Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2014 6:28 AM

Feb 2014
Something that really grinds my gears when reading what should be an otherwise great visual novel is when the quality of the english translation is utterly appalling. Poor grammar, simple spelling errors, suddenly changing tenses... while they're all relatively small issues, they can have quite a profound effect on the visual novel as a whole.

One of the most egregious examples of a terrible translation, in my opinion, is the mangagamer Higurashi translation. The main issue here is just how stilted and wooden the whole thing reads, as if it was written by a child - but that's not the only problem! Some minor spoilers ahead:

http://i.imgur.com/hP5jX9k.png
http://i.imgur.com/gquDO1X.png
http://i.imgur.com/4d7KDr4.png
http://imgur.com/b8aWHZi

So, what visual novels do you think have awful translations?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 22, 2014 4:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
MoeNovel's original IMHHW translation

I think most people can agree on this one
Apr 22, 2014 5:26 AM

Apr 2012
Some of MangaGamer's early translations like the original Edelweiss translation were pretty bad.
Apr 22, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2009
First of all, I would completely disregard Giniro, Flyable Heart and KimiNago, because those have a machine translation "quality" (= random gibberish).
Next, I'd disregard MoeNovel's KonoSora/IMHHW as well, because cutting 20% of the VN and horribly mistranslating the rest doesn't even deserve to be considered a translation.

From the actually-kinda-translated titles, I'd pick Divi-Dead as the worst. It's written in proper English, but the translation accuracy is awfully low. They have completely rewritten quite a lot of stuff, most noticeably - the H-scenes, turning originally serious rape into a ridiculously crude comedy for example (that wasn't so bad though, at least they were semi-funny). But more importantly, the horribly unfaithful TL made the plot of this VN barely understandable. That's kinda problematic for a plot-oriented title from the mystery genre... >_>

Other than that, as Wiggy mentioned, early MangaGamer releases were quite awful. Though even some of their newer titles have issues (I bumped into quite a few obvious errors in OtoBoku for example, and I was reading this boring yawnfest half-asleep).

Oh, and I think it's safe to mention http://vndb.org/v12402 here in advance. It's being """"translated"""" by the same people who worked for MoeNovel on KonoSora. From what I heard, the trail they released is utterly awful.
Apr 22, 2014 11:02 AM

Feb 2014

Yeah, this definitely seems like it's down to a lack of fluency. I don't get how anyone would think "stupid couple of there" would make sense regardless of fluency, though.

Pabloc said:

Next, I'd disregard MoeNovel's KonoSora/IMHHW as well, because cutting 20% of the VN and horribly mistranslating the rest doesn't even deserve to be considered a translation.

http://i.imgur.com/XsnmEhb.jpg

Oh no
Apr 22, 2014 11:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Toradoche said:
Pabloc said:

http://i.imgur.com/XsnmEhb.jpg

Oh no
I've also heard Oppai = Eyes amirite
Apr 22, 2014 11:33 AM

Feb 2014
HaXXspetten said:
I've also heard Oppai = Eyes amirite

TL note: keikaku means plan
Apr 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Sep 2009
^ This screenshot is from the early fragment of the common route, that was actually one of the better parts. You don't want to know how the latter fragments looked like, not to even mention character routes... Their "translation" doesn't make any sense whatsoever at times. >_>

And yeah, their censorship was epic. They changed "boobs" to "eyes" and "sex" to "kissing" (whenever it was mentioned outside of H-scenes). I also remember that they translated "Asa put her hand on her left breast" as "Asa put her hand on her left arm" (in a perfectly random scene where she was just reminiscing something).

Sigh, and they are actually asking $$$ for this garbage...
Apr 22, 2014 1:23 PM

Feb 2014
Pabloc said:

And yeah, their censorship was epic. They changed "boobs" to "eyes" and "sex" to "kissing" (whenever it was mentioned outside of H-scenes). I also remember that they translated "Asa put her hand on her left breast" as "Asa put her hand on her left arm" (in a perfectly random scene where she was just reminiscing something).

Wow, really? Did they leave the H-scenes intact? That kind of censorship makes no sense in the first place in a game that has sex scenes anyway. What were they trying to accomplish?
Apr 22, 2014 1:37 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Toradoche said:
Pabloc said:

Wow, really? Did they leave the H-scenes intact? That kind of censorship makes no sense in the first place in a game that has sex scenes anyway. What were they trying to accomplish?
The original TL cut out all the H-scenes completely and was made as an all-ages release. They also had to censure all the mature dialogue taking place outside the actual H-scenes however, and their solution to this was to straight-up intentionally mistranslate said lines to something completely different. Like "do you like girls with big boobs?" in voiced Japanese would be translated as "do you like girls with big eyes?" in English, and similar scenarios along those lines. Also all non-H CGs that contained nudity had clothing instead. All in all they said they wanted to make a 12+ release in order to "reach a wider audience"... well let me tell you this was NOT the way to do it, not to mention the idea was retarded in the first place; like what kind of 12 year olds play eroge anyway?

Fans were #mad and made a sort-of fixed restoration patch within mere weeks of the original TL release that took the H-scenes back and corrected some of the dialogue but it was still far from perfect.
Apr 22, 2014 3:03 PM

Sep 2009
Yeah, pretty much what HaXX said.
They even censored slightly wet clothes (that were transparent enough to barely show a hint of bra), made girls wear towels wile taking a bath (yeah, in water...), radically removed all words such as "breasts" etc., regardless of the context, and so on and so forth.
It was quite disastrous in case of this particular VN, because: 1) it has more H-content than your typical "1-2 token sex-scenes per route" in an average moege, 2) said H-content is slightly better than your average sex in missionary position, 3) it is quite damn relevant to the story in some cases.
The latter was especially obvious in one route (Ageha's), that is all about the progress of a relationship from sex friends to proper lovers. Needless to say, the whole route ended up rewritten. By a chimpanzee. Or maybe someone with even worse writing skills. Oh, and the rewritten part wasn't in any identifiable human language of course, much less in English.

As for the initial Restoration patch, it contains very hasty translations of the removed/modified content (almost 9000 lines, while the whole VN has 50000-something) and original CGs. Otherwise, the "translation" had only some cosmetic changes (except for Ageha's route maybe). So yeah, it's still borderline unreadable. I'm not sure what exactly was released in the first patch, but probably ~70% of the text was still the same as in MN's version at that point.

The second patch with a fixed translation will be made eventually. But it will take forever, due to the ridiculous amount of work this trainwreck needs. >_>
Apr 22, 2014 3:37 PM

Aug 2008
Man during the beginning of Ageha's route, I swear I had no idea wtf was even going on half the time due to the translation just taking the complete piss (even more than before). A big bummer because she was my 2nd favorite route.

I quite honestly should've just played konosora in raw japanese haha. The oppai = eyes part was so damn funny though.
Apr 23, 2014 3:08 AM

Jul 2009
teh worst VN asu has played has to be moenovels translation of KonoSora - asu only made it through ageha's route - it felt like a complete waste of time and teh way it ended was completely meaningless - teh one part of it asu did enjoy though was
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Apr 23, 2014 4:59 AM

Aug 2008
Asu you should totally play through Yoru's route at the very least. It's good stuff.
Apr 23, 2014 6:31 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
hyperknees91 said:
Asu you should totally play through Yoru's route at the very least. It's good stuff.
yeah IMHHW is worth playing for the sake of Yoru's route alone really, you don't see so much awesome very often
Apr 23, 2014 9:00 AM

Jul 2009
HaXXspetten said:
hyperknees91 said:
yeah IMHHW is worth playing for the sake of Yoru's route alone really, you don't see so much awesome very often

Asu is going to play through teh rest of teh routes (Asu doesnt want to do Ageha's again) once pabby and teh others finish teh re-translation patch :D:D:D
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Apr 29, 2014 8:12 AM

Oct 2010
MAngagamer's tanslation are lazy as it can get.
"Boredom is like poison."

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 5 VNs ( 1 2 3 )

AltriaPendragon - Jun 2, 2013

120 by Fischer77 »»
Jan 28, 2023 5:49 PM

» Top 10 Heroines from all the VN's you have read?

Riptos - Jun 23, 2021

1 by UIGodFather »»
Jul 3, 2021 7:19 AM

» What VN are you currently playing? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MayuAsagiri - Dec 17, 2013

434 by removed-user »»
Apr 25, 2021 6:26 AM

» Member Birthday List ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 8, 2011

126 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 PM

» Visual Novel Data Base Account ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 29, 2011

106 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2021 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.