Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 5, 2015 7:37 AM
Nov 2014
Funny af, that scene when Gintoki was trying to hit the underwear thief... lmao.
Oct 12, 2015 2:18 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, the land mines killed me!

5/5
Nov 2, 2015 8:10 AM
Jan 2012
good,but greatly exaggerated. Jokes with pants doesn't have funny today.
The final joke with landmines saved the episode.
Nov 19, 2015 12:52 PM

Oct 2013
the fuck was this episode. I found this episode personally offensive. My pride as a man is tattered!

ZadionNov 19, 2015 1:02 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 19, 2015 12:54 PM

Jan 2014
my favourite episode so far~~
Dec 30, 2015 5:02 PM

Jul 2015
That was the most awkward episode thus far lol
Jan 31, 2016 4:11 PM

Jan 2016
Panty thief. Wow.
Random landmines though
Feb 28, 2016 7:44 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode :D
Does anyone know if that ending part is actually legit? Did they actually send panties to guys? ahahah 10/10 best anime ever haha
That pantie-stealer reminds me of Shimoneta xD I mean the stuff about stealing panties.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 27, 2016 2:04 PM

Jul 2013
It was kinda funny, not the funniest so far.

A panty theif, hmmm.

I liked when Sugo told Hijikata he gave him the charity panties though lol.

Awww, Gin don't need any help with the ladies ;)
Aug 8, 2016 11:40 PM

Nov 2013
Eh.

Second smirk of the show. The fact that the device’s name is literally “Something Like… A Land Mine.” is so fucking stupid I couldn’t have predicted it.

Nothing else to say about this one. At least they’ve had a 2 episode streak of only being mostly awful.
Dec 10, 2016 8:20 PM

Mar 2016
This one crossed the line from funny to stupid. I don't think land mines or panties are particularly funny. Rated 2, for too dumb.
-- Rich
May 16, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2014
so that's what elizabeth look like, and old man selling elizabeth doll, and with jamaica reggae mask lol

Kagura wearing bruce lee cloth lol
Jul 14, 2017 6:14 AM

Apr 2014
Oh my, I finally laughed. I guess plot about panties crack me up the most.
Aug 1, 2017 1:39 AM

May 2013
Seems many ppl took quite a liking to this ep.... X) not my fave, personally. Idrc about the perverted jokes/panty thief type of plotline. Meh. Had a chuckle here and there though so that was nice :) I really enjoyed the little extra at the end :D THAT was funny.
Aug 19, 2017 1:26 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
VARIAchan said:
Lol, Sougo and his pranks on Toshi. <3

I swar this guy is the best thing 4 me in the whole anime xD

Nov 19, 2017 7:14 AM

Jul 2012
funny episode.. i liked it :D
it was cool to see the scenes of sisterhood between tae and kagura
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Jan 25, 2018 8:37 AM

May 2015
Panties. Panties everywhere.

Landmines won this episode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 2, 2018 9:57 PM

Mar 2017
Silly but amusing episode. The landmines thing was kind of annoying after a while. imo.
Aug 10, 2018 5:06 AM

Jan 2014
This was gold, the shinsengumi and odd jobs together, epic!
Oct 26, 2018 2:31 AM

May 2018
Funniest episode so far.
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Feb 12, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2017
That skull-faced rasta was a pretty cool character design.
May 17, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2018
I think I am finally starting to realize why people think this show is so funny.
Jun 9, 2019 2:21 PM
Apr 2016
LMAO the land mine scenes were too damn hilarious, I couldn't breathe out of laughter hahahahah. Amazing episode.
Oct 25, 2019 1:50 AM

Mar 2015
That was hilarious, as usual!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 24, 2020 12:27 AM

Aug 2018
This is why i dont trust reviews they said this show got good around ep 50+ but i found it already good around ep 3.

This ep was so fucking hilarious, lmao to Otae and the landmines xD
I laughed so hard on this
funniest ep so far

Looking forward for more hilariousness from this series lol
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 3, 2020 12:32 AM

Jul 2020
That was a weird episode but it was so hilarious.
Jan 10, 2021 2:45 AM

Jun 2020
Dude it's the funniest ep yet lmaoo , masked laoin cloth bandit helping the otaku losers , i'm dead
Apr 9, 2021 9:07 AM
May 2020
hornyy levels increased in this ep
May 2, 2021 7:36 PM
Jan 2017
Least favorite episode so far unfortunately. Did not like any of the jokes. Oh well.
May 30, 2021 8:57 PM

Jul 2020
As always, I enjoyed the episode

I honestly could stop laughing when Shinpachi kept yelling out Stefan's name whenever his sister stabbed him Poor Stefan at the beginning of the episode, he honestly didn't deserve the fate that he got, but I honestly did not expect Shinpachi's sister to suddenly become really pissed off, even more than the previous times where we see her pissed off

I also couldn't stop laughing at the fact that the panty thief was some old dude that would just wear a loincloth and a pair of briefs whenever he goes out stealing panties, and I couldn't stop laughing at the scene with Kondo grabbing his leg and just repeatedly stepping on him, but of course, we had Shinpachi's sister deliver the final blow

I personally had a really good laugh out of this episode, and I'm definitely excited to see what's next!
May 31, 2021 12:46 PM

Nov 2020
Land mines 1:0 Odd Jobs
Jun 27, 2021 4:46 PM

Oct 2019
The most preposterous episode yet, and I mean in a bad way. The panty thief bits were funny but treating freaking land mines as harmless toys / gags that will affect noone (for more than a few minutes) was, quite frankly, offending to every single land mine victim, both the maimed survivors and the ones who died.

There was nothing funny about characters "being-blown-up-but-not-really" from all these land mines. Just imagine having lost your leg from a land mine and watching this episode treat them like toys. I wonder... would the writers expect you to laugh, be offended and perhaps get angry, or would they just not give a rat's ass about how you'd react? I kind of feel it's the last one..
Germs_N_Spices said:

People who find it unfunny aside, seems like you're about the only one who gets upset about this around here. By your logic, GTO makes fun of gang violence and bully victims; NGNL makes fun of agoraphobic people; Kaguya-sama lampoons people with communication problems, bully victims, people with parents issues in real life, and people suffering from severe academic pressures; heck, how DARE One Piece glorify pirates when modern pirates raid commercial ships, capture sailors, torture and kill dozens of people every year? What CAN you even make a comedy skit about when any form of literature bases itself on a tiny bit of reality, which is always relevant to some sort of real-life issue with serious consequences?

Enjoying ANY fiction requires you to take plot out of real-life context. Obviously One Piece pirates are not representative of pirates in real life. Battle shonen can't care about every victim of violent crime out there and detective mystery can't care about every murder victim. In the same way, nothing about this episode remotely resembles how landmines are used in real life. They even called it "something like landmines"-so why would anybody do the mental gynmastics to equate it to real life and take offence from absurdist humor?

I understand your points but I still think using land mines as gags was a step too far. After all, I have taken no offence with any of the examples you mentioned or any of the humor of the previous episodes of Gintama. By and large I do not take offence, with almost anything. Well, regarding this particular one it might just be me, who knows. Perhaps it hit rather close to home.. If I'm indeed "the only one" then it must mean I'm wrong right (I'm jesting, of course, since that would be the majority fallacy)?

By the way, your analogies are not quite on the level of land mines either. They are not even in the same neighborhood. I could give you gang violence (grudgingly, since there is no single cause or weapon that drives it, unlike land mines; furthermore, covering gang violence provides a lot of opportunities for social commentary etc, again unlike ridiculing land mines), but did you seriously compare people with communication issues / agoraphobia / parental issues / academic pressures & bullying victims with people being killed and maimed from land mines? These have nothing to do with "my logic", they are your own analogies.

To be frank I could sense the reluctance of the writers in using land mines as a gag. They had Shinpachi act as the voice of reason (as usual), mentioning that they are (indeed) outlawed by the Geneva Convention and had Toushiro (or was it Sougo?) say that they are "something like" land mines, as you mentioned. Reluctant or not they still used them though. In retrospect the above comments felt more like lampshading (pointing out the issue to reduce its severity) than reluctance.

Anyway, after having very belatedly just started Gintama, I suppose in 50, 200 or 500 episodes that I might again take offence with one of their crude jokes I will be back here to whine ^.^

Facktack said:
@Sharpedon you're acting like a Twitter user. This was only meant to be a stupid gag nothing else.

Stupid indeed. Exactly.
[since I'm "acting like a Twitter user" I need to be concise, right? :) ]
SharpedonJul 21, 2021 5:41 PM
Jun 29, 2021 4:37 AM

Oct 2016
Sharpedon said:
The most preposterous episode yet, and I mean in a bad way. The panty thief bits were funny but treating freaking land mines as harmless toys / gags that will affect noone (for more than a few minutes) was, quite frankly, offending to every single land mine victim, both the maimed survivors and the ones who died.

There was nothing funny about characters "being-blown-up-but-not-really" from all these land mines. Just imagine having lost your leg from a land mine and watching this episode treat them like toys. I wonder... would the writers expect you to laugh, be offended and perhaps get angry, or would they just not give a rat's ass about how you'd react? I kind of feel it's the last one..

People who find it unfunny aside, seems like you're about the only one who gets upset about this around here. By your logic, GTO makes fun of gang violence and bully victims; NGNL makes fun of agoraphobic people; Kaguya-sama lampoons people with communication problems, bully victims, people with parents issues in real life, and people suffering from severe academic pressures; heck, how DARE One Piece glorify pirates when modern pirates raid commercial ships, capture sailors, torture and kill dozens of people every year? What CAN you even make a comedy skit about when any form of literature bases itself on a tiny bit of reality, which is always relevant to some sort of real-life issue with serious consequences?

Enjoying ANY fiction requires you to take plot out of real-life context. Obviously One Piece pirates are not representative of pirates in real life. Battle shonen can't care about every victim of violent crime out there and detective mystery can't care about every murder victim. In the same way, nothing about this episode remotely resembles how landmines are used in real life. They even called it "something like landmines"-so why would anybody do the mental gynmastics to equate it to real life and take offence from absurdist humor?
Germs_N_SpicesJun 29, 2021 4:41 AM
Jun 29, 2021 9:56 AM

Oct 2016
Sharpedon said:

Germs_N_Spices said:

I understand your points but I still think using land mines as gags was a step too far. After all, I have taken no offence with any of the examples you mentioned or any of the humor of the previous episodes of Gintama. By and large I do not take offence, with almost anything. Well, regarding this particular one it might just be me, who knows. Perhaps it hit rather close to home.. If I'm indeed "the only one" then it must mean I'm wrong right (I'm jesting, of course, since that would be the majority fallacy)?

By the way, your analogies are not quite on the level of land mines either. They are not even in the same neighborhood. I could give you gang violence (grudgingly, since there is no single cause or weapon that drives it, unlike land mines; furthermore, covering gang violence provides a lot of opportunities for social commentary etc, again unlike ridiculing land mines), but did you seriously compare people with communication issues / agoraphobia / parental issues / academic pressures & bullying victims with people being killed and maimed from land mines? These have nothing to do with "my logic", they are your own analogies.

To be frank I could sense the reluctance of the writers in using land mines as a gag. They had Shinpachi act as the voice of reason (as usual), mentioning that they are (indeed) outlawed by the Geneva Convention and had Toushiro (or was it Sougo?) say that they are "something like" land mines, as you mentioned. Reluctant or not they still used them though. In retrospect the above comments felt more like lampshading (pointing out the issue to reduce its severity) than reluctance.

Anyway, after having very belatedly just started Gintama, I suppose in 50, 200 or 500 episodes that I might again take offence with one of their crude jokes I will be back here to whine ^.^

You have yet to give me any concrete evidence why my analogies are NOT comparable to landmines and why landmines alone are categorically singled out. Mental disorders that collectively encompass agoraphobia, familial fragmentation, and social anxiety disorders could be tremendously debilitating, and in worst cases they lead to suicide which acccount for more than 700,000 deaths worldwide. On the other hand, exaggerated violence is no stranger to the animated medium as dynamites and black round bombs are essentially staples in cartoons. Shinpachi mentioning how dangerous landmines are is precisely the joke, since this brand of violent humor relies precisely on the contrast between the extreme means and the mundane objective. It's a combination of Comedic Sociopathy and Amusing Injuries catalogued by TV Tropes. We can make all of these to be a bigger issue than they are, and I concede people can have personal traumas and disdains for particular tropes, but my point is I fail to see the criteria you use to draw the line between what is acceptable and unacceptable. Gintama clearly does not portray landmines in realistic ways, much the same way as the mountain of comedy cartoons and anime that precedes it.
Germs_N_SpicesJun 29, 2021 10:01 AM
Jul 20, 2021 5:34 AM
Mar 2021
Sharpedon said:

Germs_N_Spices said:

@Sharpedon you're acting like a Twitter user. This was only meant to be a stupid gag nothing else.
Sep 19, 2021 4:04 AM

Jun 2021
Funny as hell, including those shots of the otakus and the post credits scene.
Nov 8, 2021 1:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh damn that panty thief, the explosive mines worked perfectly... but on everyone XD that was hilarious
Jan 3, 2022 6:44 AM
Jul 2018
The most cringey episode yet but the most funniest as well!
A full on Pervert Episode with Panties everywhere XD
5/5 Episode!!
Feb 8, 2022 3:14 AM

Apr 2013
Was an okay episode, but those land mine jokes were hella predictable.
Feb 17, 2022 9:39 AM

Feb 2021
an episode about panties, like I didn't see that coming with all the juvenile humor

I'm still not laughing but admittedly enjoying it more. I'll give it a few more episodes and see if I'll keep going
Aug 8, 2022 11:49 AM

Jun 2021
needed to return here 'cause this is still among the funniest episodes from the italian dub times (from 1 to 49)

that Elizabeth doll was cool, it deserved to survive. And when Tae tell everyone what was going on, someone called Kondo was under the table, and had the audacity of telling Gintoki "this is why you have bad luck with women". Yes, Kondo, of all people. Kondo. He deserved to hurt his own hand after, also, what was he thinking?

35° edition... of what? (as Shinpachi points out). Everyone raises their weapons, Yamazaki... his tennis racket again. Even if later he switches from tennis to bowling with coworkers considering how clumsy he is in a knight armor

Shinpachi, you remind that people with glasses must not be beaten, but you are different. You are a pair of glasses that wears a human, so you're not above anything.

"wait, did we made a mines map?"...

And even after i'm almost 270 episodes in, the forever virgins montage and how much the thief is dedicated to their wishes, is something i never forgot for how much it still makes me laugh hard since the very first time, even if i'm one of them and couldn't care less about having lingerie

GINTOKI ATTACKS!!!!!!!! no, wait. The mines, yeah.
The thief lost, yeah, celebrate!!!!!!!!! No, wait. The mines, again.

and luckily i forgot after the first watch the final after credits commercial with the thief returning and asking in the cards "reasons why you're unsuccessful with women". Tae, make him disappear. Damn.
Nov 13, 2022 10:08 PM

Jul 2012
god this was stupid funny
Feb 22, 2023 12:50 PM

Mar 2019
Wasn't a fan of this episode since pantsu jokes are boring but the landmines part was kind of nice, lol.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jul 31, 2023 12:45 PM

Aug 2022
I loved seeing Shinsengumi work together with Odd Jobs!
Sep 16, 2023 6:42 AM
Oct 2019
I mean it was funny. Super fucking weird but funny
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Dec 2018
Reply to Vanessa-
Seems like I'm alone with that here... for me it was the worst episode so far. All the gags were unfunny or totally predictable (mines..) :/ Bleeding nose is also old stuff. Underwear thief?... meh.
@Vanessa- You're not the only one, it was completely boring, the most unfunny yet. Idk how people find it funny tbh...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 53 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Apr 7, 2008

86 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 201 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

garfield15 - Mar 25, 2010

252 by szadam11 »»
Today, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

playconn - Feb 14, 2008

76 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Today, 2:08 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 77 Discussion ( 1 2 )

nehnehneji - Sep 8, 2008

94 by Iamtragedy »»
Yesterday, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 153 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

PandaPuff - Apr 16, 2009

156 by ZYChronoAce »»
May 12, 12:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.