Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 22, 2014 3:47 PM

Jun 2013
hey guys,
I watched the first 2 episodes and I must say it gives me some durarara feels and it's nice xD
BUT i see the series get alot of hate. is it becouse the animation ? cuz I don't think it's bad, it goes well with the atmosphere. or is it that it doesn't follow the original story (manga / novel )?

am i a fool to hope for anything close to drrr!!! from this series ?
Apr 22, 2014 4:11 PM

Mar 2013
It really bothers me that ever since the anime came out, I've been seeing people complaining about the animations, the art, and even the characters themselves. Can’t we all just be happy that we got an anime? I mean, I love the anime so far, and it really makes me sad to see so much hate for it already, especially from old fans. I personally was a bit disappoint with the art, but tbh I think it's kind of unique. I really hope people give it a chance and just let themselves enjoy the show without comparing it to anything else.

Let us dance
to this
twisted rhythm
Apr 22, 2014 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
I wouldn't call what I've posted anything close to hate, I've mainly given small complaints mainly directed at the awkward pacing and the introduction of one character per episode. Of course it's SHAFT so who knows what exactly we're going to get.
Apr 22, 2014 4:20 PM

Apr 2013
The second episode was boring
Apr 22, 2014 11:16 PM
Jul 2012
Cupquake said:

how was it boring? it was a lot better in terms of pacing compared to episode 1, sure nothing drastic like a terrorist attack happened, but it was still better
Apr 22, 2014 11:52 PM

Oct 2009
Im with Cupquake. The 1st episode really got me into thinking this was gonna be "the anime" , but the 2nd ruined it.
The difference between the 1st ep and the 2nd ep is huge.
Going from "Extreme hostage situation and a hikikomori with a unreal girlfriend" to a "Oh gosh , Im so famous, Poor me for being an Idol" killed it...
Gib [img] plz
Apr 23, 2014 1:12 AM

Jan 2014
I've also seen people say that they dropped this series after the 2nd episode cause it was too 'boring' or 'nothing but disappointment'. It won't be my fault if they miss out on the buzz when episode 4 comes out.
Heheheh...
Apr 23, 2014 1:16 AM

Mar 2010
Yeah its quite good imo. Episode 1 have this amazing hilarious elements.
Episode 2..well.."LESS ENTERTAINING". I would say. haha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2012
i don't hate it, i actually can't say whether i like it or not.. because nothing really happened yet..
what annoys me though is shaft's overuse of their gimmicks
Apr 23, 2014 1:46 AM

Mar 2013
Ala2-Kordy said:
Can’t we all just be happy that we got an anime?

No, because the music videos had better animation.

zaharel said:
is it becouse the animation ? cuz I don't think it's bad, it goes well with the atmosphere.

They couldn't even be bothered to color it properly.

The animation is pretty bad... it's dissapointing because Nisekoi, produced by the same studio, looks so good... They even used more than 3 frames for the lip flap! and not just once, but all the time! By comparison, this is pretty bad. It's like shaft pulled 5 all nighters in a row adding flourishes to Nisekoi, then in the 5 minutes they had left before they all crashed, they scribbled out an episode of this.

Also, Akiyuki Shinbo's directorial style is really heavy handed, to the point where it pretty much overwhelms every other aspect of the show. All I see are the elements of Shinbo's style, to the point where the show itself seems to be nothing more than a backdrop. It doesn't feel like I'm watching Mekaku City Actors, it feels like I'm watching The Garden of Akiyuki Shinbo.

Although with all that said... I'll still watch it to the end.
Apr 23, 2014 3:02 AM

Dec 2012
fst said:

You know that one Attack on Titan episode where they forgot to color the rocks? That's "not colored properly". This is "changes in color and tone, based on abstracted lighting and the director's surreal sense of style".

Anyway, episode one was pretty awful, but after episode two I'm on board for a couple more episodes at the very least.
Apr 23, 2014 3:09 AM

Apr 2013
KLBricks9129 said:
I've also seen people say that they dropped this series after the 2nd episode cause it was too 'boring' or 'nothing but disappointment'. It won't be my fault if they miss out on the buzz when episode 4 comes out.
Heheheh...

Agree with this one.
"As long as you're alive, something happy bound to happens"
-What a Wonderful World
Apr 23, 2014 4:34 AM
Nov 2012
LoLyeah said:
KLBricks9129 said:
Heheheh...

Agree with this one.

Because episode 4 will be

as stated on its official website

MAN I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT(Pssst.... hope they doesn't ruin it
Apr 23, 2014 6:30 AM

Jan 2014
gilayans said:
LoLyeah said:
KLBricks9129 said:
Heheheh...

Agree with this one.

Because episode 4 will be

as stated on its official website

MAN I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT(Pssst.... hope they doesn't ruin it

I hope they'll include the part where...

If they don't include that, I'll just lose hope in shaft all together. I'm not saying that I'll give up the show. I'll watch the show to the end cause I LOVE KAGEROU PROJECT!!
Apr 23, 2014 6:46 AM

Jan 2014
I don't know, everyone choose to hate what they want and to love what they want..
I personally love this show.
I've never read the manga or novel (I don't know what source this anime takes), so I don't know what's about, but even though I've watched 2 episodes I feel this is something great.
I don't know if people complaints mostly about artwork, but I find it pretty much unique and good.
I am not objective because I always loved this kind of art, so.. but I like it so much.
The pace is quite slow, I totally agree with who complaints about it, but I've never felt that an handicap because what this anime told us and the way it did it made me fully enjoy it.
Apr 23, 2014 6:51 AM

Jan 2013
I think people are just getting burnt out on Shinbou's stuff.

Just in the last 6 months Shaft has released:

1. Madoka Movie 3
2. Monogatari 2
3. Nisekoi
4. Mekakucity Actors

It's getting kind of played out when its in so many shows all at once.
Apr 23, 2014 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
tery999 said:
Im with Cupquake. The 1st episode really got me into thinking this was gonna be "the anime" , but the 2nd ruined it.
The difference between the 1st ep and the 2nd ep is huge.
Going from "Extreme hostage situation and a hikikomori with a unreal girlfriend" to a "Oh gosh , Im so famous, Poor me for being an Idol" killed it...

LOL

Ep 2 wasnt edgy enough.
Apr 23, 2014 6:55 AM
Dec 2012
Maybe because of Shinbou Akiyuki? He's is doing same stuff over and over again, no slight improvement as a director. Sometimes it may be acceptable, when base material has at least more interesting dialogs ( like monotogari), but city actors are far from it.
Apr 23, 2014 6:56 AM

Jan 2013
Nemesis0 said:
Maybe because of Shinbou Akiyuki? He's is doing same stuff over and over again, no slight improvement as a director. Sometimes it may be acceptable, when base material has at least more interesting dialogs ( like monotogari), but city actors are far from it.

A lot of the dialogue in monogatari (anime) is from shinbou.

The guy who directed Toradora has been making the same shitty romcoms since 10 years ago and nobody gives him shit.

Shinbou is becoming infamous because unlike other directors who do the same shit all the time, the stuff he does is pronounced and hard to ignore.
Apr 23, 2014 7:03 AM
Dec 2012
Yea, you have a good point, friend.
Apr 23, 2014 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
I wont disagree that this show is perhaps too similar to monogatari, especially compared to Nisekoi, but most directors have their trademarks.

Shinbou's trademarks are all just quirky and obvious.
Apr 23, 2014 8:58 AM

Sep 2011
Aside from Shaft production complaints, what confuses me are the complaints about the writing and its faithfulness as an adaptation. I have little to no knowledge of the Kagerou Project, but I've seen a fair number of complaints about characterization deviating from the source material (not necessarily here, but on various blog sites). Which leads me to the puzzling part, isn't this written by Jin, the creator of Kagerou Project himself? Which is somewhat odd (?) since wouldn't the creator know about their characters more than anyone else? Unless of course the creator just decided to re-do the various personalities/depictions of certain characters but I somehow doubt that he's suddenly decided to botch his own work (maybe just taking a different approach this time?)
ronriApr 23, 2014 1:02 PM
Apr 23, 2014 10:03 AM

Nov 2013
As someone who doesn't care who made it or what it's based on at all...

The show isn't good at all to me. Animation really is bad. There is no plot (these kids with weird powers joining a group like them isn't much to get excited over). It's jumbled.

I can tell they're going for a certain style and it's just... no backbone. Your show shouldn't be based on a style that holds it together. It reminds me of FLCL so much it's painful (which I regard as the worst anime I have ever seen in my life).

I'm not a versed critic or anything... I just dislike it.
Apr 23, 2014 11:44 AM

Jul 2011
I really don't get it to be honest. My knowledge of KagePro is very limited, but I went into this show pretty blind and was absolutely hooked on the interesting story-telling, vibrant color palette, and diverse cast of voices. The characters are introduced in a very interesting way and they aren't just handed to us on a silver platter. We are thrown into a story where we're not 100% sure of what's going on (for those new to the world at least), but can piece together a lot by connecting the dots.

Sure, the usual Shaft signatures are everywhere, but at the same time, it just seems to work. Maybe it's because I have no previous bias from the source material, but I think the Shaft-style production actually fits the show. Perhaps its a similar situation as the Tsukihime anime (there is no Tsukihime anime), where most who actually enjoyed the show had never touched the VN. Regardless of previous knowledge though, I'm personally enjoying Mekakucity Actors and I think they've got a good episodic format going and I'm excited to continue piecing the story together through the introductions of characters.

Like ronri said, Jin is working on this project as well. He may not have absolute authority on the project, but I'm sure the studio is consulting him heavily and making sure it at least adheres to his vision of the world he created. Even if things change somewhat, they always do in adaptations due to the nature of the format of anime. Besides, who is to say Jin wasn't waiting for an opportunity to explore a different side of the project? Different doesn't always mean bad or wrong.

Perhaps more people need to approach this with an open mind or perhaps I'm just screwed in the head, but I don't see much of a reason to dislike this show right now.
VerdaleApr 23, 2014 12:11 PM
Apr 23, 2014 12:40 PM

Oct 2011
I can understand that everyone want something great for KagePro, I want it too. But I think that because of that, everyone is easily upset.
Apr 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2011
zaharel said:
is it becouse the animation ? cuz I don't think it's bad

Somehow it feels like they are reusing too much animation from monogatari series and just slightly rearrange it.
Apr 23, 2014 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
DrCakey said:
fst said:

You know that one Attack on Titan episode where they forgot to color the rocks? That's "not colored properly". This is "changes in color and tone, based on abstracted lighting and the director's surreal sense of style".

That would be true if this is Shinbo's style.

But it's not. The minimalistic coloring here doess not show up in other works, by Shaft or Shinbo. It happenend because they were too busy adding that pink gradient to the ends of Chitoge's hair.
Apr 23, 2014 1:01 PM

Apr 2013
Detrimont said:
Cupquake said:

how was it boring? it was a lot better in terms of pacing compared to episode 1, sure nothing drastic like a terrorist attack happened, but it was still better

Really? I thought the pacing of episode one was decent, but episode two' spacing was ridiculously slow. I had the pause the episode several times because I couldn't concentrate on it.
Apr 23, 2014 1:05 PM

Sep 2011
Cupquake said:
Detrimont said:
Cupquake said:

Really? I thought the pacing of episode one was decent, but episode two' spacing was ridiculously slow. I had the pause the episode several times because I couldn't concentrate on it.

Well this is definitely getting weird. Not that I'm disagreeing with you (I'm holding a neutral stance towards this as with all shows I haven't finished), but I've actually been seeing the reverse: I've seen people complain about the 1st ep and developing a bit more hope after seeing the 2nd ep. o_O

Verdale said:
I really don't get it to be honest. My knowledge of KagePro is very limited, but I went into this show pretty blind and was absolutely hooked on the interesting story-telling, vibrant color palette, and diverse cast of voices. The characters are introduced in a very interesting way and they aren't just handed to us on a silver platter. We are thrown into a story where we're not 100% sure of what's going on (for those new to the world at least), but can piece together a lot by connecting the dots.

Sure, the usual Shaft signatures are everywhere, but at the same time, it just seems to work. Maybe it's because I have no previous bias from the source material, but I think the Shaft-style production actually fits the show. Perhaps its a similar situation as the Tsukihime anime (there is no Tsukihime anime), where most who actually enjoyed the show had never touched the VN. Regardless of previous knowledge though, I'm personally enjoying Mekakucity Actors and I think they've got a good episodic format going and I'm excited to continue piecing the story together through the introductions of characters.

Like ronri said, Jin is working on this project as well. He may not have absolute authority on the project, but I'm sure the studio is consulting him heavily and making sure it at least adheres to his vision of the world he created. Even if things change somewhat, they always do in adaptations due to the nature of the format of anime. Besides, who is to say Jin wasn't waiting for an opportunity to explore a different side of the project? Different doesn't always mean bad or wrong.

Perhaps more people need to approach this with an open mind or perhaps I'm just screwed in the head, but I don't see much of a reason to dislike this show right now.

Pretty much agree with this. I have little opinion towards the show so far and I'll probably wait it out for now until more episodes come in for me to look at it more properly.
Apr 23, 2014 1:12 PM

Sep 2012
Because with it's animation it's basically futuristic monogatari and people don't like that because they have shit taste.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 23, 2014 1:12 PM

Apr 2013
ronri said:
Cupquake said:
Detrimont said:
Cupquake said:

Well this is definitely getting weird. Not that I'm disagreeing with you (I'm holding a neutral stance towards this as with all shows I haven't finished), but I've actually been seeing the reverse: I've seen people complain about the 1st ep and developing a bit more hope after seeing the 2nd ep. o_O

Yeah, I noticed that too. Um...I guess the first episode had more action and less dialogue? The second ep also seemed too disconnected, which annoyed me since I wanted to know what happened.
Apr 23, 2014 3:53 PM

Jul 2013
The old fans (like myself) should realize soon the new fans won’t remember and see MCA the same way as the old ones. They will remember it as “Oh, that Shaft anime!” and not “Oh, the Kagepro anime!” and that’s sad. But it can’t be helped.
Apr 24, 2014 10:35 PM

Aug 2013
So far the anime is boring and the characters' abilities haven't been revealed as yet. I don't hate it though I just hope it will pick up already.
Apr 24, 2014 10:36 PM

Jan 2014
Korrvo said:
Because with it's animation it's basically futuristic monogatari and people don't like that because they have shit taste.

I couldn't care less about the animation. It personally looks fine to me. And this is coming from a true Kagerou Project fan here!
Sep 22, 2014 3:55 PM
Dec 2010
I don't hate it to me it just feel that someone is trying to hide their laziness behind abstractness but maybe some art expert would tell otherwise who knows. For me cheaply textured or one colored background with copy pasted endlessly reused simplified objects is laziness even if clever one.

Then again there are parts here and there which kinda seem to be done well.

As for story can't judge it yet but so far it seems they try to look original by making it messy / random thou i heard that last episode should shine some light on why it seems so messy.
At this point i can tell it is not best but not worst anime out there. It has prob too many characters for this short show thou.
greenmartySep 22, 2014 3:59 PM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Sep 24, 2014 1:13 PM

Oct 2013
Its done by Shaft, this is their way of doing things. Either you love it or you hate it

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.