Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2014 4:43 PM

Jul 2013
Okay episode for me. Having read the novel, this episode was weird to watch. Some events were rearranged and they skipped pretty much every info dump. It doesn't bother me much but for someone who hasn't read the novel or manga they may find it confusing.

Not a great way to start in my opinion. Hoping Madhouse doesn't fuck this up.
Apr 5, 2014 4:46 PM

May 2010
JivingLotus said:
The animation and music are top notch. It's the character's I'm worried about though, especially the imouto, she might turn very irritating.

exactly! miyuki has a niisan complex and its annoying from the very beginning ^^

it will take me a few episodes to get used to some of the characters but i am liking everything else sofar.yeh the characters are very stereotypical but i think i can look past that.

there was tons of exposition this episode. maybe too much for just 1 episode.

4/5 will follow this.
Apr 5, 2014 5:03 PM

Sep 2008
Anyone noticed in the opening explanation, when the map is shown, dunno if it's on all translations, Spain, France & GB are tagged as "East EU", while Germany, Poland & Scandinavian countries are tagged as "West EU".

I couldn't help but giggle a bit at that...

Anyway, seems too much of a brother complex to me, hopefully I'm wrong. Interesting premise at least.
Apr 5, 2014 5:24 PM

Jun 2012
If there was a drinking game for every time the word "onii-sama" was uttered....
Apr 5, 2014 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
It was a OK episode for me...
I kinda expected more. This episode left me a bit disappointed..
There is obviously something more going on which sparks my interest to keep watching.
Does anyone else finds the male-protagonist sister a bit... annoying?
Apr 5, 2014 5:26 PM

Jun 2012
So it's begun
Apr 5, 2014 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
interesting, but all the characters are pretty boring so far.
Apr 5, 2014 5:33 PM

Aug 2013
entTaff said:
There is obviously something more going on which sparks my interest to keep watching.

I'm big fan of her and yes i admit she's kinda annoying lol.

But at least she's beautiful and not a violent tsundere.
Apr 5, 2014 5:36 PM

Jul 2012
The first episode was a lot better than I expected. Love the main character type. I think the brother-sister complex thing is pretty funny haha. Animation, OP, and OST are all great. Really looking forward to more :)
Apr 5, 2014 5:37 PM

Dec 2012
Great animation making for some nice looking action and spells. The world and its mechanics seem interesting. MC seems unique enough being a non-practical fighter and all. The sister with her blushing and "onii-sama" complex is rather cliche and kind of annoying. The whole set up of the school being evenly divided into upper class and lower class got on my nerves since it obviously it just going to result in that generic trope of upper class being popular, arrogant, snobby while the lower class get bullied and are a band of misfits. As far as super hyped anime in recent years go it doesn't seem particularly new or notable to me. 3/5
Apr 5, 2014 5:38 PM
Apr 2014
I made an account just for the sake of clearing up some misconceptions/bad first impressions that that people have towards this show. (Long time lurker, but I feel strongly enough about this to actually post)

The LN has one of my favorite stories out of any fiction I've read. It's not an incest, or harem, or immature what have you. The women are modest, and in the LNs they even explain about the revolution in modesty in modern times. It's an extremely detailed world. The LN gets better as you go along due to the clearer picture you get of the world and characters as you go. There really isn't wasted space in the LNs, every page is used to describe a person, place, event, or development in an interesting way. No, there's no beach episode. Yes, people and relationships change constantly, just as they would in real life. No, there is no evil, cackling "bwahahaha I'm eeeeevil" guy, there's no women in sexy jumpsuits out to attack the MC, or any of that crap.

I realize that the first episode of the anime can give off an unfavorable impression, but for someone like me that has already read the LNs and was worried about how they'd be translated into anime, I was AMAZED. I was DROOLING about how well it was done. How often are LNs done well enough to make you excited for the future?

YES the first episode was slow. YES Miyuki can get mildly annoying with her attachment to Tatsuya. YES this seems like a slice of life + magic + harem at first glance. It's not, It's really, really, really not for so many different reasons that I can't explain without ruining major plot points or secrets.

The first arc is good, and the last battle in the first arc will hopefully make you fall in love with the series, as limited as the battle is. The second arc should start to swing you into the tempo of the LN, and the 3rd arc, ohhhhh lord the 3rd arc.

The Yokohama Disturbance (3rd arc) is going to be my favorite episodes of anime ever. The badass level shall fly up and beyond 9000. It's hard to comprehend just how amazing and well-written the characters are until the 3rd arc.

I realize that this may just sound like me fanboy-ing, and it partially is. I love the LNs. But it's also me begging for people to keep watching this for awhile and let themselves recognize what an amazing world this author has to offer, I'd hate for this anime to start off poorly.

Also, the ANN reviews. Holy shit. I'm almost (No, scratch that, I am) angry that people have the nerve to give a show a 1 based off the first episode. It wasn't even a bad episode, was it? From people that didn't read the LN I've heard generally favorable reviews, except for some worries about harem and incest (which really, really, you don't need to worry about). 1/5 is a score reserved for the trash of the trash, I don't understand how the hell ANN could give it a 1/5 so easily.

TL,DR: Nobody LOVED the first part of the LNs. It's slow. I am amazed at how good the anime did with the lackluster early chapters. There should be a few more slow (But interesting, and increasingly entertaining) episodes until the show gets in full swing, so please don't go running around giving the show a bad name until it has time to tell a story.
Apr 5, 2014 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Hakuryuukou said:
entTaff said:

I'm big fan of her and yes i admit she's kinda annoying lol.

But at least she's beautiful and not a violent tsundere.

You got a point there...
This will be a first show I'm going to watch with sister having bro complex :D
I just hope it's not excessive throughout the series.
I think I can handle "onii-sama" uttered several times per episode :)
Apr 5, 2014 5:41 PM

Apr 2013
That was a good introductory episode and hope it will get better as the story develop further
Proceed with caution
Great opening by LiSA btw
Apr 5, 2014 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
WTF is with this incest obsession??? It needs to stop and then never resurface again. This could be the best anime in the world but it will automatically lose 1 point for having incest.

Also, are they the same age? Cause if they are they have to be twins lol you cant be pregnant with 2 babies and have them be born a few months from each other
Apr 5, 2014 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
wallflowr said:
WTF is with this incest obsession??? It needs to stop and then never resurface again. This could be the best anime in the world but it will automatically lose 1 point for having incest.

Also, are they the same age? Cause if they are they have to be twins lol you cant be pregnant with 2 babies and have them be born a few months from each other

I didn't see any incest, care to shed some light?
Apr 5, 2014 5:47 PM
Jun 2010
Maybe it is just me, but I picture Mayumi being more cheerful considering her personality. Show made her very tame and lady like =p Other than that, I felt it was a bit rush, but you sort of get use to it with LN adaptation. Did enjoy the combat scene, was well done =)

Was an ok start, but that's to be expected considering how the first Arc is literally like the long prologue for the series, lol.
Apr 5, 2014 5:48 PM
Apr 2014
wallflowr said:

#1: There is no incest in this LN. There is a lot of other stuff I want to say, but I can't without being here for hours explaining different things about the story, spoiling all the way. It has been said -ENOUGH-. THERE IS NO INCEST. If someone has the time to come and post onto one of these sites, they have the time to read a post by a LN reader saying "There is no incest."

#2: Tatsuya and Miyuki were born almost a year apart, which is why they're in the same grade but not twins. It explains this in the anime.
Apr 5, 2014 5:48 PM

Apr 2010
entTaff said:
wallflowr said:

Apparently a sister caring for her brother is considered incest these days.
Apr 5, 2014 5:54 PM
Apr 2014
As an episode, its a bit odd to me, weird jarring changes in time and scenery, and, naturally, much of everything isn't explained. Yet I am excited because of these. Perhaps a few things were weird but the jarring things should be given time to develop the scenery more naturally in a slow explanation of everything. As a single episode of a series, it would be weird to rate as going into a new fictional universe is a bit jarring, going from one show to another can be a big change, the time spent in the place acclimates to the unrealism of the scenery even if the individual parts can be themselves expressed naturally. There is usually too much to explain, assuming the entirety is not completely derivative, in a single episode to explain, and if it was, what of the rest of the series? Perhaps I was being facetious.

Aug 2013
entTaff said:

You got a point there...
This will be a first show I'm going to watch with sister having bro complex :D
I just hope it's not excessive throughout the series.
I think I can handle "onii-sama" uttered several times per episode :)

Yeah don't worry about incest. Not try to spoil anything, but Miyuki's love for her brother is familial love not romantic.
Haters and Trolls will try to convert everyone here so they will believe the incest accusation towards this show lol

Jul 2013
the ONIISAMAs were really annoying. the art and ost are great but there's nothing so far that has been outstanding. the characters are annoying too especially miyuki. i haven't read the light novels so the beginning was somewhat confusing and it was hard to understand how the story's universe works. hopefully, it'll get better and they'll explain more things
Apr 5, 2014 6:01 PM

Jul 2013
entTaff said:
wallflowr said:

It's more the brother complex / sister complex.
First episode made it pretty clear who's more affective.
I don't know any Dengeki Bunko published novel where siblings do anything, except Oreimo's kiss
But it's not like the anime staff has any freedom, although a mag ad said there would an emphasis on action rather than romance.

And hearing Ayase's onii-samas are music to my ears.
JoksPacifistApr 5, 2014 6:19 PM
Apr 5, 2014 6:05 PM
Apr 2013
I like the characters introduced so far but i have a disdain for the whole sibling love stuff (lets not have another cersei and Jaime) but it is not big deal. I really like the relationship between Chiba and Leo and we have the good ol' douchebag upperclassman. Reminds me of that one anime about heroes returning to earth and enrolling in some school where the lead was great at fighting but terrible at magic.

Edit: I don't think it is incest but i still hate sibling love in anime and the god damn repetitive onisama. That is worse then "this is our fight" in Strike the Blood

Sep 2008
OK, I was bored and didn't want go to sleep so I went and rewatched the episode.

Main characters sister spoke her first words at 1m4s, her last words at 20m26s.
During that time she said word "Onniisama" exactly 25 times.

Damn, guess I'll be hearing that word a lot xD

Oct 2013
Leo x Erika!!!
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Apr 5, 2014 6:06 PM

Jul 2010
Not bad, not too good either. Interesting set up but very mediocore, I was expecting more seeing the hype/expectations form the LN readers. Ah well, I suppose it's a fair start considering it's 26 episodes long.

I'm curious what the deal with the big brother is, why is he a 2nd cour student when he's obviously a top notch magician, possibly stronger/better than his (honour) sister? Hmm yeah I'm interested :)
Apr 5, 2014 6:07 PM
Apr 2014
JoksPacifist said:

It's more the brother complex / sister complex.
First episode made it pretty clear who's more affective.
I don't know any Dengeki Bunko published novel where siblings do anything, except Oreimo's kiss
But it's not like the anime staff has any freedom, although a mag ad said there would an emphasis on action rather than romance.

Their relationship is more complicated than it may initially seem, especially when concerning their family. Without going into detail, they depend on each other. Because of this they have become very affectionate. There is no incest. -There is no incest-. There is no "oh no, i tripeed and fondled you, or "Onii-san wake up" while she bounces on him. There is none of that. The only "beauty" (It's hard to call it sexiness, since it isn't portrayed in that light at all) is very, very mild, tastefully done, and NOTHING BAD HAPPENS AND ITS ALL FOR A REASON.

Please don't make the mistake of comparing this in any shape or form to garbage like Infinite Stratos.
Apr 5, 2014 6:07 PM

Nov 2012
So far the introduction has led me to think that the series has potential be to very good.
Apr 5, 2014 6:08 PM

Jun 2012
Didnt think it was possible but I like this even more now. XD
Apr 5, 2014 6:12 PM
Dec 2012
Anime Looks Great!
Animation, Story & Characters Look Great! Op By Lisa :D

The Voicing is done by mainstream Seiyuus! Bunch of badasses XD
Apr 5, 2014 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
SodaPop65 said:
I made an account just for the sake of clearing up some misconceptions/bad first impressions that that people have towards this show. (Long time lurker, but I feel strongly enough about this to actually post)

The LN has one of my favorite stories out of any fiction I've read. It's not an incest, or harem, or immature what have you. The women are modest, and in the LNs they even explain about the revolution in modesty in modern times. It's an extremely detailed world. The LN gets better as you go along due to the clearer picture you get of the world and characters as you go. There really isn't wasted space in the LNs, every page is used to describe a person, place, event, or development in an interesting way. No, there's no beach episode. Yes, people and relationships change constantly, just as they would in real life. No, there is no evil, cackling "bwahahaha I'm eeeeevil" guy, there's no women in sexy jumpsuits out to attack the MC, or any of that crap.

I realize that the first episode of the anime can give off an unfavorable impression, but for someone like me that has already read the LNs and was worried about how they'd be translated into anime, I was AMAZED. I was DROOLING about how well it was done. How often are LNs done well enough to make you excited for the future?

YES the first episode was slow. YES Miyuki can get mildly annoying with her attachment to Tatsuya. YES this seems like a slice of life + magic + harem at first glance. It's not, It's really, really, really not for so many different reasons that I can't explain without ruining major plot points or secrets.

The first arc is good, and the last battle in the first arc will hopefully make you fall in love with the series, as limited as the battle is. The second arc should start to swing you into the tempo of the LN, and the 3rd arc, ohhhhh lord the 3rd arc.

The Yokohama Disturbance (3rd arc) is going to be my favorite episodes of anime ever. The badass level shall fly up and beyond 9000. It's hard to comprehend just how amazing and well-written the characters are until the 3rd arc.

I realize that this may just sound like me fanboy-ing, and it partially is. I love the LNs. But it's also me begging for people to keep watching this for awhile and let themselves recognize what an amazing world this author has to offer, I'd hate for this anime to start off poorly.

Also, the ANN reviews. Holy shit. I'm almost (No, scratch that, I am) angry that people have the nerve to give a show a 1 based off the first episode. It wasn't even a bad episode, was it? From people that didn't read the LN I've heard generally favorable reviews, except for some worries about harem and incest (which really, really, you don't need to worry about). 1/5 is a score reserved for the trash of the trash, I don't understand how the hell ANN could give it a 1/5 so easily.

TL,DR: Nobody LOVED the first part of the LNs. It's slow. I am amazed at how good the anime did with the lackluster early chapters. There should be a few more slow (But interesting, and increasingly entertaining) episodes until the show gets in full swing, so please don't go running around giving the show a bad name until it has time to tell a story.

Interesting. If this becomes as good as you say it will be, then I will be extremely happy. You don't often find stories as good as you're hyping this up to be. I'll continue to watch because your comment sparked some interest in me towards this show. But for now, I have no expectations of it until it proves worthy of my interest.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Apr 5, 2014 6:21 PM
Sep 2013
So far, I am really liking this anime :D
Apr 5, 2014 6:25 PM

Sep 2011
What a snooze fest of an episode. What a boring episode. Holy crap. I hope it gets better later on (better since it's a 2 cour series). Even shittier shows had better episode 1's than this.
Apr 5, 2014 6:25 PM

Mar 2012
This is a story about: [...] a defective elder brother [...] a perfect, flawless younger sister
nailed it

#br00tal

#dropped
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 5, 2014 6:27 PM

Sep 2012

Sep 2013
The action sequences are spot-on! Im definitely excited for this show. Now hopefully --and source readers please feel free to tell me-- we can go through the whole show without any incest.

Jan 2011
Okay so few years ago i read some of the early chapters of the manga i didn't find it boring just very lackluster and for some reason i never got back to it though i faintly remember everything that happened in the first episode,not sure how faithful this was to the LN.

i liked even if it felt a little slow MC is kinda chill like i remembered him the setting seems promising enough and seeing this as this is a 2 cour i can tell the later parts will be most likely better

action and ost( LISA Yay!) are solid too only thing i don't get is why this was hyped like crazy or the fan seemed more vocal about it than jojo lol but who knows maybe the hype will be justified in the future.
Apr 5, 2014 6:31 PM
Mar 2013
great start
Apr 5, 2014 6:31 PM

Feb 2010
So I'm really trying to like this because the setting seems kinda cool and it got a lot of hype coming with it, but this episode was like 30% worldbuilding and 70% pandering or build-up for possible future pandering. Literally the first non-narrative lines of the show were the sister fawning over her onii-san and how can she ever repay him and the theme is present throughout the whole episode. Also the first 6 minutes or so introduced about 3-4 potential harem members and in the second half they introduced one measly male side character and even more females.
I'm still kinda intrigued by the setting and the MC could be interesting too, if not for all the potential fanservice and imouto pandering. But I won't drop it, I'll at least observe for a couple of more episodes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 5, 2014 6:34 PM

Aug 2007
I guess I should take a look at those specials if they really were info dumps. I'm kinda interested in learning more about the lore and other stuff. Well moving on I enjoyed the episode so I'll just see where this takes me since I haven't a clue where this is truly going yet.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 5, 2014 6:38 PM

Jun 2013
Wow this looks like a promising series, awesome voice actors/actresses. Opening and closing themes by LiSA and Elisa.

Good first episode. Super formal brocon sister lol. Cool looking fight scenes and magic. Animation is pretty good too. Looking forward to the next episode
Apr 5, 2014 6:39 PM
Apr 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
So I'm really trying to like this because the setting seems kinda cool and it got a lot of hype coming with it, but this episode was like 30% worldbuilding and 70% pandering or build-up for possible future pandering. Literally the first non-narrative lines of the show were the sister fawning over her onii-san and how can she ever repay him and the theme is present throughout the whole episode. Also the first 6 minutes or so introduced about 3-4 potential harem members and in the second half they introduced one measly male side character and even more females.
I'm still kinda intrigued by the setting and the MC could be interesting too, if not for all the potential fanservice and imouto pandering. But I won't drop it, I'll at least observe for a couple of more episodes.

I'm just going to stay in this thread since I love the LNs so much.

This is not a harem. There is no incest. It's like the author was going to write a harem and slowly but surely gave everyone a true personality, background, and intentions, and then relationships started to form naturally. You know how Hunter x Hunter deconstructs shonen? It's like Mahouka deconstructs Harem. Only there isn't a harem.

It's hard to explain :P A sign of good character building, no?

To be honest I didn't notice any "pandering" in the 1st episode, but maybe that's just because I'm familiar with the material. The only part that I think they could've skipped was Miyuki's speech, (They skip it in the LN) but since it was 30 seconds or so I don't really care.

Also, the male main charaters besides Tatsuya are awesome. I mean, it's hard to top Tatsuya since he really is a truly unique MC, but they're awesome in their own ways. You notice how there are a few girl MCs and a few guy MCs? Yea. Not a harem. 2+2=4. (Nothing confirmed, just shipping, but shippers gonna ship)
Apr 5, 2014 6:42 PM

Mar 2012
ANN, saving anime one preview at a time.
LoneWolf said:
Apr 5, 2014 6:43 PM

Nov 2013
This fits into my expectations so no problem yet.

Tatsuya being too over powered since the beginning is always a game breaker lol.

Amazing op, animation and art style. Still have great (Not really but some mildly-good) expectations for this.
Apr 5, 2014 6:47 PM
Apr 2014
Kafka-san said:
ANN, saving anime one preview at a time.

At least have the decency to only leave it at 1 troll post, instead of making repeat appearances.

It's fine that you think you know everything after 1 episode, and ANN thinks the same, but if you trust them so much then go post on their site. (Also is their site pathetically slow for anyone else? Or is that just me. Was trying to access their forum and it's taking ages to get anywhere)
Apr 5, 2014 6:55 PM

Sep 2012
i loved the OST! Plus, the animation was great :P
I loved the fights too, really intense and detailed

Lets how things end up beetween weed and blooms
Btw Shiba Miyuki (Imouto) is such a cutie =W=
Apr 5, 2014 6:57 PM

Jul 2013
Mr. badass in Tatsuya Shiba has finally arrived.
Damn nice episode.
Yakumo and Tatsuya fighting. That was awesome. Nicely done.
LOL Yakumo "That is moe!" XD
Erika and Leo fighting from the get go xD
OSTs were awesome as.
Dat OP. So awesome as well.
There's a lack of infodumping though..
(At least there's Tatsuya's monologues..)
Dem incest misunderstandings begin, nao.
Damn it, already can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 5, 2014 6:59 PM

Apr 2013
SodaPop65 said:
This is not a harem. There is no incest. It's like the author was going to write a harem and slowly but surely gave everyone a true personality, background, and intentions, and then relationships started to form naturally. You know how Hunter x Hunter deconstructs shonen? It's like Mahouka deconstructs Harem. Only there isn't a harem.

Not trying to complain too much or even say something I wouldn't know, but one of the reasons why people think there is incest is because of this (look for Mahouka and read it's synopsis): http://i7.minus.com/iwBU0arPwNMWj.png
Also, considering the standards of the medium and the first episode, the thought of this having a harem is not really far-fetched. Again, not saying that what you wrote was false, just that it's a reasonable impression that anime-only viewers would have.

Also, the male main charaters besides Tatsuya are awesome. I mean, it's hard to top Tatsuya since he really is a truly unique MC, but they're awesome in their own ways. You notice how there are a few girl MCs and a few guy MCs? Yea. Not a harem. 2+2=4. (Nothing confirmed, just shipping, but shippers gonna ship)
Having an even gender distribution of MCs doesn't not make it harem, though. I'll wait and see, hope the show is as good as you say :P
Apr 5, 2014 7:06 PM

Mar 2012
SodaPop65 said:
At least have the decency to only leave it at 1 troll post, instead of making repeat appearances.
Make no mistake, I'm almost entirely serious. My sentiments are genuine; the troll-esque delivery was an added bonus. And no, I don't think that I "know everything." I think that I know how I feel about the dreadful, and then some, first ten-ish minutes of the first episode of this show. And that is all I wished to express (I am but a modest art critic).
LoneWolf said:
Pages (18) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.