Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 29, 2014 11:09 AM

Nov 2012
Great episode. Next episode we will finally see a real match. I am already excited... I can't wait to see how it will be.
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 29, 2014 12:12 PM

Sep 2008
Sidonia is 2.3k and this one is 1.8k on ratings...why people hate these 2 shows I don't understand.

Oh well, doesn't prevent me from enjoying it :p
Apr 29, 2014 7:38 PM

May 2012
-Ah, just started this anime and I must say that I am loving it so far! Watched all 4 episodes one after the other and I have to say that Ei-chan's learning progress is remarkable! And the fact that he even maintains his academic performance is in itself an accomplishment. I cant wait to see how he reacts in a real tournament. Plus with the sufficient amount of comedy and thrills, this might become one of my favs this season.

-Bring on ep5!
""You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things...
Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."
- Izaya

May 1, 2014 4:10 AM

Nov 2010
nina4life said:
Sidonia is 2.3k and this one is 1.8k on ratings...why people hate these 2 shows I don't understand.

Oh well, doesn't prevent me from enjoying it :p

They both have drawing styles (with lack of budget) which scares the viewers off
And you are right, they are both very enjoyable so far and interesting
May 1, 2014 8:52 AM

Jan 2011
Thus far I don't think the pace of development is too unrealistic. He isn't a total klutz to start with, and four months of regular practice under club coaching is going to have an effect. For a natural athlete with some advantages (exceptional eyesight and a quick reaction time--both of which are more inherent traits than anything you can build through practice) being at the point where you start playing in tournaments with no expectation of winning, seems about right.

And yes, it looks like a love triangle of some sort may be about to enter the picture.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

May 1, 2014 3:40 PM

Jun 2013
That guy that asked for directions speaking in English caught me off guard.
May 2, 2014 8:51 PM
May 2014
Just found this anime today, it's great! I just love that it is more realistic with tennis. I play tennis myself and when I began I was very analytical too. So I find a lot of similarities with my experiences and the show, so it's great! Form looks good too. Keep them coming!
May 10, 2014 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
Ei-Chan sure faint a lot xD
BUt he's putting so much effort in it, I can't help but be impressed by that.

What Natsu said hit home... It's really hard when people have expectation on your performance. I stopped playing piano partly because of that, gave me too much anxiety.

I already smell the love polygon incoming! Ei-chan x Natsu x Takuma x Megane-girl! :P
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 13, 2014 8:34 AM

Aug 2013
I laughed when the kids kept calling out when Ei-chan kept passing out XD

He draws the fifth seed for his first tourney? Tough luck. He'll lose but I have a feeling he's going to leave an impression on his opponent. I wonder how many notebooks are going to get filled after the match :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 26, 2014 3:40 AM

Jun 2011
I sure hope it doesn't get too unrealistic with Ei winning against the 5th seed or something. One does not simply win against a seed with years of training with just logic and notebook and talent.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 19, 2014 1:37 AM

Sep 2011
epicm14 said:
He's improving way too quickly, bc it usually takes someone a few years to get a good stroke and there's no way a beginner could return an extremely fast serve like that.
There's no way he can win this upcoming match, unless his opponent forfeits or something.

Is this comment too negative?

Tell that to the intense prospects in the world. It happens, rarely, but it happens. Those are what we call "prodigies".
Dec 28, 2014 12:37 PM

Dec 2012
So.. does Takuma like Natsu? I feel like that's it.. I don't want this to be an unrequited love D:
Jan 29, 2015 3:19 PM

Jun 2014
There are so many new characters that look like they will play a larger future role. The foreigner, the glasses girl, and the jealous blond classmate.

Mar 5, 2015 9:12 AM

Oct 2014
Great episode, I feel like this anime has a perfect balance between comedy and drama which I find to be very good!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2016 9:16 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Ownsin said:
Ashishgup said:

I second that.

Besides that, I'm also curious as to why, near the end of the episode, the guy in the school scowled at Eiichiro. Is his love interest that girl who likes him? I should think not.

He looked like he's envious of Eiichirou. Most probably Eiichirou got a higher score than him on the exams, and when he heard that he is also playing Tennis too while studying for the exams at the same time, he probably got more pissed etc...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing that guy again, the one who got pissed that Ei got better grades.

So he didn't win the match with Takuma, but he knew he was most likely going to lose because Ei was recording every trajectory which is why he was forced to change his final stroke I guess.

Natsu's talk with Ei was also nice. He sees her as some amazing strong person but she says that she's not the invincible person that Ei thinks about.

Mar 1, 2016 6:00 AM

Aug 2013
Ohh.. a competition already..?
To make it more believable they gave him good eyesights plus the brains and dedication huh.
What's with those sudden rivals appearance.. don't get mad just cause he dropped a few points.
That Yuuki kid deserves a medal too.. hahahha he's so funny.
Apr 3, 2016 9:19 PM

Feb 2015
Hmmm despite the rather quick growth, I think this is shaping up pretty well.

Baby Steps is obviously a different beast compared to PoT/Royma.
Dec 18, 2016 1:38 PM
Sep 2009
Wait, they said beginners tournament and yet you are putting top players against newbies?

I don't care what kind of prodigy Eichiro is but winning against 5th seed who is just 4 spats away from Takuma whose serve Ei couldn't even return is beyond unrealistic no matter how talented you are.

Why can't anime ever have a believable match? Just a very good beginner would be enough to start with.

If Ei wins, I'll really rage. Totally fed up with this prodigy bullshit in anime. Prodigies are not magicians. They do not become the best after one month, even they need more time to develop.
Dec 20, 2017 10:28 AM

Jun 2016
I had initially thought Maruo was going to return the serve just as Natsu walked in but it went differently than expected. He may as well have returned the serve with how Takuma switched what kind he did, but it was still unpredictable, for me at least.

I thought the line Natsu gave Maruo about tourney nerves was incredibly insightful. No one loses nerves completely. The best guy has the added pressure of not being able to lose to anyone below them. The worst guy has the fear of playing someone better than them. Anxiety about competition is always real and strong and someone's results don't mean they should inherently win anything. Always cheer for the person you want to win, don't just expect them to outright or cheer for the underdog! What a pretty dialogue.
Feb 20, 2019 8:18 PM
Apr 2016
Daaaamn he didn't punch him, I expected him to go hard... Tournaments FINALLY coming up, can't wait!
Jul 18, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2016
I love this cute, simplistic anime so far!

Some interesting comments about how unrealistic Ei-chan has been progressing, but I disagree. He trained for 2 months and has developed a basic skill set that is possible in really any sport. It's not like he is going pro and he is only 14 (I think). And also the big key factor: he is a hard ass worker who puts in the time and effort. We're seeing him go through harsh growing pains that anybody would. If anything, his development has been as realistic as it gets as far as a sports anime goes.

I would also compare him a little to Sakuragi. Although, the difference between the two was Sakuragi had a ton of upside and was genetically already made for basketball due to his size, strength and toughness. Ei-chan doesn't have any real tennis advantages that could help him right out of the gate.. but the coach did state he has remarkable eyesight, so maybe he does.

Of course, the big comparison between Sakuragi and Ei-chan: they're both hard workers.
Nov 16, 2020 12:08 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode. Maruo's continuing to evolve as a player. He couldn't return any of Takuma's serves properly but he was constantly getting more and more closer with returning Takuma's power serves, so much that Takuma had to use a slice serve to throw Maruo off and not have him win. Maruo's still in no way overpowered since he really couldn't return Takuma's serves properly, even if his reflexes were good enough to at least make consistent contact with Takuma's fast speed of 170 km/h serves.

He's even now in a tournament, where he'd have his first match ever soon enough. Natsu's the top seed in the Women's division of the tourney, but she's never overconfident about it. Being a top seed does have a lot of pressure with it too, to be able to not underperform and succeed without being humiliated early on. Maruo's there to root for her though, and vice versa, so a sweet little moment there.
Mar 22, 2022 10:59 AM

Jul 2021
There were many characters that I need to get used with especially the new ones but man a confession holy shit this is going pretty fast.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 11, 2022 6:00 AM

Sep 2018
I just realized where Ei-chan was standing on return position against Takuma's serving for pretty much all of it lol. My boy was opening himself up for that slice serve out wide.

And this 5th seed serve and volleyer better destroy Ei-chan or else I'm calling BS.
Apr 17, 2023 5:34 PM
May 2020
It was great how he kept getting better at hitting the ball, but still just barely failed to return the serve. Still, I really think this is too soon for him to enter a tournament.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.