Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 3, 2014 4:59 PM

May 2013
Wow. Just wow. Seriously? This anime adaptation is becoming very shitty in my eyes. It's as if it traded out the emotional impact that the PVs had for some symbolism shit. Suuuure the crows and the clocks and colored signposts do portray the situation well, but this anime really had failed to illicit some emotional reactions. Even though I am a fan of the Kagerou Project franchise, this anime is very very disappointing in that aspect.

What is perhaps the saving grace for this episode is most likely the symbolism. The clocks, the crows, and the colors make one able to understand the context of the 'plot'. But without the emotional aspect and the attachment for these characters... I don't give a damn anymore.

What we also get is mildly amusing interactions between characters (ie. Shintaro/Ene, Momo/Mr. Tateyama, etc) that take over half the episode before diving into the actual 'good stuff' that circle the actual plot of the story. The episode formula consists of 50% banter and 50% plot, but when it's told in a very disjointed manner where the POV keeps on shifting on every episode, the plot actually stays static and will potentially bore the viewer.

Oh well. At least the LN and manga offers better clues that aren't so visually abrupt.
May 3, 2014 5:30 PM

Aug 2012
This episode was good, but the fan pv for the song showed more depth in the 1/5 of time this episode had
-The blade of the forefather who introduced the spirit of the roundabout-
May 3, 2014 5:39 PM

Oct 2012
hibiya is adorable...but, konoha is just <3
lol pretty much stared at konoha the whole time at the dinner scene
drinking from hibiya's cup, drinking soup out of the pot, putting mayonnaise in the rice cooker, lol wat? xD

lots of head tilts this episode...
hibiya's a persistent kid, lol i cant tell if he's brave or just stupid

the insert song was good :)
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
May 3, 2014 5:50 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Hibiya is my favorite character and Heat Haze Days is by far my favorite song. I was a bit disappointed to see that Hibiya seemed to lack as much emotion or trauma as he seemed to portray in the original MV. I have no knowledge about the LN or manga, though, but I really was disappointed with this episode. The symbolism was fine, but I would've definitely preferred if they had made it clearer that he was stuck in a real loop rather than some sort of dream where you are stuck asking, "Is it all real?"

Personally, the first half of the episode was fine and even though most people hated Hiyori in this episode from the looks of it on this thread, one would agree with, "Who cares if she dies?" That would be Hibiya. It's really that simple.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

May 3, 2014 6:16 PM
May 2014
I wasn't really expecting that much but I was still quite disappointed. About Hiyori, I don't care if she's annoying or not, I just felt like there was no connection between her and Hibiya at all. It was more like they really disliked each other...( I only know the songs and the videos for KagePro not the manga or novels)
Also clearly as it always is, the animation just screams "SHAFT SHAFT SHAFT" and I would be okay with that if this wasn't an adaptation of something that had quite solid artwork in the original material which I would have preferred. [Also the head tilts ... ^^;... ]
At some parts the animation just seemed a bit.. lacking, and clearly a lot of it has been reused in this episode. Oh and on a side note, I don't really understand why they showed barely any "gore" in the death scenes. I am not a gore fanatic or anything but i also don't mind it if it is there to convey a point.

Another thing I noticed is that there was more foreshadowing then there was in the PV, buuut I won't go into detail about that to avoid the spoilers ~

Overall I hope it was just a slip up and that they get their shit together in the next episodes! ... I'll be waitiiinnggg .____.
May 3, 2014 6:20 PM

Jan 2014
The art in this episode....AMAZING O__O
May 3, 2014 6:31 PM

Jun 2012
That girl is such a stuck up bitch, my god!!
May 3, 2014 6:38 PM
May 2014
First time posting here.

My feeling at this episode: urghhh.
How did they manage to mess up Heat Haze Daze?

First half of the episode, in isolation, was fine, even though I feel parts of it was unnecessary, such as the repeated rolling down the stairs.
The main problem is with the second half- the time loop.

I'm sorry Shaft, you style just doesn't work here. For anyone who watched and enjoyed the original song, pv or the popular fan pv it must be a shock at how differently they decided to do it.

The original song was great. It was very cliche, but it hits hard on emotions and it works.The story is simple-a boy and a girl chats in a park in the oppressive summer heat. The girl chases a cat and starts off a time loop where she dies over and over, until the boy attempts to stop it by sacrificing himself.

Taken on it's literal sense, the anime manages to portray the story completely fine. But its the details and the emotions that are completely lacking.

2 lines of the lyrics of the song struck me the very first time I listened: when Hiyori is struck for the first time, the song goes:

"The spraying crimson blood in the air mingled with her scent completely chocked me
as the lying heat laughed "this is all REAL"
with that like a cricket's sound
the light blue of summer faded away"

What's you're supposed to feel from the song:
1. The oppressing heat and the sound of the cicadas/crickets (peace)/(real)
2. The suddenness of Hiyori being struck (shock)/(unreal)
3. The conflict between the unreality of 2 and the realness of 1 driving the truth into Hibiya.

Instead, in the anime we see a dream-like, abstract sequence choke full of symbolism.

None of it seems real.
There is no emotional connection. There is no impact.

Apart from this, the sequence also omits many important details, like the fact that's August 15- the day that all the events in Kagepro is centred upon.

I think they should just STOP trying to adapt the PVs into the anime if they cannot adapt them properly. I think it stops them stops them from exploring the story in a way that makes sense for them and create disparaging tone differences. The comedy in the first half just doesn't fit with the abstract solemnity of the second, nor is the tragedy enhanced or contrasted in any way

I think the first half is fine is because they were telling their own story. Once they hit the original source they tried to please the original audience AND apply their own interpretation, falling completely flat- which I find very interesting as they must have seen the fan pv as the 3rd death of Hiyori falling off the bridge was in the fan pv but not in the official one.

All they had to do to make people happy was to remake that, dammit...

P.S Only learned about Kagepro when anime aired, not a fan ranting.
theflyigninjaMay 3, 2014 6:43 PM
May 3, 2014 6:40 PM

Jun 2013
This episode left me confused at the end. They didn't tell about the boy if he had some powers or anything nor did they tell about the red eyed neko which was near by every time hiyori died.

Why the hell was hiyori even dying all the time? Was she cursed or something?

Then I had no idea who that weirdo was and why was he white? Did SHAFT forget to color him or something? The guy didn't look normal to me. If they're going to show some random stupid dude then at least give some hints about what he might be.

From what little I could understand from this thing (episode) the small boy might have some sort of time control power (just a wild guess). Because every time hiyori died, he ended up in bed for some twisted reason.

I'm not familiar with the novel/manga/songs or whatever, if they're adapting something then make it so that everyone can understand not just the old fans.

This episode left me confused like every other episode that aired.

I am still hoping it will get a bit better, but right now looks like that's not happening.
May 3, 2014 6:41 PM
Nov 2013
the weird thing about a Shaft/Shinbo anime is that it's really hard to tell when you're actually out of the dream sequence
May 3, 2014 6:57 PM

Jan 2011
well i'm still liking this time to be confused for the next 2 weeks

was only able to get the kid is stuck in some never ending abyss trying to save some brat*Hiyori* and failing to the point where hes just like fuck it shes not even worth it.

oh and screw you evil cat
May 3, 2014 6:57 PM

Jul 2010
I'm not very familiar with the source material, though I have heard a lot of great things about Kagepro. That being said, I found this episode to be really underwhelming. It would've been a lot more effective if I actually felt a connection with the characters and story. Hopefully some explanations down the road help clear things up, this was pretty disappointing since I thought episode 3 was an improvement from the previous two.
May 3, 2014 7:04 PM

Jul 2013
What just happened ?

I mean it was good and interesting as fuck but gosh my head is spinning... Also very shaft-heavy episode... Hiyori likes to senjougahara a lot, and backgrounds were shaft crazy cool...

Anyway I expect some answers next week

Also loved random white dude... Love me some random nonsense
May 3, 2014 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Pretty weak episode if you asked me. Hiyori was more annoying than I expected, Hibiya's dilemma and psychological torture over the kagerou daze wasn't portrayed as well as the songs did.

Also, I suspect people not familiar with the source material to be mindfucked by this episode.

liked vocaloid ver. of Kagerou Days song better too.

overall, not much better than the last episode. Hopefully next one will be much, much better.

Konoha was perfect though. I'll give you that.
May 3, 2014 7:34 PM

May 2013
Haha! I was thinking the exact same thing at further end, "Screw you cat." Haha!
He was seeing dreams or visions of Hiyori's death. Now at the end, he takes her place. We got to see Ayano and Konoha this episode.

Maybe Hibiya will stumble across the Mekakushi Dan next episode.
CreamZiMay 3, 2014 7:37 PM
May 3, 2014 7:37 PM
Dec 2012
steins gate much
May 3, 2014 7:47 PM

Apr 2014
Interesting sequence in the end, but overall the episode had a boring feel :|
May 3, 2014 7:49 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed the episode. Hiyori acted exactly how I expected.
The Kagerou Daze part could have been better.
May 3, 2014 7:52 PM
Apr 2014
This episode makes me remind of Steins;Gate.
May 3, 2014 7:56 PM
Sep 2013
Yes! I got soo excited when Heat Haze song came on :D Watched the music video heaps!
May 3, 2014 7:57 PM
Sep 2013
I thought they could've done that sequence at the end so much better. So much disappointment.
May 3, 2014 8:04 PM

Jul 2012
So did he finally find his way out of the loop?

Great episode!!!
May 3, 2014 8:12 PM

Oct 2011
Ah so this Ayano.

Is Kagarou Days that sad?
May 3, 2014 8:25 PM

Sep 2010
Could have been better but still, I enjoyed it. Hiyori wasn't this mean before but oh well.

AnimeFan500 said:
Ah so this Ayano.

Ayano was the girl with the scarf, the little girl was Hiyori.
May 3, 2014 8:25 PM

Aug 2013
Damn.. I was hoping for something more bloody and glory and being able to feel the tragedy of the event. Like feel the pain Hibiya felt.

I wish they play the whole songs or even up to the chorus as the ED, like the endings for each ep has it's own ED.. Instead of the songs being cut... >_<

I dont remember Hiyori being this rude to Hibiya.. Y do u even like her. LOL.

LOL @ Konoha while they were eating HHAHAHA.
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
May 3, 2014 8:41 PM

Mar 2013
i didn't feel the feels i felt back when i watched the pv before
May 3, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Ah so this Ayano.

Well i felt gloomy when i watched the song's pv, but in this episode i feel bored and annoyed as fuck.

They even destroyed my image of Hiyori.

------

And,
May 3, 2014 8:44 PM

Sep 2011
Still not understanding what's so good about this show, in fact I can't come up with anything... It was a mediocre episode, and maybe a step above the others but it was still just as dull.
May 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Sep 2010
Hakuryuukou said:
May 3, 2014 9:10 PM

Aug 2012
animeoppai said:
Hakuryuukou said:

May 3, 2014 9:11 PM

Oct 2013
It might just be my own personal opinion, but the quickly transitioning frames and backgrounds give me a headache.

Overall a so-so episode. I enjoyed the little bit of screen time Konoha had, and the insert song was nice.
May 3, 2014 9:31 PM

Sep 2013
AYANO

KONOHA

THE KIDS

this episode was okay but then they put the song while everything was happening and I actually got goosebumps (maybe i'm too invested in kagepro who knows) so now i think it was awesome

May 3, 2014 9:35 PM

Apr 2009
Nuts to AToH.

I'm kind of looking forward to how badly they're going to butcher Lost Time Memory now.
May 3, 2014 9:40 PM

Oct 2012
reversereality said:
What we also get is mildly amusing interactions between characters (ie. Shintaro/Ene, Momo/Mr. Tateyama, etc) that take over half the episode before diving into the actual 'good stuff' that circle the actual plot of the story. The episode formula consists of 50% banter and 50% plot, but when it's told in a very disjointed manner where the POV keeps on shifting on every episode, the plot actually stays static and will potentially bore the viewer.

Well, the anime IS called Mekaku City Actors. It makes sense that they focus on character interactions.

--------------------

I think too many people are considering this anime as stand-alone. I heard somebody say that this was a "puzzle piece" a while back, and I kind of agree with that. Rather than it being an adaption, it stands side by side with the songs/manga/novel, with the anime focusing on the characters and not the actual events.

Still, I think they could have portrayed Hibiya's trauma a little better. It's kind of important for
May 3, 2014 9:59 PM

Aug 2012
Amarrez said:
Nuts to AToH.

I'm kind of looking forward to how badly they're going to butcher Lost Time Memory now.

It's going to be massive.
May 3, 2014 10:00 PM

Apr 2014
caramel-latte said:
I'm not very familiar with the source material, though I have heard a lot of great things about Kagepro. That being said, I found this episode to be really underwhelming. It would've been a lot more effective if I actually felt a connection with the characters and story. Hopefully some explanations down the road help clear things up, this was pretty disappointing since I thought episode 3 was an improvement from the previous two.

Agreed - I'd heard of Kagepro before but never bothered to try to understand the story behind it. For someone like me who's jumping into the anime with next to no knowledge of the characters/plot I'm enjoying this enough to keep watching and learn more about it. But I guess if I was a fan of the series like most people here seem to be I'd feel differently about this adaptation.

I really liked the song in this episode, but my favourite ep would still have to be 3 after the first few episodes came together - I was hoping they'd continue this episode from there.
May 3, 2014 10:22 PM

Aug 2011
As a stand alone series/blind watch, this is a pretty decent anime; but looking at it from someone who has read the manga and watched all the PV's too many times to count, it's pretty disappointing. It feels like they're putting more effort into the meaningless dialogue that takes half an episode than the important events.

The only good thing I can say about it is the accuracy of Azami's story after the ED. I feel like it would have been a much better adaptation had they started the series with Shinigami Record, then Kagerou Days, then Jinzou Enemy. It would definitely make a lot more sense and finally tie all the songs together.

2/5, but I will continue to watch, because I still feel the series has potential and will turn out to be better than I expect. Though I too am scared of what they'll do to Ayano's Theory of Happiness...

May 3, 2014 10:26 PM
May 2014
I really liked this episode. I felt like everything was done well. The time loop matched the PV style very closely as well.

Also, the PV everyone is talking about is fanmade, so I don't see why that should affect how you view this episode.
May 3, 2014 10:32 PM
Dec 2013
Is me or Shaft smoked a bigger portion of coriander with all their Energies, because I didn't understand the episode. Really was very crazy. And that was the second time that I watched the episode. I'm going to watch once and other and other time again to understand, at least, the fact of why Hibiya was in this world.
May 3, 2014 10:38 PM

Jun 2012
RIP Heat Haze Days. I hope Outer Science and Ayano's Theory of Happiness get a half-way good episode.
As for this episode, one of the worst so far. Hiyori is a bitch. It was like watching someone else's acid trip, but I haven't read the manga yet so this whole adaptation is pretty confusing since the only base I have is the KagePro songs.
May 3, 2014 10:40 PM

Aug 2013
lol
This episode had a quiet animation, but in the end surprised
where this storyline will go?
Shaft increasingly being Shaft
_________

lol
este episodio teve uma animação calma, mas no final surpreendeu
onde esse enredo irá parar?
Shaft cada vez mais sendo Shaft
May 3, 2014 10:50 PM

Nov 2012
so people were saying this episode would be the "real deal", but i'm still not feeling it. at all.
May 3, 2014 11:20 PM

Jan 2013
Great OST this episode. Rare to see long drawn out scenes with no dialogue in anime these days. I miss the characters from the first episode though
May 3, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2013
The episode was okay, I guess. I enjoyed it more than the last few episodes. Still prefer the fan made mv, tho. Also ngl, I got all giddy when I saw Konoha. Too cute~ I also really liked how they hinted at who the cat was. Although, I don't think a lot of people noticed. :L
May 4, 2014 12:00 AM

Aug 2011
This anime is all over the place.
What the fuck is this, Abstract Anime? I am not impressed.
May 4, 2014 12:25 AM

Aug 2013
This episode was a step down from last week's episode. I wish all the characters were introduced last episode so the plot can get moving. Hopefully in the next few episodes(next 2 or 3 hopefully) the other characters abilities can be revealed so things can start moving. I'm not familiar with the source material but going by what happened this episode I think this guy's ability is to rewind time.
May 4, 2014 12:33 AM

Mar 2013
Wind_God_Girl said:
(...)

The only good part of the episode is the beginning with Ayano, the Konoha's introduction and the "screw you cat" part. The rest are no good.

(...)

my thoughts.

May 4, 2014 12:43 AM
Feb 2014
I want more bloods.

The feels are lesser than the PV.

Okay. I'm fine if people state that Hiyori is annoying. But I seriously want to punch those who say she is a bi*ch.
May 4, 2014 12:49 AM
Feb 2014
naegi said:

EXACTLY what I think!
May 4, 2014 1:02 AM

Feb 2012
ihusmal1234 said:
My head is just full of "what" right now. I'm not sure what that craziness was but at least the song was good.
feel exactly the same
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2014

501 by Strikrr »»
Aug 2, 2023 5:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.