Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 2, 2019 6:42 PM
Apr 2016
Holo is such a smug girl, she seems very dominant and sweet! Love her already. This show is looking very fun.
Jan 4, 2020 10:18 AM

Sep 2018
Not much to say yet but it seems like an interesting show, I held it off for so long so I hope it’ll be as good as people say.

Besides that, the show gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
I do feel bad for Holo, the village basically betrayed her and used her up til they didn’t need her anymore. Humans are sad creatures ngl.
Jun 3, 2020 6:52 PM

May 2019
BashZeStampeedo said:
_Dazzle_ said:
Pretty underwhelming, no overblown scenes, except for that transformation leaving Lawrence truly stricken by fear. Also, I find it weird how Lawrence can talk to a naked girl with such a straight face. Is he... impotent or lacks a libido? wuut? solid 3.5/5 right now. Nothing too special?

He's just not a teenager (and especially not your average anime teenager).

This. Sometimes is tiring how anime authors (and imature audience) insists in retarded male chars, and is a relief when we see an exception.
Jun 11, 2020 11:35 PM
Oct 2019
Pretty underwhelming first episode. Nothing really captured my attention. 5/10

Lawrence seems pretty bland. If I end up liking this series, I doubt it'll be due to him.

Holo is more carefree. They at least started on her backstory some. Some wheat wolf harvest god thing that no longer has a purpose and decides to leave. Who knows if it'll live up to it, but there's at least potential here.

Chloe seemed ok enough. But I wonder how much more we'll even see of her since Larry left town.

Those were the only 3 characters.
Sep 1, 2020 2:48 AM

Jul 2020
Not that interesting episode but will still give it a try.
Jan 20, 2021 7:27 AM

Jul 2017
Rewatching this after 3 years, just felt like it as I also rewatch Moribito along with this.

Overall, the first episode here was okay. Visually, looks plain and somewhat cheap given how the studio at the time lacked a ton of experience (and still does now), and the director hadn't worked on big projects like this beforehand. Felt like a glorified PowerPoint presentation at times with drawings lacking detail, but I'll get used to it fast. The designs are still good enough, and the music does help on the production side.

The character introductions of Kraft Lawrence and Holo were still solid, although I did prefer the introduction of the novel surprisingly a lot more than this, but the dub and the dialogue did help make it still feel enjoyable and refreshing nonetheless. The setting and story still hasn't been fully established just yet other than introducing that Lawrence is a merchant and Holo wants to travel with him for now, while wanting to return north in the long run, but the potential is definitely there.

Jun 23, 2021 2:43 AM

Nov 2014
After 20 minutes, the woman finally puts clothes on.

Nothing else of note to mention.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 12, 2022 12:34 PM

Nov 2013
Hmm... have been planning on watching this for years. Rather random encounter between Holo and the merchant guy. Despite him being incredibly dense (Chloe couldn't have given any more hints, dammit!) , I'm surprised he never mentioned "You're naked!" to Holo...

Anyways, as far as I know this show belongs to the "slow progression" and "relaxation" type, so the first episode was ok.

Since there will be a reboot (most likely), I think I'll watch this and then compare.
Apr 30, 2022 7:54 AM
Dec 2020
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Hmm... have been planning on watching this for years. Rather random encounter between Holo and the merchant guy. Despite him being incredibly dense (Chloe couldn't have given any more hints, dammit!) , I'm surprised he never mentioned "You're naked!" to Holo...

Anyways, as far as I know this show belongs to the "slow progression" and "relaxation" type, so the first episode was ok.

Since there will be a reboot (most likely), I think I'll watch this and then compare.
a reboot? Or re-animation since those two have different meaning (not to find the error or sth, I just ask bc I really don't know XD)
Apr 30, 2022 10:04 AM

Nov 2013
Threyja said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

a reboot? Or re-animation since those two have different meaning (not to find the error or sth, I just ask bc I really don't know XD)

I think it's not fully known yet xD
Aug 14, 2022 10:13 PM
Nov 2019
i liked it. it was good lol
Aug 26, 2022 12:12 AM
Jun 2022
there was many fan services. its bad!
Aug 28, 2022 6:09 AM
Oct 2020
Not 4 me, idk, too much nudity and felt 0 hooked by the history
Sep 19, 2022 11:31 AM
Mar 2022
boring af shit plot npc characters
Sep 22, 2022 4:57 PM
Oct 2018
Went in completely blind, was a bid different than what I was expected. But it has a unique story and the two lead characters played well off each other. Excited to see where this goes.
Oct 5, 2022 2:32 PM
Dec 2016
The voice actor for the main character doesn't fit at all with his appearance. The first second the MC spoke ruined the episode for me.
Oct 18, 2022 12:33 AM

Jan 2022
Why exactly do dis bitch got no nips???
-insert NGE meme here-
Nov 3, 2022 11:20 PM
Nov 2022
this episode was amazing and its a good start for the series
Jan 10, 2023 10:54 PM

Jul 2019
I've been meaning to watch this for a long time but something always comes in the way. It was an all right start, nothing awesome but interesting enough for me to look forward to the rest.
Jun 26, 2023 12:24 PM

Mar 2022
Ahhh Spice and Wolf, now this is an anime I've been putting off for quite some time and I finally got around to watching the first episode. Obviously I'm aware of the opening cuz it was one of the first things I knew about before watching the anime is that the Opening theme as well as the opening itself is amazing. Absolutely amazing, I'd say it's one of my favourite anime openings when it comes to mid 2000s animes in general. Anyways onto the actual episode, it was good as first episodes go, not a lot happened in it but that's fine because it kept me interested enough to see the next episode. 

Essentially what this episode is doing like most animes is establish the setting and the cast in this case for the latter, Lawrence and Holo. Lawrence I feel is a very interesting character and he's not the typical sort of hero you'd expect in an anime and that he's a travelling merchant who's visiting a village selling his merchandise on his wagon, Holo is the more energetic of the two and is very mysterious and very snarky at times which so far I'm really liking the two. Music and visuals are really good, fitting the tone and look of the show altogether which I do get the impression it's meant to be a more calmer, mellower sort of show which I can get behind.

Chole definitely has a thing for Lawrence if that scene with them together is any indication. And apparently the latter is teaching her about his craft which I can only assume she's some kind of apprentice to him of some description, maybe not but she is essentially recalling information about his trade in that scene. Ultimately a good first episode not impressive but still interesting enough to see what's gonna happen next.
Sep 12, 2023 9:49 AM

Dec 2022
Seems decent so far, but what I have noticed is that this nails the setting of the European medieval/renaissance countryside. Despite not being my favourite setting, this anime depicts it in a charming way, with the sprawling golden hills of wheat and the rustic watermills by the river. Even the village felt lively.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 25, 2023 7:07 PM
Jul 2017
interesting concept, lets see where it goes

not a fan of the fan service
Mar 26, 3:37 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
First of all, wow the OP is amazing

Second, I'm picking this up again after dropping it after a few episodes back in late 2020. Ngl I just heard Holo was an S-tier waifu and that's why I tried watching this. And after a couple episodes, I thought that she was kind of mid. Now though, with the remake literally around the corner and airing next week, I've picked this up again, and WOW yes Holo is an s-tier waifu, and heck so is that chloe girl as well. Who, from the looks of it, are maybe the same person, or using the same body or something? I'm not sure, I didn't get that far before I dropped it. But yeah after watching hundreds more anime, I can now appreciate what this anime is, and see that yes holo indeed is waifu asf. Sometimes, a second viewing can be a superior experience, knowing what you're getting, rather than going in blind and hoping for one thing and getting something else. I'll be looking forward to finally watching this properly now.

Third, how tf do those close which apparently were tailored perfectly for Lawrence also perfectly fit on Holo's petite body. Huh???

Fourth, the ED reminds me of that OP (or was it ED?) from Princess Principal. I dig it. The lyrics tho? Seven seeds to plant inside of me?? Ayo???

Fifth, some guy pointed out that this could be called "Wolf and Wallstreet". Yes sir looking forward to some economics. Can't be too bad though, right?

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 27, 5:40 AM

Jul 2023
I know the remake is a few episodes away, but I might as well cram the episodes because I wasn't able to watch this back in the day.

Anyway, I'm getting an inkling as to why some people love Holo and have these holoposts.

The episode is off to a great start. I like the description of some that this is economics disguised as mediæval fantasy.
Apr 30, 7:56 AM

Jan 2018
Finally decided to give the OG Spice and Wolf a shot since I'm enjoying the remake.

Wow. I already knew the old Spice and Wolf was not completely faithful to the novels. But I didn't think I'd see a major difference in the very first episode. The character Chloe is completely anime-original. And in the Remake, Holo doesn't show Lawrence her true form.

I like that the music vibes of both the OP and ED carried over to the Remake's OP and ED. Definitely wasn't expecting that at all.

The voice acting also feels so different even though it's the same voice actors. Lawrence sounds... so much younger. Obviously, since the VAs were younger. But I think I like the older voice in the remake a bit more. His face actually matches his voice.

Same goes for Holo. She sounds more upbeat in the Remake. Honestly, I think I prefer the Remake version more.

This reminds me of an exchange I saw in the comments of a post once. One guy was complaining that Remake Holo sounds too tsundere-type and doesn't fit her old voice at all. Then another guy reminded him that it's the same voice actress. Then he kept complaining about how it was still somehow bad. Lol. Just looking for stupid excuses to hate.

One thing I don't get is why does Holo have a Barbie doll body. Is it intentional or is it because of censorship? Either way, it's weird and I'm kinda glad the Remake didn't go down this road.

Let's see how different the rest of the episodes are.
0451May 7, 7:11 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
Today, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
Yesterday, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.