Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 18, 2021 3:27 PM

Dec 2021
My god, this was surely the best episode for now. Registically it was just on another level, also i finally start to see where this is going and i'm loving it, seems like we're going full into spokon deconstruction. "Where i did wrong? What was my mistake?" and the answer is nothing, you simply weren't gifted, there's no friendship, effort and victory for you. Anyone that fell short in anything despite their effort (there's someone that didn't?) cannot but empathize with a character we were drawn to hate until immediatly before. Tsukimoto tho is way colder than i thought, but i guess when you present a character as smileless and seemingly emotionless it would be incoherent not to make him act that way. What felt weird is the fact that supposedly he hold back because of his empathy toward others. Maybe his training to become competitive is also making him too unempathic?
Oznerol7Dec 18, 2021 3:30 PM
Dec 18, 2021 3:33 PM

Dec 2021
Atavistic said:
Why does Tsukimoto's stance on and overall approach to ping pong seem to change constantly without any rhyme or reason? One minute he doesn't care about winning or trying, next he's mocking others as not being good enough or worth his time. It feels like most of his development is taking place offscreen and that we're just seeing the end result here and there, whereas the development of characters like Kong, Peco, Kazama and even Sakuma feels far better-executed and much easier to understand even though they aren't the main character.

Gotta agree, i think it may have something to do with him trying to become "the machine" he see himself while playing, since it seems empathy toward others (and specifically Peco) was the thing holding him down. But yeah wouldn't have hurt to see some of this development, i don't get why the hell Yuasa always need to make his series so short lol
Jan 31, 2022 6:54 PM

Mar 2021
Why are they saying Peco put on weight? It almost looks like he lost some weight instead - at least in the face. Strange...

Dang, Smile telling it like it is in the end...
MeanMrMusicianJan 31, 2022 7:07 PM
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Feb 2, 2022 2:07 AM

Jan 2022
Maybe I missed what Smile's motivation is to suddenly give a shit... is it spite? Is it "might as well see how far I can push this"? Does he deep down, in the same place this empathy is supposedly hiding, have a drive to see himself putting his all into the game?
Feb 24, 2022 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
This anime continues to surprise me. It's been a while since I've been this excited and engrossed in a show. Enjoy how the series started out fun and light, now it has layers and development. Didn't expect that Wenge would become a favorite. That ending with Peco, wow. Sad to see him and Makoto drifting apart.
Mar 23, 2022 10:05 AM
Nov 2020
Holy what happened to hoshino-
Jun 20, 2022 3:02 PM

Dec 2021
what a profound outro for this episode

puts in perspective how different characters are taking the InterHigh tourney ,, and how they cope with loss

Wenge is starting his development arc , becoming more of a leader and team player ... he still misses his couch , tho understandable

Peco is smoking and slacking .. completely gave up on the sport

Demon ,, who trains obsessively , doesn't have the natural talent to carry him to the top .. losing to a childhood friend he once viewed as unworthy led to his self-sabotage ..

Smile .. becoming more of a machine by the day ,, but its alienating him from the team and his friends ...

I never understood Dragon's teammate who's obsessed with his girlfriend .. but he's the fake friend archetype , one who's suppose to throw Dragon off his game .. an internal conflict like Ceaser in Rome , or Hesus and the 12 Disciples
Aug 24, 2022 12:28 AM

Jun 2020
Another great episode. Very well directed. I love the cinematography and framing.

Jan 1, 2023 4:08 PM

Jan 2021
Smile totally broke Sakuma's life dream on this one, still he is too arrogant, both of them are.
(Cool info I got from other fan so credit tohim)
On 12:00 minute exactly
The poster in Sakuma's dorm room depicts Kōkichi Tsuburaya, a Japanese marathoner who committed suicide four years after being passed in the final stretch of a 1964 Olympic event. Suffering from back problems and unable to live with the shame of losing, he was found dead in a dorm room clutching his bronze medal. Sanada finds this poster disturbing, showing that Sakuma is (metaphorically) willing, or prepared, to die for table tennis. :)

Jan 12, 2023 4:43 AM

Oct 2018
The subtlety of the scene with Kong's mother is probably my favorite scene in the entire anime.

Sakuma got cooked.
Mar 14, 2023 3:40 AM

Dec 2020
Kong is slowly becoming my favourite character from this anime. I hope we can see more of him!

And welp. Sakuma has been forced to give up and Peco has given up on table tennis. 
Apr 7, 2023 11:51 AM
Mar 2023
animation headache
May 1, 2023 8:23 AM

Mar 2008
ZUTl said:
(Cool info I got from other fan so credit tohim)
On 12:00 minute exactly
The poster in Sakuma's dorm room depicts Kōkichi Tsuburaya, a Japanese marathoner who committed suicide four years after being passed in the final stretch of a 1964 Olympic event. Suffering from back problems and unable to live with the shame of losing, he was found dead in a dorm room clutching his bronze medal. Sanada finds this poster disturbing, showing that Sakuma is (metaphorically) willing, or prepared, to die for table tennis. :)
This is from my release of the show & the translation/cultural notes I wrote up to along with it :)

https://frozenpandaman.github.io/ppta/references.txt

Thanks!
Jul 31, 2023 2:21 AM
Jul 2020
relatable talentless character
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

395 by Gojo_Sensai12 »»
Feb 18, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.