Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2014 12:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A Mirai Project huh? Interesting. This was only 25 minutes but whatever.

>Baka, baka, baka, baka, baka
If anything, the MC has his own little world that he wonders thinks about. The short anime also includes some references to anime and manga. Not too shabby I guess and it has decent feelings to it with an imaginative delivery. I also really like how some of the moments of the animation was played out. Brave Mirai~
Mar 25, 2014 5:47 AM

Nov 2007
Having a sense of hearing notes perfectly when hearing a music for the first time. So she made it? He can imagine the world that she saw that people all think she's weird.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 12, 2014 2:14 PM

Dec 2007
Ever since I saw the page of Harmonie, I anticipated it greatly, since the director created Eve no Jikan which was very successful, and it looked like it's going to be my kind of story.

That was definitely amazing. From the great directing, to the Hataraku Maou Sama character designs, to the theme of the song and the dream about the different world, it kept me intrigued the whole time it lasted. My only gripe that it was only 25 minutes, if it was a full series/movie it could have expanded on the story much more. If there will be a sequel of this, or even better, an expanded version/movie/TV series, I'll definitely watch it.

9/10.
Apr 12, 2014 6:13 PM

Jul 2012
That was really interesting. There were a few philosophical themes I missed so I will rewatch this later. Will leave at 8/10 Really enjoyed the music theme (even though he said F# when it was actually a G#)
Apr 12, 2014 6:29 PM

May 2013
Wow, this short film turned out to be quite interesting

That was a really beautiful track at the ending scene displaying it with the dream

I want a long version of this ;_______;
Apr 12, 2014 6:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Sakasama no Patema poster spotted in the MC's room :D

As usual, wonderful directing from Yoshiura Yasuhiro. The dream and the song gave me that same sad feeling as Aoi Tamago from Pale Cocoon. Beautiful, intriguing, and melancholy.

Like mayukachan said, I probably need to watch this more than once to get the full meaning. I really enjoyed this though, especially how Yoshiura portrays the characters and character interactions. Juri was interesting because you could really see how awkward she is, such as the part when the MC was asking her about the audio. And also in the end, how the MC ended up making Juri feel that she wasn't alone (for having that dream that deemed her weird by others), even though the MC didn't actually have that dream and it was all an misunderstanding since he regurgitated what he heard in the second audio by accident.
Apr 12, 2014 7:26 PM

Mar 2012
Not bad. Some of the camera angles used in the first classroom scene were pretty cool. I don't really understand Juri's dream, though; is there a point? In addition to the dream itself, Yuri's mental trauma was presented almost arbitrarily.
JoshApr 12, 2014 7:30 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 12, 2014 7:27 PM

Aug 2013
I really love this short film ^^

I wished there was a longer version of this.
Apr 12, 2014 7:28 PM

Aug 2008
I loved the animation. I would rewatch the ending or the dream sequence again and again without getting tired of it, it went really well with the feel of the song. And I think I like every character voiced by Matsuoka Yoshitsugu, he's such a good seiyuu.

And was I supposed to laugh with the two otaku said "yosh" when the girl rejected the popular guy (I like his character design btw)? I loved that scene XD

Good decision, main lead! I would have lied at the end like he did.
Apr 12, 2014 7:31 PM

Aug 2012
Eeeeeh. This type of anime is totally my cup of tea, but I was seriously let down when he discovered the second track. This means that the premise of their possible relationship is false.

If this were continued, that could be a particular drama point for the couple, but perhaps the MC could pull through with her by forming an even greater understanding of "her world" with his "talent" rather than being spoon-fed the data by an ipod. I suppose they could accomplish this by having her sing a second song or somesuch, and he being able to imagine the related story of it on his own.

That said, the anime's story in itself was kind of BS to me, given that he's essentially no more connected with her than her so-called '(not-)boyfriend.' But at least he likes her dream and doesn't think she's weird.

The animation was great, and as a reviewer has already mentioned, it has a lot of potential. I hope it does get a continuation, which is not impossible, given that another 'young animator' project supposedly will (Little Witch Acedemia).
Apr 12, 2014 8:43 PM

Sep 2012
Could've used a lot more screentime, but the concept was really good.

6/10
Apr 12, 2014 8:43 PM

Nov 2011
I liked it, but I kind of expected more from Yoshiura. Direction was good as usual, but I feel the dream sequence would have been much more dramatically effective if it was only shown fully during the credits. There really isn't much to draw from this, any more than what was explicitly stated in the anime itself. At most, a parallel could be drawn between her dream and her school setting, which her being around a group of "fake" friends, ostracizing the less socially adept classmates. Then again, you don't know enough about any of their classmates to reach much of a conclusion to establish that comparison. All in all, it's a nice and basic romance story about embracing your true self and finding that certain connection with someone. The song was a great complement.
Apr 12, 2014 8:47 PM
Oct 2010
This was too short honestly. Needed to be at least an hour for me to care. Despite that I think deception was the better choice of the two actions he could take. It's quite clear (despite being rushed) that the dream has traumatized her and it's easier for people to get through things if someone that can relate helps them along. If that relationship does develop though sooner or later he's going to have to tell her what really happened.
Apr 12, 2014 9:25 PM

May 2013
I actually really enjoyed this.

I just wish it could have been a full length movie or series.
Apr 12, 2014 9:50 PM

Aug 2013
Wow that song was amazing O__O That dream sequence was beautiful too.

Were we ever dating?
That was so satisfying. I was like HECK YEAH~! I did a virtual fist bump with Honjo's friends.

MissileSoup said:
At most, a parallel could be drawn between her dream and her school setting, which her being around a group of "fake" friends, ostracizing the less socially adept classmates.

That's what I got from it too. The dolls standing in the sun were obviously her fake friends and everyone else who were just going with the flow and tries to fit in (as symbolized by the dolls walking in line). The real people hiding in the dark were basically those not in the "in" crowd, social outcasts who have their own worlds.

It's kind of hard to connect it to the Juri who had this dream as a child though. It would have been easier to understand if it was the teen Juri's dream. Ahhh I want a full length more or series for this. Too good for a short >__<
xcheeApr 12, 2014 9:54 PM
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 12, 2014 10:03 PM
Mar 2013
I really cannot stop listening to the song auughsd it's so beautiful ; __ ; Anybody know what it's called? Because I'm pretty sure Harmony by Kokia is something else (From that post-apocalyptic movie)

My initial impression of the movie was not so good until I watched it a couple more times. I guess it needed some time to sink in. Honestly, it was really good but a lot of stuff were left unexplained. I do tend to like short stories where somethings are left unexplained so that there's room to think but still. I guess I just wanted it to be longer.

Just a thought about the dream, maybe Makina is extremely intuitive and the dream was supposed to represent Akio and her meeting? That someone would end up understanding her
asdfghjk14789632Apr 12, 2014 10:07 PM
Apr 12, 2014 10:08 PM

Jul 2011
Aiyaa, drama in the classroom. XD

"Were we ever dating?" burnnn.

I would actually prefer a series on the dream she has. I like the setting; tragic romance with a flare of fantasy. ^^
Apr 12, 2014 10:12 PM
Mar 2012
I enjoyed the plot, sucks that it was so short. Though I wonder if he's gonna clear that misunderstanding.
Apr 12, 2014 10:18 PM
Oct 2010
xchee said:

It's kind of hard to connect it to the Juri who had this dream as a child though. It would have been easier to understand if it was the teen Juri's dream. Ahhh I want a full length more or series for this. Too good for a short >__<

I imagine her slapping that one dude was a result of her dream, experiences and growing fondness of the MC. IIRC one of the girls in her class (who I assume knew her from middle school) commented how she was really weird and likely on the same social level as the MC and his friends and only recently changed when she got into HS. It was also mentioned that her parents(mother) did not accept aspects about her and basically told her she had mental problems.

Since no one truly understood her or her dream she figured that she was the problem and tried to change herself, but when the MC recalls the dream as well she is relieved that someone else experienced it because it proves (to her) that she isn't crazy and there are others like her out there. It's likely her dream had no significance to hear as a child, and she only started drawing meanings from it. But it was necessary to have it from childhood so it would emotionally impact her more deeply.

Another thing that I missed on first watch was when the MC gave her the re-done picture. She completely misinterpreted his reasoning for that and likely assumed he drew it based on memory after she said that it was her favourite part. I agree overall that it was embracing your true self and finding someone to connect to(this was especially made clear by the little convo the MC and his friends had).

Damn I went on one long winded reply there, even went off topic haha but yeah this movie just needed more time.
Apr 12, 2014 11:04 PM

May 2010
Fluid animation even if it didn't particularly stood out but I think it works that more as it had more realistic approach. Makina is charming.

Really liked the dream part. I take it back, animation started to stand out in the 2nd half.

I really liked the scene when she slapped that dude, the MC's friends were like "Yes! His time to shine!" xD His drawings were really good, and he was already gifted so I was expecting some jealousy from Makina but she didn't.

Really liked the ED, and finally got it when I paid some attention that the MC is the only one who notices the bottles among those puppets and then she runs to him. And he made her feel like human again.

Very touching. 8/10
Apr 12, 2014 11:13 PM

Aug 2013
skudoops said:
xchee said:

I imagine her slapping that one dude was a result of her dream, experiences and growing fondness of the MC. IIRC one of the girls in her class (who I assume knew her from middle school) commented how she was really weird and likely on the same social level as the MC and his friends and only recently changed when she got into HS. It was also mentioned that her parents(mother) did not accept aspects about her and basically told her she had mental problems.

Yeah I think that would have been it, but she had that dream when she was a little kid that's why I'm having a bit of trouble connecting that to child-Juri. I had to keep pausing just to see what the flashing images were and in it she looked like she was in grade school.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 12, 2014 11:37 PM

Jun 2012
Damn that was good. Yoshiura makes everything he touches into gold.
Apr 13, 2014 2:51 AM

Jan 2011
Whoa, this was really interesting. I really like how intriguing the plot was. The dream scene was animated really well. Knowing about the dream really connected the two of them. This was a great short film but I wish it was longer.
8/10
Apr 13, 2014 3:13 AM

Nov 2012
great movie, too short though
I really like how it conveys its message
8/10
Apr 13, 2014 3:39 AM

May 2008
really enjoyed this sseries 8/10 xD
Apr 13, 2014 4:49 AM
Feb 2010
I gave this short film a 9/10.

Wow, the animation is good, and it is in a realistic format, which really fits what happened. Jealousy, bullying, malice, facades set up in order to fit it. The male mc and female mc both provided very deep personalities, but set themselves up so that they could interact with their classmates. But neither were truly happy.

The song and animation for her dream was really fitting... really wish there is a sequel to this.
Apr 13, 2014 4:54 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm, that was pretty neat I guess.

7/10
Apr 13, 2014 5:33 AM

Apr 2014
That was really good
Apr 13, 2014 6:00 AM

Dec 2012
I like this kind of anime.. :( sad only 1 episode

Apr 13, 2014 8:30 AM

Jun 2012
If there was ever a short film that i would want to be adapted into a full 12 episode show, it would be this one. It was absolutely beautiful.
Apr 13, 2014 8:45 AM

Feb 2013
I really enjoyed this short. I like the lead male and female. The story should be told through a longer 13ep series though. I really enjoy the dream sequence and the song. I was rooting for the "loser" and was smiling at the slap. 9/10
Apr 13, 2014 11:47 AM

Jun 2013
Apr 13, 2014 2:45 PM

Nov 2012
Fucking perfection!

The only bad thing about it was the length. I hope it gets a longer movie to show a little more of the developing love between the mains. I normally hate anything with drama, but this was drama done right.

So after re-watching it again and taking the time to read some comments, it seems like the male lead didn't have the same dream as her. He just regurgitated what he heard from the 2nd track on the ipod. Also the drawing he made wasn't from memory, he just re-created it from the old one. The female lead thought that he had the same dream and drew that picture of it. Wow, this show just became not so good anymore.

Basically, I was thinking (and hoping) the male lead was someone special, he was someone sent to rescue her. It turns out he didn't even have the dream, everything was a misunderstanding. I feel stupid for thinking this anime was really good now.

NaxrrhidApr 13, 2014 5:56 PM
Apr 13, 2014 3:43 PM
Jun 2013
Mirorin said:

I would actually prefer a series on the dream she has.

I completely agree with this, the dream world was amazing. (The entire short/movie was really good)

I keep re-watching the credits. :D
Apr 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Feb 2014
Of all the horrible shows out there that got 12+ episodes, this was only a 25 minute movie? So beautiful and the animation was on point, I'm really disappointed that so many things were open-ended and we didn't at least get a series or another hour.
に触
祟ら
りぬ
な神

Apr 14, 2014 12:18 AM

Jun 2009
Wanted it to be a longer movie. I mean at least it got its point through
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Apr 14, 2014 12:21 AM

Nov 2011
Naxrrhid said:
Fucking perfection!

The only bad thing about it was the length. I hope it gets a longer movie to show a little more of the developing love between the mains. I normally hate anything with drama, but this was drama done right.

So after re-watching it again and taking the time to read some comments, it seems like the male lead didn't have the same dream as her. He just regurgitated what he heard from the 2nd track on the ipod. Also the drawing he made wasn't from memory, he just re-created it from the old one. The female lead thought that he had the same dream and drew that picture of it. Wow, this show just became not so good anymore.

Basically, I was thinking (and hoping) the male lead was someone special, he was someone sent to rescue her. It turns out he didn't even have the dream, everything was a misunderstanding. I feel stupid for thinking this anime was really good now.

No, the male lead isn't a psychic, but he did "rescue" her. He pried open her shell and pulled her away from the world of suppressing her self and creativity. She likes music. The boy likes music. The misunderstanding was the catalyst for her to find someone with whom she can finally connect, without conforming to the "norm" to fit in. It's not as fairytale romance-like as what you first thought it was, but it doesn't take away anything from the story.
Apr 14, 2014 1:19 AM

Oct 2013
Didn't really enjoy it that much..
Apr 14, 2014 1:27 AM

May 2012
This episode really toyed with my feelings and I actually cared about what each character did. 10/10, simply amazing.
Apr 14, 2014 7:34 AM

Oct 2012
I liked it, nice animation and story but it was too short, that dream world looked really interesting.
7/10
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Apr 14, 2014 8:38 AM

Jan 2009
love the dark calm atmosphere. wish more stories could be told in this way.

7/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 14, 2014 11:12 AM

Dec 2010
Seems like some people are a bit mad about the fact that Makina and Honjou aren't actually "the same", as Makina put it at the end of the show. But I don't think that's really needed.
The reason she was so insecure about herself was because her mother and that doctor told her that she had some mental illness or the like. But in reality I think it's more like a rare gift.
Like Honjous ability of "being able to play a song by heart after hearing it once", Makina pretty much has the ability to create songs by imagining a world in her dreams... or perhaps vice versa, she creates a song and imagines a setting befitting it. I believe I've read somewhere that some artists (song writers or ones who paint, etc..) create songs/paintings the same way. So she isn't really mentally ill, but rather has some amazing gift.
So those two still fit quite well together, in my opinion.

But telling her now that they aren't really "the same" would probably be a bad idea since she still thinks she is "weird".
1 or 2 more episodes of their developing relationship would've been best.
Apr 14, 2014 11:26 AM
Oct 2010
xchee said:
skudoops said:
xchee said:

Yeah I think that would have been it, but she had that dream when she was a little kid that's why I'm having a bit of trouble connecting that to child-Juri. I had to keep pausing just to see what the flashing images were and in it she looked like she was in grade school.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, issues she has seem to be out of order more than anything else. She was ostracized because of the images she drew based on her dream, yet her dream deals with a theme of being yourself. Normally she should get the dream after being ostracized, not because of it.
Apr 14, 2014 4:12 PM

Nov 2012
It was okay.Not as grand or as good as I expected it to be.Wonder how the other anime mirai projects turn out considering this was the one I had the highest hopes for.6/10.
Apr 14, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2007
I really enjoyed it! Yoshiura is such a great director.
Apr 14, 2014 6:07 PM

Oct 2011
I want more OMG why so short T___T

Makina's dream is a parallel to her real life?
Apr 14, 2014 8:52 PM

Sep 2013
That first dude who walked over to their desk, his voice is so dull sounding :p

"I like boring." What a strange thing to say :P

Lol the player had a pie on the back :3

Getting all that just from one song I'm impressed.

Damn she got excited.

That slap, he deserved it.

Oh so he just listened to the second track without realizing it :/

I wonder how she would react if he told her about the 2nd track or if she found it?

Anyways this was pretty good.
Apr 15, 2014 8:15 AM

Oct 2010
Much deeper than what most people here seem to be realizing. As for her dream starting when she was a kid and not more recently; how does that change anything? She said she still has the dream this day. She doesn't feel like her true self having to act "normal" around her friends..that's why shes so happy she met someone who even remotely understands her. It's like if you lived in a place where no one liked anime and you finally met someone that does XD . Except for her, it's all been in her head of course. This is something that really happens to kids BTW. I thought it was fantastic given it's 25 minutes. It's amazing to write a full story and fit that time frame. 9/10
Apr 15, 2014 4:18 PM
Apr 2013
Easily the best one this year. None of its main characters, not even the jock antagonist you're clearly supposed to dislike, are two-dimensional: by the end of the OVA, you can sympathise with almost everyone. Direction is great, which is really to be expected. Too bad this is the most QUALITY-ridden OVA of the four, though none of the QUALITY hurts the experience.

What really makes it stand out from the other three is its sensitive treatment of a serious theme. It's just a high school romance, but Yoshiura is able to pry apart the workings of the two main characters' worlds and show us just how magical and strange this romance is. Its ending song is essentially perfect, capturing that delicate moment when two worlds meet.

skudoops said:
xchee said:
skudoops said:
xchee said:

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, issues she has seem to be out of order more than anything else. She was ostracized because of the images she drew based on her dream, yet her dream deals with a theme of being yourself. Normally she should get the dream after being ostracized, not because of it.

Seems like you're reading the dream as a direct parallel to her high school life, and are confused because it's not logical for her childhood dream to relate to her future life. I think your reading is valid, especially with the marching robots paralleling her 'in crowd' friends. However, I don't see the dream as being a direct parallel so much as a story about people who, despite being from entirely different worlds, still manage to connect. We see that the girl is a robot and the boy is a human, in much the same way that Akoi (MC-boy) and Juri (MC-girl) exist in entirely different worlds and connect entirely by accident. This explains some of the gripes others had about the second track on the mp3 player: their relationship isn't anything fated or magical. It just happened from a misunderstanding. But even that's fine, because as long as you're willing to bridge the distance, your worlds will overlap. It's exactly as Akio's final line goes: "でももっと触れたい" ("I want to look deeper into it"). It's also the point the drawing he adds to Juri's collection. The girl is showing the boy her interior, not just her robot parts but the liquid running through. As different as the boy and girl are, they are identical on the most basic of levels, because they are reaching out to one another.
MochaCookiesApr 15, 2014 4:36 PM
Apr 16, 2014 4:14 AM

Apr 2013
Not bad. At least it's something worth to spend your 25 minutes for.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Horror alternative to the episode

Yterbium - Jul 3, 2019

2 by GAkuma »»
Feb 16, 2023 9:10 AM

» Full version of end song?

whitehairgirls - Apr 13, 2014

13 by GAkuma »»
Feb 16, 2023 9:08 AM

» the last scene error - colors & shape

Wannabiteme - Mar 13, 2016

2 by Niello »»
Feb 6, 2018 4:58 AM

» The release status and date for this anime is wrong?

bunny1ov3r - Mar 24, 2014

1 by Summer_Ghost »»
Dec 23, 2014 12:47 PM

» Preview

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

2 by Alumaki »»
Feb 26, 2014 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.