Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 3, 2014 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm not surprised with Miyuki's apology. Looks like they're adapting

Episode felt slow despite the pacing. The speech forum already took place this episode and felt way too fast. Looks like the school president did get some praise though for her speech. And welp, that ending there...reminded me of the LN. Looks like they are adapting this part. Inb4 more rush
Stark700May 3, 2014 8:59 AM
May 3, 2014 8:54 AM

Jul 2013
Oh man, I smell trouble for Sayaka, and restraining those two people. So the captain of the Kendo club attacked Tatsuya from the previous episode huh...

I think Mayumi's speech made everyone motivated and inspirational. Oh damn some terrorist attack at the end there. This is going to be intense.
omega_d94May 3, 2014 9:01 AM

May 3, 2014 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
So that blind girl sensed and knew that he is potentially strong. Oh, she studies magic to control the eyes' power.

More requests from the kendo girl, to the extend that she caused a trouble at school. Student council president is willing to listen to her. Trying to help out, she holds a public meeting. More and more discriminations, huh?!

Seems like there are group of people who "invaded" kendo club for using the illegal weapons to rebel.

I heard that next ep. will be the final ep. to the first (enrollment) arc, I wonder how it will end. Nevermind, two more eps. until end of first arc.
tsubasaloverMay 9, 2014 7:21 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 3, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
tsubasalover said:
I heard that next ep. will be the final ep. to the first (enrollment) arc, I wonder how it will end.

Going by the pacing, most likely.
May 3, 2014 9:02 AM

Dec 2012
So, Mibu-senpai is actually linked to the terrorists? Or was she actually being manipulated by her club-senpai all along?

Looks like we'll finally get action next episode. Hope its not just Tatsuya pawning everyone again without us getting to see the powers of others.
May 3, 2014 9:10 AM
Oct 2013
guess who has made a "special" appearance in Tatsuya's mind? haha

May 3, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2013
Stark700 said:
tsubasalover said:
I heard that next ep. will be the final ep. to the first (enrollment) arc, I wonder how it will end.

They'll most likely cut the OP and ED again to include more contents for the next episode since it will be the closure of the arc. Having them would just kill the suspense and the flow of the episode too anyway haha. Can't wait to see our friends' fights animated next week :3

May 3, 2014 10:08 AM
Oct 2013
EasyGo-er said:
Stark700 said:
tsubasalover said:

They'll most likely cut the OP and ED again to include more contents for the next episode since it will be the closure of the arc. Having them would just kill the suspense and the flow of the episode too anyway haha. Can't wait to see our friends' fights animated next week :3

May 3, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2013
another piece of shit episode.
an egomaniac and a fool

May 3, 2014 10:15 AM

Apr 2014
A lot better than last weeks episode.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

May 3, 2014 11:00 AM
Oct 2012
Nice to see other people use their magic for a change, that alone made this episode better than the first four. They really should have done far more of that earlier.

Had an issue with having Mizuki at the beginning, after all in the first episode he went on about he had to be careful around her, but here he is giving her a first hand view of him using his magic, and nothing really in between to explain why he would trust her (this was more glaring last episode where he exposed one of his biggest secrets so casually, but applies here as well).

More action, which is good. Miyuki finally stepping up, so I guess we are going to see the pair in action next episode, which should finally take the giant step forward this show has been lacking.
May 3, 2014 11:35 AM

May 2013
why would they end it like this every time :( something awesome is about to happen lets end this episode!!!
MercuriMay 3, 2014 12:18 PM
May 3, 2014 11:35 AM
Jan 2014
It's a good thing the terrorists left Mayumi to finish her speech and get her applause, atleast.
They sure have a wide arsenal.
Can't wait for the next episode.
May 3, 2014 11:44 AM
May 3, 2014 11:47 AM

Aug 2010
Not bad. Last ep was the info-dump. This one is the build up and nxt one is the climax.

The way Tatsuya trolled Mibu saying he guarantees her freedom and arrested the others was lol XD As usual...Miyuki jealousy overflowing when he was talking to Mibu on the phone was lol ;P

Some nice foreshadowing on Tatsuya's family with Yakumo not being able to find out anything and seeing his HOT Aunt :3

The Mayumi speech was nice. And then the action started. Bazooka's and guns? Hoho. Nice seeing some of Hattori and Mari's skills.

Time for the siblings to kick ass. Also can't wait to see Erika kick ass too :D
May 3, 2014 11:49 AM

Jul 2010
I did like Mayumi's speech, it was great.
A lot happened! An resistance group wanting to solve discrimination and a terrorist group that wants to destroy magic.
Miyuki has a slice of yandere in her!
Fighting next episode!
May 3, 2014 11:55 AM

Apr 2013
It was an ok episode. Maybe my expectations for this show initially were a bit too high. At least things are in place to finally happen and advance. Hopefully the next episode will bring about the conclusion of this arc (please god) and dish out some solid action and revelations. I'm sure there will be a lot of Tatsuya and Miyuki kicking ass and taking no names.
dankzelMay 3, 2014 12:33 PM
May 3, 2014 12:00 PM

Oct 2013
Well, Tatsuya's monologues made a welcome return. Not sure why it returned in this episode when it would have accomplished much more in Episodes 2 and 3.

Anyway, I was expecting the escalation of intensity in this episode so it wasn't much of a surprise to see the terrorist attack animated. I'm not even sure what was eliminated from the LN since it feels like all the important parts were hit on. I did like seeing some of Hattori and Mari's magic animated.

This past week has seen some backlash against Tatsuya's view on the discrimination in the school and this episode showed part of why he feels that way. Yes, he's disgruntled that his lack of good magic activation skills has made him a Course 2 student, when he himself acknowledges that he would have been a Course 1 student even with average magic skills. However, because he came to a government-run Magic high school with a particular goal (access to research material only available at the libraries of University-affiliated government magic schools), he sees no reason to expect much from the childish Course 1 students. I don't know how true that would have been if he was like Mibu Sayaka or the other disgruntled Course 2 students who don't have other abilities to fall back on. However, it's true that while he's similar in some ways to them, he's pretty dissimilar in a lot of other ways.

While I liked his conversation with Mizuki and the information about both of them it carries, I have no doubt that people will say she has become a member of his harem due to the fact that she respects him for actually having a specific goal.

Mayumi's speech seemed a bit too reminiscent of politicians who try to quell a protest before it deteriorates into a full-on riot so I couldn't help but take her words at face value. It's like using a cup to put out a fire. It might work for a moment, but if the intensity of the fire is high, it will roar back up again. I also think the Course 2 students, even though they know what they don't like, they don't know how to get what they'd like. Hence, they're easily taken in by Mayumi's trite promises that would probably not solve the problem in the long run. All she's technically doing is ensuring that Course 2 students are allowed in the Student Council. Is it me or does that not solve much of the problem at all? It's a step in a good direction but potentially ineffectual.
May 3, 2014 12:01 PM

May 2013
Shit got real!!!!!

Great episode :D

Seems next one will be filled with action
May 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Jun 2013
That was a pretty good episode looks like the next one is gonna be pretty intense.
May 3, 2014 12:12 PM

Nov 2012
It was good. This series always likes to end the episodes with some action, lol.
KamaxMay 3, 2014 12:16 PM
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
May 3, 2014 12:17 PM

Mar 2012
At least I will see Erika in action next episode. Still is there no way for this to skip till at least Nine School Competition part 2?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 3, 2014 12:17 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty nice ep.
The action kicks in.

Onii-sama count:

Ep 1: 26
Ep 2: 5
Ep 3: 6
Ep 4: 17
Ep 5: 3 (lol)
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
May 3, 2014 12:18 PM

Dec 2013
pretty plot filled episode got pretty exciting towards the end, I still have high hopes for this show
May 3, 2014 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
Kamax said:
It was good. This series always likes to end the episodes with some action, lol.

Yeah this is like the third episode that ends with action.

The next episode better be good. I wanna see more asskicking by Tatsuya.
May 3, 2014 12:21 PM

Jan 2012
Ah finally some action ><
May 3, 2014 12:31 PM
Jan 2014
Pretty dissapointed in this show already honestly, I had high hopes for it since everyone was talking bout it but all there is, 20 minutes of straight talking and the last minute if always a build up then oh have to wait another week for a 2 minute fight scene lol. Ahwell time to see where this show goes and find out who those two really are.
May 3, 2014 12:31 PM

Mar 2011
It'd be nice if someone made a gif of that eyebrow twitching.
May 3, 2014 12:33 PM
Mar 2014
Plenty of action coming.
May 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2014
This episode had good information that we can piece together. The ending got me hyped for next week's episode. And I thought the enrollment saga will end last week's episode. But I guess not.
May 3, 2014 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
Hooo... Tatsuya is commenting on Mizuki's sharp eye, now if that isn't a compliment.

So people are saying that plenty of action is going to occur next episode. Now I want to see that, but I've got to wait another week. how fun
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
May 3, 2014 12:37 PM

Dec 2012
Man, Miyuki is pretty annoying. And the episode cuts out right before she gets to do something other than be jealous regarding her brother.

I don't know what I think about all of this discrimination stuff. It's not that I disagree with the students who are protesting, nor is it that I agree with them. It's just that the whole scenario seems a little stupid.

I mean, what kind of sense is there in complaining about magic clubs receiving more funding at a school that as far as I can tell is specifically geared towards teaching magic? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are considerably more magic clubs, or that some uses of magic by clubs requires expensive equipment - although the show gives no definitive information on this. Mibu-senpai pooh-poohs the 'more teachers' angle, but I'm surprised there wasn't more of a specific, united front towards that goal. If you're going to a magic school presumably it's because you want to learn to use magic, and presumably the students that are least adept at using it are going to need the most teacher assistance - yet they aren't getting it. What I really wonder is why the students at this school who don't have much magic talent don't just attend a school oriented towards teaching them how to make use of their non-magic talents, and then just take 'magic lessons' on the side.

The main problem I have with this show is that, for all the specific details it gives, I'm not getting the information I need. They continually spout magic-related jargon but I don't really understand how magic works. The five second 'personal reality' explanation in Raildex gave me a better understanding than this show has. They continually talk about discrimination yet I can't really tell how much discrimination actually exists and what the reasons for it, aside from the apparent fact that students who do poorly receive less teacher assistance, which is flies in the face of basic logic regarding education, and the fact that some course 1 students like to call course 2 students names. Yet again I feel the need to bring up the Raildex franchise because Railgun has far less focus on discrimination - there are entire episodes where discrimination isn't mentioned at all - yet it still manages to have an anti-discriminatory message without seeming overly preachy.

It's interesting to compare this to Railgun, which is my personal favorite anime, because they both deal with discrimination and supernatural powers. But this series so far seems to be pretty poor in comparison.
May 3, 2014 12:37 PM

Jul 2009
After 5 episode finally some action. Just hoping the next ep is good.
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
May 3, 2014 12:45 PM
Apr 2014
Was hopind to see some of the fighting on this episode already, but it's still pretty good.
May 3, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2014
You go Mayumi show them who is best girl!
May 3, 2014 1:05 PM

Nov 2012
This anime is so interesting. They set up each episode so that they end right in the middle of the climax. They put a good amount of thought into this series.

Beautiful speech from the SCP.
May 3, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2010
Wait, you're telling me guns are ineffective against mages? Everyone has a blind spot. And someone thought one smoke grenade is enough for a whole auditorium when SWAT teams would blanket it with, I dunno, way more than that? No crashing a gigantic vehicle into the building while opening the sidedoors for machine gun fire? Can't believe I rooted for the antagonists when they're written to be this incompetent.
May 3, 2014 1:09 PM

Mar 2013
ZZZZZZZZ

May 3, 2014 1:14 PM

Jul 2013
didn't know school politics could be so intense.

they also made things really complicated. for example- kinoe's mother's 2nd husband's child.... in other words, kinoe's older step brother". really? -_-

this show just takes easy things and tries to make it harder for the audience to understand so that it can be a deep and complex show. i think there could have been a better way to handle the situation between the course 1 and course 2 students (also, why are the course 2 students even whining when they're going to a school whose sole focus is magic? if they didn't want to be discriminated against then they should've gone to a prestigious school that allowed them to improve their nonmagic skills)

miyuki was just as useless again. she really exists for the fan service. at least there were only 3 ONIISAMAs in this episode.

overall though, this episode was more enjoyable than the last episode and i'm glad that most likely this arc will end with the next episode. looking forward to seeing some action.

also, why do the episodes in this show always end at an awkward point?
orchidorkMay 3, 2014 2:57 PM
May 3, 2014 1:17 PM

Oct 2013
Nakumi-chan said:
God damnit,oni-sama.

But seriously,miyuki pissing me off that much that i want to slap her ! >.<

Wha? She barely said anything in this episode...
May 3, 2014 1:21 PM

Dec 2011
So Tatsuya's goal is to study magic in order to develop energy and Mizuki saw through what he was doing with her "good eyesight".

So they're organizing a forum to discuss the problems that currently exist between the Course 1 and Course 2 students.

The Student Council President sure can give a speech that makes everyone applaud in awe.

Shit got real in a few moments and things started blowing up and then a smoke grenade lol.

Seems like next episode serious fights will take place.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
May 3, 2014 1:22 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, things got crazy in the end.

Miyuki was superjelly this episode, heh.
May 3, 2014 1:25 PM

Dec 2013
I'm ready for the action episodes :)
May 3, 2014 1:26 PM

Mar 2012
I still don't necessarily like the fact that some early portions were clearly rushed over, but considering how good this series is, I think it'll come out just fine. Case in point: the tension drawn out by this arc is already getting me to anticipate the next episode even though I already know what'll happen. A good series will be a good series, so long as they don't try to rush everything for the next 20 episodes.
May 3, 2014 1:27 PM

Jul 2013
Wow they skipped so much in this episode. With Erika and where Miyuki comes to see Tatsuya and tests her processing speed on the machine. Mari spying on Tatsuya and Sayaka and the part where Tatsuya said he wanted to build a gravity control-type thermonuclear reactor. Also when they went to see Yakumo he explained about the siblings auras. Miyuki is overflowing with aura while Tatsuya doesn't waste a single drop.

On the whole it was pretty faithful to the LN. Finally getting some action. Anime-only viewers will be glad to know all the "boring" stuff is over. Its going to be mostly action from now on. Next week's episode may be pretty rushed as well. Judging from the pacing, it seems like it will be the last episode for the enrolment arc.
-Dizzy-May 3, 2014 1:31 PM
May 3, 2014 1:27 PM

Aug 2007
Pretty much like the end there since it seems things are finally starting to all come together. I can't wait for the next episode.
May 3, 2014 1:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Gas bombs and machine guns in school assembly?!! This series is so magnificently bad that I cannot help but keep on watching. It's like a Chuck Norris film. Actually Tatsuya is very much like anime's answer to Chuck Norris. He is that awesome. Before the series ends, he will have gotten someone pregnant (man or woman, it doesn't matter to him) by sheer thought alone.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 3, 2014 1:31 PM
Aug 2012
millie10468 said:
Well, Tatsuya's monologues made a welcome return. Not sure why it returned in this episode when it would have accomplished much more in Episodes 2 and 3.

Anyway, I was expecting the escalation of intensity in this episode so it wasn't much of a surprise to see the terrorist attack animated. I'm not even sure what was eliminated from the LN since it feels like all the important parts were hit on. I did like seeing some of Hattori and Mari's magic animated.

This past week has seen some backlash against Tatsuya's view on the discrimination in the school and this episode showed part of why he feels that way. Yes, he's disgruntled that his lack of good magic activation skills has made him a Course 2 student, when he himself acknowledges that he would have been a Course 1 student even with average magic skills. However, because he came to a government-run Magic high school with a particular goal (access to research material only available at the libraries of University-affiliated government magic schools), he sees no reason to expect much from the childish Course 1 students. I don't know how true that would have been if he was like Mibu Sayaka or the other disgruntled Course 2 students who don't have other abilities to fall back on. However, it's true that while he's similar in some ways to them, he's pretty dissimilar in a lot of other ways.

While I liked his conversation with Mizuki and the information about both of them it carries, I have no doubt that people will say she has become a member of his harem due to the fact that she respects him for actually having a specific goal.

Mayumi's speech seemed a bit too reminiscent of politicians who try to quell a protest before it deteriorates into a full-on riot so I couldn't help but take her words at face value. It's like using a cup to put out a fire. It might work for a moment, but if the intensity of the fire is high, it will roar back up again. I also think the Course 2 students, even though they know what they don't like, they don't know how to get what they'd like. Hence, they're easily taken in by Mayumi's trite promises that would probably not solve the problem in the long run. All she's technically doing is ensuring that Course 2 students are allowed in the Student Council. Is it me or does that not solve much of the problem at all? It's a step in a good direction but potentially ineffectual.

- Well there one part that was eliminated. There was a scene showing Miyuki's skill after the training session. It would have been better if that part was shown but other than that they showed the main events pretty well. They even added a scene of The Blanche Leader giving out "Special Rings" and added some explanations which is good. Oh another scene about Yakumo sensei describing about their aura was removed too i think.

- It will be fun to see their reactions later right? But i wish they put a bit explanation about Mizuki's eyes rather than the name only.

- While it would not solve the problem but it's a start and some already changed their views after that. Also changing the system in the Student Council can be iconic, it's a pretty big step.

This episode adapted 1/2 of chapter 13 to 1/4 of chapter 17. I think it will need at least 2 more episodes even if we go by the manga.

May 3, 2014 1:31 PM

Oct 2013
Ophis said:
Anime-only viewers will be glad to know all the boring stuff is over. Its going to be mostly action from now on.

Heyyy, don't say that so confidently. The beginning of the 9SC arc wasn't that much more interesting than the Enrollment Arc, imo
May 3, 2014 1:34 PM
Aug 2012
Marzan said:
Gas bombs and machine guns in school assembly?!! This series is so magnificently bad that I cannot help but keep on watching. It's like a Chuck Norris film. Actually Tatsuya is very much like anime's answer to Chuck Norris. He is that awesome. Before the series ends, he will have gotten someone pregnant (man or woman, it doesn't matter to him) by sheer thought alone.

Keep dreaming pal, keep dreaming.

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

32 by yamori_058 »»
Apr 28, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.