Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 6:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'm surprised no one made a post on the last chapter (excluding the extra epilogue).

So this chapter concludes everything nicely. It's hard to describe the feeling of this series, as it is at the same time mundane but melancholic. The "night of humanity" is very peaceful. Just like an old person who has fully lived his life, humanity passes its last years peacefully and comfortably. And slowly, the humans will fade away from Earth, while the androids will witness their last moments....That's about the most soothing "end of the human world" I have ever seen....And I really hope that if we can't survive as a race, our race can at least finish our last days as peacefully as described in this series.

Many things are left unresolved...Again, humans are still there. That means that maybe human population will decline even further but they will stick around for a very very long time (gradual extinction will probably take millenniums)... As for the epilogue, it actually shows hope for humanity, at least a symbol that humanity may still persist in one form or another, mainly through the androids, which are the "children of humanity"

I would like them to actually explain the flying monitor ship that orbits the Earth, but I guess too much explanation will destroy the poetic nature of this SF masterpiece.

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 26, 2009 9:33 AM

Jul 2007
wakka9ca said:
I'm surprised no one made a post on the last chapter (excluding the extra epilogue).
Possibly because such comments tend to be posted at Cafe Alpha rather than here?

Anyway, that "twilight of humanity" is a fact of life. The elder generation passes on and with them the world of the past fades away. As the years pass, their numbers dwindle and fewer people would have memories of first-hand experiences of the World Wars, the Counterculture revolution, the Beatles, or the King of Pop even.
YuunagiMay 3, 2010 3:59 AM
Aug 26, 2009 10:04 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yuunagi said:
wakka9ca said:
Possibly because such comments tend to be posted at [urlhttp://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=314]Cafe Alpha[/url] rather than here?

Anyway, that "twilight of humanity" is a fact of life. The elder generation passes on and with them the world of the past fades away with them. As the years pass, their numbers dwindle and fewer people would have memories of first-hand experiences of the World Wars, the Counterculture revolution, the Beatles, or the King of Pop even.

That is why humans may need a collective memory that will last longer than individual human lives, to record first hand what happened. I think this is one of the reason the A7 prototypes were built....

I was also referring to the "twilight of humanity" as the end of humanity as hinted in this manga....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 24, 2009 5:47 PM

Apr 2008
A very warming manga, but not that interesting.
Mar 9, 2010 11:49 AM
Aug 2009
It was very warming, it was shock for me after reading all this "normal" manga. This one is awesome, is like trip to other world.

It's not a clear ending, but I still love it ^^
Apr 13, 2010 3:54 AM

Apr 2009
That was an amazing manga. 10/10, would read again etc.

Darn, I feel empty now.
Feb 8, 2011 9:39 PM

Feb 2010
At the moment, I don't have any words for this. Not that it matters because whatever I said could never do justice to this manga. It is so good at putting my mind at ease and I will definitely read this again, especially if I am going through a bad patch.
Mar 18, 2011 1:20 PM
Mar 2011
This was a good story but I didn't give it 5 stars because I missed the way Alpha was beautifully drawn in the pilot story. And why did Ashinano draw Alpha with granny glasses instead of sunglasses? But then, the story was meant to be more pensive than get readers to fall in love with Alpha's beauty.... it was too somber.

Also, Takahiro was in the series' first regular story (Alpha's first trip to Yokohama was the pilot that Kodansha's Afternoon magazine turned into a series after the pilot won a contest hosted by Afternoon magazine in 1994) and, in my opinion, should have been in the final story.

Ashinano produced, even with some complaints and criticisms from fans, one of the best manga series ever!
What's sad is that Ashinano went from producing a masterpiece to producing a run-of-the-mill series (Kabu no Isaki) that has none of the magic or wonder or engaging characters that YKK possessed.
I so wish Ashinano could do a YKK spinoff series that goes back to the years YKK took place and give us stories he could have told but didn't.
If he'd even do a new series in a different world with a YKK feel of magic and wonder, I'd jump for it!
May 8, 2011 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
what a wonderful series.
Aug 6, 2011 1:31 AM

Sep 2009
I really enjoyed this, but at the same time I wished the would have expanded the story a bit. I wanted to know what exactly happened to the world? What was the Misago? etc.

Also the entire time I was reading this I was expecting some kind of heavy drama scene, but it never really went there.

Overall though, still a very good manga.
Oct 19, 2012 5:00 PM
Aug 2007
Really enjoyed this manga. I also do wish a couple of things were explained (like the that airship, the misago, who/where is the "owner", what happened to the world for it to be in the current state).

I loved how the passage of time was portrayed near the end, almost as if the "immortality" of the android was a curse to them because they saw their loved ones go through their lives..

10/10 for me.
RaiteiOct 26, 2012 12:20 PM
Mar 19, 2013 12:19 PM

Feb 2012
Yeah, this is good, but overall it left much to be desired in terms of exploring the characters and the world. It felt like it only went halfway. Whether this makes it more ambiguous or just incomplete is up to the reader I guess.
May 5, 2013 5:01 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I also do wish a couple of things were explained (like the that airship, the misago, who/where is the "owner", what happened to the world for it to be in the current state).
I think, explaining all those things would have been "out of character" for the story. That's not the right words, I think, but I can't seem to think of the right words at this moment. The major theme of this story was how Alpha saw things through her eyes. Her personality was mildly exploratory but not really curious. She liked seeing what was around her and immersing herself in the scenery, but she rarely probed for answers to what she saw. For the most part she was just happy to have seen it and experienced it.
Dec 18, 2013 11:18 PM

Jan 2013
Beautiful. One of the few manga where I can flip to a random chapter and feel at peace. 10/10
Mar 14, 2014 1:32 AM
Oct 2010
Right now I have a hole in my heart, I need to fill it with preferably something as good as this series.

I both liked and disliked the vagueness that we got since a lot of stuff went unexplained. At least some more hints for some of the unexplained had been nice.

In the end, one of the best manga I have read.
Sep 5, 2014 3:26 PM

Dec 2013
One word to describe this manga and that is.... Beautiful!

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Dec 24, 2014 4:12 PM

Oct 2012
Anyone notice Kokone and Alpha have officially moved in together? Kokone watching over the Cafe in Alpha's apron while Alpha goes out to get some supplies. Kokone exclaims " Welcome home" as Alpha comes back. Kokone is now part of " home" for Alpha as well.
WhalelalaApr 1, 2018 8:12 PM

Dec 8, 2015 4:48 PM

Aug 2015
An enjoyable and beautiful manga. Loved every chapter and was wishing it would never end. It got quite said watching everyone grow up and move away, while Alpha is basically the exact same since chapter.1

A bit dissapointed we didn't get to see the owner, and what the flying ship was all about. But the uniqueness of the series made it a great read nonetheless.

Also Kokone and Alpha running the shop together was a dream come true. Loved the pair, any chapter they were together in was insane gold.
Feb 4, 2016 4:34 PM

Oct 2012
this ending made me feel really empty
I am sad
Dec 18, 2016 2:36 PM

Sep 2012
it was okay, but nothing special. 6/10
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Aug 17, 2017 3:14 PM
Jan 2012
Yaaaaaay! Alpha and Kokonoe are living together by the end. No loneliness.
Sep 29, 2020 6:53 PM

Oct 2017
The last chapter was nice, and that it was colored, but sadly i was really hoping the entire chapter would of been colored for the ending. Nice story overall, the most slice of life, slice of life thing I've ever did done witness I dare do say so myself...

Damn sad as shit as well........ Huh.... wonder why the mal site says +2 more chapters,

I wished more was explained, at least more hints at the least,,, but,,, it may just not of been its style,
and it was very unique to say the least, i think explaining the entire world would of stole from that, and stole the connection to alpha who really never understood everything perfectly either,

We're simply just trying to make sense of it all as the days go on, and thats the least we can do,
and that was nice,
Jul 27, 2021 8:27 AM

Dec 2018
This was a beautiful manga. I legit nearly cried at the end >.<

My experience was fantastic as well. Here in Australia it’s currently winter so I read the manga while rugged up and sipping on green tea. So relaxing~
Aug 5, 2021 4:40 PM

Oct 2011
i mean kudos to mangaka for managing to get it to 140 chaps with barely minimum stuff or action but nontheless nothing special about it 6/10

i would prefer most of the fluff in it to be transformed to some beautiful artbooks tho

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Jan 24, 2022 6:54 AM

May 2020
You know, this manga actually makes me understand why people find slice-of-life manga to be so relaxing.

I don't think its the greatest manga of all time or anything but it was.... soothing I guess. I don't how to describe it exactly but even though I was going through the chapters quickly, it still felt like everything was happening slowly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lazy afternoon. That's what this manga reminds me of.
May 4, 2022 8:15 AM

Jul 2021
Re-reading the manga just to change my views for a bit. So I did initially think that the lack of narratives was very notable in the manga but to be frank, it's a light-hearted SOL about a girl name Alpha going on a travel scheme throughout the parts of the city she lives in and her motivation doesn't seem to be needed to be in-depth since it's already reaching the goal to where she wants to make a coffee shop and continue to survive through working part-time jobs to get earns and experience new stuff.

I did think the 2nd half had an interesting inner monologue from each of the character's perspective which I find truly enjoyable and somewhat sentimental because as the story progresses we get these relationships that just grows up pretty smoothly but albeit sometimes it can be a bit too quick with the time around but can't help it, and one of the things I find memorable and perhaps the highlight of this series is when Alpha and the rest trying out unique culture and technologies through demonstrative ways it gets pretty interesting in my end since I'm someone who has experienced these stuff independently.

I also did notice a decline of art in the 2nd half (again) I do think it's the change with tools that the mangaka may be using but there were some stunning shots here and there that were pretty memorable. I don't think this is the greatest SOL of all time because the author kind of lacks in the paneling process and how it could've been more added since most chapters are short in length and they tend to be a hit or miss due to the fast-paced which could've been implemented better but I did get a lot of refreshing sense of serenity that makes the essence of the series itself feel very natural. 6/10 > 7/10.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jun 2, 2022 9:45 PM

Feb 2012
Heart warming and comfy, very bitter sweet, time stops for no one

It did feel a little empty with not explaining the mushrooms, water god, blue lights and the air craft

I think the Misago exists to represent the excitement and fascination of youth, Alpha never saw it and Ayase wanted to see it again, but never did, Takahiro and Makki stopped seeing it eventually as they got older

All in all, it was good for what it was and what you can take away from it

Jun 10, 2022 7:05 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I probably never felt that nostalgic while reading a manga before, the way Alpha is confronted to how time goes so fast and how everything changes while she doesn't age is both beautiful and terrifying, really made me realize how short life is and now I feel empty and weird.
Aug 13, 2023 3:43 PM

Jan 2008
I finished a re-read for the first time in decades. It mostly held up for me, the mono no aware is strong.

The only flaw is the plane stuff. I wish it was never included. It didn't really contribute anything meaningful either in terms of plot or theme, it's just an irritating mystery. Like, at one point we see the director of the plane wearing a necklace that Alpha receives late in the story, which gives the impression that all the plane scenes are actually set in the future...but that makes little sense.

Also androids making out with each other to transfer info was bleh.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 7, 2023 2:39 AM

Feb 2020
The beginning of this manga wasn't outstanding but it got better and better and the last 30-40 chapters were incredible. I love that the inner monologue at the end went back to that message from the prologue. The image of sitting on warm concrete resonates so strongly with me.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Chapter 68 Discussion

Cratex - Oct 4, 2012

2 by Jinx_Araragi »»
Mar 8, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Chapter 65 Discussion

stAtic91 - Nov 15, 2009

5 by Jinx_Araragi »»
Mar 8, 10:01 PM

» Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Chapter 63 Discussion

TheGenkiGuy - Dec 1, 2017

1 by Jinx_Araragi »»
Mar 8, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Chapter 23 Discussion

HaiAlwaysHungry - Jul 12, 2009

8 by beenielson »»
Feb 8, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Chapter 84 Discussion

Deliriant - Oct 3, 2014

2 by StephLovesCats »»
Aug 18, 2023 1:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.