Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2014 10:53 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A Chinese RAW is out earlier today. Anyways, the chess game...pretty badass.

We get a challenger and of course it's the MC Sora against that girl. Decent stuff and I'm digging the OST of this episode. But of course, Sora finds a way. The way the game is portrayed really stood out in their world too imo with the Knight and the Queen. The siblings' teamwork is quite something.

And oh God, I swear, all these references:
http://imgur.com/OZFTZvA
Stark700Apr 22, 2014 11:19 PM
Apr 22, 2014 11:07 PM
Jun 2011
shiro was badass in the start of the game and held up without problem until she needed sora to take from there
Apr 23, 2014 4:50 AM

Aug 2013
Lol at another Jojo reference. But i hope they won't overuse this joke later.

So the hogwarts-style chess game has begun, Poor Shiro she couldn't command the chess pieces completely, luckily Sora is there to help her.

And yeah, love could change the tides of war. Honestly i kinda dislike this part even in the LN but whatever.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't conclude the chess game on this episode.
Apr 23, 2014 6:54 AM

Feb 2008
This chess game was hilarious and fun. :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Apr 23, 2014 7:01 AM

Nov 2008
MOE WA SEIGI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 23, 2014 8:03 AM

Jan 2011
Blackbird said:

Thats what anime does to chess :D
I personally didnt like it though.
Apr 23, 2014 8:25 AM

Aug 2007
An enjoyable episode. Dat Phoenix Wright style of objection was pure win. :D Chess game was pretty good but I wasn't expecting it to take a turn like this. I'm already excited for the next episode it needs to get here now.
Apr 23, 2014 8:31 AM
Oct 2012
AlexGK said:
Blackbird said:

Thats what anime does to chess :D
I personally didnt like it though.

As the show said it wasn't really chess, it was a battle arranged to look like chess.

The fun thing about this episode is that while people talk about the tactics of the Spartans or Alexander, it wasn't their tactics so much that won their battles, it was either their discipline (Sparta/Alexander) or their passion (Rome). So Sora was quite right in understanding that once the enemy Girl gave the pieces "will", he had to inspire them to fight, because all she was doing was using force. And just like what helped Napoleon will many of his battles, the French soldiers were fighting for their home land, the other countries were fighting for pay (this changed after Napoleon dominated their defeated countries and they formed national armies to fight).

Now of course the "cute" angle was overplayed for comedy value (and well played), and Sora's list of reasons to fight weren't exactly what motivates people, again for the modern age and in a Japan that has just seen their consumption tax doubled, it does make a relatively good bit of history and a fun story.

And the queen deploying chivalry to convert the knight was a nice touch.

Other thoughts:
Wonder what their favorite 3 quotes are.
Wonder why the JoJo author is letting them do this, generally they only do this with friends.
Apr 23, 2014 9:07 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah i think we can officiially call this the best anime of the season... Again, it saddens me it will be just 12 episodes
Apr 23, 2014 9:12 AM

Jun 2013
That was one awesome game of chess. Great episode once again.
Apr 23, 2014 9:14 AM

Nov 2012
Omg, Jojo reference, that was awesome.
This was a really intense episode.
Poor Shiro, she tried so hard.
That motivation from Sora to the chess pieces was hillarious.
Playing romance games pays off for Sora.
The battle is not over yet, let's see how it concludes in the next episode(s).
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 23, 2014 9:17 AM

May 2012
Shiro cutest loli ever!

Amazing episode. They took chess to a whole new level. Sora is mad funny. Wasn't expecting him to go sweet talk the queen like that. That team work and passion those chess pieces showed their king and queen.

Great episode. Why this episode couldn't be a little longer? Why?
Apr 23, 2014 9:18 AM

Jun 2012
Ridiculous and stupid but fun
More things like the "chess" game in the future and less of eps 1/2 please
Apr 23, 2014 9:19 AM

May 2013
Good episode agian :)
Now to wait another week for next ;_;
Apr 23, 2014 9:20 AM

Aug 2012
huh? ,You think we're retards who just sit around and wait for the enemy?

Best line ever :D
Apr 23, 2014 9:22 AM

Mar 2012
Why must they tprutre me with every episode ending in a cliff hanger. i just wish they would end at least one episode with a bit of closure so as each passing week i wouldn't have to be suffer the wait for the next episode.

Which shows how much fun this series is .

My god sora was so over dramatic but delivered it so perfectly and to be honest his behaviour is practically what most of us if we ever had the opportunity to experience the same situation he and his sister are in would do.
Apr 23, 2014 9:26 AM

Oct 2012
that is some next level chess, very interesting though :P
Apr 23, 2014 9:27 AM

Sep 2013
Damn awesome episode. Left me enthralled. 5/5
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Apr 23, 2014 9:29 AM

Jul 2013
lol now this is epic chess, complete with epic speeches about the righteousness of moe and all xD
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 23, 2014 9:31 AM

Jan 2014
Cutness,a way to reach a soldiers heart......xDI realy like this anime it will be in my top 5 of this season for sure.
Apr 23, 2014 9:34 AM

Aug 2013
-Sci said:
huh? ,You think we're retards who just sit around and wait for the enemy?

Best line ever :D

I really laugh hard on this line too. Great episode I love it. :)
Apr 23, 2014 9:35 AM

Aug 2010
EPIC episode :D Loved it so much!! THANK U BASED MADHOUSE >.< Amazing adaption :3

Loved the Phoenix Wright "OBJECTION" XD and the Jojo parody XD How Sora and Shiro said another on their lines they want to say list XD

Sora teasing Kurami saying "I was just saying for example" when he said she was using Elves and she flustered and "I'm gonna be kind enough to not ask why u don't want want to play poker" after the Elf was gone XD Nice stuff. And how he said Kurami isn't photogenic hehe.

Sora's announcement that if it's not an impossible game they'll definitely win was BA!

Lol'd so much at Sora thinking "Uwaah" and Shiro saying it out a loud was hilarious XD

Poor Shiro when the pieces weren't listening to her T^T She looked so adorable but so sad how she was about to cry :*( Damn soldiers!!

The way Sora hugged her and announced to all the soldiers that they can bang any girl they want XD DAT SPEECH!!!!! A true virgin's SPEECH!! How all the soldier's got hyped was so awesome >.<

The way he didn't even give Kurami a turn and she was complaining leading him to say since when do people wait for the enemy's turn in war hahahaha

And the way he just told the king and queen the get the hell out of their seat and into the front line hehehe and how he was talking bad about their king and queen XD

The best speech was about how they could have Shiro as their queen and saying "AND U CALL URSELVES MEN!!!" XDXDXD SO HILARIOUS XD With his announcement that CUTENESS IS JUSTICE!!!!!! BEST LEADER EVER XD

It was nice to see that Sora isn't OP and that he can make mistakes but can improvise in the instant XDXD The way he seduced the queen onto his side with his Galge experience was so hilarious XD

Shiro's "Dai-Jo-bu" was so damn adorable >.< So cute <3<3<3

Well brilliant ep! Based MH! And Ai Kayano and Yoshitsugu are bringing out all the amazing feelz >.< Awesome stuff :D Shiro is definitely loli of the season :P

But really, Mad House should win the best studio award for bringing out all those consecutive epic eps, first HxH and now NGNL ^^
Apr 23, 2014 9:39 AM

Aug 2008
LOL! That Jojo reference.

Sora speech during the chess game is just epic.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Apr 23, 2014 9:46 AM

May 2012
"You king and queen! get your asses to the front line" haha.. never laugh so hard lately that makes my stomach hurts.. can you make the poll from 1-10 coz i wanna vote for 11.. :)

Apr 23, 2014 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
OBJECTION! The references never end XD. This is officially my favourite show for the season. I want the next episode now! This show is too freaking epic!
Watch Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, you wont be disappointed. http://q.pokefarm.org/user/Uran10
Check out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz0PrV3Vh-ksW0mzOWnnSQ

Apr 23, 2014 9:47 AM

Apr 2013
Haha. Finally. Things are started to get rolling. I loved the groundwork that they laid in the first 2 episodes but this is what I've been waiting for. And I love the comedy and all the great references. Madhouse does not disappoint.

And Shiro = Kawaii. Science.
dankzelApr 23, 2014 3:16 PM
Apr 23, 2014 9:48 AM

Oct 2012
lol the references

using that kawaii loli power to win over the chess pieces xD

and then winning the queen over LOL romance simulation game skills at its best

i want another ep T^T (ugh...next week..)
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Apr 23, 2014 9:49 AM

May 2013
Lol that JoJo reference. This chess match is really good. Can't wait to see the conclusion of it.
Apr 23, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2013
Man,that Phoenix Wright Objection! reference even got its own theme,I wonder if they will have more video game references. :P
Apr 23, 2014 9:54 AM

Jun 2008
Had a few problems with the episode... like how they didn't include Sora commanding a black knight into defending itself from a pawn... (yes, black, the enemy's color)
And how he didn't add at the end of his speech - "We will beat you in this game you got from the Elves by selling this or that hole. The price of making my sister cry is high you prostitute!"
Somehow that part was just too good to leave out...

And finally, how the episode didn't conclude the whole match...
Apr 23, 2014 9:56 AM

Jul 2012
Chess + Loli + Epic mind game

10/10 best anime ever made
Apr 23, 2014 9:58 AM

Apr 2007
I was kind of hoping for a straight chess match but hey, a chess-in-name-only all-out battle is okay too. I laughed at Sora's rallying speech. That's how you motivate troops.

I'm hoping for more actual game strategy in the future, though.
Apr 23, 2014 10:00 AM

Oct 2011
GreenDrag said:
Had a few problems with the episode... like how they didn't include Sora commanding a black knight into defending itself from a pawn... (yes, black, the enemy's color)
And how he didn't add at the end of his speech - "We will beat you in this game you got from the Elves by selling this or that hole. The price of making my sister cry is high you prostitute!"
Somehow that part was just too good to leave out...

And finally, how the episode didn't conclude the whole match...

It's a LN adaptation. Sometimes there's too much words and they have to cut some stuff out. That's not to say I wouldn't like to hear that though.
Apr 23, 2014 10:01 AM

Apr 2010
With this anime i get the feeling which i normally get with good anime that have five minute episodes, the episodes are just to short.
Even the the episodes in this anime are 22 minutes excluding the OP and ED they are just to short the episodes should at least be an hour.
I just want more of this anime.

I probably don't have to say that i thought this episode was great.
Tho the cute logic didn't work on me, everything else did.
Apr 23, 2014 10:04 AM

Mar 2014
Eps 1 and 2 were 10/10 for me. This was barely 3/5.

I was so hyped by the whole setup, but this "chess game" or strategy call it whatever you want totally ruined my mood for it.
I believe the reason is the use of magic. I thought the concept was about fair battles that can drain the full of our main characters' potential, let em be baddass and owning.
Meaning Shiro owning fair battles and Sora spot the use of magic and embarrasingly win the game. The whole "yeah you use magic but cant prove it so i will go low -as to kneel in front of goddamn pawns-" was just...bad.

For me this was a parody episode, i hope it doesnt keep going to that direction.
Everybody has the right to have his own opinion on something.And you do have the right to disagree with them.But that doesnt give you the right to impose your opinion on others, even though you do have the right to think you are fucking awesome.
Apr 23, 2014 10:04 AM

Jun 2008
Aversa said:
With this anime i get the feeling which i normally get with good anime that have five minute episodes, the episodes are just to short.
Even the the episodes in this anime are 22 minutes excluding the OP and ED they are just to short the episodes should at least be an hour.
I just want more of this anime.

I probably don't have to say that i thought this episode was great.
Tho the cute logic didn't work on me, everything else did.

Honestly speaking, if the anime had an entire channel broadcasting it 24/7, it still would feel short... (24/7 as in one episode a day, 24 hours per episode)
Apr 23, 2014 10:06 AM

Oct 2011
a_cloud said:
Eps 1 and 2 were 10/10 for me. This was barely 3/5.

I was so hyped by the whole setup, but this "chess game" or strategy call it whatever you want totally ruined my mood for it.
I believe the reason is the use of magic. I thought the concept was about fair battles that can drain the full of our main characters' potential, let em be baddass and owning.
Meaning Shiro owning fair battles and Sora spot the use of magic and embarrasingly win the game. The whole "yeah you use magic but cant prove it so i will go low -as to kneel in front of goddamn pawns-" was just...bad.

For me this was a parody episode, i hope it doesnt keep going to that direction.

You might as well drop this right now if you're not a fan of that. Based on the LNs, it doesn't take itself seriously most of the time.
Apr 23, 2014 10:08 AM

Nov 2012
I'm really loving this, that is the most badass game of chess ever. Lol @ JJBA reference.
Apr 23, 2014 10:09 AM

Jul 2010
Lol with this was funny.
This is not chess but a war. The drama!
Cuteness wins the hearts of man xD
Great episode, really bizarre!
Apr 23, 2014 10:10 AM

Jan 2012
" AND YOU CALL YOURSELVES MEN?! "
Apr 23, 2014 10:10 AM

Feb 2008
Next week is not a spoiler and they won chess match.
Indeed looking forward for the next episode too. :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Apr 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2013
Hilarious episode. One of my favorites show this season. Why is it only 12 eps..
Apr 23, 2014 10:16 AM

Mar 2012
I might be in the minority here but I was kind of disappointed with the way this episode worked out. I personally really liked the numbers and mind games in the last episode when Sora played rock-paper-scissors with Stephanie. This episode could've done something like it, but instead resorted to some cheap gimmicks in my opinion. I can more or less be okay with the appeal to the troops themselves early on, but that scene when Sora converted the queen was just absolute nonsense to me. I'm sad to say that this didn't really end up being a battle of the minds as I would've imagined with this series.
Apr 23, 2014 10:17 AM

Mar 2010
Omg that was soooo lol..... Great episode!
Apr 23, 2014 10:26 AM
Jan 2010
That was bullshit but I liked it.
Apr 23, 2014 10:26 AM

Feb 2010
This was pretty goddamn entertaining at least ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What da fuck ROFL! @15 min mark xD Best ANIME EVER HAHAHAHA

Apr 23, 2014 10:29 AM

Apr 2011
"Anyone who fights valiantly in battle will earn the right to bang any woman they like!"

EPIC!
Apr 23, 2014 10:30 AM

Nov 2013
I'm not sure whether to facepalm or laugh at that sudden turn of events. Sure in the end battles can be won without fighting makes sense, but judging by what one poster said earlier it won't take itself seriously most of the time which probably means there will be more power ups that make sense in a way but are just plain...stupid.

3/5
LoL summoner name: Dongblaster
Steam: We're Andr Attack
3DS FC 5472-7177-5620
Please PM me before adding any of these
Apr 23, 2014 10:31 AM

Mar 2014
Kawaii wa Seigi!

I didn't know the rules of chess. Now I know it requires charismatic agitation for a battle. lol. Thank you, Sora. I enjoy this series, although the direction of it is different from I expected.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.