Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 3, 2010 8:41 AM

Jul 2009
Agrh... Goddamn! Last arc is so good, that I can't rate Haruhi'2009 lower than 8/10 ;_;
Yes, endless8 is the most boring that I've ever watch... But if it's Haruhi I'm ready for all~~

Can't wait till Shoushitsu release in BD... Among novels that I've read this is my favorite ^^

Btw of course I want third season xD
May 8, 2010 2:21 AM
Apr 2008
Awww that was a great episode, I especially liked the way haruhi didn't believe anything that kyon said about the others :P Also Shamisen was epic.

What's most surprising is that haruhi went out with just her and kyon :)

May 17, 2010 2:41 PM

Feb 2010
I loved this episode :D One of the best ever imo.
Shamisen was great and I also loved the passenger pigeons somehow xD
I overall found the last arc great, but Endless 8 was SO AWFUL that it took my until right now to even finish season 2.
So 6/10 for this season, with the last few episodes having 9/10 and the last episode being a full 10.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 26, 2010 12:54 AM

Aug 2008
Love the talking cat. <33
It's cute the way he hanged onto Yuki's shoulder.
Jun 10, 2010 11:52 AM
Jan 2010
I can't wait till Disappearance is released on dvd, but I can't watch that horrible cam-rip either.. what to do.

EndlessEight was good for one thing, we got to see Haruhi in so many different swimsuits! I wonder how many she has.
Jun 10, 2010 1:19 PM

Sep 2009
Okay, endless eight was a bit boring but the other episodes were great!

darkerealm said:
Love the talking cat. <33
It's cute the way he hanged onto Yuki's shoulder.

Super-cute!
Jun 17, 2010 3:54 PM

Aug 2009
I watched just for Koizumi. Besides, this is just and entertainment anime not worth more than a 7 or an 8.
Jun 19, 2010 8:06 AM

Jan 2010
haha talking cat :D,i loved his voice xP

and Kyon telling Haruhi the truth was a fine way to finish this :),i liked Haruhi's reaction,too funny xD

5/5...and please tell me again,why does this series have only 7.00 O.o

8/10
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jun 20, 2010 1:37 AM

Jan 2009
clannad4ever said:
and please tell me again,why does this series have only 7.00 O.o
Well obviously because people didn't like Endless 8, I don't see why though =3= I personally thought it was great.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jun 20, 2010 5:07 AM

May 2010
Oosran said:
clannad4ever said:
and please tell me again,why does this series have only 7.00 O.o
Well obviously because people didn't like Endless 8, I don't see why though =3= I personally thought it was great.

Oh yes.. Endless Eight was great! :3
Jun 20, 2010 9:14 AM

Jul 2009
Haruhi_Suzimiya said:
Oh yes.. Endless Eight was great! :3

It's great in ranobe ;_; Anyway this is funny, when you can speak phrases with characters)

Btw the most important thing. If Haruhi-sama said it's great, it's great xD
Jul 11, 2010 8:50 AM
Nov 2009
hmm very good episode probably the best one in s2
Sep 5, 2010 7:48 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty good episode but felt a little too open ended to me. If it weren't for Endless Eight this series would get an 8 from me. But as it stands 7/10
Nov 12, 2010 1:22 PM

Dec 2007
All good in this series(both 1st and 2nd season) was Kyon (and may be Koizumi in some way. )
Kyon was one of the best chars I've seen - cute, cool(well he could be a little smarter) and was the cold-type - to enjoy something without running marrily around.

Koizumi...well he was just cute, and I liked his sneaky smiles and mysteriousness.

Um...Haruhi is beautifull but extremly stupid and selfish. She's a fail as a leader by my oppinion >.< I'll never understand all Haruhists

Mikuru...she's cute at some point, but I barely could stand her personallity and all whining sounds she made.

Yuki....she was ok but too faceless and null, too empty...This seasons story was a total waste of time for me, the first one was fine though -_-

Unfortunately I can't give this season more than 3/10
And that's mainly because of the so-called "endless eight" or whatever... That was the worst and pathetic attempt for realizing a good idea.
Dec 2, 2010 5:55 PM
Sep 2010
The last four episodes of this series are my favorite episodes of the season. The video that the Brigade made was the first Haruhi Suzumiya episode I had ever watched and I was curious about how it was made. I would have never guessed that the cat was actually talking in the movie.
The last episode was pretty entertaining and all an all, the series was pretty good. (Even the Endless Eight Arc wasn't as bad as people complained, it was interesting).
Uploader53
Feb 8, 2011 1:51 PM

Dec 2010
Uploader53 said:
. Even the Endless Eight Arc wasn't as bad as people complained, it was interesting.

It was a very interesting idea, it just went on for far too long. I think it should have been just 4 episodes at most (Endless Eight episodes 1, 2, 7 and 8), so it wouldn't have frustrated so many people. Still, they had to fill up 14 episodes somehow :-/

I think I'll give this series 7/10, purely because while Endless Eight was frustrating, the highs (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, the last two episodes) were incredible enough to make up for it. Now for Disappearance...which is set to be pretty epic, even if the art style is still more in line with this series than the original
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Apr 7, 2011 5:19 AM

Feb 2009
Overall this season had its moments, especially in the last episodes of this last arc, but it was far inferior than its predecessor. Still worth a watch, if not to know more about Suzymiya's universe.
VeethornApr 7, 2011 5:24 AM
May 25, 2011 11:38 PM

Jan 2011
Finally end
gensou911 said:
Kyon is the god!!!!
Yes.
Haruhi doesn't realize that, I'm glad Haruhi doesn't believe Kyon xD
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Jun 12, 2011 1:53 PM

Jul 2010
Hmm one of the only 2 episodes I actually liked. I liked to hear the different opinions from Mikuru and Koizumi about Haruhi and the scene with Kyon and Koizumi was also interesting, seems like there has happened a lot behind Haruhi's back... Wish he would tell Kyon about it though :( Well too bad there was the Endless Eight but well... it was okay :)
Oct 14, 2011 8:00 AM

Dec 2009
Writing this having watched the Disappearance movie last night. I must say, even ignoring the overly long endless eight arc, this season was a disappointment compared to the first. There wasn't much development in the characters or story, felt like these episodes should have happened before the end of season 1. But, anyway, it didn't stop ,me from enjoying time with the characters again. While I had no problem giving season 1 a high score this one I can't much give higher then a 6. I'd love to see a third season though, this story feels so incomplete.
Such junk...
Jan 25, 2012 8:06 AM

Aug 2011
So, in the last episode, Haruhi turns into a psychological show. Will Kyon trust Itsuki? What about Mikuru? And even Nagato?
I have no problem with this. In fact, I quite like it. Except this is the last goddamn episode.
4/5 for the episode and 4/10 for the season.
Mar 2, 2012 2:26 PM

Jan 2012
Haha Haruhi humming Flight of the Valkyrie as she walks away.. Priceless xD
Jul 14, 2012 3:05 AM

Feb 2012
This was a great episode although two questions I have:

1. I swear the cat spoke in the finished movie, how did that get past Haruhi? I guess she would assume it's down to Kyon's editing?

2. Was Kyon's narration in the "actual" movie?
Jul 15, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2012
Was great final episode of this second season now 4 more to go from the first season :D
Aug 4, 2012 8:28 PM
Jul 2012
This season sucks
Aug 13, 2012 4:43 PM

Aug 2009
Ohh, so now there's a lot more to Koizumi and Ms. Asahina's characters and their organizations. I never would have guessed that those two were on bad terms with each other or that one of them would have secret motives, like trying to win Kyon's favor. That's really interesting. I think it would be so awesome and totally unexpected if one of them became a full-fledged antagonist.

Good episode and overall enjoyable season in my book. Looking forward to watching the movie!
Aug 20, 2012 3:11 AM

May 2012
RockDag said:
Ohh, so now there's a lot more to Koizumi and Ms. Asahina's characters and their organizations. I never would have guessed that those two were on bad terms with each other or that one of them would have secret motives, like trying to win Kyon's favor. That's really interesting. I think it would be so awesome and totally unexpected if one of them became a full-fledged antagonist.

Good episode and overall enjoyable season in my book. Looking forward to watching the movie!

Me too! I thought this was so interesting about their differing motives regarding Haruhi and Kyon. Easily the most interesting part of the whole arc! Here's hoping we get another season to explore this storyline further.

One negative about this revelation is that before i thought they were all good friends and stuff giving the anime a more pleasant feel but now i see them more as competitors (or even enemies,) making it more sinister. If anyone of them turns out to be a bad guy, i have my bets on Koizumi... I don't trust him!

Same thing with Mikuru. She may act like a bumbling innocent moe character, but i think she knows more than she's letting on.

The only one of the observers who seems to have Kyon's best interest in heart is Nagato. (Watch "Disappearance" for my reasoning) She may act shady, but we cant deny that she has a thing for Kyon.
who_dat_ninjaAug 20, 2012 3:29 AM
Jan 3, 2013 9:31 AM

Jun 2012
I enjoyed the superior animation compared to the first season.
Jan 6, 2013 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
IcecreamManwich said:
RockDag said:

Me too! I thought this was so interesting about their differing motives regarding Haruhi and Kyon. Easily the most interesting part of the whole arc! Here's hoping we get another season to explore this storyline further.

One negative about this revelation is that before i thought they were all good friends and stuff giving the anime a more pleasant feel but now i see them more as competitors (or even enemies,) making it more sinister. If anyone of them turns out to be a bad guy, i have my bets on Koizumi... I don't trust him!

Same thing with Mikuru. She may act like a bumbling innocent moe character, but i think she knows more than she's letting on.

The only one of the observers who seems to have Kyon's best interest in heart is Nagato. (Watch "Disappearance" for my reasoning) She may act shady, but we cant deny that she has a thing for Kyon.

I believe it would difinitely be Koizumi! He smiles all the time even times of danger and when he's trying to be serious; Just like any classic psycho bad guy (i.e. The Joker)! And he's never tried to help or side with Kyon! He's always trying to entice him to save the world, but not for Kyon or the sake of humanity but because he's afraid of reality changing. I'm sorry if I'm antagonizing him too much, but he would just be the perfect culprit!

Nagato is very trustworthy on the other hand. She's not just there to keep Haruhi in check (like the others) but to also protect Kyon! She's always jumping in to save Kyon from instant death! She's stopped the first girl from stabbing him from season 1, and now she blocked a million Mikuru Beams! She's also unbiased when it comes to the truth! Where Koizumi and Asahina are telling him "believe me! I know the truth!", Nagato declines to tell him her theory or any other she's heard.

Now Ms. Asahina... She's a tricky one! She could go either way. She's one helluva conflict!
May 11, 2013 7:29 PM

Jan 2013
What went great for the 1st season was nowhere to be seen in the 2nd one.
Such a shame, but I still hoping for the 3rd season.
The movie showed us some hope for next installments
May 23, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2012
Well, last episode of "season 2". Together, it feels great but otherwise when standing alone, it was disaster. Those great ideas that KyoAni managed to put into season 1 were almost nonexistent and many themes were repeating again and again.

It was good watch but mainly from nostalgia perspective. I hope disappearance movie will be a lot better than this.
Jun 20, 2013 2:15 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Oh so now we know why Shamisen was spoke that one time in the film XD That cat is hilarious! Even better was that I was wondering the exact same thing as Koizumi...how is it that a calico is a male?!?! Aside from cute Shamisen sliding off Yuki's shoulder, I thought the ending was pretty nice. I thought it would be obvious that Haruhi wouldn't believe Kyon because even if she wants espers, time travelers, and aliens to exist, she wouldn't believe in such a coincidence that all of these people are near her. Hm and only in the last episode that we learn about how Mikuru and Koizumi's factions do not like each other and their own theories? o_o Really not sure who to believe, but I would believe in Yuki just because she acknowledges that there is no proof for what she says. Well, onto the movie :)
Aug 23, 2013 3:32 AM
Jun 2013
OMG what a fucking gay ending to an anime!

Ok at first i enjoyed the first couple of ep with good plot development and character development. I enjoyed finding out about Harihi and her connection with the Universe and how the Esper (Koisimay) time traveller (Mikuru) and alien (nagota) came to be. It kept me entertained near the beggining how she created those closed spaces with her mood and how Kyon's job was to keep her in a stable state of mind to keep the universe in balance. All that shit was good and my rating was at an 8.2, almost 8.3.

The endless 8: Ok i didn't mind the endless 8 honestly it made me able to feel what the characters were going through and i was in suspense to find out the flaw in Harihi's summer plan which all along was her homework which i found pretty stupid but it is a comedy after all. 8.2.

And finally the two final arcs: The play: which was so dreadfully boring and ok i understand this anime is supposed to be a piece of life or whatever a light hearted comedy. Well more like a piece of shit, i didn't find any of it funny and just felt like how fillers do, no plot direction whatsoever. What the fuck happened to the closed spaces and Haruhi's powers and shit. 8.1.

And then i watched the last few ep where god knows what they were doing. PLaying spacies and deciding to make a sequel to their film. Why would you make a sequel to a piece of shit film like that. Not only was this ep extremely boring but the last ep where Nagota was reading a book for like 3 minutes pissed me off. WTF?

So overall this anime was pretty fucking boring, but the start was epic. 7.9/10.
Aug 31, 2013 1:06 PM
May 2013
Nice episode. Haruhi was so funny, she didn't believe Kyon ,it looked like she was happy that Kyon tell her that.

Really?! A talking cat... and they bring Shamisen only in 1 episode, that sucks , I wanted more episodes with the wise cat Shamisen.
Dec 21, 2013 6:30 AM

Jul 2012
Well this season was good overall. However, the "Endless Eight" really tested my patience.

Great season!!!
Jan 25, 2014 7:39 PM

Jan 2011
Nice way to make Haruhi realize it is only fictional. Way better than "it was a dream" anyways.

Though i still wonder why they dropped Haruhi changed hairstyle and color each day rather fast, when they went through great lengths to connect the two seasons, especially via the movie shooting, and they referenced stuff like the pony tail that was only mentioned casually.

Overall the first season was way better. We had basically only Endless Eight, which was 8 times the same, and the movie shooting, where it was nice to see some more of it, but it wasn't really new, and each episode similar, too.
Jan 28, 2014 7:57 AM
Oct 2013
Awesome series, can't wait to see the movie! :D
Jan 30, 2014 4:05 AM
Jan 2013
Well.. I wonder how I would feel about the series if I watched it in correct order..
It's hard not to agree that putting endless eight and movie making arc as second season makes it quite difficult to appreciate.

As a middle story though I think it was quite entertaining and it gave a good insight on what actually they all (Kyon the most of course) have been going through because of Haruhi.

besides... speaking cat? really Haruhi?
Jul 11, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2014
(o_O) didn't see any romance in the whole season...only drama...and repeated use of scenes , only changes in swimsuits, clothes (Endless 8 arc),...+ i didn't see any personal growth in Haruhi...(the fact that most people argue in some forums and MAL forums topics why they hate Haruhi, and eventually she will grow as a person). Oh well the last episode was good...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Aug 5, 2014 3:12 AM

May 2014
I only started enjoying that second season (which means something actually started happening) when it was about to finish, so that's kind of a shame.
Some questions started occuring but they were left behind.
I'll read the book someday, I hope it will answer my questions.
Sep 2, 2014 7:04 AM

Oct 2013
This was a pretty solid episode I think, but only the first 3 and last 2 episodes of this season were much good... the rest wasn't bad, but... eh. I'm weighing between a 5/10 and 6/10 for this season, whereas the first one was an easy 8. Oh well, hopefully the movie will be a lot better.

Itsuki's story of wars between different groups all focused on Haruhi was fascinating, but what was even more fascinating was the concept that Mikuru's personality is all an act to win Kyon over. That'd explain why she seems to act so different when her older version shows up.

Itsuki is such an awesome character and Bosch's voice acting for him was flawless. Freeman's, Bosch's, and Lee's roles pretty much made this series and their respective characters for me. Such a good voice cast.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 5, 2014 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
Man finishing this season was a huge pain for me. Getting pass the Endless Eight and the first couple episodes of Sign of Suzumiya Haruhi was tough as hell. It literally took seven months to finish this from the day I started this.
Sep 19, 2014 8:35 AM

Dec 2013
Tsuruya best girl.
Not an actual ending ..

Well, I watched it in DVD orders so I have to rate it randomly, by briefly looking at official the episode list:
6/10 for 2006
4/10 for 2009 - Endless Eight, nuff said. I should've skipped more than just 2 episodes.

Now I can watch the super-hyped movie at last.
Oct 27, 2014 12:06 PM

Jul 2012
The only reason why I watched this now is because I had to learn "God Knows" for an anime music performance and secondly, because I saw screenshots of that goddamn movie and it looks fantastical.

Yeah, also watched it in DVD order. I'll just group season 1 with most of the supernatural episodes while s2 was the endless eight and the sigh arc.

So yeah, I hate s2 not because of endless eight but the sigh arc (the one where they make a movie and abuse Mikuru) which was crap because of the bitch. The only decent episodes in the second half were the ones that weren't included in 5+ episode arcs like the rock band episode.

Worst aspect of the show was characters, especially all three female characters (although Nagato is okay but so very one dimensional)

Thinking of a 4 or 5/10 for second half and probably a 7/10 for the first half.

Kyouraku-san said:
Now I can watch the super-hyped movie at last.
MayukaOct 27, 2014 12:10 PM
Dec 28, 2014 2:23 PM
Sep 2014
Good show overall
Good story, i guess Mikuru and Yuki were boring most of the time but i got used to it.
But, Endless Eight episodes were really endless.
1st episode - fun fun
2nd episode - whoa, this will be interesting
3rd episode - wtf is this, again the same
4,5,6,7 - oh my god, please, please finish already.
8th - FFS, i knew it will be stupid like this. Why i didnt just skip to the last one.
Of course, after finishing those 8 episodes i googled it and found out their names and i felt little bit dumb.
No mather how bored i was, they did what they planned to do. It was not something to save money since they did thing different way, they had different clothes, dialogue were slightly different too. They wanted us to feel how bored Yuki was in those 595 years, and im sure she was really bored.

I guess its time to watch a movie.
Mar 20, 2015 12:08 AM

Jun 2013
LOL @ Shamisen.
Good series overall. The "Endless Eight" arc may be annoying, but I still enjoyed watching it.
Aug 2, 2015 5:59 PM

Nov 2013
So this episode and the first one when Kyon goes back in time to write that stuff in alien language in the schoolyard were pretty much the only episodes I enjoyed this season. Yet I feel compelled to rate it 7 anyway ... Man, this show ...
Oct 4, 2015 8:58 PM

Jun 2013
The first season is decent enough to get me interested. But the second season is absolutely terrible.

First of all this season has no plot more like episodes about random things. In summary, it's all about the senseless eight and Haruhi's magical movie adventure. Talk about waste of time. I liked this show because I wanted to know more about Haruhi's power and how she got them. Instead all I get see were a bunch of people trying to please her highness Haruhi so she doesn't get bored and create a calamity with her god like powers and endanger all life on planet earth.

The characters are lame as well and there is no real character development. Kyon is still your below average dull and boring lead with his witty commentary and passive nature. A worthless and pitiful character most of the time. If this were Yaoi, him and Itsuki would make a great pair LOL. Haruhi on the other hand became more like an obnoxious and egocentric princess who no longer has any interest in the supernatural instead she just wants to live a normal life and have fun like everyone else because she gets bored too easily. And life can be boring when no one fulfills your demands without questions or puts up with your tantrums. The rest are same old boring people that I don't really care about except for Nagato.

Overall one word: BAD 4/10
Oct 12, 2015 3:15 PM
Feb 2015
This episode was just perfect: Talking cat, some funny things, and a perfect ending

Can't wait to see the movie
Nov 30, 2015 11:58 AM
Oct 2013
I just finished watching both the original series and the 2009 "sequel." I watched it in the rebroadcast, chronological order. So the finale episodes were randomly placed in the series. It was fun overall but I feel that Kyon is a major victim here. I liked the whole series but it got me thinking that...

- Kyon can NEVER fall in love with anyone not Haruhi or even leave Haruhi's side or else the world will suffer terrible consequences. Nope, no Kyon x Mikuru ever...because jealous little Haruhi will throw a fit and wreck the world. Of course, this is until Haruhi gets tired of Kyon. This brings up the question of "if Kyon does have feelings for Haruhi, are they real?"

- The whole Brigade seems to be about blindly catering to Haruhi's whims...as Kyon said, she needs to learn about consequences. This brings another question "do these people truly like Haruhi? or are they just kissing her ass?" or "did Haruhi's godly powers manipulate them into liking her?"

- What the heck is Kyon's real name?

- This series has been very fun to watch. Kyon is a cool MC.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1538 by Rhae »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.