Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 20, 2014 3:58 PM

Jul 2013
nice episode - was basically a build up episode, but a good one nonetheless.
Respect for Hinata. The seriousness and determination on his face.
xchee said:
Haha Tsuki the resident jerk has appeared XD!

Lol this XD

Can't wait for the match next week :D
Apr 20, 2014 4:12 PM

Sep 2012
Looking forward to the match!
Apr 20, 2014 5:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Man that part starting from when Kageyama and Hinata were hitting and receiving back and forth felt highly inspirational for some reason. I loved the moment Kageyama decides to set the ball to Hinata, felt like a huge relief and also happiness for Hinata. Especially because it showed that Kageyama kept his word and he's not always stubborn, as well as how having a teammate setting the ball to Hinata had a lot of meaning for him. The bgm really goes well with the scenes.

So happy that an anime that I like has both Ishikawa Kaito and Uchiyama Kouki! Tsukishima was definitely an annoying character at first sight. Some people are just natural at being pricks :P
Apr 20, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2013
Sports anime... gotta watch 'em all.

Great episode, they have really improved, can't wait to see the match between the first-years :D

Apr 20, 2014 5:40 PM

Jan 2013
Why are people calling this yaoi?

Not seeing it.
Apr 20, 2014 6:25 PM

Oct 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Why are people calling this yaoi?

Not seeing it.

Any sport manga about a team sport, with only young-bishonen men and where is centered in their relationships is a fujoshi "paradise"/perfect target and so will have a lot of yaoi dojinshi and other kinds of yaoi fan stuff.
Haikyuu is not an exception, in reality right now in Japan the manga has more dojinshies and females readers percentage than Kuroko no Basket. Most of them must be yaoi and fujoshies readers.

The manga doesn't have nothing of yaoi not any intention about that, but the fujoshies will certainly see the interactions between characters as sexual tension.
Example: One thing that exist a lot in Yaoi titles is a couple with a dominant male, that is normally a brute, and a soft male, that is normally delicate. Kageyama(dominant, brute) and Hinata(soft, delicate) fit in that. Now think about the fun that those girls(and boys?) will have when watching their interactions.
Apr 20, 2014 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
Hinata ain't so soft though. He has the patented Hinata Shouyo glare. Scares crying babies to sleep.
Apr 20, 2014 7:11 PM

Oct 2011
Was tearing up when Kageyama tossed the ball to Hinata. OMG so heartwarming. Their bond is growing so much it's just beautiful TT____TT

Beat them next week!!!!!
Apr 20, 2014 7:14 PM

May 2012
The episode went kind of slow, but im really liking the character designs! Im really looking forward to the start up of official matches, if the first episode was any indicator, the animation of the games will be great!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2014 9:55 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode, loving the development between the two MC's, slight bonding occurring over the course of the episode as teammates.
Apr 20, 2014 10:15 PM

Mar 2008
I feel like Hinata's moniker should be 'Little (Leaping) Lion'.

Tension ready, now let's' see if our hero-duo can inspire tallglasses.
Apr 20, 2014 10:23 PM

Oct 2013
:/ was hoping the match would start
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Apr 20, 2014 10:40 PM

Oct 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Another great episode. Really loving the quality of the art and character designs so much! One of the rare times I watch an anime and not see a single derp face in an ep ^^

U really gotta feel bad about Hinata whenever he talks about his middle school days not having a single person he can really call teammate :(

Loved how serious he was training. Gotta respect the kid ^^

The awesomeness of the scene when he was receiving consecutive shots was so EPIC! Was really happy seeing Hinata's training pay off and making Tobio respect him enough to toss him the ball. The feeelz when Hinata spiked were so good :D

hinata was so happy!
Apr 20, 2014 10:45 PM

May 2012
14:47 "koNYArou" LOOL

Nice.
8/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 20, 2014 10:49 PM

Jul 2013
Great episode, but just a build up one. I like how Hinata is really persistent and determine that he can surpass his skills. Kageyama doesn't like to be called "King" huh, well that's all in the past, I'm sure he will have a different side of him. Saturday is just around the corner, they will win the match :D.

Apr 20, 2014 11:19 PM
Mar 2014
That build up for the match I cant wait !

Love how Hinata never gives up and how Kageyama is finally acknowledging him.

That toss that hinata spiked gave me tears.
Apr 21, 2014 12:05 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode. All that training paid off for Hinata.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Apr 21, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2011
portgas123 said:
Great stuff. Too bad the opening song is not very memorable.
you for real dawg? have you heard of spyair?
Apr 21, 2014 3:06 AM

Mar 2014
Tanaka and Sugawara are such nice guys for helping them, esp Hinata.

Loved the toss, such a great moment for them as a team.

The art and animation in this is superb, really enjoyable.

Can't wait to see the match next week
Apr 21, 2014 4:47 AM
Jan 2011
Training now goes full ahead, with some pissing match with other freshmen.
Apr 21, 2014 5:44 AM

Dec 2008
Holy shit! Did I just fall in love with Tsukki? I think I just fell in love with Tsukki. Damn, my weakness for tall, megane bishies!!! It doesn't matter if they're assholes or not.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 21, 2014 7:20 AM

Oct 2012
i love tsukishima guy. !!
Apr 21, 2014 1:19 PM

May 2013
I dont understand why people love this anime so much, its pretty avarage
Apr 21, 2014 1:23 PM

Jun 2012
Slow episode, never a fan of training episodes.
Next ep tho.
Apr 21, 2014 1:26 PM

Jan 2010
_DoctorWho_ said:

Same here.

Can any Manga reader tell me if there is anything unique about the story besides volleyball? It seems very formulaic and boring so far.
Apr 21, 2014 2:38 PM

Apr 2014
jonnyhan said:
_DoctorWho_ said:

Same here.

Can any Manga reader tell me if there is anything unique about the story besides volleyball? It seems very formulaic and boring so far.

Haikyuu focuses a lot on characters, their interactions(often intended in a humorous way) and character development. There will be plenty of games later on but it may not exactly be the typical game-game-practice scene-game-game-game in the sense that it includes some additional scenes geared towards character growth(as seen already).
I'd decide whether or not I'm into this show based on the game next episode(gives you a good glimpse of the types of games they'll play) and after the introduction of the entire Karasuno volleyball team(they are all unique in their own way and get their own time to shine) Many people enjoy watching the "oddball" team grow as a whole and individually over time in terms of skill and personal development. So it depends on whether you enjoy such a story as that, everyone has their own tastes and opinions
Apr 21, 2014 6:27 PM

May 2011
Haha, oh I love seeing them admiring Hinata's run with his snot filled nose and everything. But oh was it beautiful to get to the spike as well. With so many sparkles! The transition from "I" to "we" will win was just as lovely.
Apr 21, 2014 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
That Tsukishima guy is really full of himself. T__T And he is really tall. :O I thought this episode will be the start of the 3 on 3 match.~ Kageyamaaaaa ~ :3
Apr 21, 2014 10:15 PM

Jan 2014
It was really good! I think this will be a great anime.
Game over. If that's the case, I just have to play again.
Apr 22, 2014 4:25 AM

Dec 2012
I was waiting for the match ! Haha XD But this ep is so nice ! I hope they'll win XD Crush those other new members XD

- barely alive -
Apr 22, 2014 9:12 AM

Aug 2008
I died with Hinata's sparkles.
Apr 23, 2014 8:22 AM

Jan 2010
CopicColors said:
jonnyhan said:
_DoctorWho_ said:

Same here.

Haikyuu focuses a lot on characters, their interactions(often intended in a humorous way) and character development. There will be plenty of games later on but it may not exactly be the typical game-game-practice scene-game-game-game in the sense that it includes some additional scenes geared towards character growth(as seen already).
I'd decide whether or not I'm into this show based on the game next episode(gives you a good glimpse of the types of games they'll play) and after the introduction of the entire Karasuno volleyball team(they are all unique in their own way and get their own time to shine) Many people enjoy watching the "oddball" team grow as a whole and individually over time in terms of skill and personal development. So it depends on whether you enjoy such a story as that, everyone has their own tastes and opinions

I enjoy those aspects in theory. But so far the characters don't seem compelling enough for me to care about their character development. One reason I could be feeling this way is the number of sports anime I have watched in the last few months from Slam Dunk to Eyeshield to Major to Giant Killing. They all had interesting characters and some uniqueness to them.
Apr 23, 2014 9:01 PM

May 2011
jonnyhan said:
CopicColors said:
jonnyhan said:
_DoctorWho_ said:

Same here.

I enjoy those aspects in theory. But so far the characters don't seem compelling enough for me to care about their character development. One reason I could be feeling this way is the number of sports anime I have watched in the last few months from Slam Dunk to Eyeshield to Major to Giant Killing. They all had interesting characters and some uniqueness to them.

I think even with the manga it was a slow start, and I wasn't immediately dragged in by the characters much, or the plot. It does somewhat take time to get going, but in my experience is really well worth it. Waiting for the rest of the Karasuno team at the very least, since two important members are still missing at this point, would probably be a good idea (though personally my favourite team is Nekoma). But if you don't feel like you're going to be any more invested after the next episode with some backstory of Kageyama, then of course you don't have force yourself.
Apr 23, 2014 10:43 PM

Jun 2013
If you're not watching Haikyuu, well, then you should be watching Haikyuu.
Apr 24, 2014 5:30 AM

Jan 2011
Hinata's stamina is awesome. Glad that he finally got the spike that he wanted.

That Tsukishima seems like an ass. Never know how he'll turn out though.
Can't wait for the match to begin!
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Apr 24, 2014 7:45 AM
Apr 2014
I already read the manga honestly. But as I though, the anime is totally different!! Gets your adrenaline flowing!
Apr 25, 2014 7:50 AM

Nov 2010
That was some good bonding time between Hinata and Tobio with the practices
Kei and his henchmen seems like a good opponent for the upcoming match
Apr 25, 2014 5:24 PM
Oct 2012
Kemmi said:
[I think even with the manga it was a slow start, and I wasn't immediately dragged in by the characters much, or the plot. It does somewhat take time to get going, but in my experience is really well worth it. Waiting for the rest of the Karasuno team at the very least, since two important members are still missing at this point, would probably be a good idea (though personally my favourite team is Nekoma). But if you don't feel like you're going to be any more invested after the next episode with some backstory of Kageyama, then of course you don't have force yourself.

Thanks, good to know. Right now the two main characters are decent, but they are also very basic protagonists so I was thinking that this show needed something extra or it could very easily become lame, nice to know that the team dynamics are going to open up considerably.
Apr 25, 2014 9:57 PM

May 2013
This show isn't even that good #average
Apr 26, 2014 5:24 AM

Feb 2008
Really enjoying this so far. It's exactly what it says on the tin (shounen anime, coloured hair protagonist, senpais, some hot blooded youth etc) but it's ridiculously good.

Sports anime FTW. Downloading the Japanese raws as I type this (excited) 8D 8D
Apr 26, 2014 11:48 AM
Mar 2010
What a great episode! Ah, I just love how Hinata and Kageyama are slowly but surely becoming great teammates.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 26, 2014 10:24 PM

May 2013
I smiled so big when Kageyama tossed the ball to Hinata.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Apr 27, 2014 3:12 PM

Aug 2011
Aww that toss and Hinata's happy face<3
Apr 28, 2014 3:40 AM

Oct 2009
Them feelings, that bonding! Great buildup and gets my blood boiling ^_^
May 7, 2014 1:29 PM

Oct 2008
Aww, the boys finally getting along. Tsukishima why you gotta be such a dick.
May 28, 2014 1:06 AM

Oct 2009
Basically an ep where Hinata and Kageyama acknowledge each other in time for the Saturday match.

I thought I've gotten used to it by now by Hinata's voice is pretty annoying. Him being so clichedly hot-blooded for no reason is irritating as well.

The two main are still uninteresting as ever, good thing we have Tanaka-san and the grey-haired 3rd year.

And, finally megane guy appears! :D I didn't expect him to sound that emotionless but I guess I can used to it since it pretty much fits his personality. I sorta like him, mainly for standing up against that arrogant Kageyama. I have a feeling that Tsookie's team is gg to lose and then he'll acknowledge Kageyama's and Hinata's skills cos Tsookie's alr labelled as an 'arrogant character who doesn't like main character's hot-bloodness and determination'.
Jun 2, 2014 3:41 PM

May 2013
Awesome episode, Hinata is improving c:
Jun 16, 2014 2:44 PM
Jun 19, 2014 9:41 AM

Nov 2007
I swear... throughout the entire episode it's more or less... Sasuke... Naruto... from the start all over again.
Jun 29, 2014 12:26 AM

Jun 2012
So far I do not like the two other first years... but we shall see if that changes :o
君と僕の間によこたわる空
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2014

125 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2014

140 by ANIk_003 »»
May 16, 12:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2014

176 by ANIk_003 »»
May 15, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

303 by isxelle »»
Apr 28, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.