Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 11, 2014 8:05 AM

May 2013
millie10468 said:
Anime is now 6 out of 26 episodes, manga is barely 6 out of 13 volumes scanlated currently, LN is 13 out of a planned 26 volumes. Whichever way you look at it, I feel it's too early to be complaining that the MC is underdeveloped or that

I'm saying that he is poorly developed now. Maybe author will approach enlightenment and make Tatsuya the best anime character i've ever seen, but at the moment he is just Gary Stu.

alcrowry said:
jakkubus said:

How he isn't strongest?

jakkubusMay 11, 2014 8:08 AM
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
May 11, 2014 8:28 AM
Aug 2012
jakkubus said:

As for being poorly developed, i don't know how far the raws for 9SC(4 chapters are translated) are out yet but if you read through volume 3 and 4 of the LN, you will pretty much eat your own words. You can just wait for them to animate 9SC (starting from episode 8). As Millie10468 said, it's too early to say someone is poorly developed when the story isn't even half finished and you have only seen/read 10% of the story and came across a few spoilers.

May 11, 2014 8:33 AM

Jan 2008
Tatsuya not only is a stud, he also doesn't take it lightly when people get on his lawn. Huh.
May 11, 2014 8:35 AM

Dec 2011
Now that's some intense fighting right from the start of the episode!

Leo and that gauntlet he used were pretty amazing to be honest.

Tatsuya can sense enemies and know where they no matter how big the building it seems, better skills than a feral beast lol.

Now that was some speech Miyuki gave as a lecture to Mibu.

So Erika vs Mibu huh... and the winner is Erkia!

Nice episode and next we'll get to see them storm the HQ of Blanche.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 11, 2014 8:45 AM
Oct 2012
millie10468 said:
Whichever way you look at it, I feel it's too early to be complaining that the MC is underdeveloped

You are a very very patient person.

6 episodes is a very long time, combined it would already be a pretty long movie. It's not that the MC should be fully developed by now, but for Baal's sake, he should at least be made interesting.

Leaving the novels aside and going solely on the animation, does anyone really find Tatsuya a compelling MC? Have any of the other characters been made interesting? Has the plot been interesting (ultimately perhaps, but for an international terrorist organization backed by foreign powers, Blanche has been really blah). I really can't see how anyone, based purely on the first six episodes of this series, can say that this adaptation has been anything other than a miserable waste of time.

That said, it does look as we are starting finally to pick up some steam, so I am hopeful that things will improve in an episode or two and we can all pretend the first six or seven episodes didn't happen.
May 11, 2014 8:49 AM

Feb 2009
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
i don't know how far the raws for 9SC(4 chapters are translated)
Raw is at chapter 7, new chapter in a week or two. Start of the opening ceremony with the introduction of
. Chapter ended with the first incident of the night.
Random answer is random.
May 11, 2014 8:52 AM
Aug 2012
belatkuro said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
i don't know how far the raws for 9SC(4 chapters are translated)
Raw is at chapter 7, new chapter in a week or two. Start of the opening ceremony with the introduction of
. Chapter ended with the first incident of the night.
Random answer is random.

Ah thanks...i just hope they get translated a bit sooner, this and Reminiscence arc.

May 11, 2014 8:56 AM

May 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
jakkubus said:

As for being poorly developed, i don't know how far the raws for 9SC(4 chapters are translated) are out yet but if you read through volume 3 and 4 of the LN, you will pretty much eat your own words. You can just wait for them to animate 9SC (starting from episode 8). As Millie10468 said, it's too early to say someone is poorly developed when the story isn't even half finished and you have only seen/read 10% of the story and came across a few spoilers.

-How it would be equal footing? Can you elaborate?

So maybe can you explain what changed in Light Novel?
May 11, 2014 9:05 AM

Dec 2011
jakkubus said:

alcrowry said:
jakkubus said:

How he isn't strongest?

That's what I think at first, but (I don't know if you already reached this part in the LN. If you haven't and you don't want to get spoiled even more, please ignore this spoiler tag)
May 11, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2013
alcrowry said:
That's what I think at first, but (I don't know if you already reached this part in the LN. If you haven't and you don't want to get spoiled even more, please ignore this spoiler tag)

May 11, 2014 9:22 AM
Aug 2012
jakkubus said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
jakkubus said:

Pardon me if i am wrong but it seems like you are calling him poorly developed just because he is strong. Like i said before forming an assumption when you have read/seen about 10% of the story and heard a few spoilers, isn't really a smart thing to do.

May 11, 2014 9:25 AM

Aug 2011
Oh my god, I have a persecution complex and everyone hates me, so I'm going to become a terrorist! Stupid girl.

Miyuki is such a boring character, all she does is spout the same repetitive bullshit about how fucking great her brother is. It'd be great if she just stopped existing.
May 11, 2014 9:27 AM
Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:
Whichever way you look at it, I feel it's too early to be complaining that the MC is underdeveloped

6 episodes is a very long time, combined it would already be a pretty long movie. It's not that the MC should be fully developed by now, but for Baal's sake, he should at least be made interesting.

Leaving the novels aside and going solely on the animation, does anyone really find Tatsuya a compelling MC? Have any of the other characters been made interesting? Has the plot been interesting (ultimately perhaps, but for an international terrorist organization backed by foreign powers, Blanche has been really blah). I really can't see how anyone, based purely on the first six episodes of this series, can say that this adaptation has been anything other than a miserable waste of time.

That said, it does look as we are starting finally to pick up some steam, so I am hopeful that things will improve in an episode or two and we can all pretend the first six or seven episodes didn't happen.

Different people have different preferences.

I love overpowered characters, emotionless is a big plus and if he is intelligent too, even better.
VocahMay 11, 2014 9:31 AM
May 11, 2014 9:47 AM

May 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
jakkubus said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
jakkubus said:

Pardon me if i am wrong but it seems like you are calling him poorly developed just because he is strong. Like i said before forming an assumption when you have read/seen about 10% of the story and heard a few spoilers, isn't really a smart thing to do.

You are wrong. I don't mind if character is strong and I even like stronger characters. But Tatsuya isn't just overpowered, he is the best in almost everything and don't have any serious flaws. So what so great about him?
May 11, 2014 9:47 AM
Oct 2013
SeibaaHomu said:
That was probably one of the most awkwardly paced anime episodes I've ever seen.

Well, we've long since passed the three episode rule and the season is halfway done so I think it's pretty safe to say that this show's just going to stay bad from beginning to end. And even if it does by some odd coincidence stop being shit at some point the damage has already been well and truly done.

Also Tatsuya is still the biggest faggot in the universe.

Its a 26 ep anime so we are 1/4 through not 1/2 =X
May 11, 2014 9:55 AM
Oct 2013
jiraiya_sensei said:
niknasr said:

Cast jamming of the ring from what I can understand (correct me if I'm wrong) it cancelled the active sequence of the magic and it render the magic unusable at that time.. It's the same as Tatsuya's cast jamming.. I think it's in ep 3/4 when Tatsuya explained about it, in case of Erika after Mibu point that ring towards her, she seem cannot use her self-acceleration magic at that point.. So, more/less the magic is render useless so at that point in the match it's purely skills and abilities of swordsmen.. So, cast jamming is applied to all magic not just long range magic type.. As for Mari, yes I think she is weaker than Erika in terms of pure skills alone heck, she even said in terms of swordplay she's also weaker than Mibu but her magic make up for it.. If you look at previous episode, Tatsuya explained all about why he need to rewrite the sequence to Mizuki because in this First Mahouka Koukou the abilities to perform highly complex and the speed along with it is essential, and automatically denied the importance or priority of the strength although the better you are casting complex spell with faster speed the stronger you are.. In this case Erika and Tatsuya both only have talent for simple spell, if they want to do a complex spell they have to invest too much time writing active sequence which will hinder for instance magic formation or so when he is in the military.. So, in terms of that alone, the school has no need to re-evaluate it.. But they have the skills to back their lack of magic but you cannot say the same to all Course 2 students, so this cannot be use as an argument.. That's why a set evaluation have been establish to divide the students.. So, in simple terms it is talented vs not-talented, that's what I can get from the anime..

Having the ability to cast complex magic doesn't seem to be that advantageous to me. Hattori was supposedly a top magic combatant but he mostly lost because can't keep up with Tatsuya's speed. Even if Tatsuya didn't knocked him out using magic, he could easily defeat him with physical attack. Same with Mari, even though as Alcowry said her magic is a lot stronger than Erika it remains to be seen if that's enough to overcome Erika's physical & sword-skill superiority. Mari aside, it's also possible that she can defeat most course 1 students even if she's just using simple magic.

In the end of the day, it all comes back to the purpose of Magic High School. The impression that I got is magicians are mostly used as soldiers and thus overall combat ability should be the priority. Instead of dividing based on who can use write magic sequence faster (which doesn't necessarily make the magician stronger), it's probably better to divide them based on their specialties. It's just ridiculous to have course 1 students discriminating course 2 students while once in a while you get some special cases like Tatsuya, Leo, or Erika who can easily trump most course 1 students. Perhaps they could even make a special class where all the specialized magicians gather. The problem with these people are they don't exactly belong to course 1 but also can't be considered untalented that they end up in course 2.

It seems we have a different opinion in determining highly complex spell value.. For me, the higher the complexity of the spell the wider the variation of magic they can use such as control the air pressure, or even control the nature in set amount of time.. It made them really OP if nurtured good enough.. The reason why I think the divison (Bloom and Weed) is not a really a big deal is because the division is solely determined by their aptitude and capacity of magic, I don't know how they being measured but the examination is by no means determine by fluke so they deserved to be in their respective division.. And with the lack of trainers, of course the school want to focus their utmost effort in teaching to the one they can think nurtured into the one I said earlier (control the nature or something with their natural-born talent) in this case the Bloom have the most potential to reach that.. Let me remind you also, that there is no one-man army, the army is made by many battalions or so.. So, I think they want to nurtured every single bloom to at least become a decent soldier in the future (you can also say they sacrificed qualities for quantities).. As for Tatsuya and Erika got a specialized class, I honestly think they didn't really need to because of, besides Tatsuya no one else have I seen confronting Bloom in a full fight.. And need to remind you there is no evidence whatsoever Erika will win against Mari if they have a fight.. I also believed the one Erika and Leo fights in this episode only Weeds and just some non-magic combatant fodder.. So, to make a full assumptions as whether Erika and Leo is really great that they deserved specialized class still under consideration although I also would like to say, they have what it takes and their strength is consider superhuman..
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
May 11, 2014 9:56 AM

Dec 2011
jakkubus said:
alcrowry said:

May 11, 2014 9:59 AM

Oct 2013
Best episode of MKNR so far but there's a lot more to come. ^^
The action was all around the place in the first half of this ep.

BAness was overloaded in this episode. Tatsuya's sight, Erika's kenjutsu, Leo's Panzer and Miyuki being the ice-cold queen.

Loved it how Tatsuya told Mibu that she was being used. Although his dialogues are less but I love them.
Dat naked Miyuki was lovely. *A* But those scars on Tatsuya's body looked so cool!!

Wow Erika being so BA in this episode too! her favorites will be shot up soon. ^^
Well, Tatsuya in action next episode, can't wait now..so hyped!
May 11, 2014 10:09 AM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

The first arc covers 2 volumes out of a possible 20-30 volumes thus we've barely scratched the surface yet. Like I've said before the first arc is the weakest, it's slow paced, has little character development and little action. It's primary objective is to introduce. So no it's not exactly a waste of time, it's quite unfortunate that you think so.
AzlanMay 11, 2014 10:48 AM
May 11, 2014 10:15 AM
Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
millie10468 said:

Its the issue with anime at LN adaption, novel are meant to be long and slow building, the LB is at 13 vol and its half way through so we getting 26-30 vol total. So yes 2vol out of 26/30 is barely anything XD Idk its just hard to adapt these things I guess speically if the pacing doesn't match ways anime do it.

@Dragon_Slayer_X I agree its, people too used to development as getting stronger, I personally enjoy where MC is already strong and its how the MC changes as he progresses toward his goal and stuff. To be honest this can be counted as a drama and thriller more than action.
May 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Mar 2014
Decent episode compared to the previous ones..it was about time it picked up action
May 11, 2014 10:47 AM
Aug 2012
RexZShadow said:

@Dragon_Slayer_X I agree its, people too used to development as getting stronger, I personally enjoy where MC is already strong and its how the MC changes as he progresses toward his goal and stuff. To be honest this can be counted as a drama and thriller more than action.

I enjoy it both ways tbh.....as long as the development is done well. Tatsuya's development in the LN has been pretty enjoyable.

May 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Sep 2008
Soooo, what was the terrorists plan in the end?

Get super-secret data with bunch of untrained, undisciplined rookies while making every single high-school student hate them in process?
Lose debate by not even having debate in the first place?

These guys are idiots. People can repeat "great action" as much as they want, but I can't find ANY enjoyment in action when opponents are not capable of making basic stuff right, such as preparing and thinking.

"Sir, what do we do to attack university filled with mages?"

"Equip our guys with guns, attack congress where debate about how oppressed our supporters are, of course while most of people there are the ones we're trying to convert to our side and send 3 guys with pistol, and nothng else, to a library to steal secret data!."

"My God, you're a genius sir!".

Sigh, I can't wait for war or whatever that nonsense in first episode flash was, maybe someone interesting is gonna happen to this show.

If I didn't like premise so much I'd drop this at this episode.

Also, Tatsuya is the very definition of character I love, badass, smart, strong and so on, but what good is that when the others are such as they are.
It's like an adult being strongest guy in kindergarten, except kids in kindergarten are probably smarter than most guys in this terrorist organisation.
May 11, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2011
I can't get over how bad the character design for the counselor with the ginormous boobs is. It's downright cringeworthy.
May 11, 2014 1:54 PM
Aug 2012
nina4life said:
-snip

Ever heard of something called distraction or decoy strategy? Because that's pretty much what was used here.

Better drop this now......some of us also get tired of the same complains every episode thread. You know what the threads look like when you guys whine and we try to counter............two kids fighting over something trivial and wasting the time they could have enjoyed playing together. But hey who cares about that, some people just have to complain about every single detail.............right?

May 11, 2014 2:51 PM

Sep 2008
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
nina4life said:
complaining
defending

Distraction would be a valid tactic if not for few things, which are NOT small things and, as a matter of fact, completelly ruin any immersion or thrill of action.

1. The ones sent as distraction attacked hall composed mostly, if not entirely, of weeds, the same guys you are trying to recruit. Attacking possible allies makes no sense. Ever. Especially not in this case where most of your soldiers are useless in fight against mages.

2. The 3 guys and Miba sent as "infiltration" group were hackers, which does make sense, kudos for that. What doesn't make sense is their escort. Escorts are, usually anyway, made of best fighters since hackers and, again usually, unable to protect themselves adequatelly. The escort team here reacted to students with "Who are you?", before getting one-shot to the ground.
"Who are you?" coming from group defending hacker group....either bad writing or flat our lazy adaptation if LN had that part differently. I don't know which, I don't care which. Just horrible.

3. You won't see talibans organize huge meeting of Muslims (my apology for using actual religion, if anyone feels insulted I'll edit it) which almost feel like they should rise for their rights only to bomb those same guys as distraction. No, they'll actually prepare their case and present it to potential allies and maybe after all is done bomb the place after recruiting a few new guys.
Blanche, with their actions, completelly killed any possibility of recruiting new students. Completelly. I mean, you just tried to kill them while they were listening to reasons to join you.

I could go on some more about incredibly stupid fight plan but if those 3 things I just stated are "whining about trivial things" then don't even bother reading my comments in the future. Just ignore me and move on. I am definitely gonna keep commenting, both on good and bad elements.
May 11, 2014 3:11 PM
Aug 2012
nina4life said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
nina4life said:
complaining
defending

Distraction would be a valid tactic if not for few things, which are NOT small things and, as a matter of fact, completelly ruin any immersion or thrill of action.

1. The ones sent as distraction attacked hall composed mostly, if not entirely, of weeds, the same guys you are trying to recruit. Attacking possible allies makes no sense. Ever. Especially not in this case where most of your soldiers are useless in fight against mages.

2. The 3 guys and Miba sent as "infiltration" group were hackers, which does make sense, kudos for that. What doesn't make sense is their escort. Escorts are, usually anyway, made of best fighters since hackers and, again usually, unable to protect themselves adequatelly. The escort team here reacted to students with "Who are you?", before getting one-shot to the ground.
"Who are you?" coming from group defending hacker group....either bad writing or flat our lazy adaptation if LN had that part differently. I don't know which, I don't care which. Just horrible.

3. You won't see talibans organize huge meeting of Muslims (my apology for using actual religion, if anyone feels insulted I'll edit it) which almost feel like they should rise for their rights only to bomb those same guys as distraction. No, they'll actually prepare their case and present it to potential allies and maybe after all is done bomb the place after recruiting a few new guys.
Blanche, with their actions, completelly killed any possibility of recruiting new students. Completelly. I mean, you just tried to kill them while they were listening to reasons to join you.

I could go on some more about incredibly stupid fight plan but if those 3 things I just stated are "whining about trivial things" then don't even bother reading my comments in the future. Just ignore me and move on. I am definitely gonna keep commenting, both on good and bad elements.

Sigh.....

1) Were they really trying to recruit all the course 2 students? Not really, they needed a few suitable pawns. Those pawns were supposed to create some havoc and disable magic usage(antinite rings duh) while the terrorist would attack and take over with possible hostages. But since the pawns were caught before doing anything, the plan failed. pretty easy unless you want to complain.

2) It does make sense........you need hackers to break into the system and download data. There were guards outside (described by Tatsuya and taken out by Erika btw since you have missed it). Also Mibu is a strong close combat fighter with an antinite ring. She can use cast jamming and take care of any intruders if needed.

About this trivial thing "Who are you" reaction.......dude the plan was to create distractions everywhere and steal research data in the confusion. Even if somebody got through, the guards were supposed to take care of them. So someone suddenly appearing and destroying the stolen research data like nothing would be pretty shocking and that was a pretty normal reaction. Also Miyuki completely froze his hand when he was trying to pull the trigger so this part is just your own delusion. Stop twisting facts just to complain.

3) They were made to listen.........watch the next episode. You will learn how they did it.

Don't bother replying because you did actually whine about trivial things just because you felt like it. Keep commenting though, i do get entertainment from pointless whining intellectual comments time to time.......make me feel better that i can enjoy anime unlike some people.

May 11, 2014 3:15 PM

Dec 2010
pacify said:
Nilfheim wasnt as i expected, from what i remember is she completely freezes all the people, almost killing them. In this all she did was give the dude frost bite on his hand...

Next episode bro
May 11, 2014 3:26 PM
Oct 2012
nina4life said:
Escorts are, usually anyway, made of best fighters since hackers and, again usually, unable to protect themselves adequatelly. The escort team here reacted to students with "Who are you?", before getting one-shot to the ground.

Blanche being backed by an international organization might have felt that it was worth the risk to lose the support of the weeds in order to gain Japan's magic research. Given how important magic is, that they were willing to use all the weeds as a distraction is not a surprise.

However your 2nd point was spot on. Given that Blanche decided to go "all in" so to speak, that they didn't have their strongest, most trained, members on the infiltration team is laughable; even worse while they had access to all sorts of advance weaponry at the beginning of the attack, they suddenly decided to switch to "swords and batons". Erika would have been one dead nondescript minor character had she suddenly jumped out like that in any reasonable situation.

And in that they had guards, why exactly did they close the library door? Wouldn't they want to hear if their guards were being attacked? And then not to have someone guarding the door way from the inside?
Does the word "sniper" not belong in this international terrorist organization's vocabulary.

I think the swords annoyed me the most, because you can see the author's thought process (one I guess he picked up from Bakuman): "Japanese readers like swords, you have to have one." So they have swords, but then the writer doesn't even bother to take that extra step to justify this use (if they did, please tell me where, because I can think of several different reasons for there to be swords, none of which would have taken more than 10 seconds to explain so I am quite baffled that they didn't even try to, so I am hoping that I just missed it).
May 11, 2014 3:44 PM
Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

However your 2nd point was spot on. Given that Blanche decided to go "all in" so to speak, that they didn't have their strongest, most trained, members on the infiltration team is laughable; even worse while they had access to all sorts of advance weaponry at the beginning of the attack, they suddenly decided to switch to "swords and batons". Erika would have been one dead nondescript minor character had she suddenly jumped out like that in any reasonable situation.

And in that they had guards, why exactly did they close the library door? Wouldn't they want to hear if their guards were being attacked? And then not to have someone guarding the door way from the inside?
Does the word "sniper" not belong in this international terrorist organization's vocabulary.

I think the swords annoyed me the most, because you can see the author's thought process (one I guess he picked up from Bakuman): "Japanese readers like swords, you have to have one." So they have swords, but then the writer doesn't even bother to take that extra step to justify this use (if they did, please tell me where, because I can think of several different reasons for there to be swords, none of which would have taken more than 10 seconds to explain so I am quite baffled that they didn't even try to, so I am hoping that I just missed it).

Have you even seen Erika's speed.......she would have dodged it. Cast Jamming can't be activated too far away so they have to close the gap and quickly take out the magicians during that time. Also guns need reloading, enough time for the magicians to take them out.

The only flaw that i would agree on is keeping the door closed part. Even so they could just use communicators. The terrorist thought they can do everything according to plan but the first stage was ruined (the part after the speech).

Also the only people using swords were student.............kendo club students most probably. There are also baton and sword shaped cads heavily used in police force and military.

May 11, 2014 3:48 PM

Sep 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
nina4life said:
Escorts are, usually anyway, made of best fighters since hackers and, again usually, unable to protect themselves adequatelly. The escort team here reacted to students with "Who are you?", before getting one-shot to the ground.

Blanche being backed by an international organization might have felt that it was worth the risk to lose the support of the weeds in order to gain Japan's magic research. Given how important magic is, that they were willing to use all the weeds as a distraction is not a surprise.

Now that you mention it, yeah, I guess you are right. It was mentioned they might be involved with foreign organization so it could possibly be the case.
However, I still think it could have and should have been handled in better manner, for after all, pawns, no matter how small and weak, are always useful to have.

My 2nd point stands though, escort for such a big heist had to be better. Closing doors part doesn't bother me, I actually think it makes sense when hiding from sight and if students didn't have the ability to detect them it would buy time for them to finish.
May 11, 2014 4:13 PM

Dec 2010
jakkubus said:
Eh, without Tatsuya show really would be much better. Some fans may say that he's awesome, but for me he is just annoying Gary Stu.

And those terrorists. Who is leading them? Because the one, which is doing that, definitely is an idiot.

Funny
May 11, 2014 4:15 PM
Oct 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Have you even seen Erika's speed.......she would have dodged it.

So she is faster than a speeding bullet? Where have they shown that before? If she were that fast, then again she would not be a weed. If she was that fast she could take down ANY magician before they could cast a spell (as Tatsuya did in the second episode - I remember how people were arguing that he wasn't really that fast, but now Erika apparently is).

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Also the only people using swords were student.............kendo club students most probably. There are also baton and sword shaped cads heavily used in police force and military.

That is because the police use is supposed to be non lethal. Terrorists are under so such mandate; now I can understand that maybe the students didn't want to hurt other students, but that wasn't the case during the initial attack so why the sudden change (if not for the magic users scores of students would have been killed at the meeting).

And even IF most of Blanche were students, there is no way the infiltration party would have been. Frankly that they even had Mibu with them made no sense. They would have only used the most loyal and dedicated people for that part of the mission.

Nina4life. As for the doors, why were they "hiding from sight"? Who could have stumbled upon them when they had guards on the stairwell? They would have had plenty of time to close the doors if they heard their guards fighting below.

I know this is a small thing, but it is indicative of the entire terrorist attack. Swords would have made sense if they were concerned about harming students, but they weren't concerned so the swords made no sense. Their fumbling nature may made sense if they were all students, however why would mere students want to steal all of Japan's military secrets (even Mibu had trouble getting that point), this pointed to the infiltration being actual Blanche agents, not just shields, but again they didn't act like agents.

The guards were positioned relatively far from the hackers, would make sense if the staircase was the only way to the hackers, but if that was the case then they wouldn't have needed to close the door, all that succeeded in doing was to ensure that they would be caught off guard by a counter attack (and give Miyuki her "cool" entrance.

And the point about guns vs swords is that when you are fighting against magicians you have to hit them first without warning. That is what snipers could do. Cast Jamming up close, maybe have those guys use batons, but one or two snipers could had a field day against the magicians. It was as if there was no one with the ability to have tactics or strategy in Blanche, but they are supposed to be an international terrorist organization and they certain had some strategic thinking in the launching of the attack.
May 11, 2014 4:33 PM
Apr 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
nina4life said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
nina4life said:
complaining
defending

Sigh.....

1) Were they really trying to recruit all the course 2 students? Not really, they needed a few suitable pawns. Those pawns were supposed to create some havoc and disable magic usage(antinite rings duh) while the terrorist would attack and take over with possible hostages. But since the pawns were caught before doing anything, the plan failed. pretty easy unless you want to complain.

2) It does make sense........you need hackers to break into the system and download data. There were guards outside (described by Tatsuya and taken out by Erika btw since you have missed it). Also Mibu is a strong close combat fighter with an antinite ring. She can use cast jamming and take care of any intruders if needed.

About this trivial thing "Who are you" reaction.......dude the plan was to create distractions everywhere and steal research data in the confusion. Even if somebody got through, the guards were supposed to take care of them. So someone suddenly appearing and destroying the stolen research data like nothing would be pretty shocking and that was a pretty normal reaction. Also Miyuki completely froze his hand when he was trying to pull the trigger so this part is just your own delusion. Stop twisting facts just to complain.

3) They were made to listen.........watch the next episode. You will learn how they did it.

Don't bother replying because you did actually whine about trivial things just because you felt like it. Keep commenting though, i do get entertainment from pointless whining intellectual comments time to time.......make me feel better that i can enjoy anime unlike some people.

Jesus fuck dude, calm the fuck down. I lurk in these boards sometimes and i already know you're a tad obsessive about anime Magic School but still, don't get your panties in a twist every damn time someone badmouth your favorite show.

Let's get some things straight, since you love a clash: The work called "Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei" is bad, factual bad, pop-corn entertainment at best. When i say work, i mean the LN, manga and anime. It's bad. The success it gets it's very, VERY derived from the nature of the MC and target demography. A self-inserted power fantasy, where the lead has so little in terms of personality that anyone can re-imagine himself in his place. It's bad writing. It's not literature, its trash. My opinion has NOTHING, absolutely nothing with "lol hater" and everything to do with taste and experience. With that out of the way, you can STILL ENJOY TRASH.

If a work is objectively good or bad, it's measurable by facts, but entertainment is a subjective and personal factor. And that's the point of my rant. I don't have problem with people liking or enjoying the show, far from it. I do disagree when people insist it's the best thing ever since sliced bread when they come from anime/manga enviroment without knowing fuck all about good literature works.

Do yourself a favor and read Brent Weeks (The Way of Shadows) , Peter V. Brett (Demon Cycle trilogy) Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire), Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy), anything rather than a LN and be blown away.
May 11, 2014 5:05 PM

May 2010
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Also guns need reloading, enough time for the magicians to take them out.

I don't care much for the other excuses you give, but this one is the I have to correct you on. It takes about a second to reload with trained hands. Three seconds at most in a live combat situation. Couple it with the fact there is something called covering fire when squadmates are reloading ("COVER ME I'M RELOADING"). So in the meanwhile you have some people reloading, the mages would still get a hail of bullets flying at them from covering/suppressive fire. The idea is to not let them move from their current positions.

See video below for a general idea of how fast a reload can go (and this guy's not even going for speed). And you have hundreds of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISkxlkF6hOw#t=89
May 11, 2014 6:48 PM
Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Also guns need reloading, enough time for the magicians to take them out.

I don't care much for the other excuses you give, but this one is the I have to correct you on. It takes about a second to reload with trained hands. Three seconds at most in a live combat situation. Couple it with the fact there is something called covering fire when squadmates are reloading ("COVER ME I'M RELOADING"). So in the meanwhile you have some people reloading, the mages would still get a hail of bullets flying at them from covering/suppressive fire. The idea is to not let them move from their current positions.

See video below for a general idea of how fast a reload can go (and this guy's not even going for speed). And you have hundreds of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISkxlkF6hOw#t=89

Same thing apply to magician, magic doesn't need to relog and can be casted by good magician in under a second, they can also cover each other while other person take them out.

@Takuan_Soho there are 2 groups the students they got on their side and merc or other people thats not the students. Those people don't give a fuck who dies or what not thats why they going full lethal but the students themselves don't want to hurt the other students well not kill them anyways.
May 11, 2014 6:49 PM
Jun 2013
jakkubus said:

How he isn't smartest?

How he isn't strongest?

I already know explanation of his emotional problem, but it really can't be considered as hindrance. He isn't OP, he is just poorly developed character.

yes he's the smartest and the strongest. however smartest and strongest can't win everything.
he want to create better world.

similar with LELOUCH Code Geass
power alone can't do anything. smart also can't win everything.
Country vs Country.
Humanist vs Magician similar with Natural vs Coordinator in Gundam Seed.

Racist everywhere and that's the main point in this series.
May 11, 2014 7:14 PM
May 2014
"It's primary objective is to introduce."

"novel are meant to be long and slow building"

What?

If you guys hope to become published authors one day, good luck. Seriously.
h1k1k0m0r1May 11, 2014 7:22 PM
May 11, 2014 7:33 PM
Oct 2013
h1k1k0m0r1 said:
"It's primary objective is to introduce."

"novel are meant to be long and slow building"

What?

If you guys hope to become published authors one day, good luck. Seriously.

Ofc doesn't apply to all books but there are many series that takes its time to build up. Have you seen the LN? they are a really really really light read finish reading both first and second vol easy in like few hours.

Not like 2 1000 page books or something, maybe 400-500 pages tops combined with just the first 2 vol.
May 11, 2014 8:27 PM

May 2013
Sayaka just misunderstands everything. Ahahaha.
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 11, 2014 8:29 PM
Aug 2013
First episode of what has been ridiculously bad anime that's actually worth something. If it keeps up like this, it can actually be good. I hope the second arc wont turn out to be the same (4-5 episodes of complete shit) as the first one.
May 11, 2014 11:36 PM
Aug 2012
Jaimes said:
-snip-

Dude since you lurk in the forums, you must have also noticed i don't argue with everyone badmouthing the show, only some people who complain time and again. Before you give me lectures about obsessiveness and suggest reading material and calling something trash just because you DISLIKE it, you should also to say something to the people complaining for the sake of complaining.If i loved clashes, i would've just gone to every threads of the shows i disliked and complained just to annoy the fans. Or you just notice the fanboys here because of your bias or you just felt like showing off? You don't have anything to say about people calling it the "worst thing they have seen or read"?

Anyway, cut the elitism act and mind your own business, i am pretty sure you haven't read the LN and if you didn't like it that's none of my business. I don't feel like calling something trash just because i dislike it and anime aren't the only thing i watch. I can enjoy different stuff be it anime, cartoon, movies, games, novels, LN, manga........i don't need to say 'x' is better than 'y' just to show off.

Takuan_Soho said:
-snip-

Just because she can use personal acceleration magic doesn't mean she will be course 1 by default. I thought i told you the difference between course 1 and 2 student in earlier threads or did i write all that for nothing? Also even among combat magician, Erika is pretty strong. You will see her in action (with most of the cast) in Yokohoma arc. Personal Acceleration magic is nothing to laugh about. I think you are messing up invocation speed and the actual use of magic.

Was the initial attack meant to kill or take the people in the Assembly as hostages? It depends on your perspective. If they wanted to kill they would've used poison gas not a smoke bomb. You can easily distinguish how many students were there, as they had their uniforms. About Mibu, she and other student were kind of forced (see next episode).........so i don't see problem there.They weren't agents, the student were led astray and just pawns. Also the guards were in ambush positions but that didn't really work (ES).

There are sword shaped cads, they can be used for both for using magic and taking down opponent lethally/non-lethally. The terrorists used daggers so how a few sword-shaped cads used by students is bothering you i don't have any idea. As for Blanche issue, this is only Blanche's Japanese branch. Not all leaders can be competent. As for snipers, magicians have innate data fortification, can change the vector of bullet or put up defensive magic. Besides putting a sniper in that corridor would have stuck out like a sore thumb. But let's go with you and say that it's a problem that they didn't have a sniper. It really wouldn't have made much of a difference on the outcome.
Dragon_Slayer_XMay 11, 2014 11:40 PM

May 12, 2014 12:38 AM

Feb 2014
Just don't underestimating course 2 student because they are a reserve...

It is just the school method for testing the students is too rigid. That is why Tatsuya being weak(course 2) is just bullshit.

Anyway. The Terrorist is just a bunch of idiots. That's it...If you know Dota, they are just AI which is too easy to beat. Given they have international reputation, That is just so stupid. A bad way to introduces story and characters.

Tatsuya basically the strongest and stomps all of his enemies.

As far as LN goes, there is still no enemy who can make the battle vs Tatsuya interesting. So if you seeking that, just drop this show right now..--

Overpowered not much a problem for me, but it is Tatsuya is a walking robot... He just not fit to be an MC at all, Leo is much better than Tatsuya.
May 12, 2014 4:25 AM

Oct 2013
Finally some action in this anime! now I'm excited for next week's episode :D!
May 12, 2014 4:31 AM
May 2014
Dunno why, but why don't the haters just drop this issue?

Is it fun just to argue each other? ==a

What I understand here is, every people has its own preferences, and I have to respect that.
May 12, 2014 5:20 AM

Sep 2008
EscaLuine said:
Dunno why, but why don't the haters just drop this issue?

Is it fun just to argue each other? ==a

What I understand here is, every people has its own preferences, and I have to respect that.

This anime is not that bad to be dropped. As a matter of fact it has really good idea, possibly great intrigues in the world and interesting magic system.
Problem is there are many, many issues with it and many people, myself included, point out to it.
Some of our points are valid, some are not. Some people explain things nicely, some resort to personal insults before explaining. That's the nature of any show with big following.

It's not as much arguing as it is not seeing eye-to-eye.
Take for example a certain person here that responds to every criticism here, he's sometimes gonna explain what people ask but most of the time he'll just bash other person while not acknowledging any shortcomings of the show.
On the other side are people such as myself and many more, which while understand show has many good points, and it really does, will point out only flaws.

Why do I only point out flaws? Well, because this is very popular show, it had huge crowd even before it started airing and you'll notice many people defending it with all their might.

Neither are correct and neither are wrong.

It really is unfortunate this show didn't get past all the arguing about some of the flaws, because behind it all is a hidden gem. I truly believe in that.

And this is why both sides are wrong. We who attack the show do it because those who only defend the show can't see other side of the argument and even when presented with strong case of other side they rather resort to personal insult or keep saying "wait next episodes".

If "defenders" accepted this show for what it is, a flawed show with much potential I think all trolls/whiners/haters would actually start discussing other things, such as discrimination, magic system, school system etc.
If "attackers" accepted fans of the show are not gonna accept any criticism and just tried discussing show with those willing to listen we'd probably move past all this so far.

Unfortunately neither side is gonna budge and we're stuck with what we have.

Good thread:
"This show has done X, Y and Z bad"
"*explained* X and Y, accepted Z is not done well"
*discussion proceeds about actual show*

instead here:
"This show has done X, Y and Z bad"
"No, you idiot, X, Y and Z are flawless, you're too stupid to understand because you keep whining"
"Ehm, no, X, Y and Z really are bad..."
Rinse and repeat.

Sad, but this is not the first nor the last time it happened.
May 12, 2014 6:23 AM

Mar 2012
RexZShadow said:
SeibaaHomu said:
That was probably one of the most awkwardly paced anime episodes I've ever seen.

Well, we've long since passed the three episode rule and the season is halfway done so I think it's pretty safe to say that this show's just going to stay bad from beginning to end. And even if it does by some odd coincidence stop being shit at some point the damage has already been well and truly done.

Also Tatsuya is still the biggest faggot in the universe.

Its a 26 ep anime so we are 1/4 through not 1/2 =X
I said half a season. Not half of this show.
May 12, 2014 11:54 AM

Dec 2010
MShukyDeneuve said:
Just don't underestimating course 2 student because they are a reserve...

It is just the school method for testing the students is too rigid. That is why Tatsuya being weak(course 2) is just bullshit.

There's not enough human resources for another course besides course 1, they lack teachers, that's why only the very best, course 1 students have teachers, yet the country needs to output most magicians it possibly can due the high rate of retired magicians per year, for starters any sort of trauma be it physical or psychological can potentially impair or make magicians unable to use magic, that's why there's a course 2, reserves, besides not having teachers course 2 students are not supposed to receive any different treatment before course conclusion, but in order to graduate course 2 students have the obligation to produce definite results at the end of course, without that they can't graduate from magic high school but only from normal high school instead.
May 12, 2014 11:56 AM

Dec 2013
Woah I see a lot of flame flying left and right here.

I always thought that the assessment for your magical skills designation was a mix of practical and written skills. If that were the case, then wouldn't that explain why Erika, Tatsuya and Leo are in the Weeds group?

I mean, in terms of (a) practical and (b) technical know-how, Tatsuya is pretty much 100% on (b), but probably a 10% in (a)? For Erika and Leo it might be the other way around, where they have maybe a 40-50% in (a) but below 50% in (b)? If we think about it this way, then slightly above average students with scores ranging above 120% would be enough to attain a higher score than Tatsuya and become a Bloom whilst pushing Tatsuya into the Weed section. Considering that there are only 200 placements with half on each side, wouldn't that make sense?
Also, taking into consideration that if a Bloom fails/dies/drops out/etc, then the next best Weed would be there to take his place. That is to say there should be a ranking amongst the Weeds as well, no?
Who knows, maybe the reason why Tatsuya is being hated is because he's ranked No. 1 in the Weeds section, and the next in line to jump to the Bloom course if someone on their side fails. I don't think the manga have actually addressed that point thus far.

In any case, I am in support of this title because I enjoyed the manga and some of the LN immensely (am not up to speed on this). I think the anime could have been done better in certain instances (I didn't appreciate that they dragged out the hospital and preparation for the Blanche assault in the second half of this episode, they could have extended the fighting scenes from the first half instead imho). Nonetheless I look forward to the next episode as it will be an OP massacre, and we will finally begin with an arc where the story will start moving forward somewhat.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 12, 2014 12:03 PM

Dec 2010
L-Ryoshi said:
Woah I see a lot of flame flying left and right here.

I always thought that the assessment for your magical skills designation was a mix of practical and written skills. If that were the case, then wouldn't that explain why Erika, Tatsuya and Leo are in the Weeds group?

Written skill is extremely undervalued and Tatsuya is very bad at normal magic, while Leon and Erika aren't that bad they are most likely very bad at magic theory.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.