Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2008 6:16 AM

Nov 2007
the anime is cute XDDD loved it!
Jan 12, 2008 7:53 PM

Aug 2007
Another food-related ed song? Oh boy.

Putting that aside, I'm glad I decided to look at this anime. I like to watch peaceful anime every once in a while so I can forget about exams. (Just kidding about the exam part ^_~.) I'm looking forward to episode 2 whenever it comes out subbed.
Jan 13, 2008 11:52 AM
Dec 2007
I don't know the manga, but its adaptation will be a hell of an animé, judging from the first episode.

The animation is good, I just love the chara-design, the concept seems to be pretty interesting, and the lead characters are just great. It's by far one of the best first episodes I have seen in the autumn and winter seasons. I can't wait for more.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 13, 2008 1:10 PM

Nov 2007
Looks like a very good anime ^^ curious about the next episode, and I LOVE the opening song~
^^

Jan 13, 2008 5:25 PM

Jul 2007
I liked this show so far, for all the reasons others have said. Well, up until the ED, anyway.
Jan 14, 2008 3:41 PM

Jul 2007
the ending song is so adorable!! i have about half of it memorized... =\

i was singing it randomly at work and i'm pretty sure people think i'm the biggest glutton ever.. 'cause I sing about food =\
Jan 14, 2008 5:54 PM
Jan 2008
UTK said:
johnnyd said:
The only thing weird was the absence of nipples in Horo's body... I really can't understand the purpose of censorship!

You're not the only one, but hey I suppose it means it's not like Elfen Lied where you feel like pausing it every time someone else walks into the room just so they don't see something and start the perv alert...

Unfortunately, someone walked into my room and asked, "where the hell are her tits?"

Doesn't matter much to me either way. I enjoyed the episode, look forward to more...

(I need a new roommate.)

Jan 14, 2008 6:09 PM
Oct 2007
I can't wait for the full version of the OP. >_>
moo
Jan 14, 2008 7:07 PM

Apr 2007
Honestly, I really wasn't that impressed. Maybe my expectations were too high, but how they managed to change the anime adaptation so much in comparison to the manga adaptation is beyond me. Hell, why even change it? I don't know how things are in the light novels, but the manga is really good so far, and the anime is just... decent at best.

They made so many changes and none of them are good ones (Chloe, for example). I think they did ok with Horo's voice (considering how they portray her in the anime atleast), but Lawrence's just seems off. I don't know, I guess my expectations were too high after reading some of the manga, but the first episode was just really unimpressive to me.

Also, ROCKY CHACK's ED song (one of the things I was looking forward to the most) was a huge letdown as well. It's kind of catchy, but it's completely different from anything they've done before (and not in a good way).
NeverenderJan 14, 2008 7:11 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2008 7:45 PM
Dec 2007
I'm getting a "I'm mad because they did not follow the manga 100%" vibe in there. It's an adaptation, learn to accept the changes. BTW, I still don't know how people prefer manga characterizations. Much of them are barebones and rushed because of a severe lack of space. But that's a pet peeve I have and I already let it out in the Manga vs Anime thread.

Jan 14, 2008 8:45 PM

Aug 2007
For the record Okami to Koshinryo is a light-novel first, manga second. That means that the manga is only an adaptation of the light novel, not the original work itself.

If the "hardcore" fans are going to compare the different adaptations, then compare it to the light novel; yes this applies to the manga as well.

I find it highly amusing that most seem to think that just because the manga exist, it automatically becomes the "original" work :-)

Also, the reason for the no nipples is due to rating issues. Showing a nipple (animated or real) on broadcast TV will automatically raise its rating (think of Elfen Lied). This will force the anime to a heavily unfavorable time slot just because some fans want their nipples. The light novel itself is considered shonen, while the manga adaptation is seinen. Compared to anime, a manga has more leniency when it comes to these things; especially if the manga is marketed as seinen.
PimpToadJan 14, 2008 8:50 PM
Jan 15, 2008 7:53 AM

Apr 2007
Leon-Gun said:
I'm getting a "I'm mad because they did not follow the manga 100%" vibe in there. It's an adaptation, learn to accept the changes. BTW, I still don't know how people prefer manga characterizations. Much of them are barebones and rushed because of a severe lack of space. But that's a pet peeve I have and I already let it out in the Manga vs Anime thread.

Lol, your "vibe" is completely off and all you've done is make assumptions. I don't know many times I stressed "to me" it was a disappointment, or "to me" some things felt odd. I'm not mad, simply disappointed, because like I said, my expectations may have been too high after reading the manga first and I happened to enjoy that adaptation more (which is unusual for me, and I hate it when people say that the manga is always better). I watched this series expecting something very similar to the manga and got something completely different, that's all. Not every post is going to be "I loved it," but at the same time I'm not saying I can't understand the people who did enjoy it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2008 9:54 AM
Jan 2008
It was suprisingly good. I'm definetly going to check next ep :)
Jan 17, 2008 10:35 PM

Jul 2007
I like it. The one brief scene in the opening reminded me of Princess Mononoke so it's like Mononoke-hime transposed to middle ages europe. It also seems to be a more realistic depiction of medieval Europe than you find in most anime.
Jan 19, 2008 6:21 PM
Oct 2007
Hmmm

It's not too bad, but to be honest the human/animal thing freaks me out big time.
Jan 25, 2008 8:12 PM

Nov 2007
Oh hey, this is actually pretty good. Horo is good stuff. Love the voicework for her and Lawrence.
Feb 15, 2008 3:40 PM

Oct 2007
Very nice episode. The opening song was beautiful, and the ending song was quite catchy.
Feb 24, 2008 2:05 PM

Nov 2007
maxcherry715 said:
It was good, had a certain enjoyable charm.

I agree. I actually really liked this episode, I haven't read the manga so I have no idea what might happen next. I'm excited :]
Mar 8, 2008 5:31 AM
Sep 2007
I finally saw episode 1, and it has me hooked so far with both the story and characters. I can understand why it's weird not to see the nipple, but since it really is all about the ratings, I see why they are not there. It doesn't affect the story though, that's the most important thing.
Mar 28, 2008 5:04 PM

Jan 2008
So far so good, it's very historicaly accurate (Next to Les Miserables: Shojou Cosette)
Plus the nudity was tastefully done, I will have to wait for more character/story developement later on of course. But Horo is a very interesting character, I like her voice.
----
My signature sucks right now :C
Apr 19, 2008 7:03 AM

Oct 2007
its very good for ep 1 i think il keep watch it.^^
i really hate the ed its really weird lol.
Apr 19, 2008 10:58 PM

Jan 2008
a bit different from the manga... it was funny that he got scared when he saw the arm haha
May 21, 2008 4:13 AM

Apr 2007
Finally got around to starting this. I absolutely love the OP. I've been listening to it constantly over the past month after watching it from a link off a recommendation thread. I figure I should actually watch what comes after the OP now ^^

This was a nice starting episode. I felt the way the nudity was handled was fine. The rest of the music was OK and the animation was really nice, especially some of the background work. So far it's a good start.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jul 25, 2008 10:42 AM

Jun 2008
A friend recommended this anime to me. I'm so glad I started watching it! The first episode was very interesting! I plant to watch the whole thing. I loved the animation, storyline & music. Horo is so cute!! XD
Aug 28, 2008 1:22 PM

Jun 2007
finally got around to watching the first episode completely.

i liked the concept, i liked the characters (specially horo and chloe), and i liked the animation and the art. no more to say. pretty awesome anime.
Oct 3, 2008 1:24 PM

Aug 2008
Was interestin and nice the 1st episode ...
Oct 6, 2008 5:35 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting show. Horo is pretty cool so far.

Also, the ED is kind of stupid. Japanese people singing English does NOT sound good.
Oct 11, 2008 5:06 PM

Feb 2008
Really interesting episode.
Horo is adorable.
The ending is great even though the english is horrible.
Nov 5, 2008 11:34 AM

Jun 2008
Interesting, enjoyable, why haven't I watched this show sooner?
I can't seem to find any English subs though, so I settled for Spanish.
I thought the opening was nice, the ending a little odd but very cute.

I <3 Horo~!
Jan 16, 2009 2:22 AM

Jul 2008
An interesting enough first episode, we'll see where it goes.
Jan 18, 2009 11:55 PM

May 2008
cyruz said:
Horo is really cute

This is incorrect, she is actually holy flipping amazingly cute.

Looks like a great anime, looking forward to more!
Mar 27, 2009 7:10 PM

Jul 2008
This is indeed interesting, and I loved the opening song. I was hoping the ending song was going to be of the same proportions, but I'll just say that was quite a surprise.

The VA's are also quite nice also, I hope to enjoy this one.
Mar 30, 2009 5:27 AM

May 2007
Interesting first episode. The abstance of the nipples irked me, but Horo was still beautiful (and no, not in a perverted way.) It'll be interesting to see what plans does the God have for Lawrence.
Apr 4, 2009 2:46 AM

Jan 2009
DaBigD said:
The abstance of the nipples irked me.

Agree.

Anyway. Interesting concept, i love the feudal theme. The music is very cool also, it goes along with the series. And of course Fukuyama Jun is fucking awesome, obviusly Ami Koshimizu, she was great as well, they both can do whatever character they want and they will still rock. So yeah, definetly going good. The first episode was really nice, i kinda disliked the ending but loved the opening.

*Rushing to the next episode*

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Apr 23, 2009 9:03 PM

Dec 2008
Excelent opening, still remains in my head, Horo as the Japanese say "totemo kawaii"
May 15, 2009 3:08 PM

Sep 2008
I love the opening and endings :D

Jun 13, 2009 5:11 AM

May 2008
started re watching it and I'm liking this a lot again! Horo is really cute, the animationg was nice and the music felt right, too. I'm definitely looking forward to more. And on a side note, the BSS sub is really good.
preparation for the second season.
Jul 4, 2009 12:11 AM

Nov 2007
Seems like a fun series from what I've seen so far, Horo is so cute :3
Jul 30, 2009 4:47 PM

Jul 2009
truly-mega-super-hyper-ultra-chocolate-pizza-fondue-awesomly awesome XD

MagicalEmi said:
I like that Lawrence is older than 15. I like how she manages to be nude for most of the episode, yet it still seems less obnoxious and fanservicey than Rosario+Vampire. I look forward to watching more.

completely agree.
Aug 11, 2009 3:59 AM

Aug 2009
Hm, I can remember some Slavs' myths, no, there was't Wolves, but was rule of last sheaf
Aug 14, 2009 1:41 AM

Nov 2008
Wow that was an awesome episode, I really loved the atmosphere and the work on the luminosity.
Aug 15, 2009 4:27 PM
Feb 2009
i was wondering h0w merchers make their money, and this show might show me how do they make their swindling.
Sep 15, 2009 6:00 PM

Jul 2009
I was scared coming into this series, as I had heard the first few episodes are incredibly slow. I absolutely loved episode one though, and hope the next few episodes will keep it going well.

I came into the series as I had a sudden urge to watch a series that doesn't deal with super powers, giant robots, general death and destruction and masses of none-serious comedy plot. This was probably the only anime I've ever heard of that deals with economics, though I'm sure theres plenty, I thought I'd start with a popular one. Needless to say I'm fairly impressed, and the idea is completely unique and original as of the first episode.
Sep 18, 2009 8:19 AM

Aug 2009
Horo's ears and tail look like fox's not wolf's. Maybe then Spice and Fox&
Oct 4, 2009 10:07 PM

Aug 2009
Really interesting first episode. I hope it'll live up to its hype, although that has failed me before.... Either way, I downloaded it in a torrent batch so I'm going to watch it all, nonetheless. I like the historical theme here and the music reminds of this Final Fantasy game I played on gamecube back in ancient history. The ED was cute despite the Engrish and I really like the voice acting for Horo.

sovaca said:
Horo's ears and tail look like fox's not wolf's. Maybe then Spice and Fox&

Lulz thought the same thing.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Oct 16, 2009 4:39 PM

Aug 2009
Very nice episode. We get to see an Anime from Medieval times, I guess. Horo is just pure win. I loved everything about her, especially the eyes. Wonder what's her true form.

Although I only love Lawrence because Fukuyama Jun is doing his voice. <3
Oct 24, 2009 5:52 AM

Jun 2009
Just watched episode one.

Something about this anime is telling me the show will be good.

This episode have no exciting stuff, no climax, almost nothing but introduction, but the air of the show...

somehow, I believe even if the show continue on the same pace, I might still finish it... some sort of charm I suppose.
Oct 28, 2009 9:45 AM
Sep 2009
i love this, it's one of few animes which is good and set in the past.

as a bonus it seems to be set in england as well as i was told stories about the pagan wolf god when i was small.

who'd have though living in the country would be useful in anime XD
Nov 9, 2009 5:53 PM

Jun 2009
That first episode did pretty much every thing right. Horo is an interesting character and Lawrence has potential, but this show will live and die on these two. So, I hope it keeps up the good work.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 21, 2009 5:58 PM

Mar 2008
5 out of 5: Loved it! (your vote)

God this was good. Wish I hadn't taken so long to watch this. Anyhow, looking forward to the next episode. Horo moe~

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
Yesterday, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.