Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 23, 2014 2:40 AM

Feb 2010
What does this mean? I think it is German because I think there was umlaut above 'a'.
ps. it's from the Episode 11
Mar 23, 2014 2:42 AM

Jun 2009
A Doppelgänger is a person who looks just like another person...
Mar 23, 2014 2:46 AM

Feb 2010
No, I know what is Doppelganger but I was interested what the phrase 'doppel the ganger' means.
I think(!) "doppel" is a verb and "the ganger" is a noun. So what is "the Ganger" and what are they do to him/her?

ps. It was very fast reply
Mar 23, 2014 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not even watching the show so I can't comment on whatever this might be about within the show.

However I am German and "doppel the gänger" makes no real sense. "Doppeln" is (kind of) a verb and would mean "to double" although "verdoppeln" would be more commonly used. As for "Gänger" it's also only kind of a noun and really damn archaic. I have never heard this said by anyone in real life. It would translate to something like "walker" as in "a person who walks".

I think it's really just wordplay on "Doppelgäner".

Wannabiteme said:

ps. It was very fast reply

Your topic happened to be at the very top when I clicked "Recent Posts"
Mar 23, 2014 3:00 AM

Feb 2010
grandy_UiD said:

I think it's really just wordplay on "Doppelgäner".

I thought the same. Well, I will wait so maybe someone have more information.
Thank you for the information.
Mar 23, 2014 3:00 AM

Apr 2012
Yes it is a wordplay: in Japanese she says "dopperu wo genga suru" which is like "to gang the doppel", but it's hard to get the joke because the word order gets inverted in English. I think it means "to picture the actions" ( because genga=original picture vs gangaa=gänger), "to original picture the doppel".

Basically witch in furs says she understood, attempt to repeat the word but she Japanizes it (through meaning), but then she explains so that redeems her a little. Japanese generally have trouble with foreign pronounciations.

Sorry if it's not very clear. And I could be wrong.
EratiKMar 23, 2014 3:24 AM
Mar 30, 2014 2:08 AM

Feb 2010
EratiK said:
Yes it is a wordplay: in Japanese she says "dopperu wo genga suru" which is like "to gang the doppel", but it's hard to get the joke because the word order gets inverted in English. I think it means "to picture the actions" ( because genga=original picture vs gangaa=gänger), "to original picture the doppel".

Basically witch in furs says she understood, attempt to repeat the word but she Japanizes it (through meaning), but then she explains so that redeems her a little. Japanese generally have trouble with foreign pronounciations.

That sounds interesting! Thanks!
Mar 30, 2014 4:07 AM

Mar 2014
Wannabiteme said:
EratiK said:

That sounds interesting! Thanks!

In the Japanese language, some words can combine to one. In some cases of a noun and a verb, Japanese conjunction and a part of inflection would be omitted.

For example:
"自己を紹介する" and "自己紹介"
自己(jiko: oneself) を (wo: it is Japanese conjunction) 紹介する(syoukaisuru: introduce)
自己紹介 (jikosyoukai: to intoroduce oneself)

To put it the other way around, the word "AAABBB" can be analyzed into "AAA wo BBB suru."

In the case of "Doppelganger", she analyzed into "dopperu wo genga suru". (In Japanese, there is no distinction of L and R). It was a joke scene. In reality we Japanese sometimes do it in the same way. But if they say it, it means basically "I don't know that words".

P.S. the Japanese language has extremely few pronunciation and extremely simple grammer. Furthermore, it is isolated from the other language. It is a same distance from Japanese to Chinese and to German.
Because of that, it is very difficult to learn the other language for us. The English teacher who came from Australia always got very angry against our pronunciation in my junior high school because it was poorer than a three-year old boy in her country. She had quitted in one year.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.