Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Bullet (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 8, 2014 11:49 AM

Jun 2012
Nothing special.. plus an annoying 10 y/o, what a surprise.

Don't have any expectations
Apr 8, 2014 11:55 AM
Feb 2012
not a very original plotline so far
i actually really like enju (which it looks like most people hate)
hopefully things get better after episoe 1
Apr 8, 2014 12:04 PM

Apr 2011
epd 2 can not come fast enough.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Apr 8, 2014 12:07 PM

Oct 2010
skyruen said:
Not bad for 1st episode except that the Enju kid is annoying. They batter not give her too much screen time.

Considering she's the main character, good luck with that lol.

Eudaimonia said:
Btw, am I the only one who thought that "If you do not want to die, survive!", the first coherent sentence uttered in this show by a dramatic voice from offstage, was absolutely hilarious? The masked villain wasn't much better in this regard. With this kind of writing I have very little hope for the rest of the series no matter how much blood is spilled and how many people turn into monstrous creatures.

I agree with that, but I also blamed it on the translators. It wasn't a bad translation but a good translator will take proper liberties to make things make more sense in our language. I would've changed it to "then don't give up!" Or something like that.

That said, I wonder, Eudaimonia what else youre wathcing this season? I've seen nearly every new show that isn't a kid's card game and this one visually one of the best ones. Mahouka did have better fights but besides that this is pretty topnotch for the season. I think it's gonna be one of the better ones, but I am biased towards Bynhildr since I read the manga for it and know how awesome it gets. Anime for that was spot-on with the manga in episode 1.
Apr 8, 2014 12:11 PM
Jul 2013
Decent fist episode. I have high hopes for this series
Apr 8, 2014 12:16 PM
Jan 2012
delulytric said:
It doesn't have the same thrill as when I read the manga... There's just something off which I can't explain. But still, a pretty alright episode with some terminologies explained. Will expect more since its OP and ED are impressive, even though I can't really hear the ED well >.>

I agree, it skipped over some pretty good scences like the infected guys last word and rentarou's talk about cursed children with the cop.

Also, they moe-up Enju and its....not fitting. She felt more like an actual kid in the manga even when she's serious on the job
Apr 8, 2014 12:18 PM
Jan 2013
this anime is so good i really love it. DAT LOLI <3 she is so adorable
Apr 8, 2014 12:21 PM

Feb 2012
jail bait, check
frugal high school male, check
strange and sharp tongued scientist lady, check
walking talking exposition + narration in a highly unnatural manner, check

It's okay to slowly release background information in a more subtle manner over the course of a few episodes...I really dislike it when shows spoon feed you the plot, especially when it's a buffet right off the bat. I'll keep watching it because the premise is actually somewhat interesting, but if it keeps going down the checklist of cliche's, I won't be wasting my time.
idontwannapostApr 8, 2014 12:55 PM
Apr 8, 2014 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
Terrible

1/5
Apr 8, 2014 12:36 PM

Jan 2014
Arguably the one series that had me the most intrigued before the spring season. I'm glad I finally got to watch it and I enjoyed it so far as a solid first episode. I liked the designs and characters, as well as how things unfolded rather quickly. It's difficult to judge whether something is great or anything 1 episode in, but I feel as though this will be a series at the very least interesting enough to hold me over every week (I hope). Regardless, solid first start, I haven't read any of the manga or source material so it will be easier for me to enjoy with a clean slate and no previous impressions.
Apr 8, 2014 12:39 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Gotta agree with Eudaimonia about the writing for this episode...the execution just isn't that great and it felt a little underwhelming compared to the manga that I just caught up to reading yesterday. The writing in the manga isn't great either (it's average. the emotional scenes are good though for the most part), but it's definitely not rushed and not like how this episode went. Aside from that, I still think the plot/story is interesting, though not super unique since it's one of those "humanity is fighting against something powerful" stories. That being said, I still enjoyed the episode, ignoring the writing and how it was rushed.

Btw, I did find Enju annoying at first because she reminds me of Yaya from Machine Doll, but I like her now.

Also, Yanagi Nagi once again! Her singing is amazing as always :D
Apr 8, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
Mmh.. It seems to be better than what I was expecting but I still have mixed feelings so I'll just wait to see how it goes.. But I am sensing the lame fanservice already that will eventually spoil the show.
And, man, THOSE BOOBS ARE REALLY WEIRD.
Apr 8, 2014 12:41 PM

Mar 2010
DAMN!! Another Raildex-esque animu? Just like Unbreakable Machinedoll, Mahou Sensou, and Strike The Blood?

* The male lead, Rentarou, is strong but not as strong as the bitches he's surrounded with.
* The loli is there as the female lead.

I mean... They might as well just call it "Certain Infestation Cursed Child," have Rentarou talk about how unfortunate he is, and just be done with it.

Well; hopefully it won't be too bad. But I still don't trust the Wapanese animu industry for anything.
Apr 8, 2014 12:42 PM

May 2010
anyone else felt reminded on hidan no aria while watching this? ofcourse setting is different..
Apr 8, 2014 12:42 PM

Apr 2013
They tried to put all the necessary info from the novels into one episode, while still being faithful to the original work. No wonder it felt rushed but a pilot episode exist for the purpose of informing us what the heck is going on, etc. And they did it rather well. (Too bad they couldn't do like Fate/Zero where the first's episode length was 40min)

OP by fripSide and ED by Yanagi Nagi, I couldn't be happier.... oh wait, the OST also seems to be great!
Compared to the novels and manga this 1st episode didn't really develop the characters that much so right now they don't really stand out (yet).
No complains about art and animation. Not orgasmic but still good.

Overall it didn't betray my expectations and I really liked it but 24min was not enough for the exposition. The outcome being some unsatisfied viewers.

I hope it's gonna be a two cour anime and that it's gonna get better with the storyline. I've heard the director's good, so I guess I don't have to worry.

PS: Enju's the best~
Apr 8, 2014 12:55 PM

Jul 2012
Nothing too special. Kind of underwhelming compared to what I was expecting actually.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 8, 2014 12:56 PM

Apr 2013
Kerozinn said:
anyone else felt reminded on hidan no aria while watching this? ofcourse setting is different..

It's at loli girl

I hope it's not as terrible as hidan no aria though
Apr 8, 2014 12:59 PM
Apr 2013
Seems pretty good. I wonder how much on the death route they will go
Apr 8, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2013
Looks like a good show, i keep thinking of Hidan no aria when i see the main characters.
Apr 8, 2014 1:06 PM

Dec 2013
Amarrez said:
Rushed and very mediocre.

yep, this. I hope the anime changes my mind till episode 3/5, if not i'll drop it =/
cruzateuApr 8, 2014 1:11 PM
Apr 8, 2014 1:08 PM

May 2010
Cupquake said:
Kerozinn said:

It's at loli girl

I hope it's not as terrible as hidan no aria though

yup yup :)
Apr 8, 2014 1:09 PM

Oct 2012
This first episode was a good surprise. It looks promising ^^
Apr 8, 2014 1:12 PM

Sep 2013
That was much more interesting than I expected. Clearly tries to mix popular titles like Shingeki no Kyojin, Guilty Crown and Index.

Animation and music were VERY good. I felt really serviced by that loli girl, but oh my god was she kawaii. She seems like one of those more interesting moe characters.

Probably my second favorite show from this season, next to Captain Earth.

Fripside delivered.

I give 5/5 for this episode, as it surprised me, and was more interesting than I expected. 7/10 overall score for now, let's see if it can keep it up or improve.
Apr 8, 2014 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Urek said:
it gets really dark soon, so dont get fooled by the first episode. there will be despair.

It's out already. will edit after watch!
EDIT:
Quite a nice start i guess. Man that OP song was really cool. Fripside~
Liked the OSTs too. Looks forward to the next ep.
removed-userApr 12, 2014 2:48 PM
Apr 8, 2014 1:31 PM

Mar 2012
"You're more straight than this table."

EPIC QUOTE
Apr 8, 2014 1:38 PM

Nov 2013
Seems that this will be good. Glad to have picked it up.
Apr 8, 2014 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
The plot was worked pretty fast, a lot has happened already in the first episode and the fight scenes could have been a little more detailed
the episode was very good, the animation was good, a great soundtrack and has given the whole context of what the anime
liked the voiceovers too, just thought Rentarou could have a deeper voice
I hope the storyline is presented more slowly from now, taking advantage of the series to the max ..
_________

O enredo foi trabalhado bem rápido, muita coisa aconteceu ja no primeiro episódio e as cenas de luta poderiam ter sido um pouco mais detalhadas
o episodio foi muito bom, a animação ficou boa, uma ótima trilha sonora e já deu toda a contextualização de como será o anime
gostei das dublagens também, só achei que Rentarou poderia ter uma voz mais grave
espero que o enredo seja apresentado mais devagar a partir de agora, aproveitando assim a serie ao maximo ..
Apr 8, 2014 1:45 PM
Jan 2013
It's giving off a lot of vibes from other anime. But 3/5 (or 7/10) because it was decent enough and I'm excited to learn more about the girls on the other island.
Apr 8, 2014 1:45 PM

Dec 2010
Ah, this season's successor to K and Hamatora in the ridiculously trite and cliche department, though this time the female characters are even worse! Oh joy.
MerelyPlayersApr 8, 2014 2:03 PM
Apr 8, 2014 1:46 PM

May 2012
A little fast pace, but still enjoyed this. I like Enju and Rentarou. Was not expecting Enju to be 10 years old! Loli alert. The bad guy is on some other shit. He fixed his head and kept talking like ain't nothin happened.

Hope they explain some few this in later episodes. Other than that I think I'm going to continue watching.
Apr 8, 2014 1:47 PM

Jul 2010
So far it was rather disappointing, I mean I wasn't expecting much but judging from the first episode it was relatively mediocre. The writing in the first episode is awful and I hope it improves, but I'm not wholly optimistic about it.
Apr 8, 2014 1:47 PM

Apr 2013
Must watch... and pass the part in the Manga... lol

Apr 8, 2014 1:48 PM

Dec 2013
Solid first ep. Though I'm not a big fan of the opening. Can't wait to see where this series goes! 4/5
Apr 8, 2014 1:49 PM
Sep 2013
Feels like a combination of Attack on Titan and Unbreakable Machine-Doll. Hopefully it will get darker.
Apr 8, 2014 1:53 PM

Sep 2010
I wasn't bad. New anime to watch in this season.

Still if only they changed those cursed children aka loli girls into something else, it would be twice as better. Well you can't have anything, although I really prefer that atleast Enju didin't speak the way she do. I really don't like that ore-sama by 10 years old girls.
Apr 8, 2014 1:54 PM

Jul 2010
Cursed childen... the virus seems quite interesting with the victims.
"Why didn't you tell me about the sale!?", this president is great.
Enju is also great, same with Rentarou. Their interactions are pretty interesting.
Girls with powers... Strike Witches comes to my mind instantly.
Well I am looking forward to this, the setting seems good.
I like bean sprouts but if it was in every dish I would't be so happy, it was funny seeing though.
FatefulLoveApr 8, 2014 1:58 PM
Apr 8, 2014 1:58 PM

Aug 2013
Enju is the new Yaya of this season, i like it.
Apr 8, 2014 2:04 PM

Feb 2012
I liked the OP but for the main animation I believe they needed to use a more dark tone since the story as other ppl mentioned before it's not a happy go lucky fantasy story and it gets pretty serious later on.Also the thing I saw in the manga and loved it but didn't adopt in the anime is the facial expressions.In the manga version expressions like anger,despair etc are displayed fantastic but I will leave it be for now since the anime just started and maybe we will see some good changes later.
Apr 8, 2014 2:07 PM

Jun 2012
Douglas24 said:
Been waiting for this anime for some time now and the first episode was very good. (...) The opening song kinda reminds me of the Attack on Titan theme, the ending song is pretty cool as well. Can't wait for the next episode!

Barion-Zara said:
Not bad. Kinda had SnK vibes at the end with how humans have surrounded themselves with "Walls" (well technically) to prevent the invasion of those Gastrea.

Quite some good amount of gore there.

Interesting knowledge about the Cursed children, poor kids. Seems like we'll be having lots of loli's here :P

The characters aren't bad either. Rentaro seems like a slightly above average MC.
Enju isn't as annoying as I thought she'd be. She's quite a cute loli. I'm sure she's had quite the difficult childhood.
(...).

Chokko said:
(...)
And, man, THOSE BOOBS ARE REALLY WEIRD.

^ hahah true
NemuriNezumiApr 8, 2014 2:15 PM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Apr 8, 2014 2:13 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty underwhelmed with the first episode, I prefer the manga’s adaptation so far. OST is great though.
Apr 8, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
an idiot MC :D
lolol Enju
Enju and Kisara <3
A good first episode.
Apr 8, 2014 2:19 PM

Dec 2013
Right off the top, this was the first episode. So, now that we have cleared up that point, for those of us who have not read the manga it's really hard to give a fair judgement from this episode.

I found neither the OP, nor the ED, all that remarkable. They were rather bland, to me. The OP was better than the ED simply for the song itself.

This episode was a massive info dump, but they managed to explain things rather coherently. There was no difficulty understanding the outlines of plot that were thrown at us.

That line, "if you don't wish to die, survive". I know that the fault should lie with the translators, but I still cannot let it go for some reason... "if you do not wish to die, survive", as opposed to what? "if you do not wish to die, rub some bacon on it?" Hopefully the translators will do a better job next time.

The loli girl, Enju, was really annoying. But, she had some cute moments, hopefully they'll stick to the cute and cut out the annoying. I'm not getting my hopes up however. Another annoying loli, nothing new here.

All in all, taking into consideration that this was the "pilot" episode, I felt that it was a strong outting. I'll give it a few episodes, as is my policy, before I even think about dropping it, but from the looks of this episode I shouldn't have to worry about that at all. It has the potential to be one of the better of the season.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 8, 2014 2:20 PM

Apr 2012
The story isn't super original but as long as the execution is good I think it'll be okay. It's only the first episode so it'll probably get better later.

I also liked the OST at the part where he was fighting the jumping spider. It sounded like a video game soundtrack.
Apr 8, 2014 2:21 PM

Nov 2013
Strongest first episode of the stuff I watched this season so far. Like the bit of action there and the soundtrack was good. I don't really like the fact that the main girl is a loli, other than that I really like this already. 5/5
Apr 8, 2014 2:23 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm where have I heard the storyline before... well anyways okay first episode, and another very sIutty loli, haha Japan
Apr 8, 2014 2:25 PM

Feb 2014
I haven't watched an anime like this. It looks interesting. I thought it was going to be a more gritty darker tone anime.
Apr 8, 2014 2:28 PM

Dec 2013
Great art and animation. I was hoping it would be a bit darker from the plot of 'unstoppable aliens killing humans' but hope it gets there.

Considering the amount of generic poorly animated trash we get per season these days I can't hate on stuff like this too much.
Apr 8, 2014 2:28 PM

Nov 2012
Gastrea=Hideous CG Monsters.

OP sounds like Shingeki abit.The premise is pretty similar too.

Yuki Kaji's voice for the MC is kinda annoying.

Perverted loli fiancee (that won't amount to anything).She's rather annoying too but cute/sexy<3.

Cursed Children=Lolis are humanity's last hope.

Glad I wasn't expecting much from this.
Apr 8, 2014 2:34 PM

Feb 2011
So I think it's pretty good so far, but unfortunately it's plagued with annoying female characters.

The OP is pretty boring too, but Shiro Sagisu's soundtrack keeps it going. The ED is alright.
morshuwarriorApr 8, 2014 2:41 PM
Apr 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Jul 2009
the best 1st episode of the season for me. it was fun, entertaining, cute, and interesting. the characters were enjoyable and the setting shows promise. 8/10 hoping for even better episodes in the future.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

191 by mon_ke_po »»
Mar 16, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2014

397 by Karva1 »»
Mar 3, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Best Girl? ( 1 2 3 )

Blind_Guardian - May 17, 2014

105 by proxima16 »»
Dec 22, 2023 6:47 AM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

520 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:40 PM

Poll: » Black Bullet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Jun 24, 2014

238 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.