Season 2. The story was great and I loved it, but now I wonder what will happen next, and if we will ever figure out about Maria's past. =/

I'm kind of wondering if the manga will go more in depth with the character's pasts.
Canaan apparently did pretty well sales-wise, but they kind of..fell silent about it all.

I mean, what happened with the supposed re-cap (still against that) movies?
Jul 16, 2010 10:24 PM

Apr 2009
well I'm happy that alpahard is still alive, so sad that Maria and canaan never meet again..:(
Aug 21, 2010 4:24 PM

Sep 2008
Good ending... I actually quite liked it - the taxi driver appearing and Nene's (is that the idol's name?) new song both made me happy. XD And Alphard survived. Just whoa. Even if she did survive the fall, you'd think she would've died from bloodloss from severing a limb. But nope! Guess she's harder to kill than that. Or maybe Canaan will follow up and actually end it...

I can't believe Cummings became a monk. XD Nice.

Hmm... I enjoyed the series, the animation was consistently nice, and the taxi driver made one final appearance. Average story. 7/10?
Oct 29, 2010 1:40 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Canaan looks sexier in her new hair cut. Okay ending.

Nov 9, 2010 10:52 PM

Jul 2010
The action and animation was great in Canaan, the ending was also pretty good for the story as well. What I feel was a letdown with the series though, it felt like there were trying to "Cram" a lot into the series with the themes of "Self-Identity, pasts reflecting on the present/future and the whole colour (hope, light etc etc) themes in regard to Canaan's synesthesia.

7/10 for the great action/animation and story, lost points for the overly crammed/complex plot/themes.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Dec 28, 2010 2:15 PM
Jul 2010
thatguy said:
I think the show was best when Alphard was doing her bio experiments and political intrigue was going on instead of the faux lesbian relationship building they had with Maria and Canaan.

We get it you want to be independent and not such a burden on Canaan, Maria. But wtf do you expect when you guys are always getting shot at and attacked by terroists? Of course she's going to have to save you! Ugh got annoying.

The show's strengths were definitely in the action scenes and mysterious political dealings. Should've focused more on that. By the animation was indeed dynamic.

I agree with you. This show had some really nice episodes but the Maria x Canaan relationship got too repetitive for my taste. I think the plot had a lot of potential that was wasted.

Anyway, at least the final episode was good in my eyes. The fight between Canaan and Alphard was amazing, Maria was less annoying and while it was somewhat open, the ending did bring some closure. And I'm glad Alphard didn't die. I really liked her.

This anime had stunning (but unfortunately short) action scenes and the animation quality never disappointed. However, the script was a bit lacking (or tried to have too much in it or perhaps it was simply boring sometimes) - I don't really know what was the problem. All I know is that there was one and thus I give this anime a 8/10.
Jan 20, 2011 7:30 PM
Oct 2009
all in all it was a great anime; only the ending lacked. there was just no reason for not meeting again.
Feb 5, 2011 1:22 PM

Nov 2009
oficially one of the most amazing animes for me, honestly. I loved the ending i was definitely disappointed and sad when I thought Alphard died, but the real end was marvelous and I'm rooting for a new season if possible or something, it's good it was an open end. Although I was kinda hoping Maria would die too, to add to the tragic part, but it turned out pretty good after all.

Feb 12, 2011 4:51 PM

Nov 2010
I was gonna give it an 8 but idk the atmosphere in Shanghai, the large cast of interesting characters and not to mention the top notch movie grade animation bumps it up to 9. my biggest gripe was all the useless babble some of these characters produced, especially maria, it didn't help that she looked like Orihime from bleach (why didn't maria just die). I mean you can be poetic to the point where it is philosophical from time to time, but come on don't go over the top. It makes the show come off as unnecessarily pretentious and cheesy. It couldn't go 10 minutes without someone muttering something along the lines of: u can easily touch someone but you need to ask permission to touch their heart. >. >
You are null and void!
Feb 19, 2011 9:30 AM

Jan 2011
Wanted to give it 4 but Alphard shooting her arm.......That is so bad ass. I give 5

Still a lot of things were left unexplained and it would be cool to get 2 nd season.

Mar 3, 2011 1:45 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty good, some parts felt boring to me.
Mar 19, 2011 12:30 PM

Sep 2009
I would have much preferred had they kept some characters dead as presumed. Overall, I didn't really understand what the plot was trying to accomplish, what was the point of all the politics, and so on, though the fight scenes were nice I suppose. 6/10 Would bump to 8/10 if there was canon yuri.
May 16, 2011 9:32 PM

Feb 2011
I just love everything in this show especially CANAAN :)

9/10
May 22, 2011 10:16 AM

Mar 2009
I thought it was a fantastic ending. Everything tied up, well except they never showed if Hakko lived....and she really did have a great ass!

I for one think it would've been better if Alphard had died, but I guess it leaves it open for another season.
Still it was epic when she shot her arm off!

I now have only one question...Wtf is that bar thing in the taxi for? To separate the driver from a front seat passenger?

Urahara Out!!
May 30, 2011 3:03 AM
Jun 2010
Maria reminds me so much of Orihime from Bleach. SO annoying
Jul 23, 2011 12:56 PM

Oct 2009
Nate2k90 said:
Great Series I Loved Canaan 10/10 xD

qft
あらあら。。。
Aug 9, 2011 12:45 PM

Jul 2009
8/10
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 19, 2009

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 11:36 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 12, 2009

160 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 10:47 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 5, 2009

142 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 29, 2009

91 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 22, 2009

106 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.