Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2014 4:16 PM

Feb 2014
Hype~

It was interesting, I kinda dislike the heavy dialogue and they've changed a few things like Seto unexpected appearance and Shintaro's room, but it's okay. Next!
Apr 12, 2014 4:18 PM
May 2009
I apologize up front for the length.

Seems like reactions to the episode is mixed with some people hating it, and others loving it with both sides having a mixed pool of KagePro fans, and people who're new to the series. Although I probably can't change a good portion of your opinions I think I can try to bring some clarity.

Newcomers:
Please keep in mind that even though we fans have been in love with the source material for a long time no show is for everyone, if you're looking for a straight up anime with typical harems (Nisekoi), or action (Naruto) then Mekaku City Actors probably isn't for you. However, if you're looking for an original mind bending story with deep well thought out characters I suggest you give Mekaku City Actors a chance. We've really only scratched the surface of the story.

If you still need some context, no you don't need to know the source material to understand this anime. Keep in mind that even though we fans have been following the story for a long time we ourselves still don't know everything. We're given hints through songs, and the animations that usually accompany them however; part of the mystery is that we have to piece a good portion of it together ourselves. The manga, and the light novels help bring some context, but they’re still behinds the songs, so its left the community in a craze trying to solve the puzzle with only so much material to work off of, because of that many of us are looking towards the anime as the final piece in the puzzle.

Also keep in mind that we've really only introduced 2 of the 9 main characters, at least in detail. Each character brings something new to the puzzle, and as more characters show up things will start to make more, and more since.

KagePro Fans:
Let’s be honest our expectations were probably through the rough, there was no way it was going to be absolutely perfect even though we can dream right. That being said I'm willing to agree there are a few things that I'm worried about. The first being the eleven episode count, despite the first episode pretty much covering everything that I expected of it, there’s so much material that I'm afraid eleven episodes won't be enough, hell we could probably drag it out for an yearlong series of 52 episodes if we really wanted to. The second being the fact that Shaft doing “Nisekoi” at the same time, and even deciding to throw that show an extra nine episodes. It just feels odd that resources are being placed into a typical harem which most people probably won’t remember come a year from now, when Mekaku City Actors could have stand, and still does to become the next “Madoka Magica” of animes, and could have really used those resources for more episodes, or just better animation quality. Well I’m hoping that Shaft is just ahead of schedule, and found the time to make more episodes, but I doubt that.

That being said, I do believe the first episode animation was fine, at least so far. I’ll admit that I don’t tend to be that person who complains about animation, although I do appreciate it when good animation is evident. That being said KagePro has always done interesting things with their animation, and imagery so it makes since that it would appear in the way it did. I agree that it could have been better, but let’s be honest with enough time and money what can’t be. That being said if you can’t stand Shaft style, then I guess there really is no hope for you here, maybe you can take a break and come back when the series is finished, so you can appreciate it as a completed work.

Regardless, did you hear/see that opening at the end awesome, oh ya about it not being IA, although I agree that would’ve been cool let’s be honest the vocaloids have always lacked an bit of emotion in their songs, and with an story having so much of it, you kind of actually want an human voice on the opening. Regardless there’s plenty of opportunities for IA , or another vocaloid to have another song.

Despite some complaints there’s still allot to look forward to in future episodes, just don’t screw it up Shaft.
Apr 12, 2014 4:24 PM

May 2013
I'm surprised there aren't too much spoiler in this thread

Decent first episode. Can't wait for Ayano's story
Apr 12, 2014 4:28 PM

Nov 2013
I dived into this anime without any knowledge of the source material what so ever and I really don't know what to say other than the fact that it was really Shafty. The animation gave of a very monogatari series feel and the main guy for some reason reminded me of araragi koyomi. My mind was thoroughly fucked when I was watching the whole hostage part didn't really understand anything that was going on but uhh oh well i guess. After all that It's only the first episode so I can't really judge or say it's shit. I'll probably still continue to watch it though; I just hope I don't get as confused as I did this episode.
To hunger, but not gluttonous. To arouse, but not lustful. To tire, but not slothful.
Apr 12, 2014 4:35 PM

Dec 2013
I almost dropped this show for something as insignificant as its art. Then I started to like the characters and how our protagonist first meets some of the supernatural people. Interesting episode and I'm eager to see the next one.
Apr 12, 2014 4:40 PM

Mar 2012
The animation looked meh during the hostage scene...
It could be more polished.
Overall the episode was okay for me
Apr 12, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2013
i don't know anything about the premise but since shaft animated this it's obvious that there's gonna be a lot of talking in this show. 1st episode was pretty cool but it wasn't enough for me to judge how the rest of the show is gonna go (except that there's gonna be a lot of head tilts and shaftiness)
Apr 12, 2014 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
Thritraius said:
AAAAAAAAH I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG.

Admittedly i may be biased but i was just so excited and found it amazing

^^^^^^^
[/quote]
Apr 12, 2014 4:50 PM

Mar 2010
Apr 12, 2014 4:53 PM

Oct 2013
Why people are commenting shit about this?

I mean, i haven't watched the KagePro songs but one thing i sure know from watching a lot of Shaft animes is "If you are not mindfucked by the end of the episode, they did something wrong"

9/10 I saw some similarities with Araragi-kun in some parts with Shintaro

PS: Woah, Ene is extremely cute O_O
I write a Light Novel (Spanish) You can read it here(Blogger)
I also code RPG games in C and Java as a hobby
Apr 12, 2014 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
Ene was so adorbs in this episode tho I'm quite disappointed in the animation. I can't wait to see the whole Dan. And the op song was a bit of spoilerish.
Apr 12, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2008
Yacchi said:
And the op song was a bit of spoilerish.

If it has no context and is just foreshadowing future events, then it's okay.
Apr 12, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 2008
I have no idea what's going on, but I LIKE IT!! Character design, art, and animation...all flawless!

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 12, 2014 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
Hannah_Ana said:
I have no idea what's going on, but I LIKE IT!! Character design, art, and animation...all flawless!

Sent with Mal Updater

I hope you are joking.
Apr 12, 2014 5:20 PM

Jan 2012
Better than Sasami-san, gotta look on the up side yo! Just give me Kizumonogatari already -_-
Apr 12, 2014 5:52 PM

May 2008
Kinda upset at the choppy animation. Reminds me of the days before Shaft aired Madoka Magica when they hardly had a budget. Nisekoi does not deserve the good animation it's getting IMO. I feel like Shaft might screw this up because both shows are dual airing.

I hope it gets better from here, but I haven't seen much of Kagepro, so IDK.

Lightbarier said:
Newcomers:
Please keep in mind that even though we fans have been in love with the source material for a long time no show is for everyone, if you're looking for a straight up anime with typical harems (Nisekoi), or action (Naruto) then Mekaku City Actors probably isn't for you. However, if you're looking for an original mind bending story with deep well thought out characters I suggest you give Mekaku City Actors a chance. We've really only scratched the surface of the story.

Seems very hopeful. I think I'll keep watching. Thanks, Lightbarier!
Apr 12, 2014 5:55 PM

Jul 2013
Shaft did an amazing job. Doing well at making it really confusing lol.
Pretty sure Seto wasn't there during the hostage situation (in manga..if there's a LN I haven't read it) but meh.
nice first ep.
Apr 12, 2014 5:57 PM
Oct 2012
i'm not fond of the bakemonogatari feeling type so... i might have been a bit dissapointed.
i expected and wanted a more colourful and fun type kagepro anime since i read the manga.
i'm not very informative about the companies that make anime either, since i just click, this seems good, then watch it.
if i never listened to the songs and read the manga then i may have liked this anime more. damn, these days i'm too used to watching recent high budget, and colourful anime/ manga like no game no life or mahouka koukou no rettousei.
i liked the voices though (not too used to kanos and ene's) (ene was kinda scaring me too)
the songs and graphics (from jin i mean) is much better and awed me much more compared to the anime.
well, i may just not be very fond to the companies (SHAFT) anime type.

lain had a similar vibe to mekaku city actors, and i liked lain very much since i thought the post mordern plot was very suitable to that kind of anime. but not for a kagepro anime.
Apr 12, 2014 5:59 PM

Aug 2013
I like the artstyle but the MC to me isn't interesting and the girl in his computer is really annoying. I am interested in the characters that were shown that seem to have powers. I will keep watching to see what abilities they have.
Apr 12, 2014 6:03 PM

Nov 2008
ReasonDesu said:
Better than Sasami-san, gotta look on the up side yo! Just give me Kizumonogatari already -_-

What is Kizumonogatari? I do not think that is a thing that will ever exist in our lifetime.
Apr 12, 2014 6:17 PM

Jul 2010
I don't really like the character design and art style, I expected something a bit smoother? Perhaps I'm comparing it too much with Bakemono since it's kind of alike in style, especially the backgrounds/surroundings. It's just a tad underwhelming I guess.

Ene's voice is kinda annoying and too hyped to my liking but I like our main character and his voice so it's alright for now. I liked the first episode and many questions are to be answered but story wise it seems interesting enough :)
Apr 12, 2014 6:27 PM

Apr 2013
Talkingseal said:
I am bit disappointed in the graphics, it seems to be quite low budget and i think the 'howling wind' sound is overused. Also, in my opinion there is too many unnecessary dialogues. Anyways, it was not that bad for me.
RiChii said:
the pace is kinda too fast ;;;; if i'm not correct the anime manga and novel has a different story (?) so maybe that's why seto is there with kano
Just think that as Jin adding minor changes to the story.

I Think the first episode isn't that bad, the flaw is only in the background. Even though the pace seems rushed. At least it's better than harem shows that air in this season.
LoLyeahApr 12, 2014 6:37 PM
"As long as you're alive, something happy bound to happens"
-What a Wonderful World
Apr 12, 2014 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
shh, you might spoil it for first time kagepro viewers~
Apr 12, 2014 6:42 PM

Apr 2013
Not bad
Shaft style might work on this
Apr 12, 2014 6:53 PM

May 2012
The animation is really bad. I feel like it needs more frames and everything seems so bland. Voice actors weren't what I was expecting(not bad though), and Shintaro's personality is different somehow. I liked Shintaro because he was more indifferent and smart, while appearing pathetic at the same time. Now he just seems like a crappy harem lead character.
Apr 12, 2014 6:55 PM

Oct 2012
I honestly am kind of fond of the visuals. Although there are quite a few headtilts, I think having the flat colors representing each character really fits well.

I am a bit worried that the show is only one cour though. I think they'll adapt most of the arcs in one episode each, considering how much the first episode covers.

But dangggg, that OP. It's your standard Jin quality, but the OP animation has so many spoilers. @_@

I'm surprised only two people have noticed the red eyes so far (unless I missed someone). They're... kind of important.

COMMENTS FILLED WITH HEAVY SPOILERSSSSS BEWAREEEE
EpicCh33seApr 12, 2014 7:04 PM
Apr 12, 2014 7:10 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
EpicCh33se said:

I'm surprised only two person has noticed the red eyes so far (unless I missed someone). They're... kind of important.

Or we just didn't mention it. How could anyone miss the red eyes that was everywhere in the ED? :P Didn't comment about it because I'm assuming it's going to be explained. It does seem interesting, but I definitely don't think it's a vampire thing as that one other person said.
Apr 12, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2009
Oh my...it's finally out and with superb visuals as expected from Shaft.

Can't wait for the next episode and more of Ene.
Apr 12, 2014 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Well.. That was alright.. I hate how this has will have 11 eps though cause I think it needs a hell lot of explanations o.o
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Apr 12, 2014 7:22 PM
Dec 2013
I'm incredibly disappointed all around. Maybe it's because of the fact I've been waiting for this thing even before it was announced to be as an anime, maybe it's because of my 200+ listenings of Lost Time Memory, but boy, I am sad. The artwork is excusable because of different styles and tastes, though it's lack of smoothness isn't. I'm not a fan of Ene's voice actress, though Shintaro's fits in well enough for me. While I'm aware that it's a different story than the novel and songs, the fact that Shintaro has this giant holographic display on his wall and these holographic computers really pisses me off. It gives this anime this whole futuristic setting that otherwise doesn't exist outside of that. Nisekoi is getting the budget here, and that's a crying shame. I like Nisekoi, but it's Story doesn't come even CLOSE to that of Kagerou. Hopefully it gets better, though I know I won't be able to drop it just because of how long I've awaited this.
Apr 12, 2014 7:41 PM

Aug 2012
Ok so I know all Shaft anime are very similar in their art and direction, but this is practically -monogatari plagiarism. I mean seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scenes were just retouched versions of -monogatari scenes.

Why didn't they just make another installment of -monogatari?
ChaospanApr 12, 2014 7:44 PM
Apr 12, 2014 7:48 PM

Feb 2013
The animation is different, for me. It's like when I was watching Meganebu, I don't know where to focus with all these colors/color palette. Tbh, the animation is not that great. It's kinda fast-pace also.

Why I am watching this? It is because of the vocaloid/utaite feels. xD With all the images and graphics all over the internet, it all look cool. Especially, Ena looks like Hatsune Miku. I like the ending song and mv also.

I hope it will be more interesting with the new characters appearance.

I just have one question, though.
Why is it titled "Mekakucity Actors", when it is adapted from Kagerou Days?
Apr 12, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2012
love you shaft
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 12, 2014 7:51 PM

Mar 2013
I love Shaft
I love KagePro
but I guess I was too excited about this anime because it felt a bit underwhelming watching it.

I was both off put by how big Shintarou's room was yet at the same time jealous because his window is a computer too :O
The scene where Kano starts talking to Shintaro I was like "huh? Seto is the background? Why is he a cameo charact- oohh he's actually there lol"
Who ever earlier in the thread said Jin wanted to make Seto appear more in the anime - Good. In both the manga and songs (I never read the LN) I didn't feel the love for Seto's character, he seemed like a character that was hardly there and rarely ever spoke despite being an important person for Mary.

Speaking of Mary. Had anyone noticed in the end song that Mary's name was spelled "Marry" :?

Also love the end song :D and lol Konoha spraying himself in the face.

Despite the underwhelming first episode I think I will continue. I just hope this only gets better as it progresses.

Apr 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Aug 2011
Chaospan said:
Ok so I know all Shaft anime are very similar in their art and direction, but this is practically -monogatari plagiarism. I mean seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scenes were just retouched versions of -monogatari scenes.

Why didn't they just make another installment of -monogatari?

there's hanamonogatari at may you know

OT: damn, shaft good job for confusing and line of annoying voice acts added it "pressure"

**☾**
Apr 12, 2014 8:05 PM
Jul 2018
klasmiit-gamay said:

I think Jin never stated why is it entitled Mekakucity Actors.
Apr 12, 2014 8:14 PM

Jul 2013
The opening that was used for an ending made me so hyped to watch more.
It was a bit of a confusing episode, but I guess that's what they were going for.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Apr 12, 2014 8:17 PM

May 2013
Yacchi said:
klasmiit-gamay said:

I think Jin never stated why is it entitled Mekakucity Actors.

The wiki states that Jin meant for it to be called Mekakucity Project, but the name Kagerou Project became popular so yeah.

Mekakucity Actors probably refers to Mekakushi Dan, I guess?

On topic: probably an 8.5/10. Wasn't disappointing in the least. Some parts felt different from the manga though, guess it was like that in the light novels? Like
Apr 12, 2014 8:31 PM

Jul 2013
Never read the manga or anything, this is the first time I've seen it.

I enjoyed almost every second; it didn't even feel like 20 minutes. Of course, I'm confused as heck, but that just leaves me wanting to watch more. I can't wait for the second episode.

The the only thing I was bothered with was the lack of color and that blue girl (who I assume is Ena after reading the forums). She was better during the flashback, but other than that she's annoying and I detest her voice.
Apr 12, 2014 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
It was a very good episode.

Ene was very cute.
Apr 12, 2014 8:35 PM

Mar 2013
Honestly, just a bit too much shinbou for my tastes.
Apr 12, 2014 8:36 PM

Sep 2010
Barely 2 minutes in and Seto's already doing the head tilt. Another amazing song from Jin, as usual. SPOILERS!!!

EpicCh33se said:
COMMENTS FILLED WITH HEAVY SPOILERSSSSS BEWAREEEE

Lightbarier said:
Newcomers:
Well said. This story is going to be a bumpy and fun ride.
animeoshiriApr 12, 2014 8:40 PM
Apr 12, 2014 8:39 PM

Mar 2012
My expectations has been met, this is now my Cringeworthy of the season.

Bakemonogatari + Durararara + Mawaru Penguindrum + Sasami-san Ganbaranai + Yozakura Quartet = Mekaku City actors
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Apr 12, 2014 8:43 PM
Jan 2014
Wasn't the guy suppose to get shot after plugging in Ene? Or did I miss somethinmg
Apr 12, 2014 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
animeoppai said:

removed-userApr 12, 2014 8:57 PM
Apr 12, 2014 8:45 PM
Mar 2011
Watched it live last night and I really liked it. I don't know how people could say this was low-budget for a SHAFT anime but then again, the only SHAFT anime I've ever watched was Madoka.

Rather sad that some people were disappointed though, but I can't blame them. The Jinzou Enemy part was pretty much the most boring part of the series so I'm not surprised people were bored. Even I got bored a bit by all of Shintaro and Ene's talking.

Next episode will be Kisaragi Attention, so I think some people might get a bit more interested. I think episode 3 will be completely different from the route that the light novels and the manga took from then on, so I expect something different (maybe even a Madoka-style bombshell to shock the audience).
Apr 12, 2014 8:50 PM

Sep 2010
Yacchi said:
animeoppai said:

You should probably put spoilers tags between your post, btw.
Apr 12, 2014 8:51 PM
Jan 2013
This was a great first episode. They did skip stuff like Shintaro bumping into the employee, the terrorist stating time will be cut short, and Shintaro getting shot but other than that I'm glad SHAFT is doing my favorite story to read right now.
Apr 12, 2014 8:51 PM

Mar 2013
I honestly have no idea what just happened..
All I know is that Shift animated this, and holy shit it looks amazing as always...
After about 10-20 minutes of research, what I got is that this series was originally compromised of Vocaloid songs and then adapted into a LN and manga in order for it to have a story? Is that right?
Apr 12, 2014 8:55 PM
Apr 2014
@quatchi @Kaakurin-kun

Shintaro did get shot though. It was kinda confusing, since they didn't put a sound effect for the gunshot, but if you look at the TV screen behind him when he faints, there is a clear bullet mark. :o
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.