Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 28, 2012 12:41 AM

May 2012
A decent episode let's see what they'll find out in the trading exchange!
Dec 4, 2012 3:50 AM

May 2012
I like how this anime is so slow paced. After finishing up Code Geass which has twists and turns in every episode, watching something relaxing like this is the perfect anime-hangover remedy!

The writing (at least in the English dub) is really good too. It's like Inglorious Basterds, the dialog can go on for way longer than usual without you noticing.

One thing i dont care for is the lazy man-character-designs. Lawrence and his new partner look exactly the same except for different hair style. At least give him a different beard or something xD
May 3, 2013 11:10 PM

Jan 2013
Another really good episode.
Liking this more than I thought I would so far
May 12, 2013 11:42 PM

Apr 2013
Good episode. Lets see if he can make some profit.
Always-HungryMay 13, 2013 1:04 AM
Jul 13, 2013 3:48 PM

Jul 2013
Really fun series, this is my favorite episode so far :) I find the ending song catchy too.

Next episode looks really interesting, it's a strange anime. Nothing really happens that is abnormal (aside from Holo herself), both the main characters come across as normal people (despite Holo being a wolf) but yet its really nice to watch.
Aug 8, 2013 6:50 AM

Jun 2011
I can see now why this anime is so highly rated. 3 episodes in and I'm already loving the two leads.

Holo is playful, witty, and beautiful. Lawrence is a sight for sore eyes given the male leads we see these days. I can see this becoming one of my new favorites.
Oct 1, 2013 4:50 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Holo is pretty clever, using the apples to give the fur a apple scent to increase their sales. Her reaction was priceless when Lawrence tried to eat an apple. "Those are my apples you can't have any."
Before that Holo's face as they passed the apple stand was priceless lol

Dec 20, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
Holo, oh you sneaky dog! Getting Lawrence jalous :P

It's really interresting. I have difficulty following all the devise system and how their conspiration work, but I'll adapt to it.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 25, 2014 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
Amazing episode. I never thought that all these trading-related stuff would be so interesting to watch and learn.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jun 4, 2014 12:19 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty good episode, Holo was pretty confident when selling a fur to the company. She likes to tease a lot to Lawrence and his work XD. Although they are getting close together, major points in that :D.

Mostly about selling prices and several economic terms in here. Really enjoying the series now :D.

Jun 12, 2014 8:06 PM

Apr 2014
Good god, Horo was epically moe this episode and that ED is so catchy. This episode was a lot better than the previous 2 but it was kind of difficult trying to understand all the merchant talk.
Oct 9, 2014 8:36 PM

Oct 2013
Timofmars said:
corroded said:
i think the explanation is that the kid doesn't lose anything. if the coin depreciates, he can just return the 10 coins he borrowed(as promised). if the coin appreciates, he gets the 10 coins and 10 percent profit. looking at those 2 scenarios, its not actually a win-win situation, but a no-lose situation :D(kinda different because the kid doesn't actually 'win' if he has to return the 10 coins)

but understanding the things about currency etc was making my head turn @_@ i didn't quite follow it right.(the ones about countries controlling currencies and the silver content etc) anyone care to elaborate? :D

The different currencies are basically in competition with each other. If people "trust" a particular currency more (low risk of the currency losing value) and so prefer to have that country's coin, it means they are willing to offer more of something to get that coin, and they'll want more in order to part with it. That is literally an increase in the coin's value. With these silver coins, a major factor in people's preferences is the silver purity. Silver is valuable by itself, so the coins with the most silver have the most intrinsic value.

I think it's good for the country to have their currency gain popularity and grow in value because then they can counteract that increase in value by creating more of the currency to spend (only costing them the silver they have to put in the coin, which is less than the value of the coin). It's creating free money without having to collect taxes.

There's also some power from having the currency be widely used. If the country got into a war and needed to spend a lot, they could create a lot more coins to spend and it wouldn't reduce the overall value as much. On the other hand, a country whose currency is only used by a few people would quickly cause their currency to collapse if they produced coins to pay for a war (nobody wants to have it because it drops noticeably in value each day).

What they talk about in this episode is regarding speculation that a country might be reissuing a coin, but with a higher silver purity. They would do this to make their coins more popular and valuable (competing with other coins). If Lawrence and Holo were to buy the coins before their overall value was increased by the reissuing of higher purity coins, they'd make a profit.

But it turns out that the newer coins actually are less pure. It's possible to make money by waiting for the value to drop, then buying the coins. This is because the markets overreact to changes. So a decrease in purity leads the currency to drop in value more than it really should, but then slowly corrects itself by rising slightly to a more accurate valuation.

This is pretty much how I understood it, but your explanation was really helpful in making sure everything is clear. Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I'm really loving this show. It's slow - dreadfully slow, in fact - but it's difficult to detect. Though nothing's really happening, nothing needs to because it's just fun to watch. It's also really, really unique.

And my goodness I can't get over how sexy Brina's voice is for Holo sdshlfkdjglglhj

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 16, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. I'm really impressed, almost shocked. They're actually portraying economics properly. I never expected to see that in an anime. Whoever wrote this story did their research. As others have noted, check Timofmars's post if you're having trouble understanding the coin trade.

Instant bump to my opinion of the show.

I didn't care for Holo's lying the second time around. I didn't like it the first time, but I figured the scent might actually stick with the furs for awhile, plus she was more ambiguous. She's a quick learner in any case; some of this would be going over my head had I not taken economics in high school.

It would be interesting if the government issuing the Trenni silver coins put that guy up to making deals with various merchants so said government could trick them out of money.

The chemistry between Holo and Lawrence is great.

Best episode yet.
Nov 24, 2014 2:14 AM

Sep 2014
Now that was some great bargaining from Holo.. I guess she's not the "The Wise Wolf" for nothing..
Together with Lawrence, they make a fearsome merchant duo..

Her playful side is cute~ Making Lawrence a bit jealous haha!

"Males are all jealous idiots." "And females, too, are idiots who feel happy about it."
^ This line from Holo made me lol'd..

Timofmars said:
corroded said:
i think the explanation is that the kid doesn't lose anything. if the coin depreciates, he can just return the 10 coins he borrowed(as promised). if the coin appreciates, he gets the 10 coins and 10 percent profit. looking at those 2 scenarios, its not actually a win-win situation, but a no-lose situation :D(kinda different because the kid doesn't actually 'win' if he has to return the 10 coins)

but understanding the things about currency etc was making my head turn @_@ i didn't quite follow it right.(the ones about countries controlling currencies and the silver content etc) anyone care to elaborate? :D

The different currencies are basically in competition with each other. If people "trust" a particular currency more (low risk of the currency losing value) and so prefer to have that country's coin, it means they are willing to offer more of something to get that coin, and they'll want more in order to part with it. That is literally an increase in the coin's value. With these silver coins, a major factor in people's preferences is the silver purity. Silver is valuable by itself, so the coins with the most silver have the most intrinsic value.

I think it's good for the country to have their currency gain popularity and grow in value because then they can counteract that increase in value by creating more of the currency to spend (only costing them the silver they have to put in the coin, which is less than the value of the coin). It's creating free money without having to collect taxes.

There's also some power from having the currency be widely used. If the country got into a war and needed to spend a lot, they could create a lot more coins to spend and it wouldn't reduce the overall value as much. On the other hand, a country whose currency is only used by a few people would quickly cause their currency to collapse if they produced coins to pay for a war (nobody wants to have it because it drops noticeably in value each day).

What they talk about in this episode is regarding speculation that a country might be reissuing a coin, but with a higher silver purity. They would do this to make their coins more popular and valuable (competing with other coins). If Lawrence and Holo were to buy the coins before their overall value was increased by the reissuing of higher purity coins, they'd make a profit.

But it turns out that the newer coins actually are less pure. It's possible to make money by waiting for the value to drop, then buying the coins. This is because the markets overreact to changes. So a decrease in purity leads the currency to drop in value more than it really should, but then slowly corrects itself by rising slightly to a more accurate valuation.

Definitely worth the read.. I understand it better now thanks..
XiferVPNov 24, 2014 2:20 AM
Mar 13, 2015 9:55 AM

Mar 2012
That Death stare from Lawrence at the guy flirting with Holo lol.
May 1, 2015 11:00 AM
Nov 2014
Horo is clearly the best female character 5ever. ( no bullshit )

Good episode overall, Holo eating apples was so Ryuk-esque. That kid was damn smart though, excited to see what Lawrence will do in the next episode.
Jul 6, 2015 7:36 AM

Mar 2013
whooaaa Horo is already mastering business skills!
Jul 11, 2015 7:24 AM

Aug 2014
Sanji came in at the end and he was awesome.
Jul 14, 2015 11:11 AM

Apr 2014
I feel kind of disappointed..
Aug 12, 2015 12:45 PM

Oct 2014
I don´t get the appeal.Another episode in which nothing of importance happened.
Sep 22, 2017 1:22 AM

Sep 2016
i really enjoyed this eps now im finally hooked into the show, the merchant business is wayy more challenging and incomprehensible at times than i thought, & ah man the witty dialogue and interactions between characters i love it holo is amazingg the way she swayed that man with the fur was spectacular
Facta Non Verba
Sep 24, 2017 3:33 PM

Nov 2016
Holo is an entertaining character but bugger me if I know what all the merchant talk is about.. I'm a completionist so I'll finish this one.
Nov 29, 2017 3:51 AM

May 2015
So many coin types.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 7, 2018 9:41 PM

Dec 2014
Holo is slick. How can you not love this girl
Jan 4, 2019 7:57 PM

Mar 2018
Pretty slow paced show so far, I am pretty sure there are great things to come tho!
Feb 8, 2019 3:00 PM

Nov 2016
Holo is a wolf-girl of many talents <3

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 5, 2019 7:48 AM

Sep 2012
she just killed it with the fur sail 😄

when he teased her with apples, kawaii 😁

Sep 28, 2019 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't she just lie about the fur when she talked about its smell? I'm not that impressed if you get a better price through lying tbh.
Dec 3, 2019 12:45 PM
Apr 2016
This was just made for Holo, she's so good at it. She's really awesome.
Jan 4, 2020 4:20 PM

Sep 2018
This anime is boring me a bit, but I’m a keep watching for now
Jun 12, 2020 11:43 PM
Oct 2019
I find this coin scheme interesting.

Best episode yet, though I'm still undecided about the show overall.

Jul 1, 2020 5:49 PM
Feb 2016
Certainly not bad. Interesting even, but I have difficulty relating to the MCs.
I'll keep watching it for now, based on the high score.
Jan 21, 2021 7:26 PM

Jul 2017
That was a really immersive and enjoyable episode, much better than the first two episodes I have to say since this one picked up a lot on both the economics side of the spectrum (especially surrounding the currency exchanges, the purity of silver coins and much more) as well as the chemistry side too between Holo and Lawrence as a whole with their bantering around. Holo making fun of Lawrence for being jealous but loving that side of him was pretty adorable, I have to say. Zheren played it well against Lawrence with the coin scheme as he basically loses nothing out of the fact that the Trenni coins decreased in purity in this whole ordeal. Going to be interesting to see how Lawrence would counter him to make back profits against him.
Apr 27, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2019
This merchant talk is really not my cup of tea tbh. Maybe I'm not really in the mood to delve into such small problems right now. Might give it another episode or two and see if I like it.
May 22, 2021 9:21 AM
Jan 2021
The series gets more interesting and man i really love holo so this is peak waifu they're talking about..... this episode sold me to the show
Jun 24, 2021 12:39 AM

Nov 2014
And BAM unexpected lesson of medieval exchange trading! That was actually fun.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 12, 2022 1:53 PM

Nov 2013
Ugh... this was kind of unpleasant. Watching it with subs and had to pause and pause and pause to read and make sense when discussing currency. Other than that, it was a good episode.
Jun 29, 2023 9:52 AM

Mar 2022
Well I certainly wasn't expecting Lawrence to teach about the different currencies in particular and learn their values are but there ya go. It's one of those animes where you do need to use your head for but I reckon I got the gist of what he's talking about. Good to see Holo is using her age to easily understand the concept there.

"Apples are the devil's fruit." is probably the best line from Holo so far in this show.
Sep 12, 2023 11:15 AM

Dec 2022
I don't think scamming people by making such flagrant and ridiculous lies about the smell of the pelts is admirable. Holo is travelling with Lawrence, so if she pulls a fast one on assessors and buyers, they could spread word that both of them are disreputable traders. Still, all the talk about currency and finance was vaguely interesting, even if I wasn't familiar with all the jargon used.

Also hope that blonde douche gets forcibly castrated and hurled into the river.

Shaded Horizon

Oct 7, 2023 3:42 PM

May 2022
All I understood was "Money money money" and that is good
Oct 15, 2023 4:13 PM

Oct 2020
I assume Holo is going to remind us that she's "Holo the Wise Wolf" every episode..
Dec 25, 2023 7:37 PM
Jul 2017
runescape lite version of trading, its superficial but lets see where it goes
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Jul 2023
Now we get to see Holo's negotiating skills and trickery.

Also, Holo loves apples.

Also, we get to see the Cantillon effect in action.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 25, 2008

319 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 16, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 6, 2008

154 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 9, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.