Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 15, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2014
Wow, this movie was huge surprise to me, great plot, themes, ideas... Amazing directing.
Also ending song is pretty.

9/10
Sep 15, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2014
Just watched, I'll give it a solid 9/10 (won't give 10 just because it needs more episodes/full length movie).

I read all the comments here and I'm still unsure if the MC does have some kind of "special power" (aside from his ability to play a music after hearing it just once) or not. From what I understood, he actually had the dream while hearing the iPod for the first time (he said "the colors were in my dream"), and the dream itself is shown until he wakes up, but he waked up just before that scene where the robot girl shows her body to the boy. So even if it was a misunderstanding and he heard the details about the dream from the iPod, just the fact that he actually saw the dream is really interesting.
Sep 27, 2014 1:35 AM

Jun 2012
I love this anime mirais. What's crazy is how great they are in just 25 minutes. Like this one, for example, was pretty compelling. They are really unique.
Including the entire dream and the beautiful track after all of it made for a really satisfying ending :)
Yasu-kunSep 27, 2014 1:39 AM

Oct 26, 2014 3:06 PM

Jun 2010
The most interesting thing was how Makina grossly mistook the level of connection between her and Honjo but that's just left hanging. In fact the very last thing that happens in that he accidentally makes that problem worse.

I think this is another Anime Mirai film that wants to be the first of a series, but that probably won't happen.
Oct 31, 2014 6:16 AM

Jan 2013
Another masterpiece.
Nov 20, 2014 4:58 PM

Oct 2012
Beautiful movie, though a bit wasted. It has so much potential to be a good TVA series.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 27, 2014 3:57 PM

Mar 2013
Beautiful OVA. Wish it was longer.
Dec 12, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2010
That was really amazing, wished I had watched it earlier.

A world that no other person accepts except for Honjou. Calling it weird, gross, Makina slapping the guy for that. It really was something for Honjou to be able to imagine such a world with some guidance by a few words. It really didn't matter that these words guided him by rather the results he got from them. It was really quite beautiful to see Makina's passion for this world of hers, a world where it was never really shared until now. The way she teared up after seeing the drawing Honjou drew.

The dream world was really beautiful too and to be able to understand the general idea of what is happening and sort of showing a glimpse of what is happening in the real world. The robot hiding her identity is the same as Makina hiding her true self due to what others think. It didn't matter in the end though, as long as someone else understood what it means was all that mattered. Really beautiful short anime ;_;, 8/10 and the music was amazing...

It almost felt like this was trying to show that finding the thing you are seeking might not be as far as you think sort of idea. Finding someone similar, on the same wavelength as hers and having a passion for art. O.o
FatefulLoveDec 12, 2014 12:10 PM
Dec 23, 2014 12:07 PM

Nov 2009
It was beautiful but might have been longer because the story has a potential.
I hope it'll be the same as with Black Rock Shooter where the firstly released OVA inspired the further TV series.
Dec 30, 2014 12:57 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I liked it but the fact that the second track existed basically ruined it.
I think he had the dream after listening to both tracks since he basically repeated what she said in the iPod.

They basically formed a relationship based on misunderstandings.
Jan 2, 2015 6:32 AM

Nov 2011
Brilliant, TV anime please.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 13, 2015 2:41 PM

Sep 2008
I like it!
But... I don't really happy with that ending...
Kinda wish there was second part or tv series for it,
because it feels so unfinished...

Ps. Somebody also noticed "Sakasama no Patema" poster in MC's room? :)
Jan 15, 2015 4:24 AM

Sep 2010
any possiblities for sequel.? the show was great n all but im not satisfied with the ending, im curious about their relationship too...
Jan 18, 2015 1:56 AM

Nov 2014
It was good, but the second track ruined it a little but for me.

Feb 17, 2015 12:16 AM
Feb 2014
Great short. I wish it was longer. It has quite a bit of potential to become a good romantic drama.

Although, as said by someone else on this thread, I'd love to see a full anime taking place in the universe as Juri's dream. I think that aspect of it (romance/fantasy) would be very interesting to watch. ^_^
Feb 25, 2015 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
YES

YES YES YES

STUDIO RIKKA

OH MY GOD

I thought that this was the Anime Mirai 2014 that was made by A-1, but then something was off. It felt WAY too different to be by A-1. Even the goddamn song here sounded like every Yoshiura song.

And what do you know

It WAS Yoshiura.

THANK FUCK! I saw a Sakasama no Patema poster and wondered just WHAT THE FUCK IT WAS DOING THERE.

FUCKING HELL

IT WAS FULL OF CRINGE FROM THE START, BUT SOMEWHERE
SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY
MY EYES WIDENED
AND MY MOUTH OPENED

HOLY SHIT

OH SHIT

That was THE MOST realistic portrayal of student life I have EVER seen in anime yet, specifically because of the many different conversations had in the classroom.

The anime itself IS good, but I it hard to like it because of Akio's lameness and Juri's.......you know what, I don't even know what she's doing. She's forcing herself, right? Someone tell me I'm right, just because I want to hear people say I'm right. Ahahahaha
Mar 8, 2015 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
That was seriously fun to watch, it did feel kind of creepy hearing her younger self and Honjo give the same answers though. Amazing short movie, I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.
Mar 22, 2015 11:03 AM

Apr 2009
I saw a movie poster of Sakasama no Patema in Akio's bedroom, it's probably because Yasuhiro Yoshiura was the creator and director of both anime. XD

Anyway, it seems that this was all a misunderstanding and gross assumption on Juri's part. At the end of her imagined world , it felt like a cliffhanger like there's something more after it. Back to reality, as soon as Akio man's up and clear up her confusion, they could have a good friendship or better relationship than that, I mean he likes her world, real or not and then she thinks he's the only one who could understand her. They'll complement each other well.

7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 2, 2015 7:38 PM
Jun 2013
7.5/10
They managed to do a lot with only 25min. I definitely enjoyed that.
Apr 13, 2015 2:48 PM

Oct 2012
Nice movie, very touching and thought-provinking. But it kinda left me wanting for more...
Like it was prologue to something a lot bigger. This really should do full-fledged series.

Anyway, their dream is probably only metaphor of their mutual interests, something they had in common, even when they were from different worlds. In other words, it was materialized attraction of man and woman if we are talking of chemistry. In movie terminology, it means that two kindred souls living in different universes can still find a way to each other no matter what obstacles are in the way if they are trying enough.

This movie also served as mirror of society that tries to purge everything that differs, that conforms to firm rules in fear of unknown. It was critique of uniformity, that is one big of a problem in today's Japan.

So to know true message of this movie you have to look deeper. This is kinda the same case as with Black Rock Shooter that many didn't fully understand as they saw it only for its battles, not looking for its true motives and meanings.

Still it's only 7/10 for me cause as great it was I think this movie deserves much longer screentime, tv series preferably, to put this in context of their consequent relationship. Of course, that's not to say it wasn't memorable, it was.
Apr 15, 2015 3:16 AM

Jul 2014
Three words: 'Huh? What? Nice!'
Seriously, that part made me die laughing. Awesome friends for the MC imo.

Anyway, for the rest of it I thought it was quite well done for the time it was in. The art was great, the song was actually quite nice and the dev. of the characters was good for the length. Would love to see a sequel 8/10!
May 4, 2015 8:10 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Wonderful dialogue, lovely art work, and not a wasted moment. I loved the "slap" as well as the ending. It accomplished a lot where some anime waste 5 hours. 9/10
May 6, 2015 4:27 AM

Jan 2014
FatefulLove said:
A world that no other person accepts except for Honjou.

That's the point really. It doesn't matter whether he got the dream from the second track or not, it's all about his reaction to it.

Fronzel said:
In fact the very last thing that happens in that he accidentally makes that problem worse.

It's not a problem to begin with. The fact that he (re)made the drawing, whether he actually dreamt it or not, shows a level of respects on his part towards her and her world.

They can work out the misunderstanding later, the movie was about how they made the connection.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jun 11, 2015 10:13 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
9/10 . Was really enjoyable and beautiful. ...tho for some odd reason it somewhat struck me personally... and well.. was kinda depressing.
Jun 17, 2015 10:49 PM

Jan 2011
this couldn't of been a really good pilot episode for a series shame though.
Jul 29, 2015 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
zetsu_shoren said:
YES
That was THE MOST realistic portrayal of student life I have EVER seen in anime yet, specifically because of the many different conversations had in the classroom.
Oct 1, 2015 6:55 PM

Nov 2011
I'm pretty sure he did dream the same dream; it's just that it was in response to hearing the second track in his sleep. I understood and appreciate the themes, and the character portrayal was spot-on. However, having it end without clearing up the misunderstandings left a bad taste in my mouth; that could have improved my overalls feelings quite a bit.

It's still above average given the length, though. I would recommend it.
Oct 4, 2015 1:09 AM

Aug 2011
Such a hidden gem, I don't mind about the misunderstanding part since they can work it out somehow. (Better chance since the male mc is also good with music) I love how it depicts a daily life of student, different group with different world, and the bravery of male mc to protect what's important to him. The drama is perfect, poor the bully. Love how the female mc is so enthusiastic. Kinda feels like how I met your mother anime version.
Also
zetsu_shoren said:
SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY
MY EYES WIDENED
AND MY MOUTH OPENED

HOLY SHIT

This.

Catalyze said:
It accomplished a lot where some anime waste 5 hours. 9/10

and this.

**☾**
Oct 4, 2015 7:43 AM

Jul 2015
It was really nice
8/10
The end was a bit unsatisfying tho
Nov 10, 2015 6:16 PM

Feb 2014
Deus ex MAKINA

lmao Makina went overhypedrive wtf

zetsu_shoren said:
SOMEWHERE ALONG THE WAY
MY EYES WIDENED
AND MY MOUTH OPENED

HOLY SHIT

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Nov 25, 2015 6:49 AM

Jan 2012
Everyone has their own world inside them ,best quote of this movie.

Dec 17, 2015 5:49 AM

Jul 2008
My only gripe with this is that it's so short. I want a full length movie of this or even a series. This was great stuff!

7/10 again only because I wanted it to be longer.
Dec 20, 2015 4:48 PM

May 2012
Lmao couldn't stop laughing for some reason. Averagely good, but it just wasn't Actually good, so 5/10.
Jan 10, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2012
Not bad for a short film really would have like to seen how it would have turned out if it was a full length movie more than a hour long or at least into a small series like 3 episodes and would like to have seen what happened after all that do they become good friends stuff like that guess ill just leave it to my imagination as usual. 7/10
Jan 14, 2016 2:08 PM
Feb 2012
What a charming little project. One that works well enough as a one-time thing and does actually not need a series.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 21, 2016 9:46 PM
Jul 2010
Sure, the whole thing is mostly a misunderstanding. But he got his foot in the door with her, and at the very least would be able to talk with her more as equals than as some unrequited love. I think he will own up to the misunderstanding sooner, but won't abandon her thinking her a wack job.
Jan 25, 2016 2:02 PM

Apr 2012
short, the ending made me feel like it was pretext 2 a music vid or a crammed version of a series
Mar 3, 2016 4:41 AM
May 2012
"Aw man, they are perfect for each other."
"What? It's just a misunderstanding? Well, that sucks."
But I realized that even though it's just a misunderstanding, the fact that he understands her while that other dude didn't (probably those girls wouldn't, too) was just nice.
Man, this was really great for me. I like stories like this, and atmosphere like this. How I wish this was longer. Need to find more Anime like this. Funny because I was planning on watching Eve no Jikan but watched this instead. I shall watch that now.
Mar 27, 2016 5:44 PM

Dec 2015
That dream was emotional.
Apr 17, 2016 5:42 AM

May 2015
This was really good for an Anime Mirai. I wish this wasn't just for one episode after finishing it to be honest.

Jun 4, 2016 10:37 AM

Jun 2007
I see this movie as the one with mystic sense. In my opinion the two of them are soulmates, and she was anticipating their meeting from childhood, maybe that dream was from some past life, where they met each other similarly - in the dream she hears music only he could play, and then in reality it happens just like that. Besides it's still unclear that he hasn't seen the dream, maybe he has, but still convinced himself it couldn't be real and it must be the second track? When he was lying on bed we were shown the dream. So... But anyway, he wasn't going to lie to her, he was going to tell the "truth", but she misundestood... for good.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Sep 30, 2016 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
Wow...I am actually shocked by how much I enjoyed that. I got really sucked into the story and characters. That actually is one of the best anime short films i've ever seen. While I don't think it could last a full 12 episodes, I wish it could have been a full movie length. But just for a short film that only had 25 minutes, it told a fantastic story. I honestly felt like I was watching a full length movie. It seemed way longer than 25 minutes.
Nov 25, 2016 4:37 PM

Jan 2013
*Fun fact: I wanted to watch Harmony (2hours) and ended up watching this, so I was kinda confused as to it already ending after 25min ...

Dang ... it's been along since I was so enthralled by an anime in just 25 minutes.
The dialogue is simply amazing, the setup for the plot and the interactions were all so good.

I'd certainly watch a full length movie of this or even an anime series.

10/10 from me.
Dec 31, 2016 1:21 PM

Mar 2012
I'm always left thinking everytime i watch a short how it seems so impossible to make something compelling within such short amount of time yet it ends up amazing. Very worth the time spent

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 5, 2017 4:49 PM

Oct 2016
Was good, but the ending left me wanting more. I got confused. Was that douche, Gotou, Makina's boyfriend or did he just like her? It came off to me that she liked Honjou at the end.
Apr 30, 2017 2:46 PM

Jun 2011
The whole classroom scene was so, so awkward, I cringed a few times watching that part.. it felt way too realistic sans the whole class stop doing whatever they were doing and pay attention to the main leads. I like the implication of the story but the way it ended wasn't quite satisfying enough, I would've liked a few more minutes dedicated to concluding the story.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 31, 2017 8:30 AM

Jun 2017
They could of added romance in it lol and made it a bit longer that would be nice
Aug 5, 2017 6:00 PM

Jun 2017
To be honest this is the best anime I've seen yet and it needs a part 2/ continuation
Mar 3, 2018 1:59 PM

Oct 2015
I thought it was okay, but the animation was splendid though. I loved the ending credits with the dream being depicted in such a marvelous show, I loved mostly the music and visuals. Although it was short I thought it was worth it, but I wished it was longer though to get the full length of Juri and Honjou's story.

Like how will he know Juri's world and where will it take him and how will it take her, I think it would be beautiful. I felt like we only got the surface of the story and more was promised.

for that its a 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 15, 2018 4:11 AM

May 2016
On my first watch I somehow completely missed that Akio didn't actually have that same dream as Juri, but instead got the details of the dream from the forgotten second track she had on her ipod. I only realized that was the case after reading through here and rewatching. Needless to say, like a few here, I was also pretty shocked and felt letdown with that information; learning that they weren't actually the "same" and that their relationship might have begun on a lie, and so I desperately flicked through the short a THIRD time to see if there was any meaning to that, or if it really was such a dark/grey twist...

And that's when I realized that Akio and Juri (along with their situation) mirror exactly the girl and boy in that dream.

The doll (Juri) felt out of place and unhappy, she didn't feel "human"/alive since she couldn't be herself (like Juri was bullied and called weird by her mom and those around her, the doll too was told strictly to conform like the other dolls around her (the "boring")); but was set free after meeting the boy (Akio), who reproduced those true-colours (this happened in both worlds, guessing those colours stood for music) she had inside of her, which she showed him in that scene of lifting up her dress, where it was revealed that those bottles the boy had made (and was playing?) where the same colours as those inside of her (in the real world this was when she showed her music and drawings, and begun opening up her "world" to Akio). The fact that Akio didn't have that exact dream is really of no importance, he set her free all the same; and was entranced in those colours of hers (her world, her music; her true self) just as much as the girl first was. This led to harmony, and while they might not have shared that one thing; they shared what really mattered: the love of that world that girl had long since hidden away.

So yeah, I don't know if that made any sense or not, but just wanted to share my little journey with this short. I originally thought I was going to lower my rating for this after that upsetting realization, but I ended up doing the opposite and gaining new appreciation for it after making yet ANOTHER subsequent realization (I think I really should pay more attention in my first watch of things... P:)
It's crazy how closely the two worlds mirror each-other though, and how you notice more and more each time you compare the two. Maybe it was obvious to some, but I feel like this part of the story was definitely misunderstood by many, like I originally had, and that's sad. :(
ZaugrAug 15, 2018 4:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Horror alternative to the episode

Yterbium - Jul 3, 2019

2 by GAkuma »»
Feb 16, 2023 9:10 AM

» Full version of end song?

whitehairgirls - Apr 13, 2014

13 by GAkuma »»
Feb 16, 2023 9:08 AM

» the last scene error - colors & shape

Wannabiteme - Mar 13, 2016

2 by Niello »»
Feb 6, 2018 4:58 AM

» The release status and date for this anime is wrong?

bunny1ov3r - Mar 24, 2014

1 by Summer_Ghost »»
Dec 23, 2014 12:47 PM

» Preview

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

2 by Alumaki »»
Feb 26, 2014 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.