Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

So is the lack of male witches some kind of fan service decision or are they just supposed to be special? What is the deal?

Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 18, 2014 5:33 PM

Jun 2013
Normally in a show with a predominate female cast, you don't feature males too much because its partly supposed to be fan servicy. But I don't get that vibe at all from WCW. So I would guess it was calculated and maybe male witches are rare and/or special, but nobody really makes anything of the fact that Honoka is male and a witch, nor the teacher. The teacher is even relatively powerful, but gets used as a butt monkey or just treated like another witch.

I guess this probably is answered with "just because, author has no special reason", but then it wouldn't really kill him to throw in at least some background male witches. Not even the fodder no name witches shown in the background are male.
Mar 18, 2014 5:42 PM

Aug 2013
My best guess is that male witches (wizards) are rare, I don't even think Honoka is a witch and only has powers thanks to
Mar 18, 2014 6:24 PM
Oct 2012
krownklown said:
So I would guess it was calculated and maybe male witches are rare and/or special, but nobody really makes anything of the fact that Honoka is male and a witch, nor the teacher.

I guess this probably is answered with "just because, author has no special reason", but then it wouldn't really kill him to throw in at least some background male witches. Not even the fodder no name witches shown in the background are male.

In popular culture witches are almost exclusively women, so it would make sense for them to be women in this show. The writer is also SF fan, and as such I seriously doubt he hasn't read Fritz Leiber's classic novel "Conjure Wife" and the premise there was that women practiced witchcraft while the men were ignorant of it. That seems to be the setting here.

In reality 30-35% of the witches burnt at the stake were actually men. Most of what people "know" about the trials has been disproved by modern research (since the 70's). Here are some surprising truths:

No witches were burnt during the dark ages, they were burnt during the Renaissance and the "age of enlightenment".

The Catholic Church did not burn witches, and most certainly the Inquisition did not (indeed where the Inquisition was the strongest they did far more to stop the panics). People confuse the Inquisition with "trial by inquisition" which is method of trial, not an institution.

Witch burning was not sexist inspired. There was no rhyme or reason to the accusations, for the most part they seem to have been the result of longstanding resentment, usually BY women AGAINST women. The most likely reason why women were accused more than men was because men had other physical methods of dealing with people they resented, women were more likely to engage in slander.

Best estimates of the number of witches killed during the "burning times" (1500-1700) has decreased to around 30-40K, and this number is still probably too high (historians have generally estimated the number killed, but as more records have been discovered they have continued to realize that their estimates were far to high and are still in the process of lowering them).

Witches were burnt because of Christianity. Not true, the first recorded "witch craze" occurred in Rome while Christianity was still a weird cult, it wasn't religiously inspired but secularly inspired.

This is an important thing to remember, the clergy did not fear witches because they had God on their side, but secular rulers were susceptible to fears. A famous example was James I of England. When his wife Anne of Denmark came to England her boat was almost lost in a storm, James always believed that witches had been used and started one of the two main witch hunts in English history.
Mar 18, 2014 8:01 PM

May 2010
No it's a called a wizard.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 18, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
Confucius said:
No it's a called a wizard.

I think as used in common verbage, a warlock is generally viewed as a male witch. I am not going to get into the whole wiccan discussion either, that is just a can of worms.

Although if we really want to be technical it depends on the writer and they can chose whatever they want.

I get Honoka since he is the main character, and allegedly the creator was forced to change him from a girl, then why bother making the teacher a male witch/warlock/ whatever you want to call them? With him gone its not even an issue, all witches are female, and Honoka is just covered by MC status.

Also the question becomes how did Honoka's sister become a witch, it seems genetic, not something everyone can become, and as I already mentioned in another thread her mom is not a witch.

I know the author did it "just because" and " I am over thinking it", but part of me secretly hopes it has some significance and then I can see the author saying "did you see what I did there?"
krownklownMar 18, 2014 8:56 PM
Mar 19, 2014 1:13 PM

Sep 2013
I dont read the manga so for now Im gonna say warlocks are rare but magically inferior so theyre not treated as special just because theyre male.
Takuan_Soho said:
krownklown said:
So I would guess it was calculated and maybe male witches are rare and/or special, but nobody really makes anything of the fact that Honoka is male and a witch, nor the teacher.

In popular culture witches are almost exclusively women, so it would make sense for them to be women in this show. The writer is also SF fan, and as such I seriously doubt he hasn't read Fritz Leiber's classic novel "Conjure Wife" and the premise there was that women practiced witchcraft while the men were ignorant of it. That seems to be the setting here.

In reality 30-35% of the witches burnt at the stake were actually men. Most of what people "know" about the trials has been disproved by modern research (since the 70's). Here are some surprising truths:

No witches were burnt during the dark ages, they were burnt during the Renaissance and the "age of enlightenment".

The Catholic Church did not burn witches, and most certainly the Inquisition did not (indeed where the Inquisition was the strongest they did far more to stop the panics). People confuse the Inquisition with "trial by inquisition" which is method of trial, not an institution.

Witch burning was not sexist inspired. There was no rhyme or reason to the accusations, for the most part they seem to have been the result of longstanding resentment, usually BY women AGAINST women. The most likely reason why women were accused more than men was because men had other physical methods of dealing with people they resented, women were more likely to engage in slander.

Best estimates of the number of witches killed during the "burning times" (1500-1700) has decreased to around 30-40K, and this number is still probably too high (historians have generally estimated the number killed, but as more records have been discovered they have continued to realize that their estimates were far to high and are still in the process of lowering them).

Witches were burnt because of Christianity. Not true, the first recorded "witch craze" occurred in Rome while Christianity was still a weird cult, it wasn't religiously inspired but secularly inspired.

This is an important thing to remember, the clergy did not fear witches because they had God on their side, but secular rulers were susceptible to fears. A famous example was James I of England. When his wife Anne of Denmark came to England her boat was almost lost in a storm, James always believed that witches had been used and started one of the two main witch hunts in English history.

Got any idea where I can pick up this kind of knowledge? This topic has always had my interest but never looked into for whatever reason.
Mar 19, 2014 8:34 PM

Dec 2007
krownklown said:
Normally in a show with a predominate female cast, you don't feature males too much because its partly supposed to be fan servicy. But I don't get that vibe at all from WCW. So I would guess it was calculated and maybe male witches are rare and/or special, but nobody really makes anything of the fact that Honoka is male and a witch, nor the teacher. The teacher is even relatively powerful, but gets used as a butt monkey or just treated like another witch.

Whole thing is a giant gender inversion. Takamiya is the damsel in distress, while the women are all super competent warriors who never have to worry about having to hide behind men or let relationship stuff drive them crazy. It's most shonen series in reverse.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Mar 19, 2014 9:11 PM

Jun 2013
I know women are generally viewed as witches, but to contrast that generally when witches exist so do other super natural things, and males have their own version.

Other than aliens, I have seen few works where one sex or the other is completely normal and the other is supernatural. Even Claymore has male warriors.
Mar 21, 2014 5:39 AM

Jun 2013
Ep 11 answered the question.

Males are viewed as low in status and basically get no say in matters, so despite the teacher being powerful his niece is in line to inherit their family.

Also he called himself a mage, although technically a mage is female, a sage is male.
Mar 21, 2014 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
krownklown said:

Also he called himself a mage, although technically a mage is female, a sage is male.

Since when?
Mar 21, 2014 5:55 AM

Jun 2013
^ Im not going to get into another argument over semantics (think it was a few manga/manwha that made this distinction, but since these are all make believe things you can say whatever is good). In any case, question answered. /finished
Mar 23, 2014 2:55 AM

Feb 2010
Decide said:
krownklown said:

Since when?

I haven't heard about sage, and I thought 'mage' was gender-neutral but It might be like with polish "witcher" (male witch?)
Old_Raven said:

Got any idea where I can pick up this kind of knowledge? This topic has always had my interest but never looked into for whatever reason.

+1
Mar 23, 2014 1:41 PM
Oct 2012
krownklown said:
Also he called himself a mage, although technically a mage is female, a sage is
male.

Not true, Mage is derived from the old Persian word "Magi" (who were thought to have magical powers), Sage is derived from Latin, meaning "wisdom". Neither has anything to do with the other.
Mar 23, 2014 4:00 PM

Jun 2013
Yea I mixed it up with a few anime that I saw where they split the two based on sex. I mean a sage is actually realistically possible, its just someone wise, while like someone else said a magi is a magical person.
Mar 23, 2014 11:32 PM

Jun 2012
so to actually answer the question i believe episode 8 or 9 the " male " teacher said that male witches are rare and lose power in the're family's or something like that and the same would most likely happen to takamiya
Mar 25, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2013
alphastigma117 said:
so to actually answer the question i believe episode 8 or 9 the " male " teacher said that male witches are rare and lose power in the're family's or something like that and the same would most likely happen to takamiya

They don't lose magical power, they just lose standing. But I assume its also dependent, the teacher is viewed as just another male witch, while Takamiya is a. Kagari's love who she must protect and holds above anybody else, even willing to go against her mother, and b. has ties to the white witch.

So I don't think in his case he would be pushed aside. I mean you have the same thing in real life, even in patriarchal societies on a few occasions a strong female leader can take center stage.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.