Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 21, 2014 10:37 AM

Feb 2014
I just finished the series and although i liked it a lot i didn't feel amazed by it. And i know that the first two films are recaps but does rebellion make things a whole lot better. And i like creepy endings and depressive ones like EoE.
Mar 21, 2014 10:42 AM

Mar 2012
Rebellion is a sequel to both the movies and the series. If you really like creepy/depressive endings then I doubt Rebellion will disappoint you.
Mar 21, 2014 10:46 AM
Jul 2013
1000x better.
Mar 21, 2014 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Rebellion is a decent movie. It's somewhat hit or miss and opinions have been rather mixed about it. I personally liked it for the most part but a decent number of people didn't. I wouldn't really compare it to EoE but I guess I can somewhat understand why someone might draw that comparison.
Mar 21, 2014 10:56 AM

Jul 2007
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

Its a rape of perfectly fine franchise, especially the third bullshit movie. Just ignore they exist.

yazio said:
Rebellion is a sequel to both the movies and the series. If you really like creepy/depressive endings then I doubt Rebellion will disappoint you.

No its not, Trainwreckellion has nothing to do with perfect TV series. its far too much of a trainwreck with OOC writing to have anything to do with tv series. TV series end with tv series.
Mar 21, 2014 11:03 AM

Mar 2012
Fai said:
yazio said:

No its not, Trainwreckellion has nothing to do with perfect TV series. its far too much of a trainwreck with OOC writing to have anything to do with tv series. TV series end with tv series.
Perfect? I thought we were talking about Madoka...
Mar 21, 2014 11:07 AM
Dec 2010
Many fans see Rebellion as the End of Evangelion of the series, that Shinbou and Urobuchi tried too hard and the end result was a complete trainwreck. If you are not a huge fan of the TV series it's unlikely the movie will impress you, but you probably should still watch it to see if you like it.
Mar 21, 2014 11:09 AM

Jul 2007
yazio said:
Fai said:
yazio said:

Perfect? I thought we were talking about Madoka...

Madoka tv show was pretty much a masterpiece with great ending and message.

Madoka movies are horrible cash in with incohrent writing ooc characters and horrible ending made solely to sell lifeless soulless sequels.

scytheavatar said:
Many fans see Rebellion as the End of Evangelion of the series, that Shinbou and Urobuchi tried too hard and the end result was a complete trainwreck.

this is understatement.

EOE at least was watchable.
Mar 21, 2014 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
Fai said:
Madoka tv show was pretty much a masterpiece with great ending and message.

Madoka movies are horrible cash in with incohrent writing ooc characters and horrible ending made solely to sell lifeless soulless sequels.
Disagree with the masterpiece part, agree with the rest.
Mar 21, 2014 12:44 PM

Sep 2012
I would say so, but I haven't watched the third movie just yet.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 21, 2014 1:07 PM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

Its a rape of perfectly fine franchise, especially the third bullshit movie. Just ignore they exist.

yazio said:

How was Rebellion a trainwreck? It was extremely well executed imo
Mar 21, 2014 1:41 PM

Jul 2007
Evatallica said:
Fai said:
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

yazio said:

Shitty plot designed solely to sequelize the shit out of madoka.
OOC character writing

Soulless and pointless existence of the movie itself.
rodacMar 21, 2014 8:49 PM
Mar 21, 2014 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
The pacing for the movies is a lot better, although they leave some stuff out. The third movie was amazing IMO, though many people hate it (for good reason). Watch rebellion, but don't force yourself to watch the first two.
Mar 21, 2014 2:12 PM

Jun 2011
They are about the same to me, though the movies did skip a few things about Mami in the movies.

Mar 21, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2013
SolBlade said:
They are about the same to me, though the movies did skip a few things about Mami in the movies.

Yeah that part really annoyed me. Of all the things to cut, you cut that?
Mar 21, 2014 2:33 PM

Nov 2013
Yes, it probably will TC.
Mar 21, 2014 3:19 PM

Feb 2013
Rebellion in my opinion is very good... although is very angst l liked it, so if you like depressive endings go watch it

Mar 21, 2014 4:48 PM

Dec 2012
Rebellion is pretty good, but you really need to sit and think on it to appreciate what's going on, especially the ending. The main series is absolutely a masterpiece though.
Mar 21, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2011
veronica45f said:
Rebellion in my opinion is very good... although is very angst l liked it, so if you like depressive endings go watch it

If this "angst" involves Homura after the ending of the TV series, then I can see it going either way.

OT: I'll wait for the BDs of Rebellion to come out... only 2 more weeks.
Some of my friends hated it, others loved it. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint as I thought the TV series was an enjoyable watch.

Mar 21, 2014 6:31 PM

Jul 2013
can you watch rebellion without watching the 1st 2 movies? i don't want to watch them if they're recap movies
Mar 21, 2014 6:32 PM

Jul 2012
orchidork said:
can you watch rebellion without watching the 1st 2 movies? i don't want to watch them if they're recap movies

Yeah I watched the third movie after watching the series.
Mar 21, 2014 6:37 PM

Nov 2012
Still waiting on the BDs to watch rebellion.
But for the first 2 movies the answer is not.
Mar 21, 2014 6:45 PM
Apr 2011
The series was better for me than the movies.
Having a solidified, episodic structure builds tension at specific points. Some of that is lost in the movie format because there isn't enough time between scenes to allow the viewer to mentally process what has happened. Having episode breaks makes the passage of time easier to recognize and appreciate.

That being said, the movies have slightly better graphics - but the difference isn't the most noticeable if you're not watching them side by side.

There's a great project online that has been using the movie visuals to accompany the series pacing, if you're looking for something to watch then I'd recommend that over both the series and the movies. I'd link it, but a google search for 'madoka magica fancut' should give you a result.

The third movie is kind of its own beast. I think it's good in its own right, but I'd rather keep it distanced from the series.
Mar 21, 2014 7:49 PM

Mar 2012
The TV series is better. The 1st Movie is a straight up recap, with some really random OST changes that just are no where near as fitting as the TV series it seemed they changed it because they could rather than because they should or to improve upon it., it also cuts I think quite a few crucial scenes from the TV series, Mami gets like no back story or development at all in the films, Madoka Dream sequence for god knows what reason is removed, which really throws of a viewer if the films are the persons first time watching the series, theres also a few cut convo with Madoka and Homura discussing Sayaka is cut, also I think another huge scene cut is Homura threatening to kill Sayaka.

The 2nd film fairs much better with no cut content, and has actual additional scenes, but once again the ost is changed for no real reason though not as bad of of a change as the first film the TV series is just better. Both films do have better animation, but story is always more important.

As for the Third Film it is quite a bit darker than the TV series, and is a pretty good film, with an ending which will feel like a punch to gut and will make you feel empty BUT fully justified if you actually pay attention to details. I still prefer the TV series ending, but Rebellions is still very good as well.
Mar 21, 2014 7:51 PM
Jul 2012
Didn't watch the third one yet but hell no@ the first two. first is the exact same thing with more stuff(which isn't good), second is exact same thing but with an added scene in the end(maybe they cut also in the second? not sure). So watch the series, last couple mins of second movie, then the third one
Mar 21, 2014 9:22 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Moved from general Anime Discussion.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 22, 2014 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
There are some changes they made in the recap films that I liked (some of the new music, backgrounds, transformations) but others I didn't. I definitely view the TV show as superior to the recap films.

Rebellion is not recap, and definitely required viewing for every Madoka fan. Some people loved the film, some hated it. I personally loved it, but either way it gets into some really important stuff. It's a movie that encourages multiple viewings and lots of thinking and discussion.
Mar 22, 2014 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
Agree with everyone before, just skip straight to Rebellion, I for one didn't find it that angsty, so it will depend on you but is worthy a try.
Mar 28, 2014 1:51 AM

Jul 2013
Fai said:
Evatallica said:
Fai said:
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

yazio said:

Shitty plot designed solely to sequelize the shit out of madoka.
OOC character writing

Soulless and pointless existence of the movie itself.

Oh my freaking god, are you blind or what?
Everyone completely forgot about how much deep is Homura's psychological state? The third movie fits perfectly with Homura's character and gave a whole new meaning about the real complexity of the series, if you don't like it so this is another story, but tell that they "rape Homura's character to hell"?
Use your head to think just a little, please. Maybe it's time to re-watch the entire TV series or the 2 first movies?
Mar 30, 2014 12:22 AM

Jan 2014
In terms of the first 2 movies vs. the series, the series is definitely better. The movies are far from bad, though. Just some questionable cuts were made in the first movie (along with some questionable execution of scenes, including the infamous scene that was at the end of the 3rd episode in the series), and the second movie had an out-of-the-blue music video in the middle of it that, while it may have had significance in the original series, really had no place being there in the movie. Funny how they would cut some pretty important scenes in the first movie, and then leave a completely pointless music video in the second.

Plus, the story itself mostly works better in episodic chunks than in two films.
zacrathedemon5Mar 30, 2014 12:26 AM
Apr 18, 2014 5:14 PM

Dec 2011
I watched all three films and didn't enjoy the experience. I absolutely loved the series when I first saw it, I thought the pacing and reveals were great and that it had an awesome story.

The films had a diminished sense of tension and due to its pacing, had a lack of emotional wallop. The new part of the story, Rebellion, felt like a tacked-on addition solely to make more money and provide fan service. The original series ending was great, but this new film didn't make me feel anything. I didn't care for it.

I'd only recommend watching the series and avoiding the films altogether.
Apr 20, 2014 10:45 PM
Nov 2013
disagree that the series had a better OST. both the films and the anime series share a good amount of tracks, but the new additions in the films are superior. not too sure about the placement though.
Apr 21, 2014 3:01 AM
Jan 2013
Fai said:
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

yazio said:

No its not, Trainwreckellion has nothing to do with perfect TV series. .

Madoka has always been a trainwreck,it just took the movie for you to realise it.

May 1, 2014 8:11 AM

Jun 2013
Well the first and second movies are basically just a retelling of the series. If you don't care to see the same story over again don't bother watching it, just go watch Rebellion, but I think you should watch the first and second movies because they are completely remade, all the art is new and if you pay close attention you can see slight differences, the sound is rerecorded as are the character's voices, it's almost like watching the series for the first time all over again. Unfortunately there are some important details that are left out of the movies so if you haven't seen the series you should watch the series first, THEN the movies. To answer questions though, the movies are basically the same as the series with slight alterations to sound, art and detail.

Rebellion is amazing. I just watched it last night and it was an incredible movie. The sound was beautiful and fit each scene, the art was even more beautiful and extravagant than the series and other movies, the character development was shocking and exciting and so many plot twists god damn
May 1, 2014 9:48 AM

Nov 2013
genesic123 said:
Fai said:
Short answer - NO.
Long answer - FUCK NO.

yazio said:

No its not, Trainwreckellion has nothing to do with perfect TV series. .

Madoka has always been a trainwreck,it just took the movie for you to realise it.

Madoka was never a trainwreck.
And the movie was pretty good.
May 3, 2014 8:26 AM

Jan 2012
I watched the series and movies. In my opinion the first 2 movies were fantastic, every bit as good as the original series. I thought they would be straight recap and cut down to boot like the Gurren Lagan movies but actually they added quite a bit of new stuff like the events from Homura's original timeline.

But the third movie wow. It - was - just - terrible.

I read in on some blogs the writer Gen Urobuchi actually wanted the series to end right there. But he was roped into continuing the series because of the rest of the staff or something.
May 3, 2014 9:36 AM

Aug 2009
It was terrible..... because?

Yes Urobuchi never thought of expanding the story and never liked the idea either.This is apparent in the 3rd film.
May 3, 2014 10:04 AM

Nov 2013
ssjokg said:
It was terrible..... because?

Yes Urobuchi never thought of expanding the story and never liked the idea either.This is apparent in the 3rd film.

Incoming: They destroyed Homura's character, it was a sad edgy ending, etc...
Just like the last couple of threads.
Oct 24, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2018
I personally liked the movie recaps over the anime, because first off it is much more prettier, my favorite opening of the whole franchise, Luminous is played for the 2 movies, new soundtrack musics to play alongside the original ones especially the one when Madoka ascends into godhood and saying her last words to Homura before disappearing. the third movie uses the elements from the 1st and 2nd movies, and these materials are later used in Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Side Story the mobile app game, and finally the movies made me follow Madokaism even further.
Mar 12, 2022 9:09 AM
Oct 2021
Fck noooooo.Series way better especially eps 10 and 8
Mar 21, 2022 11:04 AM
Nov 2014
Am I the only one who didn't mind them cutting the dream sequence at the beginning? I haven't seen the series in a long time so I decided to watch the movies as a refresher. While it could be argued that Madoka saying it feels like she met Homura before in a dream makes less sense here because of the cut, I think that it surprises the viewer more when story suddenly takes a darker turn.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1044 by sharosharo »»
May 10, 2:04 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.