Forum Settings
Forums

Game 'Persona 4 Golden' to Receive TV Anime Adaptation to Air July 2014

New
May 2, 2014 10:05 AM

Feb 2012
During the "Dark Hour TV ~Persona Hour~" live stream event, an announcement was made that PS Vita game Persona 4 Golden will be receiving a TV anime adaptation. The new series, airing this July, will retell events of the first anime series while also adding in a new character.

The event announced the staff for the series.

Director: Seiji Kishi, Tomohisa Taguchi
Character Design: Yuu Shindou
Original Character Design: Shigenori Soejima
Music: Shoji Meguro, Tetsuya Kobayashi
Studio: A-1 Pictures

The cast from the first anime series will return, but will also include Kana Hanazawa who will play the role of Marie from the game.

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfNUVJf3l1o

Source: ANN

Persona 4 The Golden Animation on MAL
SnowMay 2, 2014 8:53 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 2, 2014 10:06 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, that really caught me off guard, so, a change in studio?
Alcyone. Electra. Maia. Taygeta. Calaeno. Asterope. Merope.
By the blessing of the Seven Sisters,
I descend from four hundred lightyears in space!
I AM MR PLEIADES!!
May 2, 2014 10:08 AM

Mar 2014
FUCK YEAH!

Haven't played the game yet, but this is just awesome!!!!
May 2, 2014 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
Kana Hanazawa as Marie huh? Well I'll look forward to this but I'm not a big fan of Persona 4 the Animation when it aired at the time. I wonder what kind of route they will do too.
May 2, 2014 10:15 AM

Aug 2010
Uhhhhhh, wow and here i was expecting a P3 remake or something.
May 2, 2014 10:18 AM

Feb 2011
Sure, I'll take it.
May 2, 2014 10:18 AM
Aug 2012
It would probably just cover the extra components Persona 4 Golden provides. The skii trip, valentines, Marie's dungeon etc.

Wait is this a 'fool' reboot?
May 2, 2014 10:20 AM
May 2013
Some people may disagree with me and that's okay, but I wouldn't mind a little less HanaKana in anime. It's not that I hate her or her voice (I've actually enjoyed a lot of her work), but there are some good young talented seiyuu and I think it would be nice if they got more opportunities instead of HanaKana, HanaKana, and more HanaKana season after season....

As for this one, I am interested. Don't know much about the game though.
HahalollawlMay 2, 2014 10:28 AM
May 2, 2014 10:21 AM

May 2012
What is so good about persona 4 ?

I watched about 7 or 8 episodes and then I dropped it. It feels like an episodic series and it very repetitive. You have people who get sucked by the TV in every episode, and then they fight a monster and save the victim and thats it. Sound like dumb and very repetitive to me without any real story. Not to mention that the characters are annoying.
May 2, 2014 10:22 AM
Oct 2012
What a waste of an announcement, here I was hoping for more P5 news, but nope they made a fortune off of P4 sales and want to do that shit again with P4G.... smh
May 2, 2014 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
Woah!
Will definitely be watching this.
And let's just hope that the animation will be better than the P4 anime. >__>
May 2, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2012
Persona 4 is my favorite game of all time (I played the game 10 times, 8 on PS2 and twice on Vita). I AM very excited about this, but we really need more attention on other MegaTen subseries (Devil Summoner and Devil Survivor in particular) as well as Persona 5.
VERY excited, don't get me wrong, but part of me feels disappointed that ATLUS is doing this.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
May 2, 2014 10:27 AM
Aug 2012
thepath said:

I watched about 7 or 8 episodes and then I dropped it. It feels like an episodic series and it very repetitive. You have people who get sucked by the TV in every episode, and then they fight a monster and save the victim and thats it. Sound like dumb and very repetitive to me without any real story. Not to mention that the characters are annoying.

Playing the Persona 4 game before the anime, I would say that the anime is something I'd hardly take seriously. It was fanservice for those who played beforehand. In the game itself the characters are far more tolerable and the themes are conveyed more fluid.
May 2, 2014 10:29 AM

Jan 2009
Seiji Kishi is the worst director you can ask for game adaption... Danganronapa, DESU2 and even P4 were games that really looked bad as an anime, and he directed them all.
May 2, 2014 10:32 AM
May 2012
Well, I am not familiar with the "Persona" games, and how they relate each other.
I still haven't watched any of the Persona Anime yet, but I will watch them sooner or later.
I guess this is good news. Also, Kana Hanazawa <3

Hahalollawl said:
Some people may disagree with me and that's okay, but I wouldn't mind a little less HanaKana in anime. It's not that I hate her or her voice (I've actually enjoyed a lot of her work), but there are some good young talented seiyuu and I think it would be nice if they got more opportunities instead of HanaKana, HanaKana, and more HanaKana season after season....

I agree with you, but why not both?? I know many talented, young beginner seiyuus, and I want them to have more roles too.
May 2, 2014 10:33 AM

Aug 2013
And now I have to start marathon-ing Persona (everything related) before this start airing....

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
May 2, 2014 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
I could only hope they will give this one a bigger budget than the original anime.
May 2, 2014 10:36 AM

May 2013
I was hoping that Persona 4 Golden was gonna get an anime adaptation. This is good news to me. Love the Persona series. I was hoping they can also animate Persona 4 Arena.
May 2, 2014 10:38 AM

Aug 2012
Changing the character designer is a massive plus in my opinion, A-1 Pictures isn't a bad choice either.
I've played through the game, but haven't had the chance to watch the anime. Guess I'll just ignore the other adaption then and go straight into this one.
They're probably remaking this because Kana Hanazawa wasn't in the first one, and she needs to be in everything.
.................................................................................
May 2, 2014 10:42 AM

Feb 2013
I love the Persona games (with P3 being my favorite) so I appreciate that very much! <3

May 2, 2014 10:43 AM

Jun 2012
I've seen Person 4 but have never played the games. So is Persona 4 Golden just the same story but with extra content?
(>'_')>#
~Here's a waffle, please calm down...

"See that? She's cute and popular. You could say that her milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. But YOU club President... your milkshakes are wasted on you. In other words, you're wasteful." ~D-Frag (Best.Reference.Ever.)
May 2, 2014 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
Awesome news! P4G was a pretty good game and HanaKana as the cute adorable tsundere girl, Marie? FUCK YES. Can't wait to see the ski trip, valentine's day and the epilogue scenes from the game!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
May 2, 2014 10:46 AM

Jan 2014
Love the games, definitely gonna check it out when it airs. I'm curious as to how the relation ships will play out. Guess ill just have to wait and see.
May 2, 2014 10:50 AM

Jul 2010
As if getting one mediocre Persona 4 adaptation wasn't enough. What's the point of making another anime of basically the same game? Gotta milk that cash cow I guess...
May 2, 2014 10:50 AM

Jan 2013
*sigh* This seems really pointless. I'll watch it because, hey Persona 4, but still. Hanakana as Marie seems very unfitting though.
May 2, 2014 11:02 AM

Aug 2007
Welp I wasn't expecting this. I thought they would be sneaky and say P5 would get an anime next year. I hope its a new studio since from what I remember of the ones who did it before were having troubles. Though I'll watch seeing all the Golden content being animated ought to make it good enough for me. :D
May 2, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2008
wow did not see that one coming
May 2, 2014 11:14 AM

Sep 2011
ATLUS should've just port Golden to a console system (PS3,PS4 or both) instead of green lighting a remake for an anime adaption which was decent at the very best. I've seen all the extras for Golden just now and man, I'd really like to play it again with all that. But a Vita, really?

I'll watch it but only because of my sympathy for the Persona series.
May 2, 2014 11:16 AM

Oct 2007
Hahalollawl said:

In this case she plays the character in the actual game so it wouldn't make much sense not to have her for the anime, but I kind of agree to an extent. She makes Megumi Hayashibara and Takehito Koyasu in the 90's look scarce by comparison.

The trailer looks a lot nicer than the first anime (A-1 isn't the best studio but they're probably an upgrade over AIC), I'll give the production that, but does that necessarily mean that the pacing and what not will be better?

pseudoenigma said:
*sigh* This seems really pointless. I'll watch it because, hey Persona 4, but still. Hanakana as Marie seems very unfitting though.

See the part above where she's always been the voice of Marie.
May 2, 2014 11:24 AM
Mar 2014
Hey let's make the same anime twice. Atlus loves milking that Persona 4.
But hey, looks way better than the P4 anime(animation wise), that one(P4Animation) looked like crap.
May 2, 2014 11:25 AM

Apr 2010
pseudoenigma said:

Its her voice in the original game. Whats unfitting about it? Just because the English voice director decided to change what she sounded like doesn't mean the original voice is wrong...

May 2, 2014 11:26 AM
Aug 2011
A-1 pictures, so the first 3 episodes will look amazing and then the rest will look... not as good.
May 2, 2014 11:34 AM

Aug 2012
Just... what? I didn't expect this coming, even in my dreams....
However....

Kana Hanazawa who will play of the role Marie from the game

Insta-PTW~
May 2, 2014 11:37 AM

Jul 2010
thepath said:

obvs the game not the anime...
May 2, 2014 11:38 AM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
See the part above where she's always been the voice of Marie.
Didn't know this. I might have grown accustomed to the dub, but, from the numerous times I've heard her voice, Hanakana playing a role like Marie really doesn't work.
RyanSaotome said:
Just because the English voice director decided to change what she sounded like doesn't mean the original voice is wrong...
doesn't mean the voice was right, either.

edit; looking over some of her roles, yeah she might be able to pull it off. I'll be surprised though.
Syrup-May 2, 2014 11:45 AM
May 2, 2014 11:41 AM

Jan 2011
Awesome!
[center]
May 2, 2014 11:48 AM

Feb 2014
Oh Atlus, you just keep milking and milking till the cow dies, don't you?
They've sunk so low in the past few years.

A remake after it's been out after just 2 years? This is just sad.

It's true their first attempt was incredibly bland and uninteresting but they should've just let it die and focus on new things.
Loved the series before, now it's just sad to watch.

Other SMT titles seem to have some respect left for them still but we'll see.
May 2, 2014 11:49 AM

Nov 2009
Persona 4 is my second favourite game in what is probably my favourite gaming franchise out there but I'm still really pissed at Atlus/whoever is responsible for this for milking it so much. Seriously, the first P4 anime came out merely 2 years ago and P4G doesn't even add that much new to the table. The only way this wouldn't be completely pointless and would be somewhat justifiable is if they focused at least 80% of the scenes on Marie. I'm not a big fan of her though, so I doubt I'd be watching even if that were the case unless fan-reaction ends up being supremely positive.
May 2, 2014 11:53 AM

Oct 2007
parfaited said:
A-1 pictures, so the first 3 episodes will look amazing and then the rest will look... not as good.

Sadly that's probably how this is going to play out.
May 2, 2014 11:57 AM

Feb 2009
I don't get it. They going to make an entire new anime just because of one new character? I know that the Golden version did not made major changes to the plotline, it just added new stuff, so make another anime just because of this seems pointless...

Or does Marie's presence really makes a change in the game? Is she really that important?
Friend Code 3DS: 4914-3165-5517
May 2, 2014 12:07 PM

Feb 2014
Danniel said:
I don't get it. They going to make an entire new anime just because of one new character? I know that the Golden version did not made major changes to the plotline, it just added new stuff, so make another anime just because of this seems pointless...

Or does Marie's presence really makes a change in the game? Is she really that important?

Lol no. She pretty much feels like a filler, really unneeded to the story but they put her so Final Boss makes more sense.
She's really hated by people too so releasing this doesn't help much.
May 2, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
While I don't think it's that necessary, I'm not all that surprised about it either. Really it's not that far off from the path Golden took in the first place. Just that instead of being 4 years after the original game came out this version is coming out a little under 3 years from the start time of the original anime.

Does seem like a strange move, but might also be them building up towards animating more of the expanded universe they've made for P4 that didn't exist back then. Though I don't think the idea of a Persona 4: Arena anime would thrill people more than this is XD.

There is new stuff to work with to be sure. Two more social links and new events. Still seems like it would be touching on familiar ground without a doubt.

It's easily milking the franchise, but doesn't mean it can't be it can't be the Golden version of the original anime. Better quality, more events, and easily the definitive experience.
May 2, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2010
Danniel said:

Shes a Kana Hanazawa waifu who has topped most of the character popularity polls since Golden.

May 2, 2014 12:24 PM

Apr 2010
I really don't get the point of retelling the whole story when the show has aired not even 3 years ago.
May 2, 2014 12:29 PM

Mar 2011
A-1 Pictures, no thank you !!
May 2, 2014 12:29 PM

Apr 2010
Icebreaker93 said:
A-1 Pictures, no thank you !!

It's the same team as the previous anime, so it really doesn't matter.
May 2, 2014 12:30 PM

Nov 2011
WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT?
Marie's not even fucking canon godscrotum. Just, ENOUGH.

That's just great. Now all of a sudden, Persona's becoming mainstream. And now we can't dare to ever expect anything decent from them ever again. Persona 4 this, Persona 4 that, shit. It will never be a new game with new characters ever again. And whatever happened to the characters from P1 and P2? How about THEM? Though I never played 1 or 2, I saw a pic showing the weapons of the main characters and how it was degrading with every +1 to the number after the P.

WHAT GOES ON?
May 2, 2014 12:33 PM

Mar 2008
zetsu_shoren said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT? Marie's not even fucking canon godscrotum. Just, ENOUGH.

That's just great. Now all of a sudden, Persona's becoming mainstream. And now we can't dare to ever expect anything decent from them ever again. Persona 4 this, Persona 4 that, shit. It will never be a new game with new characters ever again. And whatever happened to the characters from P1 and P2? How about THEM? Though I never played 1 or 2, I saw a pic showing the weapons of the main characters and how it was degrading with every +1 to the number after the P.

WHAT GOES ON?

Just going to ignore the fact that P5 is coming out later this year in Japan then?
May 2, 2014 12:33 PM

Dec 2012
Will watch solely because of Kana Hanazawa.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

13 by animegamer245 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.