Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 9:43 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Can't really say the first episode was great. The character design is annoying.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 5, 2010 9:27 PM

Oct 2009
I think the character designs were allright. Reminded me alittle of Azumanga Daioh, sort of.
There's something about it though, can't put my finger on it. But it seems very mean-spirited.
Apr 20, 2010 8:28 PM

Aug 2008
I agree! Been very Azumanga Daioh. I loved the first episode!
Jul 6, 2010 9:45 AM

Dec 2008
Ootani-saaaan
Jul 2, 2011 3:16 PM

Aug 2010
And why do the aliens lick your back??
Sep 29, 2011 7:54 AM

Jan 2009
dusFlaesPhan said:
And why do the aliens lick your back??

They feed off their hosts' perspire as far as I know. Give and take as what was mentioned.
May 2, 2012 6:43 PM
Mar 2012
Weird show. I feel sorry for the poor main character. Character designs are a bit... cutesy, especially in comparison to the creepy aliens. This show has kind of a creepy pedo feel to it, too.

3/5
Mar 1, 2013 8:52 AM

Feb 2009
...and why little kids are doing this job again?
Jun 3, 2013 7:21 AM

Apr 2013
^ Because this is anime, silly.

This feels like a blend of Fooly Cooly and Azumanga.
Jul 24, 2014 8:13 AM

May 2012
Can't really say much about this anime but I found it rather interesting, the concept at least was really interesting and the overall appearance of the anime was actually pretty good as well!
Oct 7, 2014 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty cool and unique soundtrack, and the animation was a lot better than I suspected for such an out there anime. I like the strangeness of the anime so far, and it seems to be foreshadowing some dark stuff. The character designs are different with the ears and all, but I got used to it quick, and I barely noticed a single lower quality face drawing. The art quality and proportions were really consistent.

I kinda notice the "pedo" elements mentioned above, but it's not obvious enough to be a problem for me. Just seems to be trying to be creepy
Dec 9, 2014 2:25 PM

Jul 2012
That was quite wierd, but still enjoyable, I like the character design and the ost, let's see where this is headed
Apr 3, 2015 6:10 AM
Jan 2012
Pretty unique, I like it.
Aug 2, 2015 12:12 AM

Aug 2014
Werid plot but enjoyable anyways.
Sep 15, 2015 7:27 PM
Jul 2014
I like the unique, cute art. :)
Dec 26, 2016 3:04 PM

Dec 2013
I had this on my list for so long and finally I'm starting it!
But I can't say I really liked this episode. I don't like the character design but I'll get used to it.
What really bothered me was Yuri. She's so annoying! I can understand she's afraid of alien because I would be too but it made me cringe when she was whining. Even more in front of that alien-bull.
But I like Kumi and the free-spirited side of Kasumi :3
So I'll keep watching!

Jun 18, 2017 1:37 AM

Aug 2007
I thought this was a really interesting take on the magical girl genre. I like the darker side of it more than the cutesy transformation staple, so I think I picked an interesting one.

As others said, the animation is lackluster, but other than that, I think this is neat!

Oct 1, 2017 6:58 PM

Apr 2016
The character design reminds me of season 1 of Digimon and Azumanga Daioh were blended together into a weird anime smoothie
Oct 11, 2017 9:30 AM

May 2016
This was...bizarre~ The character designs looked very familiar but I only found out when I read Azumanga Daioh here lol

I found the deadpan delivery of the teachers to be hilarious especially when it was alien-related xD "Ootani-san, you are now part of the Alien Partyyyy." Megumi is actually an alien too so no wonder she talks like that lmao

The sounds weirded me out a little like that constant typing and dark music change out of nowhere and there were a fair lot of topless 6th graders with their drill flesh hats licking their sweaty backs. The creepiest part was the bull though. It's pretty much nightmare fuel ;-; Kasumi's nyas negated it though ♥

Nov 10, 2018 9:44 PM

Sep 2008
This was some bizarre and eerie stuff. I like it.
Dec 22, 2018 6:16 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting and entertaining. Seems like the kind of thing they would've shown on Toonami back in the day. (The nude scenes are easily cuttable, except for the first one with Yuri in the bath, in which they could've digitally added a towel or something.)
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 25, 2018 7:14 AM

Apr 2015
Love-Shonen said:
CatSoul said:
Interesting and entertaining. Seems like the kind of thing they would've shown on Toonami back in the day. (The nude scenes are easily cuttable, except for the first one with Yuri in the bath, in which they could've digitally added a towel or something.)

Nude scenes didn't bother me personally. I think, when you remove nipples and form, and all that; nudity doesn't feel like nudity, you know?

The nudity doesn't bother me personally, but it definitely would have had to been edited on TV/Toonami. After all, they put bikinis under the towels the girls were wearing in Tenchi Muyo. (Though after watching episode 2 of Alien Nine I think it might have been better for Adult Swim.)
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 18, 2019 1:11 PM
Oct 2018
Wow, Bizarre series. Does a great job of exploiting the 'moe' look for the creepy factor, like Madoka. Are the winged heads/helmets/symbiotes a Devilman reference/homage?
Apollo18May 18, 2019 1:28 PM
Jun 3, 2019 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Lol, poor Yuri, she obviously has the most trouble to cope with the situation.

Rather weird series, but in a good way. Expect this to get fucked up quickly.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 18, 2020 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
I went in expecting some bizarre, creepy shit (based on some recommendation from Reddit) and it kinda delivered, especially with it presented in a cutesy way.

Not a big fan of character design & style, but they're (those girls) are cute & rather unique nevertheless.

Aug 13, 2020 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
Otani- San, Otani-san, Otani-san, Otani-san, Otani-san, Otani-san, Otani-san...
Aug 13, 2020 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
How curious that the style of the characters remind me a lot to the movie The Wolf Children, or to the anime Yuyushiki or already to Girls' Last Tour.
Aug 18, 2020 7:15 PM

Jan 2018
it's earning that horror / psychological tags already, it's been a while since i was so weirded out by an anime lol
Dec 8, 2020 5:32 PM

Jan 2020
Was curious while rewatching this today, and decided to frame-by-frame Hisakawa's typing. Disappointingly though, just a 7-frame loop of the same handful of characters. No Easter eggs here.

On that subject, I'd be interested to see a fan someday make a Linux theme in the style of her computer. It's very pleasing, and reminds me a bit of those old Sonic Adventure fansites.

Something else I noticed: in one of the final scenes, you can see what must be an airplane flying through the sky, contrails and all. Though, it's odd, because this series feels almost apocalyptic. Greater civilization and the history of the world aren't often mentioned, even throughout the manga. At least, it's hard to put the pieces together.

As for my last observation, I wonder how difficult it would be to identify where the credits were filmed. I'd have to guess it'd be anywhere between Chofu Airport and Haneda Airport, as J.C. is based in Musashino. Though, who knows.
Apr 30, 2021 3:21 PM

Nov 2019
This was certainly weird but in a good way. Though I don't really know what I just watched.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Jul 16, 2021 6:16 PM
Jul 17, 2021 11:36 PM

Feb 2014
Well that was really weird o_o I'm looking to see where this goes. Maybe the teacher used to be on the alien counter-measure party and now she's like fused with her Borg, and she was guessing which one it will be this year or something so maybe one of the kids usually fuses with a Borg?

If everyone is so jealous of the alien counter-measure party, then why don't people volunteer to do it? Like it would be one thing if you're really risking your life, but like the Borg supposedly protects you...so like everyone chooses Ohtani to do it then is like “omg ugh I'm so jealous of you!” :/

If any of them die I'm thinking it'll be Kasumi

It said “Brood” instead of “Blood” on the computer lol oops xD :'(
Noodle070Jul 18, 2021 12:12 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 24, 2021 3:36 AM
Aug 2021
Pretty weird yet interesting concept. That dream definitely foreshadowed something dark. Yuri's gotta learn to trust Borg and not be scared of it. I really don't get why the school's making sixth graders capture and kill aliens though. Also something's up with that teacher.

Judging by the lyrics in the OP, this anime is clearly gives a metaphor about growing up, similar to FLCL.
-Facktack-Oct 24, 2021 3:41 AM
Dec 16, 2021 12:18 PM

Oct 2018
Definitely a unique premise with the aliens in the school. Kawamura is hella cute. They are really hinting of the characters turning into alien themselves having contact with the borgs. Moreover, the teacher seems to turn her hair into iron rods of the borgs, probably she was also part of the anti-alien party when she was a student. Leaving all those assumptions aside, the animation is pretty good when it needs to be with a lot of the layouts being put in angular fashion although those don't look as good as it can be.
Mar 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Nov 2012
defo a good first ep, like the premise, and super weird in a interesting kind of way!
Gives me funky forest meets madoka kind of vibes, without the absurd humour I guess of FF but with similar imagery.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Jul 1, 2022 5:11 PM
Jun 2020
Very interesting story, nice artstyle but unfortunately found the voice acting very annoying... Perhaps the manga is better suited to me, or watching it subbed rather than the English dub.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 13, 2023 4:14 AM
Aug 2017
Why the hell are so many people not bothered by the fact that--for no apparent reason--there were scenes of naked little girls? Literally they could've had those scenes (dialogue, interactions etc.) happen without THAT. Idc if it's "not real", it still felt disgusting and creepy for me to see that completely unprompted.
Mar 28, 2023 7:20 PM

Jan 2020
That was... weird as heck. Really had some time without a psychological questioning my sanity.

These alien hats are creepy...

Still, not particularly bad, concept seems good so far.

Ohtani san.
Ohtani san.
Ohtani san.
Ohtani san.
Ohtani san.
eblf2013Mar 28, 2023 7:24 PM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jul 7, 2023 5:27 AM

Dec 2022
Yuri shouldn't have been selected for this job. Why not select the fittest and bravest girls to be part of the alien party? You're sabotaging the efficiency of the party by not selecting the most competent candidates for the job. I'm also curious as to why killing the aliens isn't seen as a desireable outcome, as the aliens are actively trying to kill them. Are the aliens kept alive for experimentation?

The way the borgs wash their backs is something else. Those are some lucky hats.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 19, 2023 11:11 PM

Jun 2021
This anime felt like everything is ok but something is just...uncomfortable, wrong, something creepy you know.
The mc is pretty relatable but i don't know why this anime is in stacks like "characters with autism", she's just too scared for weird unknown extraterrestrial beings like a normal kid.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Mar 6, 7:34 PM
May 2018
This is peak early 2000's anime, wish they had adapted more of the manga, though it would probably be at the cost of quality.
Mar 23, 2:43 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to Seijatachiiii
This is so ahead of it's time, holy shit.
@Seijatachiiii right, Madoka fan in shamble learning about this 2001 anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alien Nine Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

heartpatterned - Aug 2, 2009

63 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 7, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Alien Nine Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 18, 2009

23 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 7, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Alien Nine Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Sep 18, 2009

38 by Fabrizio00 »»
Mar 6, 9:36 PM

» Is it faithful to the manga?

Marfusa - Apr 16, 2019

3 by Damega621 »»
May 31, 2021 9:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.