Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magic Knight Rayearth
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 3:20 PM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that episode was so cheesy and terrible that it was actually kind of fun. Not that I was expecting anything great, or even particularly good, but there are a couple of things that need improving in a hurry for this to even be remotely watchable. The first is the script which had almost everyone spouting exposition anytime they talked. I know you want to get people into the world quickly, but when almost all of the dialogue is someone explaining something to someone else it gets boring in a hurry. The other huge problem was the pacing which made the show feel like it was on fast forward. I don't know what kind of coke-riddled audience this was intended for (oh wait, that would be Japanese girls), but it seriously needed to slow down a bit.
Sep 7, 2009 9:59 PM

Aug 2008
I've been dying to watch this anime since I was a little girl and now I'm finally going to sit down and watch it. I really loved this episode. Everything was going at the perfect pace that I wasn't bored for a moment, unlike I am with most of the anime I've been watching lately. I'm excited for the next episode and to meet the secondary characters because though I don't dislike the three main ones, I don't love them either.
Nov 8, 2009 7:14 PM
Jul 2008
This was hilarious! The script was so incredibly silly and predictable that it was almost embarrassing to watch at times!
But obviously this is a show for children and, as such, I suppose it really isn't so bad. :) I should have watched when I was a kid but I have a feeling I'll have a laugh watching it now.
To those who think this is bad remember when and for which age group it was made. This is far better than some of the trash they call children's anime.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Mar 29, 2012 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
It took four whole minutes between arriving in tokyo tower and arriving in Cephiro. There has to have been something they could have done to speed things along. Jeez. And the way they all just decided to give up on returning home and quickly became friends? This is just silly.
I have to wonder if everyone in the tower could see Emeraude. What happened to everyone else there?
Nov 6, 2014 7:25 PM

Feb 2013
Not impressed. It was about as expected for an old anime.

I'll check the next episode before deciding to keep going or not.
Jan 21, 2015 6:26 PM

Feb 2014
Hmm nice start! Looks very promising. I'm liking all of the magic fantasy action! Unfortunately the animation leaves something to be desired...but it came out 20 years ago so it's not really something I can complain about :p

I think I like all of the girls...even Umi. But I think Hikaru is my favorite thus far. I like her personality!

But I'll admit...this was kinda goofy...especially with the chibi art.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2015 12:56 AM

Sep 2014
Haven't watched a mahou shoujo anime in a long time. Hopefully this is good.
Nov 19, 2015 8:14 AM

Dec 2013
This anime contains all stereotypes <3 eyes are huge, typical characters, someone who guides them, someone that needs to be saved, a mascotte, a sexy bad lady, a mighty bad guy with long coat, chibi's, mahou shoujo transformations...

Gonna be gold :D
Mar 23, 2016 6:23 AM
Dec 2014
This show is a classic, but MAL doesn't care it seems. I myself am loving it, fucking nineties anime is the best. I feel like a Japanese schoolgirl already.

Ah and no CGI!
Feb 8, 2017 3:46 PM

Nov 2013
The girls are funny. Their comedy routine sits already.

It's so 90s, I love it.

The wizard reminds me of Captain Hitsugaya.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 28, 2017 6:08 PM

Apr 2012
They don't make anime like this anymore.

Like seriously, the waterfall sequence is perfectly crafted: you have the vertical lines, the perpendicular horizontal pan, some rotations around Zagato, Alcyone walking out of the shadows.

The great thing about 90s shows is (in addition to the verticality allowed by 4/3) the cinematic eye that influenced the cut. Nowadays you watch something like Dungeondeai, and outside of the action scenes it feels like you're reading a manga, less effort is put into the less flashy scenes, there's unbalance.

I feel old.
EratiKMar 28, 2017 6:12 PM
Jun 19, 2017 8:07 PM

Nov 2011
This was really cheesy, but it seems like it could be fun. It's not every day that you find an oldschool isekai-style high fantasy mahou shoujo with humongous mecha. I'm going to go ahead and guess that these "Magic Knights" are mecha.

The base charactization for the mains is about as tropey as it gets and probably my least favorite part, but I didn't care for a lot of the characters at the start of, say, Mobile Suit Gundam either in the beginning, so I'll give that some time.

I don't care the massive eyes in the character designs-- sometimes it looks okay and sometimes it looks weird-- but the art is otherwise gorgeous.

All in all it was a so-so start.
TripleSRankJun 19, 2017 8:15 PM
Oct 22, 2017 8:51 AM

Jul 2016
alright episode, when the red main girl did the fire magic, i got really excited by it for no reason. no, actually that was supposed to get me excited, right? that's the purpose...
TheBigGuy said:
The wizard reminds me of Captain Hitsugaya.
i thought so as well!
Jan 6, 2018 7:10 PM

Apr 2011
I haven't watched the Magic Knight Rayearth anime in years! I tried watching on Hulu, to no avail. Before that, I watched this on Youtube. One of the aspects of this anime I loved was the art style, it's GORGEOUS! I like Hikaru, Fuu, and Umi equally.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Aug 15, 2018 9:22 PM

Aug 2016
first ep was good. i like how it doesnt take itself too seriously.
:v
Jan 28, 2019 12:46 PM

Aug 2012
Been wanting to see this show for a long time and I'm happy to finally be getting round to it and in HD too so the cel animation looks wonderful.

You can clearly see Clamp's style coming through even in this 1st episode and I'm already really into this. I love me some 90's fantasy Anime and this is already fantastic in that regard. Reminds me abit of Slayers.

Very good first episode, not sure why so many here are so against it. I mean it's only the first episode so cool off and give the show a chance. Trust me as someone who has watched literally over a 500 TV Anime series you have to let shows sink their teeth in. For me it often takes as many as 9 episodes before I'm fully into a series but once I am it can be alot of fun :D
Apr 1, 2019 1:50 PM

Oct 2016
I love the art aesthetic of the 1990s in anime, but it seems that is so underutilized on anime aimed a a more feminine audience. I enjoy the detail in this world and how diverse the characters look. Maybe not the best storytelling, but definitely an enjoyable watch.
Jun 30, 2019 12:52 PM

Feb 2012
Hikaru is so adorable.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 16, 2019 6:51 PM

Jul 2008
The animation might keep me watching this for a few more episodes, and the light fantasy vibes that feel like a lot of classic RPGs. The story is really weak in the first episode, we'll see how it goes.
May 28, 2020 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
It's been about 8 months at least since I last re-watched MKR. This is one of my all-time favorite anime. I own virtually everything for this series. The DVD's, every form of the manga's including the hardcover box-set that recently released for it. I just love how everything is so colorful in this anime (color-coded characters) and how it's based on an Isekai-fantasy adventure. I find just the way the sequence of their travels go (from meeting up with Master Mage Clef, to finding Mokona and Presea the Artisan, to uncovering the sacred Orb of Escudo so that they Presea can make them weaponry that Evolves, to just the battles against monsters in the crumbling lands of Cephiro (because Princess Emeraude is held captive by Zagato and therefore is not standing as a Pillar over its land) just strings together so nicely. This anime is also a series based on the power of will which is a nice concept in anime. I may have to re-watch this series soon, because it just never grows old.
Sep 22, 2020 5:14 PM

Nov 2017
Yeah, the first episode didn't waste any time introducing the characters and who's important (you can just tell by their designs).

While I'm still on the first episode, I just wanna say that this anime has a nostalgic charm for some people I've met. But the thing is, I don't ever remember this anime airing when I lived in America. And with some cursory search, apparently this anime was popular in the Philippines.

Not even gonna front, that OP is great!
Oct 22, 2020 2:59 AM

Nov 2015
so aesthetic no story yet =/

đź’˘

Jun 30, 2022 4:35 AM

Jan 2020
The next venture into clearing my stalled list! I started to watch this awhile back, but I think I ended up getting distracted by some other anime and just never got around to finishing this. But, now it has my full attention.

I like how Hikaru is over here like, "I'm going to save this world so hard!" And Umi and Fuu are like so done with this already, lmao.

A pretty simple introduction. It's probably safe to assume Umi will have water-type magic and Fuu will get wind-type. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this can end up evolving into a Mech series?

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Sep 5, 2022 10:40 PM

Apr 2021
good first episode + i’m rooting for zagato because he’s hot

Nov 5, 2022 5:16 PM
Nov 2015
very nostalgic, i love the 90s aesthetic that i grew up with. this is a very different type of magical girl anime and i'm excited to watch the series.
Feb 20, 2023 6:52 PM

Jul 2021
Had my doubts at first but it seems promising, too fast paced in the first half and the humor is a bit cringe but its still better than some other anime Ive seen.  Atleast it picks up quickly. Better see were it goes...
AzafuseKingToraFeb 20, 2023 7:30 PM
Aug 28, 2023 7:59 PM

Apr 2016
Well, they went straight to point, it had moments that were very funny (the way that horse basically got scorched xD) and the blue girl seems to be a nice counterpoint to the other two so not a bad start but it wasn't that great either.

Don't think I would have liked this as a kid, I would have found the red-girl and the glasses-girl too annoying to care xD
Sep 8, 2023 8:00 PM
Jan 2023
Loving the 90's animation and the chibi style! I already love the dynamic between the 3 girls. 3 mgaical girls get summoned to save Cephiro!

Lets see where this adventure goes!
Dec 30, 2023 6:17 PM

Oct 2021
Great start for the series, it was actually able to set up the plot in only one episode, amazing.

The art is cool and the lore is interesting, I'll definitely will keep watching.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 20 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 5, 2011

24 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 26, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 19 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 5, 2011

11 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 18 Discussion

YukiPwns00 - Jan 4, 2011

13 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 17, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Magic Knight Rayearth Episode 12 Discussion

Mon_Diamond - Oct 15, 2011

16 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Apr 10, 12:30 AM

» What genre does Magic Knight Rayearth fall in?

funtime43_tr - Mar 31

2 by Puntosmx »»
Apr 2, 7:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.