Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
May 5, 2014 2:47 AM
Apr 2014
So many people think this anime is boring, someone should hand them a picture book or something. This is one of the coolest animes I've ever seen.
May 5, 2014 3:01 AM

Nov 2013
Much, much better than last week.
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
May 5, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2011
LGHyourinmaru said:
To drop, or not to drop.

Drop that shit faster than diarrhea during an upset stomach yo.
May 5, 2014 9:26 AM

Dec 2013
Why does everyone here say the next episode will end the enrollment arc? I thought it was already confirmed that this arc was going to take 7 episodes. If they animate the entire occupation and fight sequences, and perhaps the explanation about how the student council had already implemented counter-measures for that surprise attack at the end of this episode, I think it would be absolutely perfect pacing for the end of this arc on ep 7.

That said, Mayumi's speech was a lot better than what they had in the manga at least, but at the same time the atmosphere of the debate didn't seem to fit with what was described in the LN or the manga (she owned all their arguments with logic and gained all the normal Class 2 students respect, I didn't see it that way in the anime). All the tactical positioning before the debate and preparations for the expected attack weren't really shown as much as in other sources either, making all the capturing of students at the end just a sudden, on-the-spot thing, and less impressive than it should have been.

The preview kind of showed the Magic students getting owned by regular mercs, which is NOT what happened in the books.... The regular mercs got their butts handed to them. I really hope they didn't animate it like that just for a bit of leveling of the playing field... it just doesn't make sense.

Magic users > Normal Mercs any day of the year.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 5, 2014 9:45 AM

Oct 2013
L-Ryoshi said:

The preview kind of showed the Magic students getting owned by regular mercs, which is NOT what happened in the books.... The regular mercs got their butts handed to them. I really hope they didn't animate it like that just for a bit of leveling of the playing field... it just doesn't make sense.

You forget the normal mercs had
to level the playing field
May 5, 2014 10:08 AM

Dec 2013
millie10468 said:
L-Ryoshi said:

Not too sure of that. Wouldn't that mean that

I'm not sure if my recollection is poor or not, but I don't remember that being the case.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 5, 2014 10:45 AM
Aug 2012
L-Ryoshi said:
millie10468 said:
L-Ryoshi said:

Not too sure of that. Wouldn't that mean that

I'm not sure if my recollection is poor or not, but I don't remember that being the case.

May 5, 2014 11:00 AM
Apr 2014
L-Ryoshi said:

Just one thing to remember... the students usually DON'T have their CADs with them on school ground. Tatsuya did have to get his for his duell with Hattori and it was mentionend in ep3 that Disciplinary Committee officers are permitted to carry CADs without a need for a permission request.
VocahMay 5, 2014 11:04 AM
May 5, 2014 11:35 AM
Oct 2013
Vocah said:
L-Ryoshi said:

Just one thing to remember... the students usually DON'T have their CADs with them on school ground. Tatsuya did have to get his for his duell with Hattori and it was mentionend in ep3 that Disciplinary Committee officers are permitted to carry CADs without a need for a permission request.

This the students aside from the Disciplinary Committee and student counsole aren't allow to carry CAD they have to get it where storage.
May 5, 2014 12:34 PM

Dec 2013
Excuse me while I join the after-school terrorist club.
May 5, 2014 12:40 PM

May 2010
L-Ryoshi said:

If you did some research, a trigger pull at a distance of 20 yards is faster than Miyuki's casting time by a factor of 4. With semi-auto action it's about 15-25 pulls per minute, which equates to max 50 rounds down range. But given the option to use automatic fire, you got 600 rounds per minute to play with. A mage would lose a duel even with Miyuki's casting time of 220 ms.

Ignoring the element of surprise and reaction time, you got a hail of bullets coming at the mage at a muzzle velocity (let's take the AK-47, 715 m/s). If you remember high school physics, then you should know that kinetic energy is defined as the 1/2 times the mass (of the bullet in this case) times the velocity of that object squared. A 7.62x39mm bullet (just the bullet) is around 8 grams, so you got 2.1 kJ of energy per bullet projecting toward an area. Assuming you got a really strong force field that can withstand all those bullets while adhering to the 3rd law of motion, or the mage can dodge bullets to fire their CAD at them without turning into swiss cheese in the process, then I guess the mages miiiight have a chance of getting out of that situation alive with maybe a few wounds.

tl;dr- trigger pull speed along with bullet velocity would've hit the mage before they can cast, this series is f***ed.
wrenchbreadMay 5, 2014 12:54 PM
May 5, 2014 1:09 PM
Oct 2013
Not sure if this will be explained later or not but magic unconciously have data fortifcation around their body as protection so normal guns unless at close range won't be able to hurt them (same thing with weak spells) Which is why when fighting against magician they use high caliber rounds.

Granted hail of bullets when your not prepared and against unarmed students their not going to stand a chance XD
May 5, 2014 1:11 PM

May 2010
RexZShadow said:
Not sure if this will be explained later or not but magic unconciously have data fortifcation around their body as protection so normal guns unless at close range won't be able to hurt them (same thing with weak spells) Which is why when fighting against magician they use high caliber rounds.

Granted hail of bullets when your not prepared and against unarmed students their not going to stand a chance XD

What kinda calibers are we talking about here?
May 5, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2011
wrenchbread said:
RexZShadow said:

I believe it's not about the calibers from what I read from the LN. (Sorry if I get it wrong, I'm not really an expert of weapons)

May 5, 2014 1:20 PM
Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
RexZShadow said:

They never ssay just need high caliber rifle to fight magicians XD
May 5, 2014 2:22 PM
Aug 2012
alcrowry said:
wrenchbread said:
RexZShadow said:

I believe it's not about the calibers from what I read from the LN. (Sorry if I get it wrong, I'm not really an expert of weapons)

Just to add to this, wrenchbread's theory has a few flaws.

Dragon_Slayer_XMay 5, 2014 2:35 PM

May 5, 2014 3:08 PM

May 2010
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Just to add to this, wrenchbread's theory has a few flaws.

Battle of attrition. Throw enough guns (and heavy artillery) at a problem and it'll eventually solve itself. :lol
Either the mages book it or get tired/run outta gas.

And gunpowder is already in a solid state. You can't really freeze it unless you mean somehow move some water into the powder inside the rounds, then freeze them. Humidity is the problem.
May 5, 2014 3:17 PM

Dec 2011
wrenchbread said:

Battle of attrition. Throw enough guns (and heavy artillery) at a problem and it'll eventually solve itself. :lol
Either the mages book it or get tired/run outta gas.

And gunpowder is already in a solid state. You can't really freeze it unless you mean somehow move some water into the powder inside the rounds, then freeze them. Humidity is the problem.

If bombarded by several guns and heavy artillery continuously, it may be true that even a talented magician may not be able to stand that, as they run the risk of draining out their stamina and their magic.
But then again, a talented combat magician should avoid that situation in the first place :)

For the second one, the LN also addressed this issue. (Again sorry for spoiling some parts of the story....)

alcrowryMay 5, 2014 3:26 PM
May 5, 2014 9:08 PM
Mar 2009
Who the fuck uses an RPG to attack a school? Geezus, that seems like overkill.

I'm finding this adaptation to be rather lackluster. The pacing seems to be crawling along...

I hope next episode is the conclusion of the Blanche arc. Move into the Magic Tournament Games already, please.
May 5, 2014 9:12 PM

May 2010
ChronosXIII said:

I'm finding this adaptation to be rather lackluster. The pacing seems to be crawling along...

I hope next episode is the conclusion of the Blanche arc. Move into the Magic Tournament Games already, please.

Considering this is a school for mages... I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd even call in air support for good measure.
May 5, 2014 9:58 PM
Oct 2013
wrenchbread said:
ChronosXIII said:

Considering this is a school for mages... I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd even call in air support for good measure.

wait till the 3rd arc =X Sadly no air support but you get some cool stuff =D
May 5, 2014 10:24 PM

Sep 2008
Boring episode. At least there was less Miyuki. Hope she gets hit by a stray bullet and dies.
May 5, 2014 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
the sister pisses me off
slow-paced as well, nice..
May 6, 2014 5:43 AM

Apr 2013
Mahouka MW 2 :o

Lmao look at those weapons. It's year-2095!!! *clap,clap* -_-
May 6, 2014 3:52 PM

Nov 2008
Always-Hungry said:

I think it's because they are trying to portray those guys as terrorist.

If they had laser weapons... they would look too cool?
May 6, 2014 8:24 PM

Feb 2014
Well, at least less Miyuki's ince...ugh overly brocon act on this episode.

Skyray said:
Always-Hungry said:

Stupid reason...haha... Why the hell it is must wield guns to be called terrorist. you got me if that sarcasm. XD

Yeah, actually they must have at least laser like weapon... But it seems in Mahouka, all tech advancement is focused heavily on Magic. so their "normal" scientific weapon is still suck. i can accept it.
May 6, 2014 9:12 PM
Oct 2013
MShukyDeneuve said:

Skyray said:
Always-Hungry said:

Stupid reason...haha... Why the hell it is must wield guns to be called terrorist. you got me if that sarcasm. XD

Yeah, actually they must have at least laser like weapon... But it seems in Mahouka, all tech advancement is focused heavily on Magic. so their "normal" scientific weapon is still suck. i can accept it.

Pretty much eveything in weaponry is devoted on CAD rather than building more epic guns XD Coz the magicians are still your strongest fighting force if you get behind on CAD development you fail.
May 6, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
More boring dialogue and uninteresting character interactions 90 percent of the time.
May 6, 2014 10:01 PM

Feb 2014
RexZShadow said:
MShukyDeneuve said:

Skyray said:
Always-Hungry said:

Pretty much eveything in weaponry is devoted on CAD rather than building more epic guns XD Coz the magicians are still your strongest fighting force if you get behind on CAD development you fail.

It is still weird though...at least the terrorist must use a more devastating weapon than that, though.

They must be know already that normal weapon like that will get stomped by Magicians, yet they still attacking with guns. i can accept the tech, but i can't help but feel something ridiculous with those terrorist. And they attacking the best magician school. XD

RediceRyan said:
More boring dialogue and uninteresting character interactions 90 percent of the time.

Mahouka verse have a really rigid society, so it is not weird when people easily got bored by conversations they had.
May 7, 2014 1:51 AM

Dec 2013
It was nice seeing the other student council members do stuff. Other than that really still not too happy with this show. I feel Tatsuya is too good at everything, and that he should have built up to be this good over the course of the series instead. I did laugh at Mizuki saying something along the lines of "If you could do that too, you'd be too perfect." I'm thinking to myself...that ship has already sailed Mizuki.
May 7, 2014 1:55 AM

Mar 2013
Ok... so highschool kids get their hands on automatic weaponry and RPGs just because they're being discriminated against and being called names in school.

If you're smart and resourceful enough to get your hands on shit like that, then I would assume you'd have the brains to dismiss their name calling as empty words of a retarded ignorant bigot and get on with your life, but NOPE. Gotta resort to terrorism over pointless highschool discrimination.

It's just so fucking dumb.. like I don't even understand why those weed kids would do something like this (in fat I do, it's called shitty writing and escalating the situation needlessly for dramatic effect, but I digress) I mean, they're just trading one label (weed) for another (terrorist). Way to get people to sympathize with you fucking retards.

[sarcasm]Spectacular writing going on in this show.[/sarcasm]
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 7, 2014 2:21 AM
Jan 2014
DerpHole said:
Ok... so highschool kids get their hands on automatic weaponry and RPGs just because they're being discriminated against and being called names in school.

If you're smart and resourceful enough to get your hands on shit like that, then I would assume you'd have the brains to dismiss their name calling as empty words of a retarded ignorant bigot and get on with your life, but NOPE. Gotta resort to terrorism over pointless highschool discrimination.

It's just so fucking dumb.. like I don't even understand why those weed kids would do something like this (in fat I do, it's called shitty writing and escalating the situation needlessly for dramatic effect, but I digress) I mean, they're just trading one label (weed) for another (terrorist). Way to get people to sympathize with you fucking retards.

Except for the fact that the kids weren't the ones using the weapons lol
May 7, 2014 2:50 AM
Aug 2012
YondaimeHokage29 said:
DerpHole said:

Except for the fact that the kids weren't the ones using the weapons lol

The funny thing is people will always miss these little things.......just to show off some their so called sarcasm.

May 7, 2014 3:34 AM
May 7, 2014 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
Miyuki is so fucking annoying. Too attached with her brother.
May 7, 2014 5:55 AM

Mar 2014
Just as thing about clears up there is always the troublemaker
May 7, 2014 8:28 PM

Nov 2012
I wonder if Mibu even knows what she's doing. She seems like a good person.
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
May 7, 2014 11:44 PM

Jun 2013
Wow a certain scene in this episode felt very Hyouka
May 8, 2014 6:39 AM

Jul 2012
Either Miyuki fans are lurkers or very few. Miyuki is the only reason I'm watching this.
(Well, the biggest reason anyway :P)

The content felt a bit lacking this episode. Not fast paced per se but as if they cut out a lot of detail. Not so impressed. Then again, I always did find the whole first arc a bit boring.
May 8, 2014 7:57 AM

Jul 2008
Here comes the build up, can't wait for next episode :D
May 8, 2014 9:18 AM
Feb 2014
i'm wondering if mad house is actually abandon this thing and focus on no game no life? this anime seems half hearted (a lot of people the LN is good but the anime is not) while NGNL is wonderfully done, i know it's different genre..

world building, explanation, self tough, monologue if done properly will become very interesting and not boring, imo log horizon do their job very well, while this one is failed..chara development not good, and i found no chara is really lovable or feel relate to me this far, almost no comedy at all, and those onii-sama things..

even with 26 episode first few eps is important to set first image especially for anime-only viewer, people should read the LN/manga because they're interested not because they're confused!

3/5
May 8, 2014 11:26 AM

Oct 2009
Seems like I am the only enjoying this more than NGNL, I like info dumps that actually requires me to use my brain than something where I have to off my brain to enjoy it.

That being said the directing in this is a bit weird and it does need to pick up its pace a bit.
AozureMay 8, 2014 11:32 AM
May 8, 2014 12:06 PM
Apr 2014
NonStopRoad said:
i'm wondering if mad house is actually abandon this thing and focus on no game no life? this anime seems half hearted (a lot of people the LN is good but the anime is not) while NGNL is wonderfully done, i know it's different genre..

world building, explanation, self tough, monologue if done properly will become very interesting and not boring, imo log horizon do their job very well, while this one is failed..chara development not good, and i found no chara is really lovable or feel relate to me this far, almost no comedy at all, and those onii-sama things..

even with 26 episode first few eps is important to set first image especially for anime-only viewer, people should read the LN/manga because they're interested not because they're confused!

3/5

I doubt that because one Mahouka has 26 episodes unlike NGNL. And two the arc they are animating is a introduction which may seem boring to some but is needed in Mahouka. Also since the enrollment arc is going to end at episode 7 things will start spicing up, and remember next episode is going to be filled with action. So really they are not abandoning Mahouka because its much more popular than NGNL and will get more sales than it.
AquaWateriaMay 8, 2014 12:10 PM
May 8, 2014 12:29 PM

Jan 2011
I'd say this was the best episode so far, just because the fucking sister shut up for once.
Still mediocre though. :/
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
May 8, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2011
Everything looked good until they got attacked

Blooms and Weeds working together. Dream come true
May 8, 2014 1:50 PM
Jun 2009
Mugen_Time said:
Either Miyuki fans are lurkers or very few. Miyuki is the only reason I'm watching this.
(Well, the biggest reason anyway :P)

The content felt a bit lacking this episode. Not fast paced per se but as if they cut out a lot of detail. Not so impressed. Then again, I always did find the whole first arc a bit boring.

Miyuki is the most popular female in Mahouka. The problem is the way the anime has portrayed her thus far. Taking off bits of her characterisation, adding on unnecessary things that didn't even happen in the LN. Hell everyone is suffering from it, but for Miyuki it is the worse. Even as a Miyuki fan, I hate the way the anime has portrayed her, however I'm not going to hate my favourite simply because an anime fudged her up .

I personally prefer to stay away from here it's is a cesspool of hate.
May 8, 2014 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
anime intensifies all hell breaks loose !!
[/quote]
May 8, 2014 2:41 PM

Jun 2013
Hazardous said:

Uh no, Miyuki's depiction here is spot on. She does get pissed almost all the time, and dam near freezes the whole school each time. If anything the LN readers should have more of a reason to dislike her because of Vol. 8, given what a shallow character she was and how cheap her reversal of opinions felt.

The problem is there are people that will not like an adaptation no matter what. Especially when it comes to light novels. Sure the pacing is a little fast here, but overall this is a faithful adaptation and people still complain.

Mod Edit: Modified quote tower; please spoiler or remove old quotes.
MellowJelloMay 9, 2014 2:20 AM
May 8, 2014 3:23 PM
Aug 2012
krownklown said:

Well without those monologues and scenes cut out, Mayumi feels like a different character, Erika and Leo hasn't had their moment to shine and Miyuki is getting way too much hate and Tatsuya doesn't come off as too much interesting. I enjoyed the character interactions and explanations in the first 2 volumes but here many off those scenes are cut off. It actually became much better from episode 4 onward but characterization suffered. Miyuki has most of her scenes compared to the other side characters but with the way it's presented, her character comes off as just a bro-con sister. The first 3 episodes could have been done better or they should have released more mini-specials alongside episodes for the explanations cut out.

Also about volume 8, i am sure many LN reader would disagree with you. If anything readers liked her more after that volume. She was a young girl back then, how was she a shallow character? That volume actually put some good characterization for both Tatsuya and Miyuki.

MellowJelloMay 9, 2014 2:20 AM

May 8, 2014 3:32 PM
Jun 2009
krownklown said:

Sorry, but no. What is missing here is her internal monologues the reasoning behind the actions. Its gives you more perceptive on a character. When you get into someone's head you tend to understand and appreciate them much more.

It is true her actions were spot on but, they took away from it and they did add on as well. Case and point that scene in the the student council when she was asked to join. Yes, she looked at Tastsuya, but she was only asking his permission to throw him under the bus i.e ask if he could join. After she was denied his entry, she accepted the position herself immediately afterwards, but in the anime she LOOKED at him a second time, as if seeking his permission that was not in the LN. I could point out other small things but I have no intention of replying here again so whatever.

Also

No, just no . I get from this that you don't like her and that is fine. But don't ever presume that your opinions should be someone's else own.

Cheap, shallow. You are entitled to think that. But to say others should feel that way because you think so is just stupidity at best

Yes, this is true what you said about the adaptation, but if you see the post I was referring to they asked a question about Miyuki fans. I answered. Whether you like it or not it is undeniable that for the LN she is the most popular female.

MellowJelloMay 9, 2014 2:19 AM
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

32 by yamori_058 »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.