Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2014 12:12 PM
Jul 2013
Yeah I am curious on opinions. This anime's rating is atrocious for something made with so much love by Shinichirō Watanabe, the man who brought Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
Apr 7, 2014 12:13 PM
Nov 2008
people can't into episodic anime.
Apr 7, 2014 12:22 PM
Jul 2013
Heredity said:

Why are Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Mushishi rated so highly then?
Apr 7, 2014 12:30 PM

Jun 2008
because it's not that good
Apr 7, 2014 12:37 PM

Dec 2013
There was too much hype. Everybody was expecting it to be the next Cowboy Bebop. After all, it was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, somebody with a nearly flawless track record, and animated by Bones, one of the best animation studios in the industry. They were just dissapointed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2014 12:37 PM
Jul 2013
Dizzee said:

I'm starting to think the masses of MyAnimeList have lackluster taste or are trolls down voting everything. Not trying to sound too condescending but this is the last straw really. This show is one of the most visually colorful and imaginative ones to come out in a long time and the people of MyAnimeList just consider it trash. It is the closest thing I have seen in an anime to a classic Western saturday morning cartoon like Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry.

I changed my mind. Going to bump this anime to a 5/5 not a 3/5. Really deserves it.
00002019Apr 7, 2014 12:50 PM
Apr 7, 2014 12:38 PM

Nov 2010
Because somehow people were expecting another Cowboy Bebop.
Apr 7, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2012
haven't watched it, but how is a score of 7.72 bad?
Apr 7, 2014 12:40 PM
Jul 2013
silverwalls said:
haven't watched it, but how is a score of 7.72 bad?

It's pretty bad by this site's standards. As in, no one will think much of a show with that rating, especially curious people looking for a good anime.

Also in comparison with Champloo and Cowboy Bebop it's bad.
Apr 7, 2014 12:43 PM

Dec 2012
Sung-Hwan said:
Dizzee said:

I'm starting to think everyone on MyAnimeList other than a few individuals have lackluster taste or are trolls down voting everything. Not trying to sound too condescending but this is the last straw really. This show is one of the most visually colorful and imaginative ones to come out in a long time and the people of MyAnimeList just consider it trash. It is the closest thing I have seen in an anime to a classic Western saturday morning cartoon like Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry.

I changed my mind. Going to bump this anime to a 5/5 not a 3/5. Really deserves it.

Agreed.

I have no idea what the fuck he is talking about
Apr 7, 2014 12:48 PM

Feb 2013
I didn't really see something special about this anime.
It wasn't bad, but I can't seem to give it more than a 6.
Some episodes were boring, too little memorable moments.
Maybe next season will be better.
Apr 7, 2014 12:50 PM
Nov 2008
Sung-Hwan said:
Heredity said:

they had an over-arching plot and a lot of anime fans seem to like that?
Apr 7, 2014 12:52 PM

Aug 2013
I think some people didn't like the comedy and expected it to be mainly comedy through verbal jokes and Space Dandy isn't like that. In Space Dandy you are suppose to derive comedy from the situations the characters get themselves in and the obliviousness of some characters .@Sung-Hwan You are very correct in likening Space Dandy to western cartoons, imo it is similar to Duck Dodgers. Dandy to me is actually like a combination of Duck Dodgers (Daffy Duck) and Johnny Bravo.
Apr 7, 2014 12:53 PM
Jul 2013
Heredity said:
Sung-Hwan said:
Heredity said:

they had an over-arching plot and a lot of anime fans seem to like that?

Champloo's over-arching plot was terrible and almost non-existent, while Mushishi's is practically non-existent, or so I believe.
Apr 7, 2014 12:55 PM
Mar 2011
yay it failed ot some extent im happy with that
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 7, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2013
FGAU1912 said:
On Japanese tv but it got high tv ratings on Toonami.
Apr 7, 2014 1:09 PM
Jul 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
FGAU1912 said:

They renewed a second season almost instantly after the first season ended.
Apr 7, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
DrGeroCreation said:
FGAU1912 said:

They renewed a second season almost instantly after the first season ended.
Wow didn't even know that. That is a testament to it's popularity on Toonami.
Apr 7, 2014 1:12 PM

Aug 2012
Chili kept hyping the shit out of it like it was the rediscovery of fire.

And then it turned out to just be the invention of hand driers.
Neat, but not particularly world shaking.

Haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure people have their reasons for not liking something.
Apr 8, 2014 5:15 AM

Dec 2013
MAL rating are pointless. Disclaimer: I don't think Space Dandy is that good. I only liked the episode with the alien girl.
Apr 8, 2014 5:23 AM
Dec 2012
Yea, I also gave up on MAL ratings, sequels and hyped tittles toping everything. Dandy was nothing special, entertaining, but nothing more.
Nemesis0Apr 8, 2014 5:26 AM
Apr 8, 2014 5:44 AM
Sep 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Heredity said:

Those had a consistent tone. And didn't had episodes relying solely on humor.

Space Dandy was an experimental project. Shifting directors almost every episode and sometimes direction in an episode itself. Bringing different tones between episodes. It had great moments and not so good ones. Personally found the more serious or aesthetic centered episodes to be the best and wasn't a fan of the humor.

Still got a solid 7/10 from me. Twas pretty fun overall.
Apr 8, 2014 8:04 AM
Nov 2013
What I've seen overall is that Space Dandy varies so differently from week to week in tone, subject and theme that every episode carries with it a partly different target audience. There seems to be a fair few people who cherry pick their preferred episodes and consider the rest mediocre because they aren't the sort of show they wanted/expected.

From my point of view, I think the ones who do rate it more highly might tend to be the ones more receptive to a larger variety of genres in anime. It's really quite a mixed bag for a lot of viewers probably because there's a mixed bag of writers, storyboarders and animators that shuffle around for every episode.
Apr 9, 2014 1:16 AM
Feb 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Dizzee said:

I'm starting to think the masses of MyAnimeList have lackluster taste or are trolls down voting everything. Not trying to sound too condescending but this is the last straw really. This show is one of the most visually colorful and imaginative ones to come out in a long time and the people of MyAnimeList just consider it trash. It is the closest thing I have seen in an anime to a classic Western saturday morning cartoon like Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry.

couldn't agree more.
Apr 9, 2014 1:29 AM
Oct 2010
There are too many bad episodes mixed in with the good ones.
Apr 9, 2014 2:12 AM

Apr 2013
I think it comes down to Space Dandy having a particular type of comedy that isn't for everyone as it's an almost impossible feat to fully comprehend all the references and throwbacks which impregnate this anime.
Also, misplaced expectations probably had an impact as well. I'm sure many were expecting a more serious, "Bebob-like" show than what we got.
There are also those, like me, who enjoyed it but weren't mindblown by it. In my opinion, Space Dandy is good but because of my first point and some weak episodes, it fails to be more than that.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
May 30, 2014 11:34 PM

Aug 2013
BRIANBLESSED said:
What I've seen overall is that Space Dandy varies so differently from week to week in tone, subject and theme that every episode carries with it a partly different target audience. There seems to be a fair few people who cherry pick their preferred episodes and consider the rest mediocre because they aren't the sort of show they wanted/expected.

From my point of view, I think the ones who do rate it more highly might tend to be the ones more receptive to a larger variety of genres in anime. It's really quite a mixed bag for a lot of viewers probably because there's a mixed bag of writers, storyboarders and animators that shuffle around for every episode.

I guess you have almost summed it up for me. This show is the absolute definition of a mixed bag.

It has basically everything. Thus, opinions fluctuate a lot. Quite common to witness that the favorite episode of some is the filled-with-boredom one of some others. That's very amusing if i may say so.

I particularly LOVED every bit of it. Maybe one episode here and there felt not as good since it's really varied. Anyways, like it or not, it's a great show.
Mar 29, 2015 5:36 AM

Nov 2011
Apr 9, 2015 10:18 PM

Jun 2007
It just wasn't anywhere near as funny as the writers seemed to think it was. Right at the start, with fourth wall breaking comments/the narrator, it set the bar sky high. Then it satisfied itself with mostly shallow episodic nonsense and.... boobies. Like others have said, too many bad episodes mixed with a few good ones and no direction/style other than randomness for the sake of randomness. Even an episodic series needs an identity beyond 'daft shit in space'.

Cowboy Bebop was funny because it was natural with its humour and had a strong, well-developed cast. The best comedies are those grounded in some form of realism that allow for relatability and make the more OTT-zany parts, such as the mushrooms/drugs in Bebop, truly funny because of the contrast. With Dandy being batshit from the get-go, it resulted in the only really good episode - for me - being ep5 since that attempted to do something with Dandy other than him be an idiot with two uninteresting support characters. The only comedy episode that amused me was the zombie one, maybe. But that was offset by ramen and plant NO.
AironicallyHumanApr 9, 2015 10:21 PM
Apr 23, 2015 1:25 PM

Aug 2009
tfw DanMachi have a fucking better rating than Space Dandy.

Like... what. I mean, this show isn't the new Cowboy Bebop, it doesn't shine by its story even if the technic is just groundbreaking, but its rating end up on par with super cliché boring things like OreImo & Danmachi... is it the same world ?

It's not even "a matter of taste" here, it's quite absurd, but I guess it's something to become used to.
ZiassanApr 23, 2015 1:33 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ArtimesGamer - Jan 18, 2014

185 by RawrOMG »»
Yesterday, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2014

150 by crotaku15 »»
Apr 25, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2014

94 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 26, 10:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.