Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2009 12:50 PM
Jul 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So after how many years, I decided to re-read all of JoJo again... whooooooooooo this will take a while!

Dio is still Dio as ever, but I had completely forgotten about Jonathan's story aside from the bits they kept reminding us of later, so it's kind of nice to reread. Plus at 44 chapters, it won't really take that long to get through Phantom Blood.
Feb 10, 2012 12:06 PM

Mar 2010
Well the beginning was kind of a blur to me other than some ancient people doing stuff, and Jojo being really rich and not being that strong.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 27, 2012 8:55 PM

Feb 2008
Obviously I've heard a lot about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but I've never watched/read/played anything related. So this is my first exposure to it.

JoJo seems too full of himself. Wants to protect everyone etc. Same goes for Dio, but instead of wanting to protect everyone, he only cares about himself and is a scumbag. Wonder what will become of them.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 30, 2014 9:15 PM

Jun 2014
Dio, as evil as ever. Almost as good as the anime adaption so far.
Jul 24, 2015 8:54 PM

Aug 2012
The beginning of JoJo, a series that has quickly become one of my favorites, definitely among battle shonen, which is why it's such a shame that Phantom Blood sucks. The first chapter was mildly different from the anime adaption which I'm familiar with (which omitted the prologue & moved some scenes around). One chapter in & it doesn't seem like I'll be enjoying this any more than I enjoyed the anime, which isn't surprising but a little upsetting. Oh well, I want to read something while I wait for more of Part 4 to get colored.
Apr 10, 2016 12:27 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, two polar opposite dudes meet. Dio's father was an asshole.

4/5
May 5, 2016 4:00 AM

Aug 2014
Good 'ol douchebag Dio...
Jun 16, 2016 11:38 AM

Feb 2012
Wow JoJonium was well worth the money.
JoJo attempting to fight off Erin's bullies was my favourite part.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 13, 2017 1:33 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Dio is a bad kid!!!! :/
Mar 29, 2018 3:18 AM

Jan 2013
Jonathan 💟💟
*30 characters*

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Apr 28, 2018 5:28 AM

Feb 2017
Yeah JoJo, forget about your dog getting knocked the fuck out by our new houseguest. Manners, boy.
May 9, 2018 5:57 AM

Dec 2015
Well, the part with the Aztecs wasn't in the anime. At least as far as I can remember...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 1, 2018 9:45 AM

May 2016
Since the Vento Aureo anime's coming out in less than a week after 2 years and it might take just as long for Stone Ocean to get adapted as well, I think that it's about time I start the manga right from the start to finally get the full golden JoJo experience. I might've not liked this one as much as the others but this one's the granddaddy responsible for being the maiden voyage of one of the greatest manga series of all time so I better pay respects!

It might be me having bad memory like Araki or it wasn't shown in the anime but I'm surprised that the Aztec Stone Masks were given the spotlight right away but the real question is why the Joestars would have such a questionable thing with them. George was so naivé that he basically gave up everything he had at the moment to a petty scavenger oof.

Jonathan revealing his handkerchief must've been a subtle way of showing that he's proud of his family name even if he'll get beat up for it and that's noble. Little did he know that brat Dio would go beyond being a dog-kicker and turn into the biggest misfortune he'd ever meet...

Dec 1, 2018 6:43 AM

Feb 2013
His father was a scumbag but Dio ain't a saint either, poor Danny!
Feb 17, 2019 9:32 PM

Oct 2017
The manga is also as epic as the anime. Watched the anime and reading the manga now because vento auro is airing and might move on to the next part 6 in the manga cause I cant wait for two long years, gyahh I absolutely hate Dio.

I want you to be happy.
I want you to laugh a lot.
I don’t know what exactly
I’ll be able to do for you,
but I’ll always be by your side.
Aug 19, 2019 8:33 AM

Jun 2016
And so, I start Jojo. This was enjoyable. I laughed so hard when the bullies were saying if this is a Joestar then we'll punch his teeth out.. and then he took out the handkerchief with his name on it and proceeded to immediately get beat up more. I wasn't under the impression he thought about it, but then Erina mentioned it and made me think it was more than that. Like someone here said, it's possible and I think implied it was a way of Jonathan not hiding who he is even if it gets him beat up. He did say he wanted to be a squire and a squire mustn't sit back even when at a disadvantage. So it may have been in his code to not back down, as well as some pride for his own family. I like it, that's a telling thing about him. He seems a little wholesome, determined, but physically weak. He also has a code to follow!

Then there's Dio, first seen reading a book, second seen spitting on his father's grave. He's intelligent, cold, and collected. He moved very elegantly off that carriage. And I love his design, he looks super cool. His father telling Dio to go live with the Joestars was maybe a sign he did care for his son to some degree. It could just be him wanting his own bloodline to continue strong, but it could be more. Interestingly, he told Dio to become wealthy and he decided to do so, but I'd say by spitting on his grave and insulting him it was a way of saying he'll do it for himself. I bet he's had a hard life. His goal, to exploit every opportunity to become powerful and wealthy, the first course of action, I'd say to get Jonathan as the heir out of the picture and make the Joestar fortune his and his alone.

Both the bullies in Jonathan's section and Dio and his father seem to already be playing at class conflicts. As the narrator said, everyone dreams to be rich, Dario died thinking he hadn't accomplished anything and was willing to strip rich corpses of their goods and even their teeth. The bullies would hate Jonathan even more if he was the rich heir to the Joestars, and they mocked Erina asking if her daddy bought something for her. Dio has already been touched on.

And duh, I must talk about the Aztec Sun People and their ritualistic blood mask which takes living blood as a sacrifice to latch into the brain and give people strength and life force stealing powers. Somehow I feel Dio will get his hands on that on his journey. Why it traveled all the way to the Joestars is an interesting question, maybe by coincidence it made its way into their hands. The chief said it gave eternal life but I'll say for now we probably can't accept the rumors about it as absolute. The mask seems to latch onto people like a parasite.
Nov 23, 2019 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
I must say, a very strong start! Dio kicking the dog was, wow.
Jun 21, 2020 7:44 AM
May 2019
what a bizarre things to begin with, the opening is strange.
Dio has such a strange and bad dad and that's why he hates him.
I feel bad for Jonathan, he's my favorite Jojo if you don't know.
Dio is such a bastard and everything.
Poor Danny.. fun fact: when I showed my sister the first chapter she thought Danny was dead Lol
Jay_armorJun 21, 2020 7:50 AM
Jul 28, 2020 2:38 AM

Jun 2020
Finished the part 1 manga, thoroughly disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I believe people around me hyped up JoJo too much for me and I was expecting much more. Didn't like Jonathan at all, plus the motives seemed a bit meh to me.
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 16, 2020 2:49 PM

Sep 2011
Having just watched the anime, I must say that they did a great adaptation of the manga. It was very faithful. I'm reading the colored version, and is really beautiful.

Poor dog, that was a powerful kick.
Jan 19, 2021 4:55 AM
Nov 2020
In the beginning, we got to see what the mask is good for, but in my opinion, it was more suspenseful in the anime where we didn't know that.

And than we can have a look into Dio's life and how his father met with the Joestars.
After that Dio arrives at the Joestar mansion.

Right at the beginning of the first chapter of this series, we can see the duality of Jonathan and Dio.
We got to see how one is a gentleman and the other is just a simple villain at this point.

It's a very good start of the series, don't speedread any page, take time to enjoy every detail of it.
Feb 21, 2021 9:42 AM
Jan 2018
This is rare , the first chapter was colored.
Jul 17, 2021 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
This chapter was pretty good so far. Unlike the first half of the first season of the anime, we got some background into the origins of the mask. Which I think is pretty interesting. I'm curious to see how much the manga differs in storytelling than the anime.
Oct 24, 2021 1:20 AM
Sep 2020
I just knew I'd love the manga style already (⌒▽⌒)☆

The color was such a nice touch. Usually I don't like colored comics/manga, but I thought the colors blended together nicely. I'm excited to see how similar it is to the anime (since I watched that first).
Dec 2, 2021 8:05 PM
Aug 2021
Wow JOJO NO KIMYOU NA BOUKEN.. LOVE
IT SOO MUCH.. I HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THE ANIME and I liked it so much
That I started to read the manga..
👌👌 Though havent read it full
But having great fun with it😁😁
Sep 14, 2022 6:40 AM
Sep 2022
So far, so good I love it! : D
Nov 13, 2022 8:15 AM
Nov 2021
Este capítulo apresenta os principais temas, época, razões e circunstâncias em que a história se passa e esta inserida e é claro, os principais personagens e seus propósitos, além é claro da máscara de pedra. A única coisa que não fez sentido foi em questão o propósito de Dio em querer atacar a família Joestar sem nem um motivo ou pelo menos muito claro. E também do simples fato dele atacar o cachorro do Jonathan apenas para fazer um desgaste mental e emocional de graça para o personagem. Mas tirando isso com certeza seria nota 5/5.
Dec 20, 2022 11:41 PM

Jan 2021
On the journey of my JoJo's Bizarre Adventure re-read and I'm already loving it just like I did when I first started JoJo, if not even more. JoJo is my favorite series of all time, in fact, it's my favorite THING of all time. I just love all the characters and just everything Araki created. Can't wait to see the entire journey that spanned over a hundred years that started with two young boys again. Might take a while to read because I'm reading other things but I'll definitely have finished it all again eventually.
Feb 5, 2023 4:51 PM
Feb 2023
It will be a long journey but i will read it
_ شفنا أنه في عصر قديم كانت توجد قبيلة صراحة ما فهمت ما هي علاقة القناع بهم لكن سنعرف قريبا
_ تعرفنا علي ديو الي اسمع عنه كثير.يبدو أنه شخصيته سيئة و أبوه أسوء منه كما قله يذهب لعائلة جوستار للعيش هناك كنبيل
_ تعرفنا ايضا على جوناثان و هو نبيل من نفس العائلة الذي سيذهب لها ديو يبدو أنه لا يريد أن يكون ضعيف كبقية النبلاء لكنه يواجه صعوبات بهذا الأمر
_ ثم التقيا اخيرا و يبدو أنهم لن يكونوا أصدقاء
Mar 1, 2023 9:40 PM
Feb 2019
It's JoJo, JoJo is always good imo
Mar 7, 2023 11:22 AM
Mar 2023
So that's dio why do i feel his hair not yellow
Mar 26, 2023 8:10 PM

Oct 2017
First time reading Jojo.
Wanna see if I would like it.
Didn't watch the anime yet.
If the manga is amazing will watch it and give it a chance
Nov 6, 2023 11:13 PM

Apr 2020
Genitalman Joestar vs Dickhead Brando. Hoping for an actual bizarre experience reading this
Mar 14, 6:47 AM
Feb 2024
Good introduction into part 1
May 4, 5:28 PM
Dec 2022
Gang... you might wanna take a look at this...

Its jojo time

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 44 Discussion

TuzoAnime - Apr 4, 2010

41 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 8:10 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 43 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

15 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 8:07 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 41 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

15 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 7:54 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 38 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

17 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 7:49 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 35 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Sep 28, 2012

20 by wallus81 »»
May 6, 7:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.