Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2014 12:29 PM
Mar 2014
it was alright
Apr 26, 2014 12:30 PM

Jul 2012
It was a pretty boring episode. We have to wait till arc 2 starts.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Apr 26, 2014 12:30 PM

Oct 2009
Mizukis reactions, Jealous Miyuki and Blushing Mayumi made this episode for me.
Satomi Satous voice is one of my faves. Her voice fits Mizuki perfectly.
The Ice Princess makes her appearance.
Strange with no OP or ED scenes. it allowed more time for the rest so it's fine.

Bad things.
Jyuumonjis intro was far too.....masculine for my liking. O_o (Bad enough image I got from reading LN. I did not need an actual image that will probably haunt me x_X)
Haruka Onos voice was horrid. Overly cutesy and just wrong. (Liked OST during scene though)

Looking forward to next part should be good.
Anime, Food and Sleep Who needs anything more!
Apr 26, 2014 12:32 PM

Nov 2013
ok I'll be 100% honest here. I read all the translated light novels for mahouka and I love the light novel series to death but seriously though the adaptation is pretty bad in comparison to the light novels. That being said if they had explained psions, CAD and the Numbers in the first few episodes or something it would have been better not to mention those wonderful tatsuya monologues; if they included that it would have been waaay better. I understand where the fanboys are coming from too, heck I'm a fan boy of mahouka's anime too but I'm not blinded by it and I do agree with some of the anime only viewers It had potential to be better but because of stuff being cut from it couldn't get as good as it could get. But that doesn't mean it's going to be complete shit either it's definitely a fun show to watch and if they can include more of tatsuya's monologues and explain the most important terms then it could probably be better. But if someone doesn't like the series thats just their outlook on the series I have no right to accuse you and say that your taste in anime is shit just because our outlooks are different so point is if you don't like mahouka it really shouldn't matter to other people since it's just your opinion heck hate it to death if you want it shouldn't matter to me because thats really just your opinion I can't do much about it but accept it and continue watching this series
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
Apr 26, 2014 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
"next episode"

"next week"

"in the next arc"

"later"

"next season"

When does it stop?
Apr 26, 2014 12:35 PM

May 2011
Well that was rather anti-climatic. I was expecting to see a continuation of the cliffhanger ending of last episode. All i got was some boring briefing describing the last episode cliffhanger and fallout. It's a rather dull way to tell a story if you ask me.(Yeah I know, nobody asked. It's a figure of speech, smart guy/gal)

Tatsuya's mental moment where he talked about that "Jyumonji" guy was rather awkward. That physique comparison was a bit BL-ish.

And HOLY CRAP! Miyuki is a totally jealous Yandere. That girl freaks out over anything. Tatsuya might as well give up and go with the incest route. He'll never get laid otherwise. Miyuki will Popsicle any girl that gets close to him.
Apr 26, 2014 12:36 PM

Feb 2014
this episode was just a very long bsing of how magic works. We don't need to understand magic that what makes it magic...and this sister is starting to get annoying with her constant pestering.
Apr 26, 2014 12:37 PM
Oct 2012
The infodumps are not the problem, it is how the info dumps are being done that is the problem.

It also ties into the stupid decision to NOT have Tatsuya have his inner monologues.

First, when the MC is supposed to be emotionally impaired the inner monologues are essential to help the viewer sympathize with him; Second they could have been used to make the infodumps occur WHILE there is action on the screen instead of action talk talk talk action talk talk talk talk. It disrupts flow, and it is this disruption of flow that people are noticing.

A couple more points from reading the novel.

It is FAR clearer why the siblings are so close to one another in the novel. Had they bothered to show something like what happened in the car most viewers would have a great deal more sympathy for Miyuki. But the adapters were too busy making sure we "got" the incest vibe instead of the story.

They made Erika too bland when introducing her the first episode.

Third thing they screwed up, establishing from the start Tatsuya's connection to the CAD maker, the way they dropped it in last episode made it too OPish instead of being completely normal.

So I can pretty confidently say that its not the story, but the adaptation, and this makes SolviteSekai's point more valid. A writer can improve, but the writer has time. The adapters don't, so if they haven't made the show compelling yet (and as a viewer only (last time I can say this)), chances are they are not going to ever.
Apr 26, 2014 12:38 PM
Apr 2014
Kill the sister and this series might become a 4/10
Apr 26, 2014 12:38 PM
Apr 2008
God the little sister is obnoxiously annoying.. This could be a halfway decent show if the sister didn't exist.
Apr 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Dec 2013
i'm surprised i understood the nullification magic by using the CAD bit, but i'm itching my brain about some next secret organisation that they randomly blurted out.

It's good, but I didn't understand that bit, definitely interesting to watch though, looking forward to continuing this.
Apr 26, 2014 12:40 PM

Sep 2011
Miyuki is annoying as hell do you really want to fuck your brother that much? Boring ep, pretty much sum it up.
Apr 26, 2014 12:42 PM
Apr 2013
I am waiting for this damn show to live up to its hype but it has just been so-so and boring. The MC and his anti magic crap is also extremely boring. For a magic show no good magic is even being shown.

Apr 2013
SolviteSekai said:
"next episode"

"next week"

"in the next arc"

"later"

"next season"

When does it stop?
"BUT WAIT, THE NEXT ARC HAS THIS, THIS AND THIS IT'LL BE SO MUCH BETTER"
an egomaniac and a fool

Apr 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

The adapter should have created one line to sum up this explanation something like: "200 students, only 100 can graduate, for a weed to rise, a bloom has to fall".

Sorry, but your understanding is wrong, the first high school has a quota of 100 graduates... every over it is a plus, but there is no way that the school would deny any of its students to graduate. It's just a measure to garanty at least 100 graduates
Apr 26, 2014 12:43 PM
Apr 2014
From watching 4 episode of my favorite LN, madhouse made a ton of changes and cuts. seems they spend too much time on their fan service and action fetish madhouse do instead of getting Tatysua monologues right
and such is the consellor Haruaka looks too childish and the way they did miyeku scene in the the student council room was wrong.
Apr 26, 2014 12:46 PM
Apr 2013
flazeo25 said:
From watching 4 episode of my favorite LN, madhouse made a ton of changes and cuts. seems they spend too much time on their fan service and action fetish madhouse do instead of getting Tatysua monologues right
and such is the consellor Haruaka looks too childish and the way they did miyeku scene in the the student council room was wrong.

There is barely any action though. So far it has been 50% incest jokes and 50% boring explanations of magic.
Apr 26, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2011
Came to see the comments for this episode, pretty much the reactions I expected from this episode.

Quite disappointed there's no OP in this one, but I guess I could forgive it due the amount of info/explanation they provided.

Compared to the last episode, this episode was indeed a calm one. It felt a bit anti-climatic, but somehow it's good to see the seriousness tone in this episode.

I liked how they didn't make it complicated for Tatsuya's Cast Jamming explanation.

Still wish we would get to see some Tatsuya's inner thoughts/monologues.

They finally introduced Juumonji!

The lunch scene in the student council office was quite nice, I even get to see Mayumi blushing, perfect.

That scene with Ono-sensei.... awkward, I should say. And her voice was way too cute, ugh.
Apr 26, 2014 12:52 PM

May 2010
You know something's wrong with the main cast when right off the bat you're rooting for the first group of antagonists introduced. Please, Blanche, put down the objectivist scum. And when facing magicians as non-magicians, you fight fire with fire. Or you try to put out that fire completely (which Deus Ex: Human Revolution tried to do).

Speaking of which, this story feels like a ripoff of DE:HR, with Sarif Industries and Humanity Front, where the argument is that human augmentation is giving people an unfair advantage in life (for instance there's a sidequest in Hengsha dealing with a pricy social enhancement aug), causing people to rely on the expensive anti-rejection drug neuropozyne, amongst other things. Except it's done way better in DE:HR.
Apr 2014
wow i dont see why none of u blame tatsuya but his sister because it was tatsuya that save her from dying most of u want

May 2013
Miyuki gets jealuous easily lol. Tatsuya is gonna make sure that their high school life won't get ruined.
Apr 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Aug 2013
So I have read all the LN's and they were really good, and I could tolerate the relationship the siblings had because I knew it would go nowhere. But in the anime its so suggestive to the point where I had to skip this entire episode because I couldn't stand to see where the direction was going. At least in the LN they made it clear that this was a really close(albeit creepy) sibling love and abit of an unrequited one too. If you felt creeped out by this episode than that means they are doing something wrong.
"How you gona get up if you ain't never get down" - James Brown
Apr 26, 2014 12:54 PM
Oct 2013
Well the difference from Deus Ex is that you can't exactly get magic if you want to, your born with it and they are much smaller miniorty.
Apr 26, 2014 12:59 PM
Oct 2012
Vocah said:
Sorry, but your understanding is wrong, the first high school has a quota of 100 graduates... every over it is a plus, but there is no way that the school would deny any of its students to graduate. It's just a measure to garanty at least 100 graduates

Yes, but every good adaption has to take liberties with the text because you don't have the time to explain all the details to the viewer. If this point becomes important later, then it would be unacceptable, but if it doesn't then it does a great job at explaining why the VP and other Discipline member hate the weeds so much and why the President nominating a weed was so bad.

And in general it does explain things correctly, the blooms are elite, the weeds are there in case the blooms fail. That is the whole reason for the weeds existence, they serve as a constant reminder of the blooms to not screw up, putting pressure on the blooms. That is why the blooms hate the weeds.
Apr 26, 2014 12:59 PM

Apr 2010
Apr 26, 2014 1:00 PM
Oct 2013
Err idk the explaination giveing about weed and bloom in second ARC doesn't support this at all. The real reason weed and bloom exist is really funny to be honest XD
Apr 26, 2014 1:00 PM

May 2012
Gonna drop this soon.. since ep1 nothing happens except MC is a GOD..

Apr 26, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2014
If Miyuki had 2% of her current number of lines this anime would be at least 50% better.
Apr 26, 2014 1:05 PM
Oct 2013
I'm not even going to say wait, if people want to drop it just drop it please -.- Stop threatening us like it some how matters if you drop it or not.
Apr 26, 2014 1:07 PM

Jul 2009
300 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
guestlol said:
the action is next episode this just setup the plot

You know, sometimes you just have to tip over the applecart when someone sets it up so enticingly on the brink of a precipice. So let the 30 pages of rants officially begin!

Plot? What plot. Just an OP being even more OPish. Having simple enemies getting devastated by his OPness is not a plot.....

And please dear god stop pumping the siscest angle. We get it. Seriously we do. I swear I would actually enjoy their getting together in an "unholy" union than having paraded around every single episode with banners and trumpets. Have about a little subtlety for a change?

Rant off.
drop it then, no one cares.
SolviteSekai said:
I like how the people here are pretending its not them that are upset about how boring it is.

Stop projecting.
you've been QQ'ing about this anime every episode discussion.. move on bro.

Episode 1 actually has 41 pages of discussion so far. Doubt Episode 3 will reach that in the near future.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 26, 2014 1:09 PM

May 2013
I like this show but sometimes its hard to follow cuz of all the complicated sentences and the unusual amount of info
Apr 26, 2014 1:09 PM

Apr 2014
Well I might as well add that this episode's onii-sama count was 16.
Miyuki...you go girl!!! annoy the fuck out of us
Apr 26, 2014 1:10 PM

Dec 2011
Z4k said:
Well I might as well add that this episode's onii-sama count was 16.
Miyuki...you go girl!!! annoy the fuck out of us

Been wanting to post this, but you got there first :p
Apr 26, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
I really wish Bones had adapted this show.

Madhouse really can't do anything but shows about kung fu.
Apr 26, 2014 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
Call me again if it at least have reach part 2 of Nine School Competiton. This is too boring.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 26, 2014 1:12 PM
Oct 2013
Well some people who didn't like the anime stop watching and moved on with their lives after ep 1, some still haven;t =X
Apr 26, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2012
Miyuki is annoying.
Apr 26, 2014 1:14 PM

May 2010
RexZShadow said:
Well the difference from Deus Ex is that you can't exactly get magic if you want to, your born with it and they are much smaller miniorty.

Even with the near ubiquity of mechanical augmentations, they are still prohibitively expensive for most people to adopt so they can keep up, so while genetic limitations are in Mahouka, financial/social limitations exist in Deus Ex, each serving as a roadblock in their respective universes either way.
Apr 26, 2014 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
RexZShadow said:
Well some people who didn't like the anime stop watching and moved on with their lives after ep 1, some still haven;t =X

I like how you have this elitist mindset that puts anyone who doesn't like the show or who hadnt read this novel below you.

Even the novel is generic shounen that's comparable to sword art online.
Apr 26, 2014 1:24 PM

Mar 2014
A good episode IMO the yandere Imoto level is over 9000, which I found hilarious. I Live for that Mayumi Blush, Best Girl! :)
Oct 2013
SolviteSekai said:
RexZShadow said:

I like how you have this elitist mindset that puts anyone who doesn't like the show or who hadnt read this novel below you.

Even the novel is generic shounen that's comparable to sword art online.

Reading comprehension please, simple stating some people who said they don't like the show dropped and moved on with lives, while other feel the need to repeativly express the same opinion over and over again. Idk if that has anything to do with being above people who don't like the whos or didn't read the LN, you really need to read instead of throwing the same thing over and over.

Mar 2012
RexZShadow said:
So do this thread restricted only for people that like the show?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 26, 2014 1:26 PM
Oct 2013
NeoAnkara said:
RexZShadow said:

Well I'm curious to see why people toruture themselves with something they think its bad, maybe just me but seems kinda counter productive since the point of anime is entertaiment, unless its your job to review anime and you make a living out of it like movie reviewer or something.
Apr 26, 2014 1:28 PM
Oct 2012
RexZShadow said:
Reading comprehension please, simple stating some people who said they don't like the show dropped and moved on with lives, while other feel the need to repeativly express the same opinion over and over again.

Because there is a difference between bad and disappointing.

It is easier to drop a "bad" show, a "disappointing" show keeps you around because you can see how it could become better and consequently become more frustrated when it doesn't.
Apr 26, 2014 1:29 PM

Oct 2013
I was introduced first to the manga, which frankly can introduce the reader much better than this anime, it becomes boring at times the show without giving reasons why incest, or without giving any explanation of the character miyuki. if I know what I know of the work, for me to miyuki is one of those typical anime characters who simply want to give everything away and brother over. and I've read the 12 volumes, and never filled me with incest because it had character traits qie defined and why it was more geared to serve the comedy in most cases, but in 4 episodes the production team can make I skip those moments because they are boring.
I am a reader of ln, and though I like a lot, think very stressful this intense defense work said. at first, since you miss the fact that the number of intense spoilers if you have question right away, adding constant discussions that lead nowhere.
Well, I follow the forum a long time, even if you've never commented, and visualized all the discussions about this anime. and really, although there are q people just want to be haters for attention and nothing more, see here really valid complaints. Then, nice to meet you!
I am Hatedmainofanime. More no one.
Apr 26, 2014 1:32 PM

May 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
RexZShadow said:
Reading comprehension please, simple stating some people who said they don't like the show dropped and moved on with lives, while other feel the need to repeativly express the same opinion over and over again.

Because there is a difference between bad and disappointing.

It is easier to drop a "bad" show, a "disappointing" show keeps you around because you can see how it could become better and consequently become more frustrated when it doesn't.
Its exactly what I want to say,. :)

Apr 26, 2014 1:33 PM

Mar 2012
RexZShadow said:
NeoAnkara said:
RexZShadow said:

Well I'm curious to see why people toruture themselves with something they think its bad, maybe just me but seems kinda counter productive since the point of anime is entertaiment, unless its your job to review anime and you make a living out of it like movie reviewer or something.
There is this thing called expectation. Why they still watch this is because they hope for improvement.
Apr 26, 2014 1:36 PM
Oct 2013
NeoAnkara said:
RexZShadow said:
NeoAnkara said:
RexZShadow said:

There is this thing called expectation. Why they still watch this is because they hope for improvement.

I can see that but still doesn't explain repeativly posting the same thing in a single thread lol. Like o this ep was disappointing coz blah blah blah. but you know when you see it like 5-10 time in a thread its really makes me wonder.

Edit: be back in 1hr RIP XDG
Apr 26, 2014 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
I agree. From now on I wont call the show bad.

It's disappointing.

The moment I saw a show this complex was being made by madhouse I got kind of concerned.

Hunter X Hunter is a great show, but its not exactly NGE or anything.

I think Bones or UFOtable could have done a better job with a show like this.
Apr 26, 2014 1:41 PM
Feb 2013
Whoa, the plot thickens and it's getting interesting.

So, I'm thinking that the guy who attacked Tatsuya, will be appearing anytime soon.

Looks like somebody is using Mibu.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.